TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2009!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of what causes the "new ride bump" is that to a degree, a higher percent of of the people riding new rides, particularly Prowler IMO, tend to be locals. This provides the new coaster with tons of advantages:

1) Locals get the best of a ride. If they catch it on a bad day, it's more ignorable than to someone like a trip participant who only gets that one day. Also, locals can ride the coaster at its best time (night, often) and in its best seat, which people on trips can't always do.

2) Locals are more likely to visit on days with fewer lines or nicer weather. I know for me personally, short or no lines makes a ride much more fun, and a sweltering and sunny day can make any coaster unenjoyable. People who live near parks could plan around this more.

3) Fanboyism

Some combination of these tend to give rides ridden mostly by people near them a good spot until they are more ridden.

Also, I feel like this thread would be a good time to quote the, IMO, "Golden Rule of TPR," aimed at no one in particular:

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site, if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

EDIT: ^^I think TPR might be the last place you'd find the 5% of people who aren't "midwest nutjobs"

Question to all:

Is the yearly last place finish of PGA Grizzly an unwritten enthusiast collusion or do people consistently find it worse than any other wooden coaster out there?

It's just that bad. The first turnaround has you wondering if the train will actually complete the course. Other than a mild thrill on the first drop, the ride does little more than make you wait for something fun to happen, but it never does. Then it's over and you're left wondering why you bothered to ride it.

I don't think the Grizzly is the worst woodie ever (that honor goes to Anaconda at Walygator), but it's in the bottom ten for me. I rode it the first year it was open and found it incredibly boring.

I would concur with both Elissa and Chuck (^^&^^^).

Grizzly's just BORING, like Mechanic said above (^^^^). Slow, but terribly consistent! It's always been that way.

I truly think that Anaconda will fall to that last place spot before too long, especially once the relocated Orochi (Raptor clone) opens at the dreadful Walygator Parc.

I would even think that Bandit should be lower than grizzly. Someone needs to find and post Steve & Lou's ride on it from a couple of years ago. (Granted, I think it would be rated "R" for language!)

Someone needs to find and post Steve & Lou's ride on it from a couple of years ago. (Granted, I think it would be rated "R" for language!)

Oh, I have it...and trust me, that footage WILL surface at some point in the near future!

I'm also glad Phoenix retains a top ten spot, although I honestly think it deserves better than 8. The only ride ahead of it I've ridden is El Toro, but I personally ranked Phoenix in front of it. Phoenix might not be as intense or out of control as El Toro, but it's the most fun ride I've ever been on- I think I could ride it for the rest of my life and not get bored.

Someone needs to find and post Steve & Lou's ride on it from a couple of years ago. (Granted, I think it would be rated "R" for language!)

Oh, I have it...and trust me, that footage WILL surface at some point in the near future!

It is, without a doubt, the greatest park-recorded onride video ever!

^I actually gave Bandit a decent ranking (somewhere in the middle) because of the on-ride videos.

Why don't all brutal woodies sell on-ride videos?

Even if that on-ride camera gave me a massage after the beating, I wouldn't let the camera affect my ranking.

Even if that on-ride camera gave me a massage after the beating, I wouldn't let the camera affect my ranking.

I figure the point of a roller coaster is to entertain. And that video was as entertaining as any ride we took on that trip. To me, anyway.

wow hades is up there and ozark wildcat is still up high on the list even though it is no longer operating

Same with Aska.

I think the main reason why Mitch keeps Aska on the list is that, even though it's ranking doesn't really count because it hasn't operated in 3 yeras, I think he's hopeful that some park will see that a top ten woodie is just sitting there for the taking and will be relocated.

--Robb

I figure the point of a roller coaster is to entertain. And that video was as entertaining as any ride we took on that trip. To me, anyway.

So, it's one of the worst if you ride it, but one of the best if you just watch others suffer riding it?

I'm surprised that Beast keeps getting such a low rank. With all the people obsessed with the ride at night (including me) I would think it'd be a lot higher.

I would have to agree. However, I have only ridden 26 wood coasters; so, ranking the Beast at number 2 douen't really mean much. Also, many of the people who are huge fans of the Beast are not very well traveled.

I'm surprised that Beast keeps getting such a low rank. With all the people obsessed with the ride at night (including me) I would think it'd be a lot higher.

I would have to agree. However, I have only ridden 26 wood coasters; so, ranking the Beast at number 2 douen't really mean much. Also, many of the people who are huge fans of the Beast are not very well traveled.

Fans of the Beast would have extra hassles getting on planes with their wheel chairs (1 ride almost broke my back), I can understand why they don't travel. Fortunately they don't reproduce so they are bound to die out eventually.

Seriously, the Beast after the second lift hill in the back row in the morning was the most painful experience I have had on a coaster, I thought my ribcage was going to be crushed. Although it is wonderful visually at night, it was still a very very punishing ride.