TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

There is as much diversity in kids rides as there is in tween/teen/adult rides. What a 3-4 year old will ride will not be something a 7-8 year old will want to ride and vice-versa. Planet Snoopy core age group will be the 3 to 8 year old group. (Probably including 9 - 10 year old kids if they are on the timid side). It seem there will be a spread of rides to cover that age range.

Saying the new stuff is for 5 and under is nonsense

Edited by mhuffva

^^^^I still think you are overestimating who the audience really is for these announcements. Yes, the Facebook followers might be pissed. But at the end of the day, was the announcement meant primarily for them? No.

People get pissed about Facebook announcements all the time. Look at Universal Orlando's announcement on Facebook from when they announced that Jaws would be closing. The benefit and detriment of Facebook is that followers can openly express their opinions in a collective space, lending more of a voice to a positive or negative opinion, but they do not represent the majority, nor do they represent a large number when you scale it to the actual reach of the park's audience including those that don't follow them on Facebook or any other social media site.

In a few months, maybe even weeks, the negativity will have mostly blown over and people will go back to clamoring over the idea of an 800 foot hypercoaster to come to the park in 2014. This announcement hasn't created the ill will you make it out to be to the point where people wouldn't go back. If they follow Kings Dominion on Facebook, it is likely that they have been there before (if not multiple times) and were happy with how the park is now. An announcement over something to make the park better shouldn't prevent them from liking the park as it is now, because at the end of the day, barring that one area that will be better, it will be the same park it was this season with a modified children's area next season.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^ Who cares if they piss off 500 or so Facebook fans? There are hundreds of thousands of people that will come to the park next season and be thankful of the new addition. Those complainers will still come to the park next season...

Umm, Cedar Fair... Being a business that directly relies on their customers cash.

Obviously it's not going to drag down the company, it's just kind of an ass-backwards way of running things.

People get pissed about Facebook announcements all the time.

Kind of ridiculous that this even happens. "You announced new rides but not what I wanted so now I'm angry" - the sense of entitlement in this attitude borders on the absurd.

New rides going in, the old ones are sticking around, nobody is being short-changed by the move. Good on Kings Dominion for giving families some more to do.

For all the recent posts about Facebook: That is why there is a thread dedicated to the stupid shit the GP says on Facebook. I wouldn't not the success of an announcement by going by what anyone says on Facebook. And this is coming from the TPR Facebook Moderator.

Edited by ernierocker

Couple of thoughts:

I did not catch all the pre-announcement marketing stuff, but I think people WAY overreacted to it. The fact that it was a Planet Snoopy upgrade was about the worst kept secret since the iPhone 5. Anyone that was deluding themselves that they were getting Expedition GeForce 2 next year is, well, deluded. The idea behind marketing is to get people excited, to get the hype going. Looks like they did just that. People reading their own interpretations into it and getting themselves all riled up about a new coaster only have themselves to blame if they're now upset. I love how the park is supposed to spell out EXACTLY what they're going to announce in marketing materials hyping up the announcement, so as not to "disappoint" anyone. Um, OK...

Facebook is a cesspit. Unless it's going to be heavily moderated, it's almost useless as a marketing tool. Too many trolls and children that think they know everything and are always "right" and cas post whatever they feel. A bunch of whiners on the KD page will mean ZERO to their attendance next year. Most of those complaining will be back, season pass in hand, in 2013.

I don't have kids and don't pay attention to most "kids" stuff at the park, but do recall the area looking kind of dumpy the last time I was at the park. So good for them updating it.

dt

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Haunt tonight, absolutely empty, longest wait was 20 minutes for Blue Ridge Bloodbath. Got 8/10 mazes done skipping Slaughterhouse (as I find it to be a poor house anyways) and Cornstalkers, which was closed. Anyways, here's my breakdown.

Blue Ridge Bloodbath - 7/10. It's a unique concept for Haunt, and it has it's moments. But something about being in a car makes the whole experience less frightening for me. A few good scares here.

Doll Factory - 9/10. Remains hands down the creepiest maze at KD. Scares are aplenty as well with some neat affects, creepy costumes, and great positioning. Definitely a can't miss.

