77 members have voted

1. 1. SFDK or CGA

• SFDK
    • CGA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have to realize that SFDK was originally built as an animal park. That's why the layout isn't similar to any of the other parks around. I think it's interesting that most of the complaints of SFDK are from all the PGA fanboys... just look at the votes. SFDK is a more inclusive day.

I think it's interesting that most of the complaints of SFDK are from all the PGA fanboys... just look at the votes.

It is....but the end result speaks volumes!

--Robb

Robb, speaking on the subject of SFDK, we'd love to see you guys come up and give us feedback on how we're doing. I think it was 2003 since I last saw a group from TPR at the park.

I admit I am partial to CGA...it's only 15 minutes from my house so it's my home park and I am a former employee but every season I make it a point to make the hour + drive to SFDK at least twice because it does offer different things, so I get the best of both. But, SFDK does have a bizarre layout. I always thought it would be really cool if they could build a coaster that went over the lake.

You guys have to realize that SFDK was originally built as an animal park. That's why the layout isn't similar to any of the other parks around. I think it's interesting that most of the complaints of SFDK are from all the PGA fanboys... just look at the votes. SFDK is a more inclusive day.

Don't get me wrong, SFDK is an awesome park. I'm just not into all the animals shows and such, and there are not enough rides to keep me occupied. I live 15 minutes from CGA also, but if I had kids, I would take them to SFDK in a heart beat.

I haven't been to either of them, but I would say that CGA would be the better park to go to. CGA has the Demon, Invertigo, Mouse, Flight Deck, and Vortex should be iffy. They also have Delirium, and that large Disko coaster along with an Intamin Tower. I thought they used to have that Intamin Space Shuttle there, but maybe it's themed to something else. That's a lot of good stuff it seems to me.

At SFDK, they have V2, Medusa, and a boomerang. I like boomerangs. The only interesting flat to me would that Jolly Roger type of ride that's kind of like a himilaya. I'm not positive. I don't care for Top Spins, or Frisbee's. A Top Spin is at CGA too now.

I would say CGA because I'm not really into animals, and I think the rides are better.

Robb, speaking on the subject of SFDK, we'd love to see you guys come up and give us feedback on how we're doing. I think it was 2003 since I last saw a group from TPR at the park.

We'll be up there this year for sure!

Said the SFDK employee. There's no bias at all in your opinion.

Personally, I don't really think either park is all that great. They're both average parks to me. I'll keep visiting them to get the new credits, and have never had a bad day at either park, but there is nothing at either park that wows me either.

We'll be up there this year for sure!

While your up at SFDK, you guys got to come to CGA also!

Said the SFDK employee. There's no bias at all in your opinion.

Personally, I don't really think either park is all that great. They're both average parks to me. I'll keep visiting them to get the new credits, and have never had a bad day at either park, but there is nothing at either park that wows me either.

What bias is there? I wasn't really nay-saying CGA, just annoyed how people point out faults in a park to make their favorite better. I'd say my favorite park is Holiday World, I'm not going to talk about how much I hate SFKK and how much they suck... I would rather talk about the plus side of HW.

But back on subject, SFDK has made some great improvements the past couple years and so has CGA. Really what it comes down to is how you feel. Do you want Animals, Shows and Rides in SFDK or Water Park, and more of a rides driven park in CGA

^It's obvious your biased towards SFDK because it's your home park and you work there. As I am biased towards CGA because it's my home park and I work there.

It all comes down to whether you like animals or not. If you do go to SFDK, if not go to CGA.

You're really choosing between a (somewhat crappy) water park, and an animal park. Coaster-wise, about the same, with one park having a good-but-not-amazing wooden coaster and floorless (SFDK), and the other having good-but-not-must-ride invert and drop tower (CGA).

Both of the parks aren't amazing, and I would say go to SCBB, especially if you've been on a good invert, and don't care about animals.

Full disclosure:

Haven't been to SFDK in... many years (guessing 2000... wow that was 8 years ago). Then again, the 1.5 hr drive to Vallejo vs the 10 min drive to Santa Clara or the 45 min drive to Santa Cruz might have something to do with that.

You're really choosing between a (somewhat crappy) water park, and an animal park. Coaster-wise, about the same, with one park having a good-but-not-amazing wooden coaster and floorless (SFDK), and the other having good-but-not-must-ride invert and drop tower (CGA).

Top Gun/Flight Deck "not-must-ride"? What other inverts have you ridden that are so much better. TG/FD may not be one of the longest inverts, but it is certainly very intense. And I have ridden many inverts (3 B:tR, 2 Deja Vus, Invertigo, Silver Bullet, 2 SLC's, Raptor, and Alpengeist). It's not my first choice (Alpie rules!), but it certainly deserves more credit than you gave it.

