TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Just got back from Great America. HORRIBLE. The worse SF park I have been 2 so far. Doesnt have much of a selection of anything. Ragin Bull is the ONLY coaster there that did ANYTHING for me. NOW, X-FLIGHT didnt move me AT ALL. It is VERY BEAUTIFUL but when it was over i said, "is that it"? The ONLY positive thing i CAN say about SFGA is that the operations were STELLER. NO STACKING AT ALL. Yes NONE. Those trains were ready to get outta there by the time the other made the cycle. The same for RAGIN BULL. Went 2 cedar point the next day and that MAVERICK is NOW my favorite coaster. MEAN STREAK is bad AT ALL. U younger kids have NO RESPECT FOR THE CLASSICS. hahahah. U all have been SPOILED by STEEL. I rode MEAN STREAD 10 times and it was fine.

One question:

How does someone with 494 posts (which takes quite a long time to reach), not know better than to make one like this?

In my history of posting, I have said some pretty stupid things, but nowhere near as bad as this. If SFGAm is bad just because they have a lame collection of coasters in your opinion, then does that make Disney parks bad? Most Disney coasters, like California's Space Mountain, don't do much for me, but Disneyland is still one of my favorite parks. Coasters don't make the whole park, and other factors make a park bad.

MrSum1"if you think SFGAm has a medocire collection of rides, wait until you see the OTHER Great America"_55

**EDIT** Nevermind, did not see Robb's post. I think that clarifies it enough.

I just had my first visit to Great America this Saturday, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I think the longest line we waited in was to get our Flash Pass . There's a pretty cool collection of coasters, and I found the park to be really clean, and with friendly staff. I found myself doing a lot of comparisons to my native Great Adventure. I thought the S:UF here is somehow more exciting that the one at Great Adventure, but I'm not sure in what respect. Batman The Ride, although a year older, is way better than the one in NJ. This one is a lot better maintained and doesn't feel forgotten about, so you can focus on how crazy intense and awesome it is.

Raging Bull was super neat-o as well, with tons of air in the back on the first drop. I also liked how the last half is more of a twister coaster; I wish B&M made more like that. But still, that trim is just horrendous, so I have to give the edge to Nitro in the hyper coaster department. Of course, X-Flight was awesome, but due to lines and time constraints, I was only able to ride it once. Because of that, at the end of the day, I found myself wishing I had gotten the Platinum Pass, which isn't the best thought to have once you leave the park. American Eagle got stuck at the very bottom of the lift hill, and Viper was closed for a while because some guy wandered into a restricted area, but hey, stuff happens.

Overall, I really loved the park, and can't wait to find a way to get out there again!

Just got back. 2 books= 14 non-stop rides on X-flight (Could've gotten more if I didn't switch sides). If that's what you guys do on TPR trips, I'm signing up for one next year.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed a rattle on X-flight, it was really bad during the final helix. Other than that only a few train wait for everything else except Superman and X-flight (both 30-40 min. each). All in all, awesome day.

^^I was at the park Saturday afternoon-night, and I was surprised at how well the park was running. Even with Six Flags Great America's awesome operations, it usually isn't enough on a Saturday during peak season. The park was crowded, luckily the water park was also full due to it being in the 90s, and the wait times were surprisingly short.

Also, the chicken restaurant in Hometown Square has really gone down hill. The chicken itself seems to be hit or miss, but it was a big miss yesterday. Also, they replaced all the side options with fries and corn.

Also, maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but did the cliental wear as many narcissistic or sexist t-shirts to the park before? I know your bound to see a few when you go anywhere with a large number of people, but they seemed really prevalent Saturday. Some asshole even wore a shirt that said "I have a dick, so I make the rules".

I thought the S:UF here is somehow more exciting that the one at Great Adventure, but I'm not sure in what respect.

