TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I like Voyage and 305 better, but Skyrush is still my #3 steel coaster out of almost 300. 305 is #2 on my steel list, and Voyage is somewhere in the stratosphere as #1 overall. Skyrush could be a little bit longer, and that's my only real criticism of the ride. The airtime was something I've never experienced before, not on Voyage, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Bizarro, Magnum, anything.

The airtime was something I've never experienced before, not on Voyage, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Bizarro, Magnum, anything.

By chance, have you been on Cyclops?

I have, plus all of those others. SkyRush's airtime is still completely and utterly more insane even after all of those coasters.

-Jake "I-305 is still better" Garbels

I'm just wondering what you guys think - do you think it's "air time" when you never actually leave the seat (because you are stapled to it)?

When El Toro opened, I remember the park referenced the ride as having extreme "uplift forces."

I've been able to get some true air time on Millennium Force and Superman (now Bizarro) at Six Flags New England, but what I experienced on I-305 I would describe as a "struggling yet persistent uplift force." It's a completely different feeling to me.

Cyclops has the craziest 2 moments of air time I have ever experienced, next to a 1989 Timberwolf and Texas Cyclone.

Another Wisconsin coaster, Zippin Pippin, has that 2nd to last speed bump from hell. It left seat belt bruises on my thighs (in the 3rd seat, of course.)

I'm just wondering what you guys think - do you think it's "air time" when you never actually leave the seat (because you are stapled to it)?

Like every steel coaster of the last 10 years? Yes they have airtime. I think the distinction would be pedantry.

I guess I have time to watch this, but hoping they don't trim Skyrush and just figure out a solution to the restraint. Was tentatively planning on going at the end of September.

And I know it's a totally different restraint, but me friend who is thinner and 1-2" taller than me, has the Maverick restraint dig down into his legs over the course of the ride and it kills him. YET it doesn't bother me one bit and never comes down onto my thighs. Must be since my belly prevents some of the downforce force.

Didn't know if this would be the same issue for Skyrush

I guess I have time to watch this, but hoping they don't trim Skyrush and just figure out a solution to the restraint. Was tentatively planning on going at the end of September.

And I know it's a totally different restraint, but me friend who is thinner and 1-2" taller than me, has the Maverick restraint dig down into his legs over the course of the ride and it kills him. YET it doesn't bother me one bit and never comes down onto my thighs. Must be since my belly prevents some of the downforce force.

Didn't know if this would be the same issue for Skyrush

It has already been said that the park stated they have no desire to trim it.

I rode Sky Rush first thing again this morning just a little past 10. They're still running just 1 train, and the same is true for the past 2 days with StormRunner. I was last row left inside and didn't hate the ride. I guess I'm not a big fan of new Intamin's, and this fits that statement. That will be my last Sky Rush comment. I guess I should cut some cheese to go with my whine.

I'm sorry for not back reading, but what exactly do you not like about the ride?

Steve, I'm not a fan. I've ridden it 10 times in the past several weeks, and this last ride yesterday was the best. I keep riding it to try to like it. I find it rough for a ride less than a month old. I guess it boils down to the fact that I'm not a fan of the new Intamin coasters. I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, I do like many other Intamin rides. I don't mind Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa since it's slower and not painful. I find SR more vertically rough. The outside seats are really amplified by the "springboard effect." I'm always a single rider so most of the time, I'm stuck on the outside.

I love to ride with my arms up in the air, and I rode SR that way. I normally love having my body tossed around and abused by the ride, but this one isn't enjoyable for me. I love Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and even Storm Runner at the park. I can do and have done 15 - 30 reps on Lightning Racer a day. I only ride the Lightning side.

That's just my opinion, I know others love it. I won't be clogging up the queue line for this one.

It has already been said that the park stated they have no desire to trim it.

Desire doesn't always win out in the end though. They will surely try everything they can before it comes down to that but I wouldn't completely rule that option out. We still don't really know how hard Hersheypark is looking into changing anything though. Everything that has been reported about potential modifications to the lapbars has been third party information, right?

^Third-party information on the restraint modifications I think - someone said that there were Intamin reps out in the park a few weeks ago, IIRC.

Seems like the obvious changes to be made are to the lapbars - there aren't any unbearable forces or stresses being placed on riders or on the trains. The problem lies with the point of contact between the restraints and riders' thighs, and I'm sure both Hershey and Intamin know about the problem and are (hopefully) working on a solution.

