TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's New Forum UPGRADE!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taking a bit to get used to for me. I do like it though!

Pros: Seems a bit faster

I'm really liking the detail with each profile

Whatever you did with the font is awesome

Cons: I know it was mentioned before but all the black on the sides seems a bit off to me. Having lets say..... a roller coaster picture or something as a side boarder would of been cool to me. I know it cant be changed so dont even sweat it.

I'm really not sure I'm understanding where the comments about "all the black" is coming from. If you look at the old forum versus the new forum there is some additional black area inbetween the calendar and the posting area on the new forum (which we will address) but the rest of the forum has always had the black, and possibly even MORE black than it does now.

Look at the images below...when you look at them back to back you'll see that they look VERY similar.

forum_old.thumb.jpg.ba999242ca350172c0fcd84068e8769e.jpg

OLD FORUM

forum_new.thumb.jpg.2316eeb788c00199c78ab313d60d6956.jpg

NEW FORUM

^^Robb - I think the perception is that there was not a wide border on both sides in the past forum. When things evolve people notice a change but can't always point out the specific details that don't have any functionality. It's human nature.

I noticed that some online users have a * next to their names. Earlier, I read somewhere that the * denotes those who are in the chat room. However, if I hadn't seen that (I think someone put it on Facebook), I wouldn't have known what it meant. Could there be a note added that says something like "* member in chat room." Not a major deal, but could be helpful.

Otherwise, everything seems to be working well for me. Every time a forum changes, there are always things that get changed or moved around and it takes a little getting used to. I anticipate that will be the case here.

Some forums have a built in spell check. Would something like that be possible here? Might be helpful to some members.

Eric

I really like the changes, manages to look like the old one, while at the same time looking a lot sharper. The new forums look great, and they manage to keep the "basic" look I like about TPR. I'll have to get used to some of the changes, but I'm already starting to get a hang of it.

I like the new look. Great Job everyone. One small problem - when I went to the Trip Report Archive, the pics didn't show in the post, I had to click on each one to view. Just an FYI - I am using IE 8 and Vista Home Premium.

Congrats on the new look!

David

It'll take some getting used to for sure, but you guys didn't have a whole lot of choice. I think eventually I'll learn to like this interface better than the old one.

Congrats on all the hard work it took to bring this new forum from where it was when Robb first asked for input to where it is now. Awesome job!

It will take some getting used to but that is with every change...

The biggest bummer for me is that the chat program in now called A**X chat (I'm sorry I can not write that word ). In the Netherlands you have two groups of football fans, and I am belonging to the group that hate A**X!

I noticed that some online users have a * next to their names. Earlier, I read somewhere that the * denotes those who are in the chat room. However, if I hadn't seen that (I think someone put it on Facebook), I wouldn't have known what it meant. Could there be a note added that says something like "* member in chat room." Not a major deal, but could be helpful.

Some forums have a built in spell check. Would something like that be possible here? Might be helpful to some members.

When you are looking at the "Who is Online" section at the bottom of the Index page, mouse over the * next to their names and it tells you "EBL * = In The Chat Room".

When you are posting, the first thing on the menu bar above the posting box is a button called "Spell Check."

Probably just need to do a little more digging around but both of those things are already installed.

--Robb

I'm liking everything so far. Small "nitpicky" question though. In the old forum, if you weren't logged in, you were able to click "quote," and be sent directly to the log in screen. Is that something that can be added to the new version, or is that a thing of the past? Not a big deal....just curious.

Overall, great work by everyone!

^ I looked for a way to let guests see the "quote" button, but I can't find it.

^^ & ^^^ We don't have an option to auto-force a spell check. Just like on the old forum, you'll have to remember to click the button before you hit "submit."

--Robb

^ In your user control panel (the link should be on every page under the calendar on the left) Click the "Board Preferences" tab and then click "Edit Posting Defaults." You'll want to check "NO" for Notify me upon replies by default.

If you want to unsubscribe from topics click "Overview" tab and then "Manage subscriptions" and you can unsubscribe from all topics you are currently watching.

--Robb

One other thing I noticed is when you click on a profile (Or changing your own for that matter) it no longer shows your real name. Is there a reason for this change? I'm sure its for privacy or something but I'm just curious because I liked being able to add people more easily to Facebook and stuff like that by knowing there name if they had it available.

Also, I can't seem to get the Save Draft feature to work, as it simply reloads the "Post a Reply" page with a text field blank instead of saving it.

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. I usually save a longer reply (which this was) to a Word document in case something happens, but decided to try the save draft feature instead. When I went into the saved drafts in the user control panel, it said that I had not saved any drafts, so I lost it.

Also been having some problems submitting posts and uploading pictures. Had two seperate issues - one today and one yesterday when I tried to upload a pic to add to my trip report. I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display this page" and it would not take me back to the page after refresh.

Has the site been up and down a lot?