TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did understand the concept in ride theming whereby simply riding the coaster you are fighting the bad guy somehow. See SWSD's Journey to Atlantis coaster as a prime example of how spectacularly this concept can fail.

Good to see they hired real professional actors for this movie.. I want James Cameron back .

I'm glad to hear that the theming will be superior to Batman's, I'm curious to see how "animated" (fluid) the Terminator's they get for this ride will be...

Tim said during the backstage tour that he has no plans to actually animate any of the Terminator figures. They'll pretty much just be standing props.

While it WOULD be really cool to have animatronic Terminators, it's just way beyond the budget of SFMM for now I'd imagine, seeing as it certainly wouldn't be cheap to do so.

^ I guess, but that just seems like part of a larger effort to rebrand those attractions in lieu of getting a brand new ride as an attendance driver. Somehow I don't think Terminator is gonna get a makeover anytime soon.

I've just never seen them PLUS any thematic elements on any of the major "themed" rides (Batman, Superman, Goliath) and quite a bit of the time those rides have elements that aren't working at all. Stuff gets new paint but it's not like the Batcave or Superman's Fortress has received any additional theming since they opened. Making a terminator's arms move doesn't seem like something that would be on their list of things to do.

^ Obviously not soon, because it will barely be opened.

What I mean is that if SFMM ever feel Terminator theming ever needs some retouching, I have no doubt they will do it and even improve on previous theming.

^ Its not like they just decide they want to go prom a stool prop to deciding they want to order a moving animatronic. That's not cheap hardware.

As far as the "wooden coasters doesn't need theming" comment, most wooden coasters aren't generally themed around a multi million dollar film franchise..

Six Flags has done relatively good theming before. I like the theming that went into the Mr. Freeze rides, as well as Superman:The Escape and Batman. No, it's not very extensive nor was it kept up very well. But the attempt was pretty good. I think the theming on Terminator will be quite good.

West Coash Bash Updated posted here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=23&linkid=4789

Here are our Terminator Photos:

OMG! OMG! Open Gate! Whatever must we do? Oh, I know...walk through it.

Today we were treated to an awesome backstage tour of Terminator Salvation: The Ride.

For all you concrete slab enthusaists...here you go.

Today we get to see Terminator's "other side."

Pretty, pretty deadman turn.

All these TPR and RW members get to hang out in an area that no other member of the public will get to be in.

If you like these photos, please...

Random close up!!!

Hmm....looks like they *may* not be cycling trains today.

Today the role of Terminator Salvation: The Ride will be played by Robb Alvey.

Steel stuff and parts. Fun? Yes!

OMG! Another close up!

Tim said two VERY important things during his presentation. The first was "Tell that Alvey guy to get off my concrete slab!" The second was "Terminator Salvation: The Ride will debut on May 21st."

This is an angle you soon will never, ever be able to see again. We are told that part of the show building will sit in this location.

GCI woodies always seem to have plenty of curvy bits!

As you can see there is a lot that has been completed already on this ride.

Could be a nice floater airtime hill here!

More Popsicle sticks hanging around backstage.

Here is a good view of the first drop (looks very Renegade-like) and what will soon be the lift hill.

Zoomed in on the first drop because we are told you guys like this sort of thing.

This little 'bump' could provide an interesting surprise!

More random wood bits.

"I'm telling you...Terminator is JUST a cover up! The real name of the ride is going to be Goliath!!!"

More shots of GCI wooden goodness.

This will soon be the entrance bridge into the area.

I gotta feeling you're going to be flying through this section pretty fast!

Hmmm...any reason why there is a dark ominous cloud hovering over Deja Vu?

"It would be really cool to bring a piece of wood like this one home with me!" (element of foreshadowing here for all you literary buffs)

I like bolts. I. Like. Bolts. I like bolts. I. Like. Bolts. What's that? That's a bolt. What's that? That's a bolt. And bolts keep things in place. We turn like a bolt. We turn like a bolt. Cause bolts keep things in place. I like bolts. I. Like. Bolts. I like bolts. I. Like. Bolts.

(ps. if you know what TV show this is from...

Tim Burkhart and Neal Thurman say "If you see that Alvey guy lay on our concrete slab again, please get security! But seriously come out and ride Terminator Salvation: The Ride Memorial Day weekend...you're gonna LOVE it!"

NERD ALERT!!!

Right in the middle of the 11:15 construction tour, a random 5 minute hail storm came out of the blue and rained ice pieces on everyone! While on one hand it was actually pretty darn funny, this will probably be the closest Terminator Salvation: The Ride will come to ever seeing "snow."

"Ok, drop the train and lets see how far we can jump it!"

OMG! NERD PHOTO!!!!

Ooh! Secret entrance to Terminator revealed!

Here is the lift hill just laying all over the floor!

In case you want to build your own wood coaster in your back yard, you'll need lots of this stuff.

OK everyone, time to head back to the real world and say goodbye to Terminator Salvation: The Ride...at least until Memorial Day!

Big Mike says "Thank you Magic Mountain for letting us check out Terminator Salvation: The Ride!"

Yay for May 21st! Btw was any information given at all about the 2011 coaster during WCB, or were they tight-lipped about it or no one asked about it?

And as for the theming, I'm just happy they are indeed spending money on theming. Moving animatronics (sp?) would be cool, but not only are they expensive to make, but because they are very complex, and mechanical issues can cause them to be either out or obsolete until the park gets time to repair them, which, such as in the case of the Yeti in Expedition Everest or one of the Mummy soldiers in the Universal Orlando version of Revenge of the Mummy, could take a very long time.

Great pictures for this update! I'm shocked to see myself in pictures... I don't picture myself being THAT BIG! It's seems construction has slowed a bit, but I guess that is because the only things left are the hard parts! Does anybody else think Tim Burkhart has a resemblance to Agent Smith?

Well when they say that there will be theming that will surpass that of Batman's... It's not like there won't be any. I was merely curious about how extensive it will be. I suppose I care a little too much about the theming .

Tim also said that about Thomas Town @ the 2008 WCB.

Well when they say that there will be theming that will surpass that of Batman's... It's not like there won't be any. I was merely curious about how extensive it will be. I suppose I care a little too much about the theming .

It seems to me that with Six Flags, the ambition always surpasses what the actual budget will allow (exp the X2 tunnels). But I have a good feeling about Terminator. I refuse to get my expectations as high as some other people though. I just think it will be fun.

I mean let's just be real here. It's a theme park coaster, not a new Disney E-ticket.

^My only concern is the ride experince, not the theme. I think the layout looks unique and interesting, but I wonder if it will feel like too short of a ride I think the theme is just the icing on the cake, and with the movie people doing the theme for the ride I think it's going to be some real good icing!

Personally, I thought he was going for more of a "Men In Black" look.

He definitely has something going on around the destroying the matix/managing the alien world type of look! All we know is what he does during the day!

Well, to be fair, although it is small, Thomas Town IS one of the nicer looking areas of the park.

I'm expecting something more along the lines of the Dark Knight pre-show building. Which wasn't bad, actually, just not something I want to have to stop and watch over and over again.

--Robb