Lou's Year In Review: 2007

Louise

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ Generally speaking, I would prefer it didn't rain. But for somebody who isn't used to heat and despises humidity, having spent, I dunno, like 25 days or something in stupidly high temperatures? I was ready for the rain!!!!

As for Mansion, yeah, I've never experienced any of its guises in Halloween mode before, though several times I've missed out on experiencing it at all because it's been closed for the Halloween refit. I just... Maybe it's because I've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas all the way through and am just generally not a fan of Halloween anyway, but... For me, Mansion's charm has always been in its creepiness. It's not scary, but it's creepy, and dark, and I love that! With all the halloween stuff in there, it's entertaining, and bright, and so cleverly done, but loses everything that makes me love it.

I'm glad there's somebody who shares my view.

I didn't get to experience the Mansion as it should be: I hate Halloween and was slightly irritated by the Nightmare Before Christmas take on it, although I thought the outside theming and everything was incredible.
Do we share a brain, or something? I've never seen this version of it, and I certainly don't mind keeping it that way. Yes, from the pics I've seen, the theming is very well done, but there's just something that rubs me the wrong way about overhauling this classic once a year. Goths= happy about it. Me= not so much.

As surprising as it may sound, I've never seen the holiday version of Mansion either. Personally, I'd kill to see any version of Holiday, either California's or Tokyo's. I'd prefer Tokyo's to see the closest thing to FL Mansion turned all Nightmare like. Holiday just seems to be a harmonious blending of two of my favorite things in the Disney lexicon: Mansion and Nightmare Before Christmas. Jack is my namesake after all. I will say, when the idea was first announced, it was a giddy schoolboy moment of "OMG LIKZ THATZ DA BOMZ!", and I still love the idea to this day, but even I will admit it's starting to wain. Change it up a little bit. Mansion Holiday has changed from it's original form already, tweak it some more. Nothing huge, just something a little new. Don't let it wain too fast, I need to see it first!

On another note, the plus side to "overhauling this classic once a year" is that they can, and generally do, use that time to fix up and add little things to improve the ride. It gives an excuse to give the aging Mansion a check up twice a year. Right after Holiday is removed is generally when new stuff tends to appear, like new cleaned up audio and, this past year, a brand spanking new set of load and unload belts. It keeps everything looking fresh and helps it avoid breaking down every other day and being closed for 4 months during the summer for a refurbishment. *looks at WDW Mansion*

^agreed. I wouldnt mind seeing it once but it deserves its own ride.

Yes, yes it does deserve it's own ride. At Hollywood Studios. Between Mama Melrose's and the Backlot Theater. Using Amazing Adventures of Spider Man like ride technology and a Disney Digital 3-D stop motion ride film. Not to be specific or anything.

And hey, CHRIS!!!

"Happy happy happy happy Halloween, let's all celebrate!

Come and join the party like you've never seen, we can hardly wait!"

I can't remember the rest of the lyrics now. Sad

I love you, I love you so much! That song was so much fun, haha. I wish we had seen Richard, there were hundreds of people that were chosen to be in the parade.

Great photos Lou, I really like looking back on the trip!

Also, we were waiting in line for Haunted Mansion Fast Passes when you took the Splash Mountain picture, haha.

(stupid anti-climactic Dumbo, ill never forget its retardedness, haha)

Dude, don't spoil it, I have pictures from Dumbo to tell that story with on Day 3 or 4!!!

Wow! Those pictures of the parade with Nemo and Monsters Inc. amaze me. I would love to go to Disney just to see those floats

They were really cool! The pink thing you can see on Sully's back is actually an animatronic Boo with moving eyes and arm and stuff. Fun parade with a slightly annoying but ridiculously infectious song. Chris and I sang it for the rest of the trip... and Korea... and the flight home. LOL!!

"Happy happy happy happy Halloween, let's all celebrate!

Come and join the party like you've never seen, we can hardly wait!"

And don't forget the other classic tune "ONE MORE GHOST!".

