TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

So, I bought the Membership on the incredible Flash Sale, and am looking forward to visiting this park again, after a few years' absence! I am planning to go get my card, and process it on either November 5th or 6th, along with bringing my son to utilize the bring a friend free. So here's what I'm wondering... Which of those two days would be better to go? Typically, I'd say Sunday over Saturday, but Sunday IS the last operating day of the season, and it's open an hour less. Anybody who has gone that final weekend of operation previously know what crowds are typically like?

Also, I believe I saw in the GAdv thread, that if you show your voucher for the Membership to the Parking attendant, it's good to get you into Parking free. Is that the same here at GAm as well?

Last question: Is there any kind of early entry for Gold Passholders (or Membership-holders) at SFGAm? Or do you just enter with everybody else? Thanks to all for any assistance!

- Parking should be covered by simply showing your voucher for the Membership. Same as with a pass.

- As far as I can see, the final weekend is going to be a crapshoot. Normally SFGAm is open till Halloween/Nov. 1 or 2. They've not done the full weekend AFTER Halloween in recent memory. I've seen people mention a "Last Blast" event from 2002 or so and comment how it was an empty park. Not much to gage on for this year however.

Normally Fright Fest is VERY crowded on Halloween weekend.

Thanks for the response! So, am I correct in understanding that they're not doing the Fright Fest stuff that final weekend then? Or is this simply uncharted territory that we don't know what's going to happen yet? Thanks!

Correct. The final weekend the park is open is not part of Fright Fest.

Does anyone who has a membership know whether it has to be processed like a season pass does? This year I was told at Six Flags America that it does and at Six Flags St. Louis that it doesn't. Thanks.

My situation was a little unique but I had a SFStl membership for 2016 (12 month commitment was up September 5th), and I wanted to switch my membership over to SFGam for 2017 as it was actually cheaper by about $0.50/month + the dining pass was $10 cheaper and I wanted to eventually add a season flash pass.....Why don't they make this good at all parks

Basically my SFStl membership was canceled after I emailed them seeing what I needed to do, and my 2017 membership is being treated as new. When I got to the park yesterday, they attempted to issue the new card at the gate, but were having issues so I just went to pass processing to have the card they gave me activated and picked up my sport bottle for next year.

Word of advise, get your pass taken care of as early as you can because the pass processing lines at the beginning of the year can be up to an hour and a half long. Yesterday I waited about 30 minutes and the line was moving quickly and half as long as I saw it early this season.

So, I was reading in the SFDK thread, and they mentioned that RMCs tend to run worse in the cold. Is that true of Goliath? I'm just curious, as I'll finally be getting my first ride on it, but in November, so it'll likely be in the 50's (if the Accuweather extended forecast for that time holds.)

^ I think Goliath will be running fine. It seems to run well during Fright Fest.

Great! I'm really excited about getting on it finally! I know most seem to think it's the worst RMC, but my only other RMC is Storm Chaser, which is also often rated low, and I think it's a Top 5 coaster! I'm actually really excited to finally check out a Justice League ride, too!

Cold weather doesn't really matter once the ride gets running. It might make for some slow test runs and early runs but later in the day the ride should be running at a great clip regardless of temperature. Wicked Cyclone was hauling last year during Fright Fest when the temperatures dropped into the high 30's. Once the wheels warm up, the temperature can drop as low as it wants and it won't matter.

Someone is probably going to show up talking about temperature limits or that "40 degree" crap but Six Flags doesn't care so neither should you. They're experts at running coasters in ridiculously low temperatures, if we're only talking about the 50's then that's nothing to worry about at all.

One coaster at the park I know can't operate in cold weather is Whizzer. I ride towards the end Fright Fest last year and it almost valleyed several times. So if the park decides to do a HITP Whizzer wouldn't be open for during it. Speaking of HITP I'm really hoping the park decides to do it soon. It's the one thing I would totally go to even if most of the rides weren't open.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

So if the park decides to do a HITP Whizzer wouldn't be open for during it.

I wouldn't be so sure. Nitro struggles mightily with cold and windy weather too. Six Flags gave zero f**ks. They're more than happy to frontload trains and run coasters until they valley. They're cool like that. And then when they valley they'll get a crane and open it an hour later.

Edited by coasterbill

So, I bought the Membership on the incredible Flash Sale, and am looking forward to visiting this park again, after a few years' absence! I am planning to go get my card, and process it on either November 5th or 6th, along with bringing my son to utilize the bring a friend free. So here's what I'm wondering... Which of those two days would be better to go? Typically, I'd say Sunday over Saturday, but Sunday IS the last operating day of the season, and it's open an hour less. Anybody who has gone that final weekend of operation previously know what crowds are typically like?

Last question: Is there any kind of early entry for Gold Passholders (or Membership-holders) at SFGAm? Or do you just enter with everybody else? Thanks to all for any assistance!

As somebody else pointed out the last weekend is going to be kind of a mystery, because it's not typical. I would say traditionally when they're open past Halloween, it's kind of dead. Except if it's really nice or something, you never know. And as you point out, this year, as part of the Flash Sale they're giving out bring-a-friend-free tickets for that weekend, so that may really spike the attendance - bring-a-friend-free typically gets big crowds, but it's also usually in the summer.

I don't think they usually have early entrance for Gold passholders (but I'm not usually there early enough to know). There is a special entrance line on the right that's sometimes open, although the Discover line on the left is usually shorter if that's open and you have a Discover card.