Toxic Plague - 10/10. When I went through, there was no line so it was just me and my family, a total of four people. Needless to say scares where everywhere in this house, the dim lighting also provides some GREAT hiding spots.

No Vacancy - 6/10. The lighting was too bright which lead to most of the scares being seen way in advance. Still a decent house. The scenery inside is INCREDIBLE, but the scares are hit or miss.

Club Blood - 8/10. As always, it's a great maze. It's short, but it packs a lot into the little time it has. Still one of my favorite houses.

Camp Killauee - 7/10. Scares are far between, but they are good when they come. A neat maze, a bit short, but still good.

Medieval Macabre - 8/10. MUCH MUCH improved over last year. The lighting has been turned down, the whole inside (minus a room or two) redone, the costumes new, and the scares abundant. Still does have a problem with becoming a bit of a queue towards the end of the house.

Outbreak: The Evolution - 7/10. Very much a timing maze. You'll either get scared or simply laugh at those ahead of you getting scared. It's a very timing reliant maze but, when it works, it's good.

SCARE ZONES:

Primeval - 1/5. Okay, cannibal tribesmen. I'm game. That's cool. So... when do they actually do something besides stand around?

Necropolis - 5/5. Easily the best scare zone of the night. Scares are abundant and very well done.

Feary Tales - 3/5. Not bad, but not great. A scare or two tops.

^ Nope, it was either just another fanboy rumor or the plan got scrapped. I got 3 rides in the front on Volcano this weekend, and there's no signs of anything happening soon.

Also, I was beyond impressed by Haunt XII. I'll post a full review later on, but I'd give the park a solid A on the event this season.

Couple of thoughts:

I did not catch all the pre-announcement marketing stuff, but I think people WAY overreacted to it. The fact that it was a Planet Snoopy upgrade was about the worst kept secret since the iPhone 5. Anyone that was deluding themselves that they were getting Expedition GeForce 2 next year is, well, deluded. The idea behind marketing is to get people excited, to get the hype going. Looks like they did just that. People reading their own interpretations into it and getting themselves all riled up about a new coaster only have themselves to blame if they're now upset. I love how the park is supposed to spell out EXACTLY what they're going to announce in marketing materials hyping up the announcement, so as not to "disappoint" anyone. Um, OK...

Facebook is a cesspit. Unless it's going to be heavily moderated, it's almost useless as a marketing tool. Too many trolls and children that think they know everything and are always "right" and cas post whatever they feel. A bunch of whiners on the KD page will mean ZERO to their attendance next year. Most of those complaining will be back, season pass in hand, in 2013.

I don't have kids and don't pay attention to most "kids" stuff at the park, but do recall the area looking kind of dumpy the last time I was at the park. So good for them updating it.

dt

I think this is right on the money. KD's version of Planet Snoopy was probably the weakest in the chain, thanks to the time and resources that the park had to devote to I305 (they opened at the same time). The old Kidsville area was long overdue for an update.

Edited by cfc

• 2 weeks later...

Halloween Haunt XII Review! (finally)

In the order that I did them (October 5, 2012)...

MAZES:

Medieval Macabre

Overall Ranking: 6/10

Not bad, not great. Average maze, but because most the others were so good this year, this is in the bottom 3 for me. The outside looks great and I love the new sign!

Slaughter House

Overall Ranking: 7/10

LOVE the new outside to this maze. It's the best looking one in the park from the outside now! A few good scares and still some of the best theming for Haunt. Disappointed there were no chainsaws at the end for me.

Toxic Plague

Not as good as last season, but still good. Last year this was one of my favorites, but the competition has stepped up, so they need to also!

Club Blood

Overall Ranking: 9/10

THE CLUB IS BACK! I'm pretty sure I hit this on a bad night last season, but it was back up to par (if not better) for me this season. My second best scare of the night was in here. All of the actors were really into it!

Blue Ridge Bloodbath

It's such a long ride, but when you finally get to a scareactor, they sure do their job! It's pretty good for being in an open space and while riding in a car, but doesn't compare to the best.

