TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

Guys, my point wasn't simply just because the awards. You are right people could less about individual rides and shows if they have awards. However, I meant the park in full. If you are in Germany, an amazing and beautiful country, why would you go to BGW? Surely not just because they have 4 roller coasters. You also want to see the world's most beautiful park which is what I was referring to specifically. After all, if someone gave KD the award for best amusement park in the world, a lot more people would flock to KD.

People from Germany aren't going to BGW just like the audience that visits BGW isn't going to Europa Park (which is regarded as one of the best theme parks in the world), Heide Park, or Phantasialand. Over the summer, I saw maybe one or two families that claimed they were from Germany. Giving KD an award will attract people, but it won't attract the same number of people that Disney attracts, nor would it warrant full year operation.

Also, rides are a main factor as well as everything else. However, roller coasters are not the only thing. In fact, when you have a new ride and you advertise it like they did, you are going to get tons of guests there solely for that ride. If there was nothing new at all, ride wise, do you think you would have so many people there just to ride roller coasters, no not really. Yes, there are some but not a majority.

1. Rides are a major factor for attracting guests.

2. People will still wait in line for the coasters no matter what's new there. If the B&Ms can still draw 60-90 min waits on busy days, that should be enough proof right there that a good chunk of the visitors are there for the rides. A good chunk of people are there for the shows too, but that doesn't mean that they'll avoid the rides.

The general public goes to a place because of advertisement. That is the key right there. If they advertised something in the right way, they could make tons of people come. Verbolten on the other hand, has had very little advertising, which is a bit annoying to me, however you see people do come to check that out, but your not getting tons of people by having a green wall up and some construction.

The public visits theme parks based on a lot of factors (closeness, costs, rides, etc). The park already advertises as far north as PA and Jersey and that's generally where most of the guests come from. I'm pretty sure the park doesn't have the money to expand its advertising further out than that and the people in those areas would rather visit parks that are closer anyway. As for V-bolt, just wait for next year. There wasn't much info about Mach this time last year either.

^ I don't mind the change to Coke, as long as they have Mello Yello!

And please, if you are going to go by the moniker "Busch Gardens Know-it-all" you can at least figure out how to properly use the word "lose" and the word "loose". It makes it hard to take anything you have to say seriously, when I see this mistake over and over in your posts.

Don't forget "your" and "you're".

You guys make great points, but you need to look at the overall big picture.

I see this! Busch Gardens Williamsburg will be a seasonal, large-scale park! Wow! Thanks for the clarity!

Theme parks operate in years not one year at a time. They figured out what they are going to do.

WHOA. I'm Impressed. I never thought that a park would ever do any planning beyond six weeks. I'm stunned with this revelation.

Verbolten is the last project under AB. Everything else will come from Blackstone.

Not really, but OK. AB was never involved with the parks in the first place: Busch Entertainment Corporation followed by SeaWorld Parks did this. The sole ownership might have been AB, but the governance of the parks was always self-guided by the likes of great men like Keith Kasen. You, if you're a noe-it-all, should be able to know who he is... and if you don't, shame on you.

They are the ones trying to "fatten" the parks before they sell it. Plus, Blackstone has worked with other theme park chains before and made them big hot spots.

Really? Blackstone is going to sell off the parks after fattening them up?

OK: Time to come into reality, please. Your fanboydom should at this point be choking you into oblivion. Blackstone might be an investment firm, but they were the ONLY BIDDERS FOR THE PARKS. And even then, Blackstone has, like AB, a hands-off approach to the parks, allowing them to be self sustaining ventures- basically a profit engine for an investment company.

And, reality check time: It will be -very- difficult to find a suitable buyer anytime in the next 15-20 years or more- as the tax benefits of a short sale on the SeaWorld parks would be -gone- instantly. Blackstone didn't make their fortune by short selling, or shell-game tax benefits. They will invest in the parks the same way that they've invested in other ventures: Not much at all. The parks, under the central governance of the SeaWorld Parks BOD will continue to do what they do. After the initial equity in the park chain is paid off in full (Such as in profits,general dividends, interest and tax-bearing savings, property valuation sales, tax and lien breaks, etc.) THEN they may consider selling the chain off. But this idea of 'fattening the parks up for a sale' -Not at all. Blackstone doesn't do stuff like that- at all.

Plus, Disney is a family destination, well so is Busch Gardens. It is a family destination and they can be like that year round, roller coasters are not the only thing that brings visitors to a park.

Disney also has something BGW/BGT/SW doesnt have:

Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Ariel, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Owl, Christopher Robins, Piglet, Ursula, Hades, Hercules, Hera, Flick, Chip, Dale, Huey, Dewey,Louie, Daisy, Roger, Bennie, Jessica, Tarzan, Mogley, Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, Brer Bear, Uncle Remus (Hopefully), Peter, Wendy, Tinkerbelle, Captain Hook, Jack Sparrow,Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Mr.Potato Head...

