TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Anybody see this?? The 49ers thinking of sharing a stadium like the NY Giants and Jets did for 1.6Billion?

The San Francisco 49ers on Friday acknowledged that the battered economy likely will slow down their plans to build a new stadium in Santa Clara and now has them willing to discuss a once unthinkable option — sharing a new home with their cross-bay rival, the Raiders.

Combining resources with the Oakland Raiders — as the New York Jets and Giants have done on a new $1.6 billion stadium — may be the only way for the 49ers to overcome frozen financial markets to fund a new stadium, NFL insiders and sports economists say.

Team officials said Friday that they remain focused on starting construction of a new $854 million stadium in 2010, but acknowledged the economy and other factors "are making hitting our target more difficult." While there are no immediate plans to join forces with the Raiders, the 49ers would be willing to discuss sharing a stadium "if a workable option emerges."

Given the disruption of the bond markets and the 49ers' continuing impasse with the Ohio company that controls the land where the 68,000-seat stadium would be built, the team's plan to begin construction next year for a 2012 opening is almost certainly defunct, sources said. Santa Clara Mayor Patricia Mahan said the recession could force Santa Clara to pare back its financial investment of up to $136 million in redevelopment money in the project.

Find the rest of the artical here Click here

Wouldn't get my hopes up.. but one can only wish

At least those 49ers aren't taking over CGA. Now CF has full power to turn CGA into a SFMM. I'm anxious to find out what will be new at CGA this year. I'm hoping it's not yet another show. I know it's going to be announced next week but what day? Wheels Rollin hmmm. Can't figure out what it could possibly be!

That's great news... we don't need another stadium around here anyway. Sharing a stadium would be good for everybody plus that particular one is easy to get to and easy to leave from. Maybe now CF can consider expanding the park like they mentioned when this whole thing started. Screw you bitchy neighbors and 49ers!

Its good to hear the 49ers are looking elsewhere and to be honest, a joint stadium could be a really good idea considering the available sites along the east bay. The Santa Clara site always felt like it was just a playing card the 49ers were using to try to get SF to give them money and a site near AT&T park.

As for CGA, new flat rides are always a good addition to a park (SFMM take note) or given the economy, get the 2010 plans sorted and start promoting the heck out of next year's addition(s).

"Finally, several parks will debut a variety of exciting live shows, including a brand-new ice-skating show at Dorney Park, and the expansion of the “All Wheels Extreme” stunt show, featuring BMX-style bikers, skateboarders, gymnasts and in-line skaters, to several properties." According to Cedar Fair's website, this is what I found. It didn't list anything for CGA except this. GURR. Come on CF! CGA doesn't need anymore shows! It needs RIDES ESPECIALLY ROLLER COASTERS! So yet another new show & that's it. BORING!!! WHY DOES CGA keep getting ignored! We may never see a record breaker ride. All CF cares about is its star park CP.

I could care less about the record-breaking coasters...imo, they're just there for the record, a big gimmick.

Imo.. CGA needs a Gimmick to keep the park alive. CF came through with that woodie but I think it was to get an upper hand with the whole 49ers stadium speal.

If the 49ers and Raiders make a deal and build a joint stadium together, that would leave a lot of room for CF to do SOMETHING with the park.

Given the predictable summer weather in Santa Clara, the show probably doesn't need to fit indoors at all.

I haven't checked out the show at Cedar Point... but isn't it at the old Oceana... which is basically an outdoor venue? Do they just cancel shows when it rains?

I don't think anybody should get their hopes up for any type of "record breaking" coaster. Due to the location of the park near the San Jose Airport, they have severe height restrictions over most of the park. As far as I know, the location for Drop Zone was picked because that was one of the only spots the park could put a ride in of that height.

CGA needs a new coaster in the next couple years, but Cedar Fair should not try to turn the park into the next SFMM. As for a list of possible projects/locations that I would like to see something happen...

1) Call in one of the companies to reprofile/retrack/demolish everything on the park side of the lift hill and first half of the first turn-around of grizzly and turn it into a "new coaster" (and get rid of the Morgan trains). As I mentioned, this should get rid of most of the problems the park has with neighbors complaining about the noise of a "new" coaster because they already have to deal with Grizzly in its current form and would probably give the park a lot of freedom on what the rest of the coaster should do.

2) If they want to remove something, remove Vortex and maybe the motion theater and use the available space for a new coaster and a random flat ride or two. They don't have to be themed, but nice landscaping or new buildings that the coaster is built over/under/through would keep it from being a void in the center of the park. Custom Intamin mini-hyper could work. After looking at an arial photo of the park, the still empty strip of land that used to hold Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning could fit a long skinny coaster run with a turn-around behind the CGA Theater.

3) Expand into the parking lot near Top Gun with a new coaster. Even a clone of the new Intamin Mini-Hyper that is making the rounds in Asia would be a good fit. Just don't pull a SFMM and just place footers in the parking lot. I guess this would require removing/relocating the Picnic Pavilion so this might be more of a long term expansion if Cedar Fair wanted to do it.

^ Yay misguided anger. It is not Cedar Fair's fault CGA isnt getting an awesome coaster. If Cedar Fair had it their way, there would be an awesome GCI wooden coaster going up right now. The people that screwed this up are Prudential (who owns that office building) and the Santa Clara board. I am absolutely sick of people or companies that buy property next to an amusement park (or airport, or anything for that matter) and then complain about the noise. If you didn't want to hear people screaming on a roller coaster, why buy the property. CGA was there first, so Prudential really needs to just STFU.

Hopefully they spruce up the Redwood Ampitheater by giving it some new paint and fixing up the seats because that place needs a makeover.

^^Don't forget that when the park was Marriott's, they were known for their shows, so it's nice to be getting back to the parks original "roots". It's also nice them getting more use out of that theater since last year it was only used for the cheerleading competition and a few other concerts.

As for the new coaster, now that the park has some more time to talk to Prudential next door about the noise issue; even though they brought in a third party noise study and they said it would not cause a problem.

^ Yay misguided anger. It is not Cedar Fair's fault CGA isnt getting an awesome coaster. If Cedar Fair had it their way, there would be an awesome GCI wooden coaster going up right now. The people that screwed this up are Prudential (who owns that office building) and the Santa Clara board. I am absolutely sick of people or companies that buy property next to an amusement park (or airport, or anything for that matter) and then complain about the noise. If you didn't want to hear people screaming on a roller coaster, why buy the property. CGA was there first, so Prudential really needs to just STFU.

I could not agree with you more.