TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Six Flags Over Georgia Photo TR!

Hey guys!

On our annual vacation to Hilton Head Island, we've had previous stops at Carowinds on the way down. But since our "gold passes" no longer get us free admission, we're able to get some tickets to SFOG! I've never been there, but I've heard a LOT of great things about the park.

There are two possibilites on how we're going to go.

-All day Friday

-2 or 3PM until 8PM

Now, I know there are options for fast passes, but with possibly five hours in the park? I doubt that's possible. Maybe at Carowinds, but doubtful for the first week of June at SFOG.

Given I have the possibility to go all day friday, what should I expect the crowds to be like? I'd love to go to Goliath first, but I know they have rides like Superman that have a lower capacity.

I've heard a little bit about the locker policies, but my mom wouldn't be riding the big coasters: but where would they be strict about things in cargo pockets?

Where's the best/cheapest place to eat?

I know about Acrophobia as the highlight flat ride; but what else do they have?

Where are the best places to sit on the coasters?

Oh, and who wants to meet up?

-J "Thanks in advanced for the info" Z

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need a full day at SFoG if you have never been. 5 hours is not going to cut it. I am not sure when the kids get out of school in Georgia, but the park can get quite crowded in the summer. I highly recommend getting the Qbots at the park, it is certainly worth the price, without them you will be in for a long wait for many of the coasters. I found Sundays to be the best time to go to the park, its usually quite dead until noon. If you decide not to get the Qbot, I would probably go do Superman first right at opening. The park sometimes opens the front section a little early with both the Cyclone as well as the Scorcher. As for the Georgia Cyclone and Ninja, make sure you ride in the front bench of the very last car. They are brutal anywhere else.

Thanks for the advice to far, guys.

I think that we're going to plan on leaving around mid-day thursday and getting into Atlanta/place close to SFOG that night. It should be about an eight hour drive. My family just wouldn't be able to get up at 3-4 in the mprning to go to a theme park. The biggest issue was staying two nights in a hotel, but I keep reminding my parents that we got the tickets for free, so yeah.

Does SFOG have a skyride/chair lift? I love those

And how's Goliath this year? I've heard the trim is on a bit harder than usual. Also, it looks like if you're not on an outside seat on any B&M hyper ('cept for the front row) the only view you're going to get is of the seat infront of you. Is that true? Where to sit?

Does SFOG have a skyride/chair lift? I love those

And how's Goliath this year? I've heard the trim is on a bit harder than usual. Also, it looks like if you're not on an outside seat on any B&M hyper ('cept for the front row) the only view you're going to get is of the seat infront of you. Is that true? Where to sit?

Yes, they have a skyride.

Goliath is as good as ever, in my opinion. Didn't notice the trim anymore than it's ever been. But then again, I'm of the opinion that it never completely kills the ride anyway. Any seat on a B&M hyper is fine. I prefer the back row, and especially on Goliath, because you get more from the first drop that way.

^^Yes, the have sky buckets, but they're really short and not really that great. Goliath is awesome pretty much anywhere you sit, but the back row is the best (front row is really fun too). I haven't noticed the trim being on any harder on Goliath this year, but I did think it was a little but harder on Mind Bender this year (maybe that was just me though...).

I would do Goliath first and then go to Superman because these two rides get the longest lines. Superman is at the back of the park, so Goliath is sort of on the way anyways. As for flats, they have a wheelie that I think is really fun so it may be worth a ride if you like that kind of thing. Also, as Erik said, if you're looking for seating tips then go on the front row of the back cars to avoid some pain on Ninja and Cyclone.

To answer your locker policy question, I have never had a problem riding with stuff in my pockets. I don't like to bring a lot of stuff to parks, so I usually just have my phone, wallet, and camera, but I've never had to get a locker or anything.

You also need to go on Monster Plantation, no excuses.

I've heard a little bit about the locker policies, but my mom wouldn't be riding the big coasters: but where would they be strict about things in cargo pockets?