^Agreed. I've only ridden two inverts (both at CGA), but I think Top Gun is very underrated because of where it's located.

BTW, Robb and Elissa, you guys should visit CGA since I just got a job there. Perhaps I could meet you in person (of course I'd be working)!

As for me, I like all 3 of our major parks equally (SCBB, SFDK, CGA). They each have their own style, not the same thing. I just purchased CGA season passes again primarily due to how much closer I am to there (easily accessible with my time schedule) and want to see Cedar Fair's take on the park - whether if they're going to improve or kill it. And not to forget, woodie in '09! I'll probably get a pass for '09 as well to get the new credit.

Top Gun/Flight Deck "not-must-ride"? What other inverts have you ridden that are so much better. TG/FD may not be one of the longest inverts, but it is certainly very intense. And I have ridden many inverts (3 B:tR, 2 Deja Vus, Invertigo, Silver Bullet, 2 SLC's, Raptor, and Alpengeist). It's not my first choice (Alpie rules!), but it certainly deserves more credit than you gave it.

Dragons...but...

Top Gun is a great ride, well paced, fast, short, and intense, with a great lakeside location. But it just isn't something I would say "You MUST go to Great America!" for.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we just came back from about a week in the Bay area, and SFDK definitely wins in my opinion. CGA just seems small and second-tier. Of course, our first visit was on Sunday April 16 after driving about 900 miles since Friday afternoon. The water park doesn't open til Memorial Day weekend and Flight Deck was closed that first day. CGA opened again the next Friday and Flight Deck was running that day.

SFDK was open the whole two weeks March 15-30, so we were able to visit during the week. Lines were pretty short, the worst was Kong at one point taking close to an hour. Medusa, except for the front which usually had a three train wait, was pretty much a walk-on the WHOLE TIME we were there . I just love that machine. So fast, so smooth.

As for CGA, Invertigo is a pretty fun ride. The Looping Pirate ship is cool, Vortex is fun, and Flight Deck is fun but a little rough. Survivor is fun the first time. Two days and we were done.

SFDK didn't bore us in four days. The Tiger shows were cool, the Walrus was fun, V2 is fun, Kong is fun but a bit of a wait, and Hammerhead is fun. Roar is a way better coaster than the slow woodie at CGA, and the raft ride does get you WAY wetter

Did I mention MEDUSA?

^Wait a minute...Vortex is fun but Flight Deck is rough!?! I think you got it backwards. Just in case you got your coasters mixed up, Vortex is the purple and yellow stand-up, and Flight Deck is the black invert. As old as Flight Deck is (15 years), I think it's once of the best aged coasters out there.

^Wait a minute...Vortex is fun but Flight Deck is rough!?! I think you got it backwards. Just in case you got your coasters mixed up, Vortex is the purple and yellow stand-up, and Flight Deck is the black invert. As old as Flight Deck is (15 years), I think it's once of the best aged coasters out there.

I guess I use different standards with stand-ups and B&M inverts. I expected a pounding from Vortex and it was less than I feared. I expected a fast smooth ride from Flight Deck like Silver Bullet or Medusa, instead I got a rough ride like Batman at Magic Mountain. I guess I should have expected that Batman-like ride; plus, we did ride the back row.

I would have liked to ride Flight Deck again, but after riding Demon on the way out, we were in no mood to stick around.

I did really like Invertigo-it gives me high hopes for Aftershock at Silverwood.

This is ironic because I was just going to start a thread asking the same question. However, my question is a little different. I'm going in 2009, so should I still go to SFDK?

My personal opinion is if you're in the Bay area more than one day, you've got to give SFDK a try. Our original plan was CGA 3 days and SFDK 3 days. With Flight Deck out the first day and the water park closed til May and all of CGA closed midweek, we ended up spending 4 days at SFDK and 2 days at CGA.

medusa3.jpg.46732fc76629acf3dd1025de5acca678.jpg

Medusa!

medusa2.jpg.1f1c1eb9cf377959a1dafcbc567d7a56.jpg

love that....

medusa1.jpg.e63e4b95bb24c1ff823aa006a23cc2f6.jpg

I just...

invertigoride.jpg.02d935f6b29c7b438e04156625133338.jpg

Invertigo was the highlight of CGA. The first time I HAVEN"T been knocked near unconscious by a boomerang.

• 4 weeks later...

Which park is bigger? We're going first weekend in May and now Sunday is a bit abbreviated because of an obligatory 6:30pm dinner date with an ex-boss. Can we do all credits in both parks in two days in early May? So far the weather forecast is for more chill!