Camp Killauee

Best experience I've had it since it debuted in the park, but still not fantastic. I love the theme, love the atmosphere, love the scareactors, but the openness and how you can see the scareactors several feet in advance is what just makes this good, and not great.

No Vacancy

Overall Ranking: 10/10

By far my new favorite maze in the park. I love the theme, I love the attention to detail, and I love the scareactors' effort. Kings Dominion outdid themselves on this one, it is fantastic. I loved it so much that I went through it once again at the very end of the night! My only change would be to add lots of strobe lights the the television room!

CornStalkers

Overall Ranking: 10/10

Great maze. Love the actual "maze-ness" to it and all the effort put in by the scareactors. It is very long too, which makes it even better!

The Doll Factory

Still one of the best! I'd only put it behind the new mazes that have arrived since it's debut. Still one of, if not the, best endings to a maze in the park. The overall theme is still very creepy!

Outbreak: The Evolution

I love how this maze went from being the worst when it was Alien Outpost to being in the top-4 for me now. Theming is great, scareactors are great, and the overall feel of it is fantastic.

SCAREZONES:

Cleaver Brothers Carnival

Overall Ranking: 8/10

Basically CarnEvil, with much better props and costumes. The props look a lot more permanent and expensive now and even create a nice environment during the day!

Necropolis

Most improved scarezone for 2012! This thing was a Central Stalkway knock-off last year and now it is great with some of the best props in the park! The atmosphere is amazing and so are the scareactors.

Feary Tales

Good, but short. Still love the hanging strobes and the creepy baby laughters. Fits in well being in the kiddie area and with Medieval Macabre being at the end of it.

Primevil: The Kuru Curse

Overall Ranking: 8/10

Basically The Ruins, with much better props and costumes. The props look a lot more permanent and expensive now and even create a nice environment during the day! I wish they'd leave some of the decorations up year round!

The Lair

Good, but short. I'd rather see a scarezone in the SkyFlyer/Windseeker plaza than in here. The classic vampire theme compliments the crazy punk vampire theme of Club Blood well.

IronWorX

Still my favorite this year, the overall atmosphere and feeling in this zone cannot be matched! I love everything about it besides the somewhat lack of scares... but the costumes are amazing enough to just take in!

SHOWS:

Overlord's Resurrection

As usual, it's a great way to kick-off Haunt! I love the new decorations in front of the fountains and the new song that they use at the beginning. Does anyone know what it is called, PLEASE?!

The Night Shift

Good singing actually and I really enjoyed it! I just wish there was a bit of a plot to it...

Uprising

Overall Ranking: 5/10

This needs improvement. I like the stage set-up, lights, and costumes. Maybe a whole new show should just come in?

MAZES (best to worst):

1.) No Vacancy

2.) CornStalkers

3.) The Doll Factory

4.) Outbreak: The Evolution

5.) Club Blood

6.) Slaughter House

7.) Toxic Plague

8.) Camp Killauee

9.) Medieval Macabre

10.) Blue Ridge Bloodbath

SCAREZONES (best to worst):

1.) IronWorX

2.) Necropolis

3.) Cleaver Brothers Carnival

4.) Primevil: The Kuru Curse

5.) Feary Tales

6.) The Lair

SHOWS (best to worst):

1.) Overlord's Resurrection

2.) The Night Shift

3.) Uprising

Overall, Halloween Haunt XII is the best year yet!!!

This weekend I plan on making my first visit to a CF haunt at KD. Though relatively new to the haunt experience (HHN XXI was my first) how exactly should I adjust my expectations for a lesser acclaimed haunt than the ones I have visited (HHN XXII, XXI, and HOS 2011)? Will I be able to hit most (if not all) the mazes without a fright lane pass on a Saturday night? Thanks for any and all help!

^^ On a Saturday night it might be hard to hit all of the mazes. But the mazes are open from 6 to midnight so you have plenty of time. I would just make sure to be one of the first in line at one when they first open.

^ My problem with No Vacancy is that it is way too light inside. They were zero percent chance of anyone scaring me because I saw everything.