Funny; I'm the opposite. I adore the one at SFGAdv (it's actually in my top 25 steel), but I'm not a major fan of the one at SFGAm. And, though I'm often biased towards the first ride of a given kind I experience, Great America's was actually my first S:UF, and second flyer after Tatsu. It's probably just because I rode SFGAdv's version at night in the back row, though, which of course was more disorienting than my day rides closer to the middle at SFGAm.

I noticed the rattle during the last helix, but also the turn before the Barrel roll. It's very apparent in the back left seats, and it really jiggles you up and down if you're sitting on the outside seat. But I'm sure that's common for Wing Riders cause Wild Eagle gave me the same treatment during it's final helixes too.

^^^^I noticed that too. And is it just me or after the ride, the OTSR's seem tighter?

I've noticed that too, it seems like they really get pushed down on during the helix. I've heard the same has happened on Wild Eagle as well. I just push up on the restraint during the helix and that seems to keep it a little looser at the end.

^^^^I noticed that too. And is it just me or after the ride, the OTSR's seem tighter?

I've noticed that too, it seems like they really get pushed down on during the helix. I've heard the same has happened on Wild Eagle as well. I just push up on the restraint during the helix and that seems to keep it a little looser at the end.

Yeah, the helix does seem to do it due to the forces. Also, the 1st drop kind of does that too.

Here are some old pics I have scanned in from the 1980s:

206171_197736360352004_2125975666_n.jpg

282346_197734343685539_856635682_n.jpg

481293_197734167018890_505417199_n.jpg

1990s

182177_197737017018605_1029141100_n.jpg

599155_192789294180044_149002086_n.jpg

179120_197738637018443_284240423_n.jpg

Some of my favorites include what's left of my "The Edge" pen and a postcard cut out displaying the original operation of Demon with 3 trains... my my have times changed. The Iron Wolf sticky pad reminds me how GREAT, smooth, wild and fun the ride once was. Guess the ole' girl didn't age well. I hope she's doing better in Maryland.

I have a bunch of other stuff to post as well; old postcards, promo sheets, pictures, maps, etc. but it's gonna take some time. Hope you guys n girls enjoy

168526_197977086994598_1453686108_n.jpg (Oh yeah.. even though Demon is running extra rough this year, it's still more *fun* than it's new neighbor, X-Flight. What do you think?)

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

^Sorry, you need 50 posts on the forum before you are allowed to post links to your personal site, Facebook page, or YouTube account. The only exception is if you get permission first by a site admin.

As per the site's TOS:

14. Posting Links or "Spamming" - You must have at least 50 posts if you want to create a post which sole purpose is to link to your personal website, update, YouTube video, forum or any other website. If your post count is under 50 posts and your link has not be pre-approved by an admin or moderator, your link will be removed. Please note - links to your website in your signature are acceptable.

Feel free to post some of them on here first and THEN you can post the links to the rest of the photos. That way you aren't forcing everyone to click a link that wants to see the photos.

Thanks.

-Eric (Site Moderator)

And some more

In 1986 (or maybe 85?) Great America decided to paint the American Eagle's trains similar to the trains on the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Over Georgia (blue lead car, the rest all red with 2 white stripes). Also note this train sitting in transfer; this was when they had 3 trains on each side:

251888_197734133685560_1728073870_n.jpg

I can see this ride every time I go by Batman:

598396_197734227018884_2067304059_n.jpg

Before the extra supports were added to the loop tops (same as Viper at SFMM and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAd):

250672_197737050351935_395594327_n.jpg

Remains of the "The Edge" pen. The car still goes up and down:

