TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ The theming has aged with the ride in its 10th season this year, but to be honest it wouldn't be worth the investment to re-theme the ride. Personally, I'd like a general spruce up - Give the ride some paint, replace the billboard wrappings, and change the Downtown Los Angeles signage to 'Downtown Richmond'. Kings Island could change theirs to 'Downtown Cincinnati' and Wonderland could change theirs to 'Downtown Toronto'.

I always thought some greenery and the color scheme like in the ride's original renderings would have made the ride look better and fit in more with the Congo/Safari Village area.

ijstart1.jpg.9ebea28e66f8495a808ebf91ad44ac58.jpg

I say they add some water features, wrap the queue around the parking garage, and tie it in to Soak City with a beach road trip theme. Tear up the fake road out front and plant some trees to separate it from Safari Village and give that seating area a more woodsy feel.

If there really is an I-305 re-theme coming, all you'd have left to deal with is Flight of Fear - replace the pavement, plant some trees, and re-work it as a hidden government research lab. Heck, say that the new I-305 is whatever beast they cooked up in there (loose Jurassic World quote) and you've got a full Safari Village at relatively minimal cost.

/dream

^ Well the rumor went around for a while was that the reason Intimidator 305 is red and yellow is because it was supposed to create an area similar to X-Base at Kings Island with Flight of Fear and FireHawk... That is until Cedar Fair purchased and signed the agreement with Dale Earnhardt Inc. for Intimidator at Carowinds and then decided to use the name/theme for both rides since they were paying for the rights and they figured it would be a bigger draw. I don't know how much of this is true, but it would have been interesting to see what it would have looked like if they went for a FireHawk-like theme.

Realistically, if they re-theme the ride I'd still love to see that theming come to the park. I feel like it would be easier to do with what they have than to turn the ride into a Safari Village themed ride.

firehawk_slide_4.jpg.35ce9fcc6b1e7ee254999123493a4af9.jpg

2007_05260179.JPG.882d4efef1eef4d9ea886fd6925fe625.JPG

Firehawk09.thumb.jpg.9fe4507bc339571d616e0c063599a40a.jpg

^ Well the rumor went around for a while was that the reason Intimidator 305 is red and yellow is because it was supposed to create an area similar to X-Base at Kings Island with Flight of Fear and FireHawk... That is until Cedar Fair purchased and signed the agreement with Dale Earnhardt Inc. for Intimidator at Carowinds and then decided to use the name/theme for both rides since they were paying for the rights and they figured it would be a bigger draw. I don't know how much of this is true, but it would have been interesting to see what it would have looked like if they went for a FireHawk-like theme.

Realistically, if they re-theme the ride I'd still love to see that theming come to the park. I feel like it would be easier to do with what they have than to turn the ride into a Safari Village themed ride.

I hate how generic those sections are, so I would hope that Cedar Fair would move away from them in the future, but so be it - just call that area something different, and maybe flesh it out with a flat, a walk-up food stand, and a bathroom for good measure.

According to John Pagel, the former park PR Manager, putting a restroom in near Intimidator 305 and Flight of Fear would be very costly because the park's existing infrastructure doesn't have sewer lines past the current restrooms near the entrance to Safari Village so it would all have to be added and require everything to be torn up that's in the way. I believe the price was ballparked around 2.5-3 million dollars (back in 2010 when 305 was added) just for a restroom?

I've never really understood the complaints for a restroom back there. It takes about 2-3 minutes from Intimidator to get to the Safari Village restroom.

Anyways, I can't imagine them expanding in that area again until Anaconda is removed.

According to John Pagel, the former park PR Manager, putting a restroom in near Intimidator 305 and Flight of Fear would be very costly because the park's existing infrastructure doesn't have sewer lines past the current restrooms near the entrance to Safari Village so it would all have to be added and require everything to be torn up that's in the way. I believe the price was ballparked around 2.5-3 million dollars (back in 2010 when 305 was added) just for a restroom?

I've never really understood the complaints for a restroom back there. It takes about 2-3 minutes from Intimidator to get to the Safari Village restroom.

Anyways, I can't imagine them expanding in that area again until Anaconda is removed.

Port-a-johns. . for the true NASCAR race experience.

Plumbing is always a pain.

Kings Dominion is a great park! Just made my first trip there last week.

I305 was the best coaster I've ever been on. Maverick and Fury325 are close, but that ride is relentless from start to finish. Really made the park for me.

I305 was the best coaster I've ever been on. Maverick and Fury325 are close, but that ride is relentless from start to finish. Really made the park for me.

Nice. Not everyone can handle the ferociousness of the ride haha

I definitely got tunnel vision, but that didn't stop me from riding it three times in a row. I would have done more, but I had to get on every coaster.

I found Maverick to be more enjoyable than i305. It just does more than curves and speed, which isn't much when it comes to overall ride experience. Although it does pack a lot of intensity, but not quite enough to negate its stale variety. Dominator is my favorite ride in the park, followed by a tie between Volcano & i305. I didn't find Anaconda that rough (I don't see where the complaints are coming from), it was fairly fun. Rebel Yell had the best airtime out of all the coasters I rode that day, one of the better racing coasters I've been on. Hurler was a piece of garbage, it needs to be burned to the ground.

I found Maverick to be more enjoyable than i305. It just does more than curves and speed, which isn't much when it comes to overall ride experience. Although it does pack a lot of intensity, but not quite enough to negate its stale variety. Dominator is my favorite ride in the park, followed by a tie between Volcano & i305. I didn't find Anaconda that rough (I don't see where the complaints are coming from), it was fairly fun. Rebel Yell had the best airtime out of all the coasters I rode that day, one of the better racing coasters I've been on. Hurler was a piece of garbage, it needs to be burned to the ground.

Hurler needs the RMC treatment.

Maverick is awesome and Dominator is solid but ur in the way minority boss

Maverick is awesome and Dominator is solid but ur in the way minority boss

In the way minority? No, I don't believe so.

Link

Intimidator 305 beats Maverick by a margin of 0.0055%. The preference of the two is nearly identical. It is undeniably kick ass, but I personally find more variety a better overall experience when judging a ride in its entirety. Which is why I prefer Dominator over it, its design has integrity.

Hurler needs the RMC treatment.

If they can somehow find a way to save it. Hurler is a severe spinal injury waiting to happen.

I absolutely love both rides, but give Intimidator 305 the edge as I find it more of a 'comfortable' ride than Maverick.

On the topic of Intimidator 305, with a rename and possible re-theme for both Intimidators this offseason I wonder if the announcement will come with the 2016 announcements, after the season (November-ish), or even after the new year begins? Anyways, I'd buy your Intimidator merchandise ASAP before it is considered 'vintage'.