TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pretty much where the Whizzer stood, surrounding the Pictorium building and over behind the Sky Coaster and the splash flume. The first drop was to wrap around the park's signature Star Tower. I'm assuming the layout and everything's going to be the same, just perhaps some measures to be taken to keep the noise from breaking the peak noise level.

Further reading the minutes, it looks like our favorite CGA neighbors were there (Prudential). Since it was approved, I can assume Prudential won't step in the way again. By reading everything, it looks like the park may finally be seeing that green light to get things rolling with the project. Anyone else read the minutes?

I know this is jumping the gun as nothing is technically made official, but I've been wondering what its name could be. Thinking about what I read a while back on some random news site, I recalled something about the ride's name being "Stampede" or something along the lines of "Santa Clara Stampede" referencing the city/the park's hometown (sounds like a local youth sport's team to me), as the ride will be situated in Hometown Square (for you old-school GA folk). Tacking on the city's name however sounds cheesy. Stampede by itself sounds cool as that's what a wood coaster sounds like.

...down ... from So Cal...

I didn't mean coming down that way, I meant it more like going there.

I know, I just didn't want to pass up an opportunity for a good ribbing I never really understood the expression, yet I say it all the time anyway.

Yea, I always get my cousin on that also...

"Remember that time when we went up to Six Flags Magic Mountain?"

Me: "Up?"

Cousin: "Well, you know what I mean!"

Yea, I'm pretty excited now that I think the hard part is done, the architectural review. Anyone in the know of city planning and permits, what typically happens after an architectural review anyway?

Edit: To answer my own question, according to the Santa Clara website, it says this:

Architectural Review Process

The Architectural Review process is the responsibility of the Architectural Committee or Zoning Administrator, as designated. The Architectural Committee is comprised of one City Council Member and two Planning Commissioners or their alternates. The Committee reviews plans and drawings submitted for architectural review for design, aesthetic considerations, and consistency with zoning standards, generally prior to submittal for Building Permits. The Architectural Committee may require the applicant or owner of any such proposed development to modify buildings, parking areas, landscaping, signs, and other facilities and improvements as conditions of approval. No permit shall be issued, and no structure, building, or sign shall be constructed or used in any case until such plans and drawings have been approved by the Architectural Committee.

So looks like all that needs to be done is to get the building permits and get this project rolling!

And it was kind of funny reading the minutes because here you have something as massive as a coaster being discussed, then you have some household stuff being done...kind of like the 2 extremes.

Alrighty, before we get too excited....

An appeal has been made, courtesy of Prudential...

Appeal of March 28, 2012 Architectural Committee action received from

McKenna Long & Aldridge on behalf of Prudential

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2012-09049

Really, couldn't they save themselves a headache and relocate their business so they aren't next to a place that will obviously be noisy? So I wonder what the next pothole will be in the road.

Alrighty, before we get too excited....

An appeal has been made, courtesy of Prudential...

Appeal of March 28, 2012 Architectural Committee action received from

McKenna Long & Aldridge on behalf of Prudential

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2012-09049

Really, couldn't they save themselves a headache and relocate their business so they aren't next to a place that will obviously be noisy? So I wonder what the next pothole will be in the road.

I'm really getting annoyed by these morons. Seriously, I really don't understand why someone would build office buildings right next to a theme park. I just wish that it was still Great America's land, but oh well.

An appeal for what? Wasn't all this settled already and basically they said "screw you prudential".......this figures, always gotta cause problems. The once and for all answer to the alleged prudential noise issue is a giant ugly sound wall they get to stare at everyday. What's better you prudential idiots.... some noise and a nice view or quiet and an ugly wall? Guess what, you get the ugly wall!

States really need to enact some "I was here first" laws. Ones that say you chose to build beside a noisy theme park, don't come crying to us. Busch Gardens Europe has the same problems. They can't build wood coasters because some people build houses right outside the park boundaries and complain even about the steel coasters when they go to build one.

What more does Prudential want anyway? Efforts are being made to keep noise in control and not pass that 70db or whatever the limit is. Playing some anagrams here, one of the first words to come out from Prudential would happen to be 'turd.' Very fitting if you ask me. I'm now curious to see how this is going to pan out, whether if the coaster will get nerf'd, or if the City of Santa Clara will basically give them the bird, turn down their appeal, and tell them the project is going to continue - what's done is done.

Looking at the minutes, there were 2 addresses mentioned: one being the offices where Namco Bandai lives, right next to the coaster site (has a parking garage distancing the offices away from the site) and the other address in the 2 Yahoo buildings further down the road, by Grizzly. Prudential owns these two buildings.

If Prudential feels so high and mighty, why don't they build themselves that ugly soundwall, since they chose to have those buildings in the first place. What a disgrace to Californians/Americans...people will cry and whine until they get their way these days. Random note of unlikeliness: perhaps someone should loop the 2012 CGA "Screams" commercial over both building's PA systems...that will then be something worthy of compaining about!

Dear City of Santa Clara,

Please put these Prudential idiots in their place and deny their appeal, so we will able to get our coaster built and scream FU at the top of our lungs right before the initial first drop, thanks

Forever Grateful CGA Fan.