TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wet N' Wild Orlando

I think the best thing is for the park to close and move over to Universal Land. It can help keep people on property in the hot summer months and compete with Aquatica.

Shamu looks to have built a nice park, even though there are still rumors among employees that the wave pool was built with problems and they might have to tear it up and rebuild in the coming months prior to the soft opening. If Wet N Wild does shut down, there will be at least a year where Aquatica will be the only non Disney waterpark here in Otown up and running. With this said, WNW will have to "wow" us all to bring us back to their new/revised/moved park, but in the end, it's us who are the winners as the two companies hopefully will battle it out to better each other, offering more stuff to do!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, that's WNW best bet too if they aren't willing to step up and do something with that lease thing. Universal could do a world of good for WNW. At the same time Universal has limited space too... unless that big lake is theirs in the back of the Universal Studios???

Well just as long as a closure doesn't occur at any time during September 2008, I'll be satisfied. I haven't been there yet but on the official website, the rides look absolutely wicked and I can't wait to visit it later this year.. so if it closes, as a lot of you have said, they should move the quality attractions into the Universal parks and amp up the theming. Theming rules.

There's a page for Wet N' Wild on Universal Orlando's website: http://www.universalorlando.com/wetnwild.html

I'm pretty sure they still own the park.

That's what I thought. I never heard anything about Universal selling Wet n Wild. They own the park, not the land.

If you go to the Wet N Wild homepage it explicitly says Universal Studios Recreation Group. http://www.wetnwild.com.

Is Der Stuka the speed slide with the trap door? I remember doing something like that in 1994, that was actually scary.

I guess it would be better if they could have it on the Universal Resort property, come down to cost versus benefit.

In the old days WNW Orlando had the 3 speed slides, the middle one got removed when the Blue Niagra was added, and the drop capsule was modified onto 1 of the 2 remaining speed slides.

I still like the regular speed slide better, more fun going over the crest into the drop then the straight drop. (Really cool the first time then well…)

I also doubt WNW is going anywhere unless it is strictly cash and run decision. That land is pretty valuable and it could be possible in the big picture Universal might have a better kickback just sending guests to Aquatica. As for who still owns what, I have no clue. I had thought Universal went into a contract of purchase on just that location years back but have no idea who currently does own it.

Anyone remember a long time ago when Disney started building Typhoon Lagoon and the word was Wet N Wild could never survive?

Then Blizzard, etc. etc.

I truly doubt unless Aquatica has the craziest capacity possible this new water park will hurt Wet N Wild. If anything after the first few times of people visiting Aquatica I would expect Wet N Wild to get busier from those who get tired of being turned away due to capacity.

I do agree Wet N Wild would be far better if it was relocated to more space and designed more to compete with the more current image/style of Orlando attractions.

Well just as long as a closure doesn't occur at any time during September 2008, I'll be satisfied. I haven't been there yet but on the official website, the rides look absolutely wicked and I can't wait to visit it later this year.. so if it closes, as a lot of you have said, they should move the quality attractions into the Universal parks and amp up the theming. Theming rules.

You'll have fun! I went in near the end of July in 07 and lines were not too long, weather was nice, and I had a great time. I had one of the "personal pan" type pizzas from WNW and it was pretty good. A little more later in the day lines got a little more busy but not ridiculously busy. The only thing I was unhappy about was the new slide in 07 Brain Wash was soooo busy! I didn't even take they time to wait in the huge line! But I've seen a video of it on youtube and it looks like it would have been worth the wait. Hope you have fun though! I will try to make a visit down there again this summer too.

We are going Feb 2nd and have one day to do a waterpark, would you pick WnW or Typhoon Lagoon. Admisson seems to be the same price, but WnW seems to have cooler rides, Typhoon the better theme.

We have never been to either.

Is it really debatable?

^It is debatable, what are you into?

You're right when you say that TL has the better themeing. They also have the better wave pool (by far!) and they have a really good master blaster.

