TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Off-Season Aerial Shots over Cedar Point!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maverix

SSC was never this wild

Re: Cedar Point Project 2009

I think that if there were to be something new that we would have seen something happening by now. Remember, Maverick was released before the park even closed in the 2006 season and work on it had started even before then. So I don't think that '09 will bring anything new, but 2010 there will most likely be something new.

I also read that Cedar Point is on a 10 year, 5 coaster contract with Intamin.

2000: Millennium Force

2002: Wicked Twister

2003: Top Thrill Dragster

2007: Maverick

2010: ???

This is the post i read on SSCoaster Forums. Doesn't mean it's true or anything...

What the heck is an Intamin Splitting Coaster? or did he mean Spinning Coaster lol

Thanks for the great pics of CP, all those Intamins there are just delicious.

One thing why do you keep saying fail on on Wicked Twister when you don't know what's the problem and if you do know your not giving any hints on why it has failed.

I don't think CP thinks WT nor Intamin is a Fail in their book they bought two more after WT and rumored to be getting a recored breaking Intamin water ride for 2010

Imo CP is getting a B&M Dive Machine for 2010 look the splash down is already there

^^A splitting coaster is VERY VERY new technology that begins looking like a single train but usually splits off somewhere. They usually follow "mirrored" routes, but can take on completely different layouts. They can spin like X cars and are very much like them, but they face forwards in the beginning.

2039103858_SplittingCoaster.jpg.54b003ae8a38220d45b9b2ad6caaa0e7.jpg

Here's an example from the RCT3 Wild! Expansion Pack. The coaster looks similar to the X car but it can split into twisted layouts. The seats also spin, but are shown in upright position.

This might be my favorite post ever. I have never seen Ceder Point pics like these. Being a west coaster I have never been to CP I've seen tons of pics. of CP and I've always seen water but I never knew it was SO out on it's own wrapped all around by water. It's a beautiful park. Great update, Great pics, thanks for the effort. Great job.

What the heck is an Intamin Splitting Coaster? or did he mean Spinning Coaster lol

Thanks for the great pics of CP, all those Intamins there are just delicious.

One thing why do you keep saying fail on on Wicked Twister when you don't know what's the problem and if you do know your not giving any hints on why it has failed.

I don't think CP thinks WT nor Intamin is a Fail in their book they bought two more after WT and rumored to be getting a recored breaking Intamin water ride for 2010

Imo CP is getting a B&M Dive Machine for 2010 look the splash down is already there

Well I've been going to the park for years and Wicked Twister has always had problems... Especially with the track on the spikes. Constant cracking and welding due to extreme weather conditions only leads me to believe there was poor engineering on Intamins part. There isn't nearly enough support for that much track to be free standing with as much wind the lake creates.

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments! I'm glad everyone enjoyed them. I never expected such a large response and a spot on the TPR front page.

^^^ That looks more like a Wing Walker/Ball Coaster than an X-Car. Both coasters are made by completely different companies.

As for a pre-fab, IIRC, Kinzel stated that no Intamin pre-fabs would be build at CP. Judging by past new coasters Cedar Fair has built, the next possible wood coaster would probably be a GCI.

^When was that said and wheres the proof? When the times comes I doubt CP would pass on a Plug n Play knowing how extreme it is and how easy it is to maintain.

I thought that Splitting coaster as you call it was the prototype Setpoint Seismic Coaster, not an Intamin. It's also not new, one has just never been built.

Well the track needs to sway a bit or else it would snap, but maybe it was swaying too much or something, and they have to repair it once in a while.

More fun are the impulses with the rear hold brake on the straight rear spike. I remember media day at the park formerly, and then again known as Geauga Lake when they got theirs. I was awestruck at the sway after the train was released from the hold brake.

Wow that was an interesting p:tr! I really liked the pic showing Maverick and Mean Streak. I think they look great next to each other. Too bad Mean Streak sucks lol. Also what is that behind Mean Streak? They look like little houses. Wicked Twister looks like its gone! (just kidding) Its probably rehab.....??? Hopefully its just rehab.

Awesome pictures, and I agree, Mantis is definitely underrated and kick-ass.

Don't count on a Flyer or Intamin Woody though, as I read an interview with Dick Kinzel a year or two ago that said CP would absolutely not be getting either of those coasters (or maybe he was trying to throw us off).

I'd put money on a GCI.

Great photos!

I got to ask... what kind of camera did you use?

My Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. Most of my photos on Flickr have been taken with this camera like my Hershey Park, Dorney Park and other newer photos. Great camera if you want beef but not an SLR. I would love however to get an SLR soon so I can improve my artistic appeal of my photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX100IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG4W

That back spike on Wicked Twister has been problematic since it opened. The ride was closed a lot its first couple seasons, most often simply because they had to constantly do patch welding jobs on that section of track. They added additional supports to both spikes after that (the small yellow beams that extend up from the green supports), but it's still been a pretty consistent issue.

Beautiful TR, I can't wait to get there again this year. Is it better to run to top thrill or back to maverick first? (what about if you stay at hotel breakers). RCDB lists maverick's capacity as slightly higher... I think it's a horrible idea to pass up on a nice compact intamin prefab when there's only one in the US. It doesn't make sense to me unless they're planning the tallest B&M dive machine. I'm waiting for the next huge non-launched coaster. I'm tired of TTD & Kingda KA one trick ponies.

Beautiful TR, I can't wait to get there again this year. Is it better to run to top thrill or back to maverick first? (what about if you stay at hotel breakers). RCDB lists maverick's capacity as slightly higher...

Well, Maverick is open during early entry, Dragster is not.

And typically Dragster's capacity is extra poor in the morning, as it takes about an hour of warming up before they start loading full trains. (at least they do this in the colder spring/fall months).

So I'd say in either situation go to Maverick, and then come back to Dragster later.