TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

I got this email today. Hurricane replacement officially announced Aug. 27!

You can also view it here: http://news.beachboardwalk.com/releases/last-hurricane

SANTA CRUZ BEACH BOARDWALK ANNOUNCES LAST DAY TO RIDE THE HURRICANE

SANTA CRUZ, CA (August 15, 2012) – The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk announced that September 3, 2012 will be the Hurricane roller coaster’s last operating day at the Boardwalk. A new ride, scheduled to open in 2013, will be announced on August 27.

The Hurricane will be dismantled starting after Labor Day and shipped to its new owner, Western Playland Amusement Park in New Mexico, this fall. The ride had been listed for sale through a broker for $500,000; the final sale price was not revealed.

“The Hurricane has been a great ride for the Boardwalk,” said vice president of operations Tom Canfield. “It served us well, but we’re extremely excited to get a brand new ride that we know our guests are going to love.”

Northern California members of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) are meeting at the Boardwalk on August 26 to take a final ride on the Hurricane. The group of about 40 roller coaster aficionados will also receive a special briefing from Boardwalk staff about the new ride.

At the Boardwalk since 1992, the Hurricane was a replacement for the Jet Star roller coaster, which had operated in the Hurricane’s location from 1972 to 1991. Earlier this year the Boardwalk announced that 2012 would be the Hurricane's final season.

Cool stuff! This makes me want to hit up the 'Walk that day to do some rides and watch the ACErs give the Hurricane one last go. I don't know if they'll all be able to live through it though...the ride has gotten quite rough this year, enough for me to call it the "HURTicane". My poor legs...OUCH! I am itching to know the new coaster's identity as well, I'm very excited for 2013!

Cool stuff! This makes me want to hit up the 'Walk that day to do some rides and watch the ACErs give the Hurricane one last go. I don't know if they'll all be able to live through it though...the ride has gotten quite rough this year, enough for me to call it the "HURTicane". My poor legs...OUCH! I am itching to know the new coaster's identity as well, I'm very excited for 2013!

It wasn't my legs that hurt! It was my head and torso!

Cool to see that Hurricane isn't getting scrapped. I was going to say "Hope Western Playland is still keeping their Galaxi," but I just realized it's actually a Zyklon, and those usually suck, so whatever.

As a credit whore I guess I'll be able to get two relocated credits on SDC Hurricanes soon. Yay?

As with most rides it varies depending on your size and how you sit. I rode it recently and while I would not consider it smooth, it was also not painful at all.

Totally agree. You also have to count in the fact that different people have different tolerations for roughness as well. I'm about 6'1'' with very long legs that I'd categorize as fragile and sensitive, and for me that's where the Hurticane wreaked havoc.

I personally thought Hurricane wasn't rough, just boring...

It's that one twisting drop that makes it interesting. When the ride first opened it was actually to fast I guess because I heard a couple people got hurt and they shut it down and opened it later (I dont remember what was done, I was 11 at the time) It's still pretty great though.

When the ride first opened it was actually to fast I guess because I heard a couple people got hurt and they shut it down and opened it later (I dont remember what was done, I was 11 at the time) It's still pretty great though.

Rumor has it that riders were hurting their necks on the ride, so they closed it down modified some of the track sections.

When the ride first opened it was actually too fast I guess because I heard a couple people got hurt and they shut it down and opened it later (I dont remember what was done, I was 11 at the time) It's still pretty great though.

Rumor has it that riders were hurting their necks on the ride, so they closed it down modified some of the track sections.

Yep thats exactly what I heard. I heard a couple people got taken to the hospital that first day due to that one section I was talking about earlier.

I do enjoy SDC Hurricanes, seeing as how Adventureland Farmingdale, which is my home park has one. They're pretty fun rides, I love the twisting plunge before the helices, surprisingly very intense. In fact, Trailblazer at Hershey and Hurricane at Adventureland were my first "big coasters" I ever rode on (I was probably 6 or 7 years old) and those rides taught me to stop being such a pu$$y and ride bigger, non-kiddie coasters and now look, While I was at KD, I rode Intimidator 305 EIGHT TIMES IN A ROW! In fact I305, Volcano and FOF are now some of my favorite coasters!

So yeah, a big thank you to SDC for starting my love for coasters

It has been said already that it will be a coaster. Plus, with the expansion of the top deck they're planning something big...
Where was that confirmed? Link?

Kinda thinking I should wait until 9/2 rather than go this sunday 8/26 so that the announcement will already be made. Planning on hitting CGA on the way for the first time in like 15 years too, so I'm looking forward to my own little mini (north) west coast bash