Wet n' Wild though has more rides, some interesting stuff, and a lot of overall fun stuff.

If you're more into slides than wavepools, lazy rivers, and theming, then DEFINITELY choose Wet n Wild. If you want a relaxing day on a gorgeous beach, with an amazing wave pool and lazy river, oh, and a few cool slides go for Typhoon Lagoon.

^ lol Good idea!

I also think it depends on what your more into. I wanted more thrills and newer types of slides so I chose WnW. I did notice the fact that TL had by far way better themeing and better wave pool but the only slide perk was the master blaster so I decided to choose WnW. What do you hold more important? Slides or themeing?

Elissa really summed it up well:

TL has great themeing to go along with the standard speed slide, raft slide, and body slides. It also has a great wave pool, shark reef, and a master blaster.

Wet'N'Wild is a really good "traditional" waterpark. If you want a waterpark with lots of slides but less themeing...you can't beat Wet'N'Wild.

The confusion of ownership of Wet 'N' Wild probably stems from the fact that NBC Universal jointly owns Universal Orlando with the Blackstone Group. Universal Orlando, according to the Blackstone portfolio, consists of Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure and CityWalk.

Also, the Universal Studios Recreation Group no longer exists and has been replaced by Universal Parks & Resorts which is a division of NBC Universal. If you want more complication, NBC Universal is owned by GE and Vivendi.

If Wet 'N' Wild is owned solely by Universal Parks & Resorts and not under the Universal Orlando division, it could be a dilemma of a business decision to move the waterpark onto Universal Orlando property.

Just a theory, as I could not find ownership of the park listed in either the Universal or Blackstone portfolios.

Completely agree with what has been said (Elissa and Jew). But I don't believe it is going to close because there is always people there! It is in a perfect location for tourists; and the locals, at least the younger crowd, always goes there, not to a Disney waterpark. The park itself, in my opinion, is a pretty good and fun park. I only wonder how it is going to stand up against Aquatica! That should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously doubt that WNW will ever fully close down, that place is packed constantly even in the off months. During the summer the place hits compacity nearly everyday (or at least it did about 4 years ago). It's cheaper then the Disney parks and even with Universal Entertainment owning it I seriously doubt it would shut down until USO get's their own park up and running. It's far to risky to shut it down now, not with Aquatica opening this spring.

However massive renovations are needed, I know they haven't done anything like that in at least 10 years or so when it happened one winter to re-marsite all the pools.

Besides, you don't go to WNW for the view. You go to ride, to eat, to drink beer, to picnic and have fun. If you want a view take yourself off to one of the over-priced Disney waterparks. I'm sorry but I wasn't overly impressed with them, even by disney quality I thought that River Country had more appeal then Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach but that one is currently SNBO.

Not even to go into the fact the local's would probably riot. You should have seen the *#&$ storm that happened with Water Mania shut down, it wasn't pretty.

Just my .02 cents.

Yea I also heard about the renovation to Black Hole off of Screamscape. I hope that turns out good... I've never rode because the person that went with me was to scared to ride it... so I don't know what's inside of it right now.

As far as the water park closing... I don't feel like that will happen now. I think if there is a problem with the lease then something is being worked on so that there will be no further problems... I don't see them making renovations and adding new attractions for them all to be closed within a few years.

Keep in mind that other than the fact that there is a ticking clock… everything else is just speculation right now.

For all we know the park may have another 10 years left on their lease… or they could already be in some kind of overtime extension where the fees grow higher and higher each additional year.

I honestly don't know in regards to their lease. I know before Universal Entertainment bought them out that the park the property where the park sat as well as where the parking is. I know at one point they also owned the entire lakeside but an unsure of that now.

I remember when they sold simply because as a seaworld employee at the time we all got a nice little notice saying "Guess what?! We now get into Wet'n'Wild for free cause UE bought them!" which kind of surprized me. I don't remember anykind of annoucement going out to the public or even happening in the news.

It's a lot of speculation. Who knows but it would be sad to see it disappear either way.