TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that this was bad at all...in fact, it's really probably better that they don't spend a lot of money and have something criticized for it not looking "good enough" or something. I mean, I don't go to Six Flags for immersive theming either, and in fact, when they make me watch the videos at Terminator or Dark Knight, I wish they wouldn't.

So this is just fine for me!

--Robb "El Toro didn't need theming to be the best wooden roller coaster in the world!" Alvey

Any predictions as to if this Wednesday will be crowded? I'm hoping the fact that it's a weekday when school is still in session will help us out. I've never been in may before though, so I dunno

Should be empty, I went on a Wednesday last year in May, almost all rides walk ons. Weekdays in May and June (before school lets out) are almost always empty unless there is an event scheduled.

How is El Toro holding up these days? I rode Balder this weekend and it was a bit bumpy around the turns. Not uncomfortable in any ways, but noticable. The turns on Balder are very mild and gentle so It really made me wonder if the ride experience on El Toro has changed since I rode it in 2008, particularly through those crazy turns towards the end. Is it still smooth and comfortable through the entire ride??

Rode El Toro three times on Sunday and it was AMAZING (as usual).

ALSO, rode Green Lantern today with a co-worker for a bit on the radio. I posted the audio here if you'd like to listen...

http://www.mediafire.com/?kg2ghg6si9d5gaz

Rode Chang a few years ago, but I don't remember liking it as much as I like Green Lantern. Really enjoyed it!!

I went today and the park was actually pretty crowded unfortunately. I was hoping it would be empty but I guess it could've been much worse. Some comments:

-Green Lantern was okay. It was fun but I'm not really a fan of stand-ups. I dunno if I'm doing it wrong or something, but my legs feel weird during the really forceful parts even though I listen to what the ride ops say. Also, it was really funny that the ride ops had to announce to everyone not to sit on the ride

-I feel like the queue (for GL) is kind of bad in terms of shade. They have random small snipets of awning over a few parts, but we were dying in the sun

-At the beginning of the day, Nitro, Batman: TR, and TDK were all walk-ons, but the park got really crowded around noon and stayed that way until closing basically. Bizarro's queue was almost completely filled, GL was filled up until the area before the first switchbacks right at the queue entrance, and El Toro was completely filled at one point.

-Kingda Ka broke down a few times. The last time it went down for about 2 hours and didn't re-open until around 5:30. We were lucky and happened to be around when it re-opened so we got a walk-on. They were only running one side and weren't loading both trains at once though

-We saved El Toro for the end (around 5:30) and it was about a 10-15 minute wait. As it got closer to 6, it was basically a walk-on and we went on 3 more times.

-Didn't bother with Superman but I heard it broke down at least once and the line was really long. Rolling Thunder was as painful as ever. Only one side was running.

Overall, I had fun but I think my SFGadv trips have been getting progressively crappier and crappier. Also, the shade problem has been getting worse. I remember Toro used to have a bunch of awnings and I could've sworn Bizarro used to as well. Now they have nothing. It's okay if it's not hot out but when the sun is beating down and it's clear that everyone in the queue is suffering...

How is El Toro holding up these days? I rode Balder this weekend and it was a bit bumpy around the turns. Not uncomfortable in any ways, but noticable. The turns on Balder are very mild and gentle so It really made me wonder if the ride experience on El Toro has changed since I rode it in 2008, particularly through those crazy turns towards the end. Is it still smooth and comfortable through the entire ride??

Riding in the back, El Toro is starting to get pretty rough coming around the far turnaround after the 3rd hill. Feels like the connections between the track pieces are starting to sag a bit and it's getting bumpy. The rest of the ride is holding up fairly well, but that one big turn is bad.

^Yeah, it's been more and more that way for probably two years now. It's bearable, but pretty shaky. And coming off the turnaround, there's some sort of niche in the track - it always feels most noticeable to me in the front. Haven't ridden this year yet though, so that could've changed.

Can't wait to get up and ride Green Lantern - hopefully it'll be pretty soon!

I went today and the park was actually pretty crowded unfortunately. I was hoping it would be empty but I guess it could've been much worse. Some comments:

-Green Lantern was okay. It was fun but I'm not really a fan of stand-ups. I dunno if I'm doing it wrong or something, but my legs feel weird during the really forceful parts even though I listen to what the ride ops say. Also, it was really funny that the ride ops had to announce to everyone not to sit on the ride

-I feel like the queue (for GL) is kind of bad in terms of shade. They have random small snipets of awning over a few parts, but we were dying in the sun

-At the beginning of the day, Nitro, Batman: TR, and TDK were all walk-ons, but the park got really crowded around noon and stayed that way until closing basically. Bizarro's queue was almost completely filled, GL was filled up until the area before the first switchbacks right at the queue entrance, and El Toro was completely filled at one point.

