TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are you prone to experimenting with your PC?

generaleclectic

Hey Folks!

I searched and searched and couldn't find where anyone had ever started a discussion about what interesting things have been done with a perfectly good, unsuspecting PC.

Currently, I have a project started where I am attempting to assert Mac OS X Panther on an HP nx6310 laptop. I've already been through one build that didn't seem to like the Centrino architecture. I continually got this error message advising me to restart the machine. A Mac user told me that on the initial install of the OS, this was normal about 4 or 5 times. After 13 times, I moved on to another Intel build called Kalyway 10.5.2. At the time that I am writing this, I've got ~4 minutes left on the initial installation.

Does anyone else have any interesting Frankenstein projects going with their PC?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I can't say I do which is ironic given I work in IT. I just know what I want the thing to do, so as long as it does what I require I'm cool.

My most expansive project was adding some extra RAM or wiping the hard drive, so I guess I'm a fail on computer geekiness. I love how PC and laptops seem to love to die just after the warranty expires, it's like the movie The Happening with PC's.

Well I have a copy of OSX Leopard on my PC and it's been running since April. One of the other sites I belong to is a technical board on people installing OSX on various machines. I built my machine from scratch based on the most compatible parts that were mentioned in the various threads. I had a small contribution on getting an Airport compatible 5ghz network card in a desktop. It was a bit more expensive for the adapter, but once I got installed the OS, the card was instantly recognized and I connected it to the time capsule.

Also I'm using a legal copy of the Mac OS as an install, and the discussion of it is legal as long as you don't post where to get the Kalyway and other installs. I can PM the link to the site if you want. But the box serves as a dev box for Windows and linux as well (have them on separate discs controlled by the bios) and is a temp mac machine until I can finish saving for my macbook. I'm looking into maybe doing some iphone programming for fun.

I've also spent time upgrading my powerbook and my roommates macbook pro to the 5gh 802.11n network and replacing logic board, hard drive and dvd rom to a dual layer dvd. I also opened my mac mini to upgrade the network card, dvd drive and memory. I wanted to upgrade the cpu but was short on cash saving for the Europe trip. I may buy some tools to open up a friend's iMac to replace a failing hard drive.

I used to love to build computers but I my priorities shift to exercising. Wouldn't mind building another hackintosh for fun. But I guess I love constantly tinkering with computers.

Terry

When ever I have the money I put new stuff in my gaming PC I built myself.

Overtime Ive put this stuff in and all together its added to about $4000 or more.

Specs:

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Quad Core 3.2Ghz

4 WD 250gb 10,000 RPM VelociRaptors

2 Nvidia 9800 GX2 (yeah its like having 4 GPU's!)

8gb DDR2 RAM

Creative Sound Blaster Xteamemusic card.

2 19'' Widescreen Monitors

5.1 Surround

Blu-Ray Drive

DVD Drive

Duel Booted XP and Vista

I overclock some old cards just to play around...

^Okie... I guess I'm kind of a geek fail in that respect. LOL Too many years of trying to help the computer illiterate I suppose. It certainly doesn't help that I have reduced myself to coding in SQL all day long. That combined with trying to figure out strange ways of making .NetFramework 2.0 to do my bidding has made me a little dull.

Anyways, I got the Kalyway Mac OS build on this laptop and it's frozen a couple of times. I'm restarting for the 3rd time while turning out some SQL code.

^Do any games need more then one gpu at normal rezs? I mean, maybe if you have one of the 30in lcds sli will help, but the cheapness in me says "an Ati 4870 is enough!"

Maybe it's just that TF2 is still amazing nearly a year later, but other then getting print drivers working in 10.5, and screwing with the iPod touch, I'd rather play. ( though it seems like apple breaks something with every update...)

