TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Thanks, all, for the input! I shall do my best to convince the folks to head for the park on our possible-but-let's-hope-it-actually-happens theme park excursion next year.

As far as Carowinds as a park, it isn't the greatest park in the world but it definitely has some great rides. Afterburn and Intimidator are their best rides. The others may be a little lack luster but it is worth the trip if you are looking for the credits. I think that our park (SFOG) is a much better park but that is just my opinion. Others may disagree.

I don't think any park around here can compare to the glory that is SFOG, really. Seriously considering a season pass for 2013 even if we only manage to make it twice, which would be a stretch given work scheduling but something I definitely want to do. I just figured that Carowinds would be a great place to up my coaster count, have some fun at a new park on exciting new (for me at least) coasters, and get photos standing on the state line as I have never been to South Carolina!

Carowinds is certainly worth visiting, especially if you've never been there. But I don't believe they have weekday operations in September.

Aw. Well we might have to schedule the trip a little earlier then, because amusement parks on hot Southern weekends tend to be... sweaty. Hordes of sweaty people, in fact.

Carowinds is a nice park with one of the best B&M inverts (Afterburn). I'd say it's worth a visit if you're in the area.

Sounds good! I'm game

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't care what Carowinds built in 2010. That was 3 years ago and since then we have got complete crap. I think one could argue the park has actually gone down hill in the last 3 years. In 2011 we got the Starlight Spectacular which was nice for the kids and all. Then in 2012 we get Windseeker which was closed most of the year. Now your taking out one of the most classic rides in the park to give us Dinos alive. That won't last more then 5 years and this is what we get for our big #40? Really most of the people down here in Charlotte agree we would rather have NOTHING. I am kinda blowing up here but come on! 2014 better be a good freaking year

Really most of the people down here in Charlotte agree we would rather have NOTHING.

1 - I don't think this statement is true. But I haven't seen the results of a scientific study.

2 - Cedar Fair and Carowinds don't care what most of the people in Charlotte think, they care about the people they spend money in the parks want, and that is families.

3 - Kids like Dinosaurs!

All I'm saying is that a light show (a pretty lame one if you have ever seen it), a ride that is closed for most of it's debut year and dinosaurs over a span of 3 years is not anything to be happy about. I get taking a year or two off after Intimidator but this is year 3 and although I'm really hoping 2014 will be a good year, there has been no talk at all about any thrill rides. Sorry but this is a rant that is a long time coming. I am not fighting what you've said, yes kids like the dinos and I did exaggerate I'm sure there are people very excited about getting them but you would have a hard time finding anyone remotely excited about it above the age of 7, which is nice for the kiddies but the Dinos will most likely be gone before the current generation of kids can even outgrow them. 5 years tops I say

^ Cedar Fair is not really neglecting you from any new major attractions. Valleyfair hasn't had a major coaster since 2007. Michigans Adventure hasn't had a new coaster since 1999 (Thunderhawk is a relocated SLC, plus that was 2008). Sure Dinosaurs Alive isn't exactly thrilling, but families, especially kids, love Dinosaurs. 2014-2015 could be a big year for Kings Island, Carowinds, and maybe Kings Dominion. Just keep watching those rumors

All I'm saying is that a light show (a pretty lame one if you have ever seen it), a ride that is closed for most of it's debut year and dinosaurs over a span of 3 years is not anything to be happy about. I get taking a year or two off after Intimidator but this is year 3 and although I'm really hoping 2014 will be a good year, there has been no talk at all about any thrill rides. Sorry but this is a rant that is a long time coming. I am not fighting what you've said, yes kids like the dinos and I did exaggerate I'm sure there are people very excited about getting them but you would have a hard time finding anyone remotely excited about it above the age of 7, which is nice for the kiddies but the Dinos will most likely be gone before the current generation of kids can even outgrow them. 5 years tops I say

This is pretty common for Cedar Fair parks, and although Carowinds is a rather large park in the chain, it is not the biggest by far and this trend of attractions shouldn't be surprising. I mean look at Cedar Point's additions since Maverick, that was a starlight spectacular, planet snoopy, shoot the rapids, windseeker, and finally Dino's before we got Gatekeeper. There were 5 years with additions that weren't huge either with both Windseeker and Shoot the Rapids having difficulties in their opening season. Also King's Island has not had anything substantial since Diamondback, which is now 4 years without having anything major, King's Dominion is in the same boat as Carowinds as well. I mean at least Carowinds isn't Valleyfair which has had to wait since 2007, or CGA who is well deserved to get their first new coaster in a decade. This isn't supposed to be rude, but Carowinds got a good boomerang, and a big B&M hyper, the park is probably good for a couple more years. Especially with Windseeker being marketed as a "thrill ride."