I am really surprised to hear it was so crowded today, were there a lot of school groups? I would have never expected that there would be full queues. How long was the wait for Green Lantern?

I'd like to go to GA this Friday (5/27) and would love any thoughts you guys have. It's a Friday, and Memorial Day weekend, but school is still in session for more kids, so I figure it won't be crazy busy. Are there any events planned that would make it crowded?

Physics Day, lots of school kids during the day. Plus the park is open until 10 and is normally only open until 8 on Friday's so it will probably be crowded since they likely wouldn't stay open later unless they anticipate larger crowds. I could be wrong though since I figured it would be dead today and it sounds like it was the total opposite of that.

Physics Day, lots of school kids during the day. Plus the park is open until 10 and is normally only open until 8 on Friday's so it will probably be crowded since they likely wouldn't stay open later unless they anticipate larger crowds. I could be wrong though since I figured it would be dead today and it sounds like it was the total opposite of that.

Crappy. Are Physics Days always a mess?

Do you recommend ponying up for a flash pass if I only intend to go once or twice this year?

I'm not sure, I know on May 6th, there were at least 30 buses for Physics Day but it wasn't crowded since the park was only open for them (the park was open at 5 for Passholders for Coasters After Dark). Since it is the last Physics Day it may not be as many kids. I would wait to see how crowded it is before deciding to get a Flashpass or not.

I am really surprised to hear it was so crowded today, were there a lot of school groups? I would have never expected that there would be full queues. How long was the wait for Green Lantern?

I noticed some groups had the physics day packets (thought this was only on Fridays though) and there were a ton of buses in the parking lot, but a lot of the crowd was also just young adults, couples, etc.

I don't know if KK ever had a full queue since we never even waited until the line was completely empty right after it re-opened. I don't know about Nitro or Batman: TR since we never went back to that area. Bizarro was definitely almost full though; half of the last set of switchbacks (or first, depending on how you look at it) were filled. El Toro had a completely full queue around 3:00 when we checked, and it was still 45 mins - 1 hr at 5:00, but it definitely died down completely at the end.

Green Lantern was around an hour, maybe a little more. We didn't even see the switchbacks behind the station and were seriously considering getting off the line at that point, but we stayed just to say we did it I guess. I noticed the loading was kind of sporadic. Sometimes they would stack all 3 trains for a few runs, and sometimes they would get the next train out really quickly. This was around 4:00 pm btw

I'd like to go to GA this Friday (5/27) and would love any thoughts you guys have. It's a Friday, and Memorial Day weekend, but school is still in session for more kids, so I figure it won't be crazy busy. Are there any events planned that would make it crowded?

I know a lot of schools on Long Island, NY actually have off the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. The snow days this year knocked off that day off from some schools though. Also, during my senior year of high school, senior cut day was on that Friday so that our Memorial Day weekend would be extended. My friends and I went to Gadv as a result. I'm not sure how popular it is to do that, but something to consider as well as what YoshiFan already said

Riding in the back, El Toro is starting to get pretty rough coming around the far turnaround after the 3rd hill. Feels like the connections between the track pieces are starting to sag a bit and it's getting bumpy. The rest of the ride is holding up fairly well, but that one big turn is bad.

I rode El Toro back row last year 3 times when i went and did not notice this at all it was just pure to me

I rode El Toro back row last year 3 times when i went and did not notice this at all it was just pure to me

It is certainly there. I've noticed it the past two years. The Stride wrapped train is smoother. The bumpiness is more prevalent in the last two cars when the trains are not full. If have been opting for the middle row to minimize the vibration from the wheels.

Park is very crowded now, Green Lantern almost has a full queue and try have an overflow queue setup. Superman looks to be around 45 minutes. The lot isnt that full but there a ton of buses. I wasn't even in line for 2 minutes before getting cut by a group of kids (waiting for Blackbeards since it is only a 2 cycle wait)

I was there later in the day. Green Lantern was about an hour wait, Toro 30 minutes. I was impressed that it was a Thursday, but there were 3 trains on GL, Bizarro and Nitro and both sides of the Skyride and Rolling Thunder were open. GL's three trains were moving pretty well too, though there were tons of employees working it.

Toro is definitely rougher than opening, though by no means is unbearable. I felt like Nitro was much rougher than usual today too...