TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Well, I was at KD on Sunday - first trip back since the TPR event last year. I didn't get to ride the i305 as it was down for maintenance when we were there.

This is the 2nd time that I've been there on a Sunday and have noticed absolutely no lines for the wooden coasters. Is this normal?

No love for the Grizzly, Hurler, Rebel Yell, and even Anaconda? I could ride those all day long. Lines for Dominator and Volcano were at least an hour. Walked up to the woodies and Anaconda and had to wait no longer than 2 trains. Have no desire to ride Shockwave anymore, but the line for that didn't look bad either. Does everybody just congregate at the Volcano, FoF, i305 area?

Does everybody just congregate at the Volcano, FoF, i305 area?

Yes. People tend to hang around the rides that don't beat the living crap out of you.

Well if they just want to ride 4 coasters, they should go to BGW! While they are there they can enjoy some shopping, shows, and award winning landscaping!

I'm not knocking BGW. I like their rides, but they are almost too smooth. I think a coaster should give at least a little bit of a dangerous feeling.

Even though I wasn't there a full day (11:30-9:00) and only got to ride the Dominator, Grizzly (x2), Hurler (x2), Ricochet, Volcano, and Anaconda it was still worth the $29 to get in! Next time I'll leave kids at home!

Then what are they doing hanging around volcano? I had a huge headache after coming off that thing saturday night.

I have NEVER gotten one bit of headbanging from Volcano... ever. My rides on it are always smooth, no matter where I sit. I believe Volcano is the 2nd or 3rd smoothest coaster in the park. How does that give you a headache and not Grizzly?

Well, I was at KD on Sunday - first trip back since the TPR event last year. I didn't get to ride the i305 as it was down for maintenance when we were there.

This is the 2nd time that I've been there on a Sunday and have noticed absolutely no lines for the wooden coasters. Is this normal?

No love for the Grizzly, Hurler, Rebel Yell, and even Anaconda? I could ride those all day long. Lines for Dominator and Volcano were at least an hour. Walked up to the woodies and Anaconda and had to wait no longer than 2 trains. Have no desire to ride Shockwave anymore, but the line for that didn't look bad either. Does everybody just congregate at the Volcano, FoF, i305 area?

There is NEVER a line for Grizzly or Hurler. Rebel Yell's line gets long some times, when they are only running one side. I have seen Anaconda's queue right up to its entrance, last summer. Dominator, Volcano, Flight of Fear, and 305 always have the longest lines.

If Saturdays are like last year during haunt expect Rebel Yell to have a line to its entrance with two trains during the afternoon-evening. And yes I mean the entrance, that long queue, it was like that every Saturday last year in October.

Boy do I remember that as even Grizz had a line for the first time that I could ever recall in recent years.

Every time that I have been this year the ride ops at Dominator were about average, not speedy but not what I would call "slow". There are most definitely slower operations in the park than on Dominator in my opinion by my experiences this season. Try it out next season with the new crew considering in past years Dominator's crews have been one of the better crews...

They were stacking with two trains today. I waited almost 15 minutes when there was a one-train wait in the station. More than once, an operator didn't start checking his half of the train until the previous train was parked behind it. Even the GP were wondering what was taking them so long.

When Travis was working the ride back in 08/09 he was doing a good job of loading & dispatching but now that he's an area supervisor(his area covers that ride go figure) operations have really lapsed big time....I've seen crews at SFA that do better & we all know how they are.

Anyone recieve the 2012 season pass mailer today? I got one in the mail even though I renewed my pass last weekend when I was down there.

Now just get a B&M invert back there & I'll really be happy.

I doubt they'll ever see one. A Wingrider somewhere else in the park seems more likely going by current trends, and Old Virginia deserves more love than there IMO. This is purely speculation, but if they do anything back there, they should just tear down Hurler, and replace it with a wooden twister- as they already have three other out and back woodies.

I doubt they'll ever see one. A Wingrider somewhere else in the park seems more likely going by current trends, and Old Virginia deserves more love than there IMO. This is purely speculation, but if they do anything back there, they should just tear down Hurler, and replace it with a wooden twister- as they already have three other out and back woodies.

I rather have a Wingrider. They look awesome!

I rather have a Wingrider. They look awesome!

I just want an invert that doesn't beat the crap out of me & has more varied elements than volcano along with a decent ride time & capacity.