• 2 weeks later...

I just happen to be in CLT for opening day this year and have never been to the park. I am looking for a good plan of attack. I will be there at opening so I want to hit the slow moving long lines first. Any good advice? I am alone but still want to hit their Woodstock Express to compare it with KI. Also credit whore Flying Ace even though it is the same. I don't want to waste time in line for those though. I don't mind long lines as long as they keep moving. Also I would not oppose to meeting up with one of you all for a little while if anyone is going on opening Friday.

Thanks for any input. I also read the park guide in the park index on this site.

^The park map on their website sucks but it looks like your list is a nice counter clockwise rotation. Would it be smart to hit Woodstock Express after Flying Ace or keep with your pattern and hit Woodstock on the way to Afterburn later in the day. I don't want to wait too long for a kiddie ride. I have read Woodstock here is really good. I know at KI it sometimes is slow because they keep measuring kids. Thanks for your list it looks good.

Are area schools off school for Good Friday? I am just wondering why opening day is a Friday and what kind of crowd to expect.

I just happen to be in CLT for opening day this year and have never been to the park. I am looking for a good plan of attack. I will be there at opening so I want to hit the slow moving long lines first. Any good advice? I am alone but still want to hit their Woodstock Express to compare it with KI. Also credit whore Flying Ace even though it is the same. I don't want to waste time in line for those though. I don't mind long lines as long as they keep moving. Also I would not oppose to meeting up with one of you all for a little while if anyone is going on opening Friday.

Thanks for any input. I also read the park guide in the park index on this site.

The only advice I would have is to hit NightHawk first, the line for that is horrendous even just before closing. Right when the park opens and the line is 5 minutes long is about the only time it's going to be worth it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the advice for going on opening day. Great advice but most of the coasters were closed for the first hour which ruined getting on Nighthawk before the line. I ended up riding Flying Ace and Aerial Chase first since they were the only ones open. The next to open was Afterburn and I made about 5 or 6 runs in the front seat without getting off.(the ride) I walked onto Carolina Cobra and finally the other rides started opening up with little to no wait. Nighthawk opened around 11 to 1130 and I waited 1:40 just after noon but was rewarded with a front side seat ride. The longest I waited for Intimidator was 20. I enjoyed the park and I assume the rides were closed because it was just below 40 at opening. I think most of the ops were very slow compared to KI and CP. Nighthawk was painful compared to Firehawk at KI. I thought Firehawk was bad until now. I will not complain anymore. Afterburn and Intimidator were very quick getting trains turned.

I enjoyed the park and I assume the rides were closed because it was just below 40 at opening.

This seems likely. Forty-two degrees is the "cutoff" temperature at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, anyway.

Carowinds is a nice park, although only Afterburn and Intimidator (mostly the former) really stand out for me.

It's Spring Break down here in the ATL and that means it's time for another family vacation to Carowinds! This year we went from 4/5/2013 until 4/7/2013. We arrived when the park opened on the 5th, and left at about 2 in the afternoon on the 7th. on the 5th and 6th, we were in the park for pretty much all of the day from open to close. There was a sign in the park that was telling about how there was a chorus and orchestra "festival" going on between now and the end of May. There were quite a few kids there on Saturday and Sunday that were part of a school or chorus/orchestra trip. That bogged down the rides and clogged the ques. Thunder Road was racing! I think something was going on and they weren't racing, but they were racing them on Saturday and Sunday. Every other day I had gone, they only opened one side with 2 trains, but on these two days, both sides were open with 2 trains each. On the days they were racing, the station was full of the light blue shirt supervisors. Some were shadowing the ride ops checking restraints, and at times they would take over and dispatch a few trains. The other thing I noticed was that they were VERY strict on the rules at Thunder Road. When both trains would go up the lift, two ride ops and most of the time, a few supervisors, would watch from the station as the trains went up the lift. Anyone breaking the rules were reprimanded when they returned to the station. The supervisors seemed very reluctant at first to race the trains on Saturday. I'm sure something was up before.