270970_198052786987028_1135755061_n.jpg

This is the American Eagle after they installed the I-Beam steel tracks; you can see the steel tracks start here - where the track ties turn blue. The top 2 layers are still wood with a running rail - but the rest is steel - including the track ties and catwalks. I think soon after this, Colossus at SFMM started getting steel I-Beam tracks, and the first drop on Texas Giant opened with the I-Beams in 1990. This drop is very unique; instead of a quick break-over like most every other "big coaster" built after, the Eagle's drop apex has a very large radius. So it keeps getting steeper and steeper while speeding up. The trains still almost stop at the top; this may be done for a different reason (when the ride opened, the trains were "lined up" before the drop with the help of odd looking side friction brakes which are gone now) but the large apex and stop at top really adds to the thrill. It's not ejector air at all.. rather, its a slow float out and the train gets steeper and faster, gradually. It's such a great, underrated drop. I wish Gravity Group would build a drop like this. The "quick break over" is nice, too - but all too typical these days. This drop never fails:

198397_197736507018656_682836046_n.jpg

Here are the one of kind side friction brakes I was talking about (they were removed years ago) This is also a great view of the 20 foot ditch the first drop goes into. Also note, the bottom of this drop now has wooden supports over/across to add support to the adjacent return hills:

599586_197736447018662_2138015215_n.jpg

Shockwave after the vertical loops were reinforced (on a related note, around this time all 3 Arrow mega loopers were fitted with trim brakes immediately following the first loop. Viper at SFMM and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdventure received the full installation, but Shockwave only got the brackets and electrical work - the actual brake was never installed on Shockwave!):

556403_197737200351920_1200890745_n.jpg

A great view from the ground, or from the ride:

525771_197737380351902_1330587613_n.jpg

Eagle at sundown:

196047_197738120351828_623685629_n.jpg

And finally, Whizzer as "Swamp Thing" a couple years ago (what a great haunt name for the ride - why did they change it to "Reactor Core" last year?) Speaking of Whizzer, after 32 years of visiting the park, this ride probably has the highest return on investment (for me), in terms of *FUN* the park has ever known:

389742_197736863685287_364969713_n.jpg

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

And some more

Before the extra supports were added to the loop tops (same as Viper at SFMM and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAd):

250672_197737050351935_395594327_n.jpg

This is the American Eagle after they installed the I-Beam steel tracks; you can see the steel tracks start here - where the track ties turn blue. The top 2 layers are still wood with a running rail - but the rest is steel - including the track ties and catwalks. I think soon after this, Colossus at SFMM started getting steel I-Beam tracks, and the first drop on Texas Giant opened with the I-Beams in 1990. This drop is very unique; instead of a quick break-over like most every other "big coaster" built after, the Eagle's drop apex has a very large radius. So it keeps getting steeper and steeper while speeding up. The trains still almost stop at the top; this may be done for a different reason (when the ride opened, the trains were "lined up" before the drop with the help of odd looking side friction brakes which are gone now) but the large apex and stop at top really adds to the thrill. It's not ejector air at all.. rather, its a slow float out and the train gets steeper and faster, gradually. It's such a great, underrated drop. I wish Gravity Group would build a drop like this. The "quick break over" is nice, too - but all too typical these days. This drop never fails:

198397_197736507018656_682836046_n.jpg

Here are the one of kind side friction brakes I was talking about (they were removed years ago) This is also a great view of the 20 foot ditch the first drop goes into. Also note, the bottom of this drop now has wooden supports over/across to add support to the adjacent return hills:

599586_197736447018662_2138015215_n.jpg

Shockwave after the vertical loops were reinforced (on a related note, around this time all 3 Arrow mega loopers were fitted with trim brakes immediately following the first loop. Viper at SFMM and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdventure received the full installation, but Shockwave only got the brackets and electrical work - the actual brake was never installed on Shockwave!):

556403_197737200351920_1200890745_n.jpg

A great view from the ground, or from the ride:

525771_197737380351902_1330587613_n.jpg

Awesome stuff. Agree about the drop on Eagle. I always kind of wondered how the gradual nature of that drop produced such a great sensation.

The view of the entrance plaza from the top of Shockwave is probably the thing I miss most from this park- right next to the view looking up from the plaza itself. That's one of the reasons I hoped for Phantom treatment over outright removal. Shame. Can't say the same of it's replacement. As for the trim- the absence of one on Shockwave made a noticeable difference in the ride when compared to NJ's megalooper.