Oh, and year round good weather, broader appeal for all age groups, larger amount of diverse attractions beyond the PARKS themselves, Beaches, coastline, POPULATION TO SUPPORT THE PARK, Good transportation... Need I go on? Wake up and smell the REALITY CHECK.

Why, Busch Gardens is my favorite theme park in the world, and I do not ride any rides ever, except for Roman Rapids and a few small rides. Nothing big at all.

Wow! That's great! It doesn't validate your points at all: If people weren't interested in the park's rides WHY WOULD THEY BUILD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE? Oh wait. That's right. They come to the park for the, um, uh, Wait. I know this...

You know what really attracts guests? Their awards. Everyone wants to see the world's most beautiful theme park, and the fact that the trees are dead doesn't mean they don't have any beauty anymore because last time I checked there are flowers that live in the cold.

Hold on a second. What you're saying is that people don't come to BGW for the rides, such as the Loch Ness Monster, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Griffon, Le Scoot, Roman Rapids, Festa's numerous flats, EFP, Europe By Air, The Sky Ride, the Train, the FOOD, the shops, the atmosphere. They come for the AWARDS! Right! Yes, I forgot- the general public comes for the AWARDS. Duh. I should have know that.

If you're actually paying attention to your list of 'why people come to BGW, you've eschewed any sense of the reason why people come there in the first place: It's a FUN FAMILY SEASONAL PARK. They enjoy the beauty, the shows, the food and the rides IN THE RIGHT SEASON. I can think of nothing more miserable than walking around BGW on a cold day in January, other than perhaps to walk around Cedar Point on a cold day in January. If you've ever been to BGW on a cold day: THERE ARE NO GUESTS IN THE PARK. Why? IT'S TOO COLD. Having been there on a regular basis from 1991-2000, and in all sorts of weather, the park does a non-existent business on cold or rainy days. As in: None at all. During one fall chiller in 1995, I was one of maybe 1000 guests in the park, despite the crystal clear weather and sunshine. This idea that you've got that people would flock to the park in droves during the winter is assanine to begin with- to think that it could happen is even worse.

Initially, you can take them as rumors if you want,

You think? Rumors are all you're spreading here, and I'll admit, it smells a LOT like the pastures in my Uncle's cow farm...

but I see the big picture

Take off your rose-coloured glasses, and go get a vision check. You're letting fanboy ideals step in front of clear, existent logic.

and put it all together and they all add up.

Perhaps you should learn how to add then. Your math sucks. Nothing adds up- at all.

Here's a big question for you, as it's the most logical question to ask:

If BGW thought they could make money as a year round park, why haven't the done so for the past 37 years?

Look around you, as you're not really paying attention to the reality of the situation- at all.

1.) BGW is not a year round park.

2.) BGW has about as much chance of becoming a year round park as I do becoming the first queer, latino, Jewish President.

3.) If you think I'm wrong, refer to statements #1 and #2.

I think it's time to stop belaboring the "Will BGW becomes a year-round resort?" question. BG Noeit Al has presented his thoughts, and others have replied. Let's keep it from getting too heated, everyone.

Edited by cfc

Most excited for this change at my home away from home park (BGT). Up until this point I had to risk hopping the fences at the alligator pond or hope for some rain to fall to get a drink at Busch Tampa. It will be nice not having to risk a body part(s) or worry about contracting some disease from a pollutant to quench my thirst.

Or beer.

Thank you cfc, I was just passing on what I was told. Anyway, here is a question for you. If you hated the drinks they served at the park, would you still go? Buy refillable cups? or even cancel your passes?

We certainly spend less money on parks who serve Pepsi products, that's for sure!

Thank you cfc, I was just passing on what I was told. Anyway, here is a question for you. If you hated the drinks they served at the park, would you still go? Buy refillable cups? or even cancel your passes?

I might consider canceling my pass if they switched to RC. I prefer Coke products, but have no objection to Pepsi. I never buy refillable cups because I hate lugging them around.

I prefer Coke products, but have no objection to Pepsi. I never buy refillable cups because I hate lugging them around.

We are the same when it comes to those cups. I hate having to carry pretty much ANYTHING around a park! As for the Coke/Pepsi thing, I'll drink a Pepsi if there is just no other alternative, but like, when we are in a restaurant or someplace, and it's not clear what they serve, I'll ask for a Coke, and if they say "Is Pepsi ok?" I'll always be "What are my other options?" before I'll choose a Pepsi product over something (just about anything) else.