I swear Falafel and I were stalked by the parade that day. Every time we turned a corner, it was playing that song! We did watch the electrical parade, which for some reason does not make me want to pull my own face off, which pretty much any other parade or park show does.

And while I can understand why it's kind of uncool to remake the Mansion, we both loved the Nightmare makeover. I think we rode it about eight times. About the same number of times for Pooh, which is the greatest thing ever. They really need to make another ride using that technology.

dt

Dude, don't spoil it, I have pictures from Dumbo to tell that story with on Day 3 or 4!!!

Wow! Those pictures of the parade with Nemo and Monsters Inc. amaze me. I would love to go to Disney just to see those floats

They were really cool! The pink thing you can see on Sully's back is actually an animatronic Boo with moving eyes and arm and stuff. Fun parade with a slightly annoying but ridiculously infectious song. Chris and I sang it for the rest of the trip... and Korea... and the flight home. LOL!!

haha, oh, I forgot that you hadn't posted about that yet. Ill call it foreshadowing, lol.

I'm on a roll! Determined to finish this... Must... keep.... updating....

Day Three at Tokyo Disney Resort: A bit of park-hopping, and an evening at Sega Joypolis!

So, as I mentioned yesterday, we had a bit of a lie-in this particular morning (til about 7.30... LOL), and then wandered over to the train station. The day before, we had discovered the Starbucks at the station, which made me VERY happy, so we stopped for coffee and breakfast before getting on the train. Nice to chill.

On arriving, we made a beeline straight to Journey. *happy sigh* You can tell I'm pleased to be there. I'm schooling Chris here in the art of self-photography, as he kept complaining about his skills. Whose fingers are those?!?!

I really shouldn't be lecturing anybody on self-portraits, I inevitably cut off half my head, but it doesn't really matter. Hey, I got all of Chris in the frame!!

You have to understand how amazing Journey is, and how excited I was making my way through the queue again...

...and how sad I was when it broke down when we were TEN FEET from the fudging "elevators". *sniff* Oh well, on the plus side, they gave us a front-of-the-line pass for any attraction, which we used on Tower later when there was a big queue there but a short one for Journey.

On our way out of the park an employee offered to snap our picture. She was great, did one with each of our cameras, framed them all differently... I love Disney, and I love that this picture is a total family holiday snapshot!!

This spinning cascading globe might be one of my favourite Disney entrance icons. There's something very cool about it, I could watch it for ages.

Hello, little tiny home country so far away!! I'm starting to miss you... only a teeny bit though.

On the monorail over to Disneyland, Chris catches up on some sleep.

Hello!!

Taking a leisurely tour around the park! The only thing I remember about this is that there was a British women behind me who looked like somebody famous, and that I was talking to ducks a lot. And this is another one of those pictures where somewhere on the site, Chuck has posted the reverse.

In line for Pirates, Chris tried on my outfit. LOL!!!! We laughed so hard at how skinny he looked in it!! Surely he should look fat in my clothes!!

And then, suddenly, it's evening and we're leaving the park! I so fail at taking regular photos.

Hi Bob. A little close maybe. Step back juuuuuust a teeny bit next time, okay?

We met up with the group at the station, Robb and Elissa grabbed our train tickets, and we were off to Joypolis!

Passing by the Fuji TV building. Funky!

"TICKET, SHINY!!"

I really didn't care too much about the coaster and neither did Richard, so we bypassed that line initially and headed right over to the Halfpipe.

Awesome guidelines. Surely an indoor amusement arcade is an ADD-sufferer's paradise?!?!

More hilarious instructions.

The halfpipe was kinda fun, but made uncomfortable by the fact that the guy moved my restraints so my feet barely touched the floor, and Aussie Richard was inexplicably too tall for the thing and had to hunch. (I say inexplicably because although this is Japan where the average height is much smaller, Richard isn't *that* tall, and other people his height had no problems. So who knows!)