I have never been to SFOG. (so please, no one be immature and flame me because I am making a general statement from my experience going to various parks owned by various companies) but every park I have been to where I have worn cargo shorts with Velcro pockets, I have had zero problems whatsoever. Some of those parks include SFMM, CP, Kennywood, Kings Island, KBF, and GL. It's a universally accepted way of securing your loose articles (at least from my experiences). Hope that helped, and have fun at SFOG! I really want to go there sometime!

I had no problems with the "EVIL locker MONEY making machine" that some people claim it to be. Stuff in my pockets no questions asked, my wife even had a small hip sack type thing that they never mentioned either. Cyclone was still awesome and I just ride all coasters in back. As for flash passes i have never gotten them at any park unless I am with the Alveys. If you are going to be there all day you should be ok. Monster plantation is a must and have a great day. It is definately my favorite SF park.

I just ride all coasters in back.

I'm going to second that. I'd give Mindbender and Goliath a try in the front, but don't miss out on the back either.

And as everybody else has said, don't miss Monster Plantation. I recommend Shake, Rattler & Roll as well. It's an indoor scrambler loaded with black lights and blaring music.

Two things:

1) Don't skip Mind Bender. It's at least as good as Goliath. Be sure to get at least one cycle in the very back and one in the very front. The back seat has awesome drops and high forces in the loops, while the front has ejector air coming up the hills.

2) If you hear banjo music, run!

Edit: If your parents have a problem with paying for 2 nights in a hotel, try this place:

http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_map.aspx?num=4111

We stayed here when we went to SFOG. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's newer and is very clean with modern fixtures. Definitely one of the nicer budget hotels I've stayed in.

Given I have the possibility to go all day friday, what should I expect the crowds to be like? I'd love to go to Goliath first, but I know they have rides like Superman that have a lower capacity. If schools are out when you come... any other day than Sat or Sunday would be best.

I've heard a little bit about the locker policies, but my mom wouldn't be riding the big coasters: but where would they be strict about things in cargo pockets Things in pockets okay

Where's the best/cheapest place to eat? We normally bring food...

I know about Acrophobia as the highlight flat ride; but what else do they have? Indoor scrambler.... enterprise... not many... mostly children's...

Where are the best places to sit on the coasters? Do not sit in the back of cyclone, scream machine, or mine train. Front back on everything else would be great.

Oh, and who wants to meet up? Possibly... let us know your actual date...

-J "Thanks in advanced for the info" Z

[/i][/b]

Thanks for the advice to far, guys.

Does SFOG have a skyride/chair lift? I love those They do, but 2 weeks ago it wasn't running and the last time I visited a few years ago it wasn't running. I don't know if they are preparing to close it or not.

Two weeks ago was my first ride on Goliath. The front is awesome, I didn't get to ride in the back, but I heard it is better. I noticed the trim coming into the park and thought "oh no".... you can feel the trim, but the next hill is pretty intense with some air time.... so it didn't really hurt the ride....

I would be at the gate early if possible, last year we were able to get into the park and ride Goliath twice before the park was actually scheduled to open. I agree I would head for Goliath first, then swing around to Superman. Then hit GASM if you like woodies, Ninja if you must, I would probably head towards Gotham City then and ride Mindbender, then Batman, then Georgia Scorcher, Georgia Cyclone, Acrophobia, Mine Train. If you are just wanting credits, you can then ride the Canyon Blaster then head for the Monster Plantation near there.

Don't Miss(in order IMO): Goliath, Mindbender, Georgia Scorcher, GASM, Superman, Acrophobia, Monster Plantation, Mine Train

Hope you enjoy your trip to SFOG, and I hope my tips help.

Yeah, I'm not a 'ONG, I need that credit!!!" guy. If I had the chance to ride Goliath instead of getting on the mine train...I'd take the Goliath ride. It may not make sense to some, but I know I'm a credit disgrace! Oh and Robb, I did get that Aussie Reptar credit!

