TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I would be very surprised if it is a coaster. I would say the chances of that happening are next to none

What else could it be though. I'm not saying it is, i'm just curious now.

Sure. Two flat rides, a new front entrance, and a new coaster, and extending the operating season by two months, all in the same year, for a park with annual attendance of just over a million. Let's think long and hard about that idea.

Okay, that should have been long enough to realize why that isn't happening.

They also added Patriot and Prowler within tree years of each other. And with SFSL and SDC in the area why not try to make WOF the destination park in the midwest.

Worlds of Fun will never match Silver Dollar City for me. Even if they were adding a giga coaster next year on top of everything else, SDC would still be the obvious winner.

I don't get it though. Never been to SDC, but have been to WOF and SFSL. What's so special about SDC?

SDC is very different from those two. It has a sense of place that the other two lack. At Worlds of Fun or Six Flags, you feel that you're in a fun place with lots of fun rides. At SDC, you feel that you're in another time and place altogether. And that to me is the basis of what makes a true theme park.

To really get it, you just need to go. Take the cave tour and have some cinnamon bread. Then you'll understand.

I would be very surprised if it is a coaster. I would say the chances of that happening are next to none

Sure. Two flat rides, a new front entrance, and a new coaster, and extending the operating season by two months, all in the same year, for a park with annual attendance of just over a million. Let's think long and hard about that idea.

They also added Patriot and Prowler within tree years of each other. And with SFSL and SDC in the area why not try to make WOF the destination park in the midwest.

Worlds of Fun will never match Silver Dollar City for me. Even if they were adding a giga coaster next year on top of everything else, SDC would still be the obvious winner.

I don't get it though. Never been to SDC, but have been to WOF and SFSL. What's so special about SDC?

I remember going in December one year for my birthday, while it was less than 30 degrees. We only rode Outlaw Run and Giant Barn Swing before everything closed for weather. Even then, when weather was unbearable and painful, I had a better night than I had ever had at Six Flags or Worlds of Fun. The cave tour, atmosphere, flooded mine, Fire in the Hole, and Grandfather's Mansion alone make this park one of the best in the world. Not to mention that it features my favorite wood coaster (Outlaw Run) and my favorite Mine Train of any park in the US.

Have you heard of Geauga Lake?

I don't really understand what Geauga Lake has to do with anything. What exactly do you mean?

Cedar Fair closed Geauga Lake because it competed with Cedar Point.

Exactly. It had nothing to do with "too much growth". It was simply a business move. Had CF never acquired Geauga Lake, I'm confident it would still be in business today.

Same reason they bought Michigans Adventure and Kings Island

Yeah, but GL was an hour away. KI is 3 hours away and MA is four. When CF bought GL the left it open for three seasons to see what the profits would be. I'm sure Six Flags was fine with having a park to compete with Cedar Point. Cedar Fair looked at it like this: 'We have to pay staff wages for park that doesn't make much in profit and takes guests away from CP.'

It's understandable why they closed it. Sure it sucks, but with CP literally on their doorstep it was a good business decision.

Same reason they bought Michigans Adventure and Kings Island

Yeah, but GL was an hour away. KI is 3 hours away and MA is four. When CF bought GL the left it open for three seasons to see what the profits would be. I'm sure Six Flags was fine with having a park to compete with Cedar Point. Cedar Fair looked at it like this: 'We have to pay staff wages for park that doesn't make much in profit and takes guests away from CP.'

It's understandable why they closed it. Sure it sucks, but with CP literally on their doorstep it was a good business decision.

I really do wish SF had kept the park though. Obviously for selfish reasons as I hate to see such a magnificent place get bulldozed. But I also think it would have been nice for SF to have a park in Ohio. Its a park heavy state. I feel they could have had a very profitable park.

I'm really looking forward to visiting WOF next year. In fact, I'm planning on buying a season pass instead of a season pass for SF. With that being said, it really sucks that it will be my first visit to the park in 11 years and there is only one roller coaster at the park I have not ridden. Still, looking forward to a change from SF though.

Exactly. It had nothing to do with "too much growth". It was simply a business move. Had CF never acquired Geauga Lake, I'm confident it would still be in business today.

I think it had a bit to do with "too much growth" as well. You try and depreciate 100s of million worth of rides/infrastructure off the books at a mid-sized park and still try and make a profit ever again. Cedar Fair's only choice when they bought that park was to close it.

I'm really looking forward to visiting WOF next year. In fact, I'm planning on buying a season pass instead of a season pass for SF. With that being said, it really sucks that it will be my first visit to the park in 11 years and there is only one roller coaster at the park I have not ridden. Still, looking forward to a change from SF though.

WOF has also done a lot of infrastructure upgrades in that same period of time (much like what SF has supposedly done) - the thing with WOF is that they are actually visible. I've been impressed with how ops have improved. I wish SF would take pointers, especially from food services.

Coaster rumors are getting louder again. Next season may be the last season for the Forum/Heart of America ampitheatre

WOF has also done a lot of infrastructure upgrades in that same period of time (much like what SF has supposedly done) - the thing with WOF is that they are actually visible. I've been impressed with how ops have improved. I wish SF would take pointers, especially from food services.

Coaster rumors are getting louder again. Next season may be the last season for the Forum/Heart of America ampitheatre

What do they use the amphitheater for anyway. I remember way back when that path was open for visitors, but it's been closed off for years now.

They've been using it for All Wheel Sports the past couple years. The ramps and stage have been torn out and I've heard it won't be returning. I hope they use it for something, maybe Winterfest? They could also do something like Frontier City does and offer free concerts. From what it looked like, it was a pretty big hit. On another note, I received information from a manager at OOF about Diamondhead. He told me it would be there next year, which was nice to hear, but it's hard to say if that is actually true. I took my last rides on it like it was closing for good, but hopefully it isn't.

Did the middle slide ever operate this year?

I'm all for it being removed and one of Tornado slides being put there.

Yeah I've heard All Wheels Xtreme will not be returning as well. That's prime land there that could house a decent sized coaster. I personally would prefer a B&M - floorless, wing, sit down looper. Not too picky.

A Premier Sky Rocket II is the largest new ride I could forsee at WOF anytime. That doesn't mean it would not be a great addition!

Skyrocket II's are soooo boring. They need a good launch coaster.

Having never been on a Skyrocket II, even I can say they are definitely not boring. Maybe a little short? Yes. But definitely not boring.

I could see a Skyrocket II being built at worlds of fun. I think it would cover a lot of things worlds of fun is missing in their coaster line up. I'd just hope they'd get the transfer track station like the one in Mexico got. I'd be concerned about capacity on the park's busier days.

A Premier Sky Rocket II is the largest new ride I could forsee at WOF anytime. That doesn't mean it would not be a great addition!

Having never been on a Skyrocket II, even I can say they are definitely not boring. Maybe a little short? Yes. But definitely not boring.

I have. They are boring.

I have. They are boring.

I must be missing something. Why are you so adamant about forcing your opinion on a Skyrocket II? I've ridden both Tempesto and Superman finding them both to be quite fun. It would be something quite different in the Midwest (meaning it would be very marketable)