TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Expedition Geforce cable snaps...

Sunday 04.10.09 15:30,

The rollercoaster has almost reached to the top, and then the train stops, the anti rollback catch te train. The people inside the train leave the train and walk from the stairs down.

I hear that the sled (the car that bring the train up) snapt from the cable and rollback into the station...

Does someone has more information about this thing?

dsc0577.jpg.2a3fa562c0f459fb8d3a4138a74a979c.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's totally unfair that everyone instantly blames "Intamin" for this.

When was the last time anyone from Intamin even touched this ride?

--Robb "The upside? More cable to sell in the shop!" Alvey

Rob has a point, Yes...

But expedition geforce replaces many times the cable... and sell it in the shops..

I want to know why it snaps..

I want to know why it snaps..

Because it's cable. Occasionally it will wear down and snap.

To anyone who finds this amazing or sensational, go pick up a rubber band, hold it in front of your face, and stretch it out about 1000 times. Think you'll make it that far without breaking?

Can I go ahead and make a placeholder thread for "El Toro's cable snaps...?"

Plus do we even have confirmation that it was the cable?!? It seems some people are saying that it was an issue where the cable attaches to the catch car.

Like Robb said, you all now will have a chance to buy up more cable pieces!!!

Well, I guess the most important thing about this event is that no one was hurt when the cable snaps, just a bunch of people that were PISSED OFF TOTALLY when the ride stopped and couldn't continue on (and not to mention those waiting in line that wanted to ride this coaster, now forced out to ride something else.

I had that happen to me when I was at Cedar Point in 1999 waiting in line to ride THE RAPTOR and I managed to get way up in front when the damn thing breaks down due to a computer glitch that didn't stop the train properly. I waited nearly sixty minutes for nothing! Sure, Cedar Point had tons of other rides to ride, but when a ride breaks down, it always feels like your day is ruined.

Even chains can break, though not as often as cables. Mechanical stuff sometimes...just...breaks. It's the nature of it. Perhaps the best way to avoid this is to replace the cables more often than called for in the specs.

Eric

Not if Stealth's breaks first!

America rules!! We will not be outdone in the cable snap department (of course, *if* this is really a cable issue). If I remember correctly, the score currently looks like:

Intamin Cable Snaps '09

America -2

Rest of the world - 1

I wonder if These parks that are experiencing issue of Cable breaks are purchasing their cable from Intamin or from a 3rd party supplier, does anyone remember the Incident on the Giant Drop a few years ago? This was reported to be down to the park using Sub-Standard cable rather than the correct specified cable from Intamin, maybe parks are cheaping out due to the Credit Crunch???

I don't really want to speculate this as at the end of the day, it is purely an accident!

I had that happen to me when I was at Cedar Point in 1999 waiting in line to ride THE RAPTOR and I managed to get way up in front when the damn thing breaks down due to a computer glitch that didn't stop the train properly. I waited nearly sixty minutes for nothing! Sure, Cedar Point had tons of other rides to ride, but when a ride breaks down, it always feels like your day is ruined.

Only one coaster down? Last time I went to CP they had about 4 major coasters down for most of the day: Maverick, TTD, Raptor, and Magnum. Also, Skyhawk was only running one side and Max Air was down.

Not that CP was doing anything wrong. I just went on a crappy day.

so the next will be in Europe again..

Goliath has also a cable Taiko Tounge

a competition:

whitch cable will snap next?

Stealth,

Millenium force,

Goliath,

Zaturn,

El Toro

etc. etc. etc.

No Just joke...

MF's broke back in May. When I was there, the cable and maybe even the catch car was hanging over the drop. There was a big crane over it that day, but not doing any work. If I recall, it only took a week or so. If EG's track is damaged, that could be a whole separate issue.

This cable thing is getting a little out of hand...

Steel cables just don't break like this. Either the park isn't inspecting them properly, or Intamin needs to reconsider their catch car system. It really is that simple.

Shit breaks. These are probably 1-2" cables at best. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've not had a chance to see one on my own.)

I DON'T see why its so amazing. Its fatigue. The ride is 1:15 long, so assuming 1 minute to load and check the train (unrealistic, but a best case scenario) and a 10-10 operating schedule, the ride cycles 320 times a day. The cable is bent 4 times per cycle (twice going up, twice going down), so that means it is bent 1,280 times per day. And assuming a fully loaded train weighs 10,000lbs, (1000lbs for each car, plus 3000 for 28 riders) that means the cable lifts a total of 3.2 MILLION pounds every day on a best case operating scenario.

When you think about these things, its not very surprising. I'm more concerned for the catch car itself than anything if it actually fell down the lift and into the station.

It's just a coincidence that three Intamin cables have snapped this season. Intamin has nothing to do with it, as Robb pointed out. These coasters opened years ago, and these cables had been changed numerous times.

But we should make a poll. What Intamin cable snaps next?

This cable thing is getting a little out of hand...

Steel cables just don't break like this. Either the park isn't inspecting them properly, or Intamin needs to reconsider their catch car system. It really is that simple.

poo-poo breaks. These are probably 1-2" cables at best. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've not had a chance to see one on my own.)

I DON'T see why its so amazing. Its fatigue. The ride is 1:15 long, so assuming 1 minute to load and check the train (unrealistic, but a best case scenario) and a 10-10 operating schedule, the ride cycles 320 times a day. The cable is bent 4 times per cycle (twice going up, twice going down), so that means it is bent 1,280 times per day. And assuming a fully loaded train weighs 10,000lbs, (1000lbs for each car, plus 3000 for 28 riders) that means the cable lifts a total of 3.2 MILLION pounds every day on a best case operating scenario.

When you think about these things, its not very surprising. I'm more concerned for the catch car itself than anything if it actually fell down the lift and into the station.

Sh*t should be replaced before it breaks.

Fatigued steel cables have tell-tale signs like broken wires, birdcaging, kinks, flattening, etc. All of these are easily detected during a routine inspection. So yes, cables do become fatigued overtime, but a routine inspection should make that blatantly obvious.