There is an early entry line for Gold pass holders, it's all the way on the right. When I was there in June, they let us in at 10:15 and I was on the first Goliath train at 10:20. I got 4 rides in before 11:00, and then I went and grabbed my Flash Pass. Goliath is a fantastic coaster, the drop is nuts and it has some incredible RMC elements. Yes, it's too short, but that doesn't take away from how good of a ride it is.

With Yankee Harbor moving towards a Gotham theme, would you guys be opposed of renaming/retheming the other rides in the area to match? Like the swings could become Crime Wave. V2 could become a villain (Riddler?).

I think at this point they may as well re-theme the f'ing merry go round to some DC property. It was fine up until about Superman Ultimate Fluff.

Edited by Ed Farmer

There is an early entry line for Gold pass holders, it's all the way on the right. When I was there in June, they let us in at 10:15 and I was on the first Goliath train at 10:20. I got 4 rides in before 11:00, and then I went and grabbed my Flash Pass. Goliath is a fantastic coaster, the drop is nuts and it has some incredible RMC elements. Yes, it's too short, but that doesn't take away from how good of a ride it is.

Actually, the Gold Pass line is not an early entry line at our park. Maybe they did it once when you we there, but not anymore. It has opened at the same time as every other line every time I have used it, and I even asked management once if it got us in early and they said no. Once you are through security, which is really what the Gold Pass line gets you through, all the lines are together in the same area now.

They do have early entry for GP holders in some parks, like SFStl when we visited last year. It would sure be a nice perk.

Actually, the Gold Pass line is not an early entry line at our park. Maybe they did it once when you we there, but not anymore. It has opened at the same time as every other line every time I have used it, and I even asked management once if it got us in early and they said no. Once you are through security, which is really what the Gold Pass line gets you through, all the lines are together in the same area now.

They do have early entry for GP holders in some parks, like SFStl when we visited last year. It would sure be a nice perk.

I was at SFGAdv and they let all season pass holders in early, not just Gold. It was pretty cool as it allowed me to go straight to Nitro. I got the first train of the day , first row. After the 1st ride, there was people waiting for front, so I just asked the attendant if I could switch to back row as there was no line. I road back row 4 rides in a row before somebody was in line for back.

Btw, what was the reasoning SFGAm gave for not letting pas holders in early? It's not like we want the rides to start early like Cedar Fair does for pass holders. It would just be a little season pass holder benefit to be in front of line on your favorite ride to start the day.

Does anyone who has a membership know whether it has to be processed like a season pass does? This year I was told at Six Flags America that it does and at Six Flags St. Louis that it doesn't. Thanks.

My situation was a little unique but I had a SFStl membership for 2016 (12 month commitment was up September 5th), and I wanted to switch my membership over to SFGam for 2017 as it was actually cheaper by about $0.50/month + the dining pass was $10 cheaper and I wanted to eventually add a season flash pass.....Why don't they make this good at all parks :(

Basically my SFStl membership was canceled after I emailed them seeing what I needed to do, and my 2017 membership is being treated as new. When I got to the park yesterday, they attempted to issue the new card at the gate, but were having issues so I just went to pass processing to have the card they gave me activated and picked up my sport bottle for next year.

Word of advise, get your pass taken care of as early as you can because the pass processing lines at the beginning of the year can be up to an hour and a half long. Yesterday I waited about 30 minutes and the line was moving quickly and half as long as I saw it early this season.

Thanks for the information. Did you have to have your membership processed, or is that required only for season passes?

^So, what is the purpose of a Gold Pass line then? Is it just supposed to be a shorter wait, as it's presumably a shorter line?

Supposed to get you through security faster, as there are about 4 lines reserved only for gold pass members. Kind of depends when you arrive though. It seems a bit faster than the GP lines, but who knows. Not too exciting, though, because if you get there before the main gates open like we usually do, you are then waiting with the rest of the herd anyway.

Six Flags Great America is very inconsistent with the way they do things. There have been a few times when they let gold pass holders in early this season. Once, they decided to let gold pass holders in three minutes before they let in regular season pass holders. Everyone else was going to be let in four minutes after that. I was standing at the front, when they told the employee’s at the scanners what was going to happen. Another time, they let all season pass holders in a few minutes before everyone else. Most of the time, everyone gets let in at the same time.

I’ve been to the park over twenty times this year, and those were the only two times that gold pass holders were let in early. To be fair, things have been a little more consistent this year. They never let people in, and then hold them back somewhere along the way. They did that often last season.

^The inconsistency with getting into the park drives me up the wall. No consistent front gate opening times, whether you get stopped at some point before rides open, whether they scan the fingerprint or not, etc.

I was very annoyed this week that even though our season pass renewal voucher said the new passes would be issued at the front gate, we still got sent to the pass processing center on Monday to wait in yet another line to get them, because as the line attending said, "We want to get people through faster." Well, as it turned out, in some of the front gate lines they were indeed giving the new passes out, while in others they didn't. That's ridiculous. Last year we got them at the gate, and it was really nice. Thankfully we still got on the rides right when they opened.

I shared my thoughts in the survey I got. All I ask for is consistency and honoring what their documentation claims will happen. Really strange management.

My situation was a little unique but I had a SFStl membership for 2016 (12 month commitment was up September 5th), and I wanted to switch my membership over to SFGam for 2017 as it was actually cheaper by about $0.50/month + the dining pass was $10 cheaper and I wanted to eventually add a season flash pass.....Why don't they make this good at all parks

Thanks for the information. Did you have to have your membership processed, or is that required only for season passes?

If their system wouldn't have been down at the gates, I would not have had to go to pass processing for the membership part, however the dining plan would have needed to be done at pass activation. They are also giving out the yellow sport bottles at Primo's in hometown square.