^Yeah Crysis is the one game that will put your video card to the test! I have a 8800GT installed that is slightly overclocked. Not that I've played any games with it, but it was more for compatibility for my mac install.I have 3 hard drives installed and I use it to store my music and video. I got some cheap computer equipment directly from China; the wireless card that apple uses and 3rd parties want to charge $120 for I got for $40 with shipping. Can't beat that!

Eli: I would check insanelymac.com for the boot-132 patch that allows you to install the original mac disk from any computer. Also I would check into making sure you have the proper patches for your network and other hardware. There's a program called kext helper that will alllow you to install the drivers for the hardware. You also may have to try a different install to see if you get a different result. If you're using a laptop with a core duo, it may make sense to go the boot-132 route, and use the efi strings for best compatibility (look for a program called efi studio). It's a bit harder using OEM laptops than custom built rigs. But the key is know what hardware on your laptop is compatible and anything is incompatible.

But anyway that site is a good reference (well the only reference) for trying the mac-on-pc project.

Terry

My usual geekdom arrives when I either am upgrading a component (video card, ram, etc) or when my computer completely dies out on me requiring me to build from scratch. That happened last year where my power supply hit the fan, and my mobo was being screwy...not to mention, my harddrive kept having bootup problems. I finally said 'screw it' and rebuilt from scratch.

I do like to mess around with my desktop. I only have a modest one though. It has a 2ghz Duel Core, ATI 3850 and 2gb of ram and one 74gb raptor and a second 150gb HDD. It gets the job done though. I can play most games and on pretty high settings. I play most games PC because I only have a Wii.

I don't have that good of a machine, but it gets the job done...

I currently have....

MB-ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

CPU-AMD 6400+ Black Edition

GPU-XFX 8600GT currently clocked at 620 MHz

HDD-Seagate 320GB (oh how i would love a Raptor X)

RAM- 2 1Gb sticks of Geil

LiteOn DVD drive

PSU-OCZ 600watt

i think that about covers it, maybe sometime next year I am going to begin to mess around with water cooling this rig.

I found a Commodore Amiga emulator the other day. Still have to set it up, but I got nostalgic since I used to own an Amiga 2000 years ago. I'm still looking for this tank "capture the flag" game that I used to play with my roommate, who was one of the members of the college football team (sigh). (On a side note this was the same guy that got me a girl for my 21st birthday. Had to return it. Ya'll know why! Poor thing... I was passed out and she crawled in my bed... then I pushed her out and threw the covers over my head. The guys said they fell out laughing! Yeah they were watching!)

Anyway, one time we were snowed in and I came back to the room from the cafeteria and just about the whole team was in there playing on my computer.... big boys!

(sigh)

Anyway, once I got it together, I had to tell them not to play with my computer when I'm not in, and then challenged them to play the tank game. That was a fun day... not as fun as I wanted it to be, mind you.

Terry "wouldn't minded being tackled just once" Weaver

• 7 months later...

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the Windows 7 RC1? I downloaded it last night, and surprisingly enough it's not that bad. I put the disk in and about an hour later it had set itself up. It even knew I was using an Apple keyboard! I only updated the video driver and it found everything else.

I'm playing around with the 64bit version instead of the 32bit version and it's nice to see all 4gb of RAM recognized. It's pretty fast too! I also like the window previews down in the start bar so I can see which window I want to switch to. It's also nice not to get the 50 million security popups just to install a program like Vista had!

I guess when it comes out, I'll be buying it (along with Snow Leopard--gotta keep my mac updated!) If you are going to update your machines later, I would suggest moving up to 64 bits to you can have more memory management in your programs; won't speed things up but at least your 32-bit programs have more memory to play with instead of sharing 4gb with the operating system.

Guess someone was cracking the whip in Redmond!

I also bought a Nvidia GTX 280 and another 4gb or RAM! Happy B-day to me! Now I have to see if I can run both that video card and my 8800GT without swapping them when I run Leopard (it doesn't support the new card).

Now to test my 3D Modeling program and RCT3...

Terry