That doesn't meen I'm not going to hit up the mine train...I like those! I meant like a kiddie credit or something, now that my brothers are older and don't go near those.

Ahh, SFOG. Headed down there sometime in June, hopefully.

IMO, the back car is recommended for most of the coasters!

Here's why:

Georgia Cyclone: You get a nice whip effect on the 1st drop, and CRAZY ejector air on the 4th drop!

Georgia Scorcher: Has good airtime on the first drop. It's a little weird, but it's awesome!

Dehlonega Mine Train: It's just more enjoyable.

Canyon Blaster: Get some nice g's around the turns and drops.

Superman: doesn't really matter, Just ride as soon as possible before it gets a huge crowd.

GASM: Nice floater air on all the hills and drops. Avoid the very back seat.

Ninja: Most enjoyable and least painful on 1st bench of back car.

Batman: I'll make an exeption for this coaster. Go for the front! The back is too intense g wise.

Mind Bender: This is a g-force machine! You get the most of airtime, laterals, AND positive g's in the back. It's amazing!

Goliath: back recommended for the 1st drop. My stomach goes bye-bye on that drop in the back every time!

As far as flat rides go, I definitely recommend Acrophobia, and Gotham City Crime Wave!

SFOG is the best park in the six flags chain scenery wise. There are several shady areas in the park to just chill in, so while your there, don't rush to get on all the rides. Take time to just enjoy the park itself, too.

I hope you have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

It's still up in the air on when we're going to go. Sounds like we'll be going up for 1/2 a day on friday the 6th? Gas costs are the only thing holding us back. We come down in a Mercury Mountaineer.

-JZ

SFOG is my home park and IMHO it is one of the best of the SF chain. I would say that you would be ok for a Friday, but you may not get to hit everything. The definites are Goliath, Mindbender, Superman, Georgia Scorcher, and GASM, in that order. Unless you need/want the credits, Ninja and GA Cyclone are terrible. Mine Train, Canyon Blaster and Batman are fun, but not neccesary.

The best seats on all of the definites is definitely the back. If you manage to get two rides on Goliath, try the front too. Honestly, anywhere you sit on Goliath is amazing though. It has the most airtime of any coaster I have been on and out of the 80 or so coasters I've ridden, it is still my favorite. On the first day of this season my coaster buddy and I rode it 15 times in a row without even getting out of our seats!

If there is a big crowd, I would get a flash pass. As far as flats, I am ashamed to say that my park doesn't have many good ones. I don't do drop rides, but have heard that Acrophobia is the best one. Other than that, the Wheelie is ok, Monster plantation is really hokie, but fun and shake, rattle and roll is just a scrambler in the dark. I would hit all the coasters you want first though before doing any flats.

If I was off of work, I would come hang out for sure, but unfortunately the responsible adult in me has to work. I hope you have fun!

Well, from what I hear, I'm going to be paying for the flash pass. It looks like it will be worth the 20-25$, I forget what the website said. So with the flashpass, what would the usual wait times be? Max of 15, lowest a walk on?

-JZ

Bump.

It's still up in the air on when we're going to go. Sounds like we'll be going up for 1/2 a day on friday the 6th? Gas costs are the only thing holding us back. We come down in a Mercury Mountaineer.

-JZ

If you are only going to stay a half day, you will have to get a Qbot, maybe even the Gold Q-bot if you want to get most of the credits in. I found that in the summer the wait time for the popular coasters are at least 60 minutes. Superman may even take longer. With a normal Qbot bot you have to wait the full 60 minutes to get on the ride (Just not in line). With the Gold Qbot you will wait around 10-15 minutes before you can ride (a lot of times less if the wait time is under 60 minutes)...and some of that time is while you are riding the previous coaster.

Gas costs are the only thing holding us back. We come down in a Mercury Mountaineer.

So an extra 83 miles on the detour through Atlanta is holding you back? Whats that, 5 gallons of gas or at most $20? I mean let's be realistic, that's not a very big deal