Awesome stuff. Agree about the drop on Eagle. I always kind of wondered how the gradual nature of that drop produced such a great sensation.

Exactly! I think part of it is the anticipation. You have plenty of time to look around, see how high you are, and how far you have to go down. And you can't see the bottom until you are nearly there. That whole first run is one the funnest and most epic runs in all of coasterdom... You can really feel the acceleration all the way through the first speed bump; and the 2nd speed bump is even more powerful. Front seat is never to be missed. (but that's all over as soon as you hit that big helix)

The view of the entrance plaza from the top of Shockwave is probably the thing I miss most from this park- right next to the view looking up from the plaza itself. That's one of the reasons I hoped for Phantom treatment over outright removal. Shame. Can't say the same of it's replacement..

Couldn't agree with you more. I had the plans in my head for the perfect "Phantom's Revenge" redo for Shockwave. Too bad Six Flags doesn't like to think outside the box much. Could have been really something As for Superman - the lift and loop are nice, but the rest is a complete waste of time. Shockwave was *great* once you learned how to ride it (I know, you shouldn't have to *learn* how to ride a coaster to prevent injury.. but it was so much better than what's there now.)

Mini Trip Report!

Went to Great America for the first time on Monday. Was a ridiculously hot day out, (95 in Chicago!) but we had a ball! It was my second time to a Six Flags park, the first being a trip to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake when Six Flags operated it. I must say, Six Flags stepped their game up. The park was much nicer than I was expecting. I'm very used to Cedar Fair parks. (CP, KI, and CW were local to me when I lived in Detroit, I'm new to Chicago)

My Favorites:

- Raging Bull was awesome. Sort of reminded me of Behemoth, but was almost better with the low-to-the-ground turns. The tunnel at the bottom was great, thats exactly what CW should've done with Leviathan. We rode this around noon, so it was peak sun hours & was almost too hot to ride. I got off feeling a bit dizzy due to heat, but it was worth it. Excellent B&M Hypertwister!

- Batman:The Ride was also great. Given its simple (and duplicated everywhere) layout, it was actually quite exciting. One of the trains was running without the wheel covers though.

- V2 - I love the impulse coasters. Wicked Twister is still my favorite, but I enjoyed this one. Shame they don't utilize the rear tower brake anymore.

- I loved the Whizzer. Really fun throwback ride! Was nice riding in the woodsy area.

X-Flight:

Excellent ride! B&M has built a winner with this one. It looked much slower than it felt. When you're on it, it flys! The control tower and water jets were really great features. The wait time was about 45 minutes. I'm very intrigued to see what kind of layout Cedar Point has planned. And it made me want to check out Wild Eagle. Oh Dolly, I need a trip to your park...

Other Notes:

- The Dark Night ride was really bizarre contraption. I enjoyed it, sort of, but the wild mouses are so jerky of course. The added effects were cool though.

-The Drop Tower was scary. My friends rode it, but I waited. I refuse to ride the Intamin drop towers ever since the Hellivator had the incident. Also, whats with them keeping two cars stuck at the top for the day? Drop towers in general give me too much anxiety, i hate them.

- American Eagle was really rundown. They need to refurbish this ASAP. It looked like it came out of Silent Hill, and riding it was kind of scary because it looked like it was falling apart. They were only running one side of it. Is this normal?

- It was strange riding a lot of the coasters without the seat-belt catch for the restraint. These are standard at Cedar Fair parks, so it threw me off a bit.

- The flume ride was cute.

- The crowds were decent. I'm gay and didn't really have to worry about tolerance there. (Unlike parks in Ohio, ha) Very LGBT friendly crowd, and also saw many other LGBT people.

- There was an acapella boy band group singing one-direction covers. Excellent.

All in all, I'm glad I got a season pass. Great deal if you buy 4 or more, its only $69.99. Great park. Great times.. I'm excited to go back.