I like Voyage and 305 better, but Skyrush is still my #3 steel coaster out of almost 300. 305 is #2 on my steel list, and Voyage is somewhere in the stratosphere as #1 overall. Skyrush could be a little bit longer, and that's my only real criticism of the ride. The airtime was something I've never experienced before, not on Voyage, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Bizarro, Magnum, anything.

I pretty much agree, Skyrush will probably be somwhere between 2 and 4 for me. I305 is about 4 for me now. Voyage is also my undisputed number 1 wood, and still easily my number 1 overall.

After my second ride on Skyrush, I actually easily ranked it above I305. It took until later that day for me to consider that it was even better than El Toro and Maverick (now 2 and 3), but my last ride at night in the back-left wing was the most insane thing I've ever experienced. Number one ride, thigh pain and all!

Steve, I'm not a fan. I've ridden it 10 times in the past several weeks, and this last ride yesterday was the best. I keep riding it to try to like it. I find it rough for a ride less than a month old. I guess it boils down to the fact that I'm not a fan of the new Intamin coasters. I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, I do like many other Intamin rides. I don't mind Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa since it's slower and not painful. I find SR more vertically rough. The outside seats are really amplified by the "springboard effect." I'm always a single rider so most of the time, I'm stuck on the outside.

I love to ride with my arms up in the air, and I rode SR that way. I normally love having my body tossed around and abused by the ride, but this one isn't enjoyable for me. I love Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and even Storm Runner at the park. I can do and have done 15 - 30 reps on Lightning Racer a day. I only ride the Lightning side.

That's just my opinion, I know others love it. I won't be clogging up the queue line for this one.

I'm with you on the quick change of directions on the newer Intamins (or QDCs as someone so elegantly coined it on the TPR Facebook Page awhile back). Just not a fan of them. Although, overall I really enjoyed Maverick, I could do without those transitions.

About modifying Skyrush.... I could easily see Hersheypark trimming Skyrush, it is a family park after all and not known for thrills as extreme as Skyrush. Plus, it is a short ride so slowing probably won't prevent it from making it through the course to he final brake run. If they don't change the restraints, or even if they do, I predict a trim brake somewhere at the bottom of the first drop or at the rise to the 2nd hill. As much as I'd hate to see it, and I hope I'm wrong, I think it might become reality.

I305 got modified several times, so I wounldn't be surprised if Skyrush did as well.

...it is a family park after all and not known for thrills as extreme as Skyrush.

I don't think Storm Runner counts as a very family-friendly ride. I wouldn't even give Fahrenheit or Great Bear credit for being appropriate in a "family park." Those rides offer some high thrills - sure, not as high as Skyrush, but that goes for any park that puts in a ride like that.

A bunch of pessimists, all of you!

I don't understand why they would even need to trim the ride. The problem is not in the ride layout!

In my opinion, a great short-term fix would be to increase the upward (clockwise?) resistance of the restraint system (make them more difficult to pull down). That seems to be the problem; even if you're not stapled in the station, the restraint isn't able to resist its own multiplied weight at the bottom of the first hill and is in turn forced downward as far as humanely possible.

I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds.

I'm hoping since I'm a CCI/Gravity Group & Intamin fan, all of this won't be an issue for me. I love the first drop in Maverick, it's so uttterly over the top. The only problem I have with the quick transitions on Maverick is the headbanging, otherwise, bring it on

And why didn't Hershey or Intamin notice this issue in testing or understand simple physics, that this contact point would be an issue with this much downward force going on ?

Since it looks like my original question got overlooked by a debate:

I'm going to Hershey for the first time this weekend, will be there tomorrow night for a few hours and then all day Saturday. What are somethings that I must do, aside from the coasters. I'm looking to have a general all around good time. Any suggestions would be great.

Since it looks like my original question got overlooked by a debate:

I'm going to Hershey for the first time this weekend, will be there tomorrow night for a few hours and then all day Saturday. What are somethings that I must do, aside from the coasters. I'm looking to have a general all around good time. Any suggestions would be great.

I found the Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge to be a very entertaining ride. It was very fun all around. Tidal Force is another ride I enjoyed that gets you soaked! Aside from those 2 rides, I only rode coasters, but the coasters I highly recommend are Storm Runner, Lightning Racer, and the Great Bear.