TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Trust me, the park has plenty of room to add a massive coaster if they choose to. Mostly on the employee side and the employee parking lot, They have a lot of open room over there. Especially because the employee parking lot is never full. And Iron wolf is a big area to add a new coaster with all the trees removed.

Iron Wolf isn't that big of an area, but if you take out the Wilderness Theater and expand into part of the employee parking lot beside it (some of it doesn't even get used and they can add more lots elsewhere), you then have quite a bit of room for a coaster.

Basically they just go to the Gurnee board and say what they want to build if it's over 125 feet tall. Residents then use it as a chance to complain but thankfully the city always sides with the park. Here's a video of the Chang meeting if you want a better idea of what it's like.

I don't know why residents complain. The park has been been there since 1976. We all know that Great America brings a great deal of money to the city and I think that's the ONLY reason why the city will side with the park. If residents don't want to pay the taxes and want to complain about stupid stuff, they should just move out of Gurnee. In the last 10 years or so they built another high school, and I believe they just added a whole new addition to the older school on O'Plaine Rd. I'm sure the residents complained about that too.

Going back to my aquatrax jab, I got to thinking about what Ed said how Splashwater Falls was removed, meaning Great America doesn't have a splash boat-style ride anymore, and with rides like Pilgrim's Plunge and Divertical being built, how's the possibility of a themed Intamin water coaster sound? That would make some sense with the 125 foot height.

Still just spitballing at this point.

^^If you are talking about the land across Washington St., that is south of the park, not north. Grand Ave. is the north border.

Oh crap, my bad you're right that Is the south side, sorry.

Trust me, the park has plenty of room to add a massive coaster if they choose to. Mostly on the employee side and the employee parking lot, They have a lot of open room over there. Especially because the employee parking lot is never full. And Iron wolf is a big area to add a new coaster with all the trees removed.

Actually you would be surprised how full the employee lot gets. On an average summer day just the very edge farthest from the park is open.

Am i the only one who doesn't want a new water ride? I personally never go to the water park. It's always crowded and i am not paying 60 bucks for a flash pass. Besides, There is not that much room there for expansions. But if they could move the entrance to water park by Mega Wedgie and Dive Bomber, that would be GREAT!

Basically they just go to the Gurnee board and say what they want to build if it's over 125 feet tall. Residents then use it as a chance to complain but thankfully the city always sides with the park. Here's a video of the Chang meeting if you want a better idea of what it's like.

I don't know why residents complain. The park has been been there since 1976.

In the home owners defense, when Great America was built, the homes were already there. For those that moved in the early years, Great America was a much calmer more family friendly park, not the monster of concrete and steel Six Flags has turned it into. I'd be in for a little shock if I sat around with a peaceful theme park in my backyard for 10-15 years then all of a sudden giant coasters started popping up. Of course, this only applies to long term residents. For the newer ones, that's their own bad.

^ They should still be smart enough to know that when you live by a theme park you're not always going to have total peace and quiet. Besides, American Eagle was an early ride and that's one of the loudest rides in the park, it's not like the big coasters just popped up overnight. At the end of the day the people just need to get over it because clearly keeping the park happy is more important to the town than pleasing a few pissed off residents.

^ They should still be smart enough to know that when you live by a theme park you're not always going to have total peace and quiet. Besides, American Eagle was an early ride and that's one of the loudest rides in the park, it's not like the big coasters just popped up overnight. At the end of the day the people just need to get over it because clearly keeping the park happy is more important to the town than pleasing a few pissed off residents.

OFF TOPIC, BUT KINDA STILL ON TOPIC: I wish SFGAm would buy those houses from the NIMBY's. Less Complaints and more expansion land. A small price to pay.

I don't know why residents complain. The park has been been there since 1976.

In the home owners defense, when Great America was built, the homes were already there. For those that moved in the early years, Great America was a much calmer more family friendly park, not the monster of concrete and steel Six Flags has turned it into. I'd be in for a little shock if I sat around with a peaceful theme park in my backyard for 10-15 years then all of a sudden giant coasters started popping up. Of course, this only applies to long term residents. For the newer ones, that's their own bad.

I know of one long term resident who is NOT complaining. Considering that the property that the park sits on he used to own.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what the teaser is all about. I think it would be fun to have a mine train coaster since the park really doesn't have one. I can also see maybe a new flat ride where Trailblazer used to be. There's so many possibilities.

American Eagle is opposite side of the park. When Marriott owned to park, the attractions on the house side were limited to only 2 or 3 thrill rides and a bunch of family rides. Now Six Flags is building 150 ft tall coasters on their side. As I said, the residents that lived in the houses before or during the early years of the park have the right to complain. Anyone after 1985ish has no right to complain.

As for the new ride, I'd think some sort of water ride may be on the way. Whether that be water park or some sort of flume boat ride, I couldn't say.

Is SFGAm the only SF park to put a teaser video out?

If so, then it should be something major, since Six Flags Great America shouldn't put up a teaser video and make something bad.

^ Yes, but I think that has more to do with the parks marketing team than the addition itself. Remember all the teaser videos last year for IgNight? Whether the addition is major or not they do a lot of teasing and promoting and I don't understand why the other SF parks haven't started doing the same.

^ Yes, but I think that has more to do with the parks marketing team than the addition itself. Remember all the teaser videos last year for IgNight? Whether the addition is major or not they do a lot of teasing and promoting and I don't understand why the other SF parks haven't started doing the same.

^Yes I remember. And on commercials, it's still referred to as "the biggest event in Six Flags park history" or something like that. This video just reminded me of the non-video teasers that GateKeeper was getting last year, and the signs at King's Island teasing their new coaster. With that in mind, maybe I thought Six Flags was doing the same, perhaps, with videos. Plus the fact that none of the other parks started maybe is because SFGAm's was good enough for teasers.

Also, at least I think so, I think they are putting more emphasis on TV advertising this year. I see/hear Six Flags commercials on all the major TV and radio stations, and they change up after a few weeks. I don't recall it being like that last year, and it's working since when I went, the weather was crap and Raging Bull had a 90-minute wait. Six Flags parks are a bit more concerned about the GP than in previous years. They'll start promoting their when the ride is about to actually open I think, since the GP doesn't really want to look at teasers, so they won't exactly put much into teasers this year. I could be wrong though.

Interesting that one of Screamscape's new rumored possibilities is something 160 ft. tall in Iron Wolf's spot. Back in February this year, he said SFGAm was hoping to add a new launched coaster and was looking over ideas with Premiere, as well as following the response to Premier's Full Throttle at SFMM carefully. Full Throttle is 160 ft. tall. FT clone or similar? Would make sense in IW's spot, though I would think more length would be needed in that spot to fit it (Wilderness Theater area). Other rumor was an RMC rehab of half of Eagle.

Edited by ilrider