TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

While Hurler displays lots of fresh wood this year, it all relates to steps and railings. I think maybe there was some crackdown from the county or OSHA, or just internal to meet standards. Check out Woodstock: new railings added to the drop on top of the originals with spacers, that raise the railing. I think Hurler's been kept "barely running" with the trim since 2010 -- without the trim it would have required more trackwork to still be running (to make it better without the trim in 2010, and again by now due to wear and tear). I don't think they've done anything to it that surely indicates it will stay around.

I was doing some research on 2016 attractions for KD, and there isn't much, except a recent interview with CF CEO Matt Ouimet, in which he stated that CF intends to roll out Triotechs to all 11 parks in the coming years. He also mentioned "empty boxes and blank spaces", with the KD Action Theater given as an example of a potential site. The theater really has fallen into disrepair since the motion seats were removed, it never draws a crowd except for Haunt when it moonlights as the No Vacancy maze, and they use the space underneath the projector screen to store bleachers for park events. Did I mention the 10-min, low-budget, cheesy movies are terrible? Regardless, this is not something that's popular, but it does occupy a pretty sizable space, large enough to convert into a Triotech. That's why I'm calling a Triotech for KD in 2016, with the Shockwave removed in 2017 as the park gears up for the next coaster, likely a very large B&M of some sort (i.e. the chain's big investment for the year), which will fly over parts of the Grove, Old Virginia, and International Street in 2018.

Do you agree? Partially? Disagree? Hate my guts? Let me know below (and please keep any insults regarding my perceived insanity and/or stupidity PG-13 or below).

Dark rides are great and all, but doesn't KD already have boo blasters?

^And Disney parks have multiple dark rides. Is there some rule that non-Disney parks can't have more than one?

I think this would be a much better use of the old Action Theater building, although I would miss seeing "Haunted House" during Haunt (it's a ghost story from a cat's point of view).

I was in El Toro_Ryan's group, and for most of us it's our first time at KD and I305 beimg closed was a big disappointment. We're praying it will be open tomorrow.

Any luck today?

^ YES!!

We rode it 6 times today so far, it's pretty incredible. The brake on the second to last airtime hill (H) reaaallly kills the momentum and ruins the rest of the ride, but I'd go as far to say the ride is perfect up until that point. It's like a cross between Maverick and Millennium Force and then all of a sudden all the trim brakes in the world combined hit you on an what should have been an airtime hill haha

Any seat is fine, I actually had more fun in middle rows than the very front! So happy right now

^ YES!!

We rode it 6 times today so far, it's pretty incredible. The brake on the second to last airtime hill (H) reaaallly kills the momentum and ruins the rest of the ride, but I'd go as far to say the ride is perfect up until that point. It's like a cross between Maverick and Millennium Force and then all of a sudden all the trim brakes in the world combined hit you on an what should have been an airtime hill haha

Any seat is fine, I actually had more fun in middle rows than the very front! So happy right now

This may surprise you, but I would highly recommend riding the very back row for the most "thrilling" expierence! But if you want the best view while riding, then I would recommend the very front row.

From what I've heard "Fury" (not 325) is trademarked by Cedar Fair. I think there's a good chance that will be used as the 2016/2017 coaster's name. I just hope they change the hornet theme and make it use the woody terrain like Grizzly.

OMG "Intimidator 305" at KD then "Intimidator" at Carowinds, now "Fury 325" at Carowinds and "Fury" at Kd? WHAT IS THIS?!

^ YES!!

This may surprise you, but I would highly recommend riding the very back row for the most "thrilling" expierence! But if you want the best view while riding, then I would recommend the very front row.

Yep.

I believe the brake is there to make it more rerideable but i could be wrong. Its hard to marathon. We all got upset with that brake there. But it was still the most unreal experience i had had on a coaster

I can reride I305 all day long (before and after trims) even though I have a very low "rough threshold", given that I become queasy from Dominator after one ride and find Alpengeist and Shockwave to be unbearably rough.

I am planning on taking the family to KD in two weeks. The only other time I have been there was by myself last year. I arrived around 10 for a 1030 opening. I do not have access to ERT. I was granted access to International Street and didn't expect to ride anything but got on Dominator. I then went to the rope near Dominator to head to Volcano and wait until 1030. They allowed gold passes through to ERT. Is Dominator normally open early like that to non pass holders. I am trying to make a plan for my kids especially since I have different heights and going to try to divide and conquer the park.

Also does anybody have a good guess on what height child Shockwave allows? I know what the published requirement is but is it close to 48" or more like 54"?

We rode in the back row at least three or four times! Every seat is wild, but that first drop is insane in the back!

I somehow managed not to ever blackout, just grey/spotty vision. And it might have been running slower than usual!

I'm with you all the way. Alpengeist is super rough and shaky and Dominator with all the loops makes me queezy. Both are pretty rough tho. I305 is butter smooth and just plain awesome

I didn't find Dominator rough at all, and last time I rode Alpengeist (2009) it was butter smooth, I'll find out if it really got bad tomorrow! And a Maverick or El Toro type ride would be a perfect addition to any park.

Also does anybody have a good guess on what height child Shockwave allows? I know what the published requirement is but is it close to 48" or more like 54"?

There are plenty of much better rides for your kids to go on than Shockwave, even Woodstock Express is a great little coaster!

I'm with you all the way. Alpengeist is super rough and shaky and Dominator with all the loops makes me queezy. Both are pretty rough tho. I305 is butter smooth and just plain awesome

Alpenguist is one of the smoothest coatsers I've been on (aside from cobra roll and mcbr) but I can't say the same for shockwave.

I didn't find Dominator rough at all, and last time I rode Alpengeist (2009) it was butter smooth, I'll find out if it really got bad tomorrow! And a Maverick or El Toro type ride would be a perfect addition to any park.

There are plenty of much better rides for your kids to go on than Shockwave, even Woodstock Express is a great little coaster!

Cedar Fair doesn't work with Intamin anymore, or at least for the time being. I could see them working Mack Rides to make an insane twister coaster, but it's more likely we see a B&M hyper or wingrider.

Alpenguist is one of the smoothest coatsers I've been on (aside from cobra roll and mcbr) but I can't say the same for shockwave.

For real. I've not had one single rough ride on Alpengeist since I first rode it six years ago. A small rattle in cobra roll, but nothing even close to it being "super rough and shaky". As for Dominator, I feel like it depends on where you sit. I found the front row a bit on the rough side last year, however the last row was smooth. It's still a much better ride than Shockwave.

I've never understood the comments about Alpengeist being rough but no matter how smooth a coaster is, there's always an enthusiast willing to complain about how rough it is. I don't think there's a single coaster in existence that nobody has complained about roughness on so at this point I just do my best to ignore enthusiast feedback and decide for myself.

For everyone saying that KD will get a new coaster:

No plans have been filed as of yet (to my knowledge) with the Hanover County Board of Supervisors, given that I live in Ashland (5 min from KD) and receive the weekly Herald-Progress local paper, in which the board prints all of the countywide proposals for the upcoming meeting. If we don't hear of plans for a new ride within the next month or so, I think we can rule out a large 2016 coaster for the park. This week's edition comes out today, so I'll try to keep you all updated.

I've never had a black-out (or grey-out), so it's freaking me out a bit.

If it's not something you're comfortable with you can just close your eyes during the first turn and on the way up the first hill. Then you'll never even know it happened.

I like that idea. I'll keep that in mind. Even though I'm a bit scared of the blacking out aspect, I am determined to ride it.