Wait Times

Friday, April 5th, 2013

Intimidator- 45 minutes

AfterBurn- 35 minutes

Nighthawk- 3 hours

Thunder Road- 10 minutes

Carolina Gold Rusher- 20 minutes (opened around 1:30)

Carolina Cyclone- 5 minutes

Hurler- DLed all day

Carolina Cobra- 20 minutes

Vortex- 25 minutes

Ricochet- 20 minutes

Saturday, April 6th, 2013

Intimidator- 1.5 hours

AfterBurn- 2 hours

Nighthawk- 3.5 hours

Thunder Road- 5 minutes (both sides open)

Carolina Gold Rusher- 45 minutes

Carolina Cyclone- 30 minutes

Hurler- 1 hour

Carolina Cobra- 1.5 hours

Vortex- 2.5 hours

Ricochet- 45 minutes

Sunday, April 7th, 2013

Intimidator- 10 minutes

AfterBurn- Walk-on

Nighthawk- 2 hours

Thunder Road- 5 minutes

Carolina Gold Rusher- 15 minutes

Carolina Cyclone- 5 minutes

Hurler- 15 minutes

Carolina Cobra- 10 minutes

Vortex- 30 minutes

Ricochet- 15 minutes

*These were the wait times for most of the day, they seemed fairly consistent, except for the times around when they opened and when they closed.

DSCF7094.thumb.jpg.5f4723e302598cca840c1b9ece79a1df.jpg

Intimidator still looks vibrant and new, it did have a few short breakdowns, but nothing major.

2082558468_IMG_12741.thumb.jpg.71a717b3531838cb96afc7898e9a539e.jpg

No funcionado hoy! Yeah, it was busted all three days.

DSCF7039.thumb.jpg.a981c64357299a7ecf48c1c180d08214.jpg

This guy was out front. He looked pretty angry, probably because they didn't let him inside with the other dinosaurs. Imagine him doing push-ups!

DSCF7068.thumb.jpg.ee2864f19163d68aa17712a6cf57a832.jpg

Do you see that plane? Next time we go, I'm going to hop inside and fly away!

DSCF7108.thumb.jpg.4cb5d3cbaa282c22f34f8466ebc45a71.jpg

The money munchers and the trash munchers live in harmony.

DSCF7127.thumb.jpg.45635b089d2086fd381a596833857854.jpg

There was some nice theming in this area.

DSCF7143.thumb.jpg.dbb921e72dea6f37c1ba2b45b3fc6c55.jpg

I think I remember there being more North/South Carolina Carowinds posts here.

DSCF7151.thumb.jpg.1053ac1e7b0b3c4db40fc317f25b46b5.jpg

There weren't very many funny reactions on Hurler.

DSCF7157.thumb.jpg.f385b0595271bcecaf72eb7e7b6be6c0.jpg

They had this place which sold fresh fruit, bottled water, and of course, Coke. Don't mind the guy in the grey or the little girl.

DSCF7190.thumb.jpg.6d6a4ed0eef29d12e0919745099d758b.jpg

Two stations, full and open for business!

DSCF7173.thumb.jpg.0fe6d2a2074e2a16f7209687d07d218f.jpg

Vortex was still running well. It does suffer from some roughness, but it's not too bad.

DSCF7174.thumb.jpg.fe5b6b40e35bcf8048f920654dbde223.jpg

This is the entrance to where they put the guests that don't follow the rules and bring loose articles on the rides. There were a ton of people bringing stuff on the ride, so I imagine this place was nearly full.

DSCF7172.thumb.jpg.035196228915bb46a1a3c6a83962f6f4.jpg

Through those people in the foreground, was the 1.5 hour wait for Intimidator, coming out of the que, on Saturday.

Capture123rwe.PNG.665b5918f8c03998fc1db8515b9ae25d.PNG

These guys were pretty funny.

DSCF7125.thumb.jpg.65192dcc145d993974401e15583a5106.jpg

I seriously do hope these people enjoyed the ride, it was an insane wait to get on it.

DSCF7203.thumb.jpg.a50ff5ff2bb85abba46e4eb702721b60.jpg

Welcome to the South, the only place you can buy racing fuel from the same pump you buy you're regular car's gas from. This was at the Marathon right outside the park.