The coaster on the other hand, made me want to die. Robb and others have posted pictures of the damn thing, but those restraints... It was like being inside an instrument of torture, and I got off feeling like I'd been in some kind of car wreck. I don't even remember the name of the thing or anything about it, I just know that if I ever go back to Japan, I'm skipping that one!!!!

Mmmmmm, crepes!!! These were the best crepes of the trip, hell, they were the best food of the year! I had a peaches and strawberry cream one, and a Choco Custard Creme one, which was an orgasm in a pancake.

It's hard to tell from this picture but this can is SUPERSIZED!!! Giant cans of Coke are my favourite thing ever. Mmmmm, caffeine with crepes.

Apologies for the horrifically out-of-focus picture, but this is a foot-massage machine. And God it's good. At least it was.

My feet inside said machine. I hadn't quite figured out the settings, but had changed a few things and had it so it was a totally heavenly experience. Then some Australian idiot came over and started flipping switches and suddenly the balls of my feet were trapped in a vice and I couldn't get out of the machine or find a way to turn down the settings. It hurt so badly!! Who needs enemies with friends like these!! *sniff*

After getting seriously freaked out by a 3D sound attraction and then having to sit in a smoking area for about half an hour to calm down, we headed out. I was devastated to find that Condomania was closed for the night!!

Walking back through the station for the journey home, I became jealous of Kristen's stickers! I only had one! So unfair!

Another night finished in the bar, with overpriced drinks but a cracking view.

Next up, last day at Disney! *sob*

ANOTHER update?! Glad I was sitting down, I feel faint...

Great to see more pics and hear the stories from the trip. I liked the spinning globe fountain. Big spinning rock fountains are just neat.

Choco Custard Creme one, which was an orgasm in a pancake

Great line! 2 Ducks Unlimited, mold-friendly thumbs up!

DSC00905.jpg.5fcea9a04f81c180bfcf85bdf8988685.jpg

That's just an all around great picture!

Joypolis' evil coaster is "Spin Bullet" and I think it's aptly named. After you take a 'spin' on it, you want to put a 'bullet' through your head.

I whacked my head on the bare backing of the car because my head went above the cushion so hard that I had a sore throat for 3 freaking weeks afterwards. I don't know if it's a my being tall thing or what, but that ride absolutely sucks.

-- PMM

Joypolis' evil coaster is "Spin Bullet" and I think it's aptly named. After you take a 'spin' on it, you want to put a 'bullet' through your head.

Spin Bullet, that's right. I didn't even care enough about it to spend 15 seconds looking it up on rcdb!! Accurate description there. That thing is pretty close to the bottom of my list.

Great to see more pics and hear the stories from the trip. I liked the spinning globe fountain. Big spinning rock fountains are just neat.

The spinning globe fountain is just so cool! For some reason I just really liked it as an icon.

This is pure unadulterated awesomeness Lou! I hate that we didn't hang out more at TDR...and the whole trip for that matter.

I know, but we had fun sitting on the rock hard ground outside the Prince hotel and putting the world to rights! Like I said in my first TDR post, I think that was the thing that was saddest about Disney, we walked up to you guys that one time outside Space Mountain, but we were all dashing off to hit a Fastpass schedule, and saw Robb, Elissa and Dave's group once or twice, and we continuously saw Barry at ToT, but that was basically it! The resort is so big, so we just kept missing each other!

I love the "Family" shot! Keep it going woman don't lose steam now!

I know, I have to keep on top of this, I might possibly even finish it this week if people respond enough to each update (and yes that is a hint, because I refuse to put two giant photo posts on one page, so it has to tick over first!), I've got the whole week to sit at my computer and work, may as well do a few of these while I'm at it! As for the family shot, it's always been one of my favourite shots from the trip, but it wasn't until I actually posted it that I really realised what a great family picture it would be... if we were family. LOL. You can tell we're having fun.

Last day of Disney coming soon! *sniff*

Like I said in my first TDR post, I think that was the thing that was saddest about Disney, we walked up to you guys that one time outside Space Mountain, but we were all dashing off to hit a Fastpass schedule, and saw Robb, Elissa and Dave's group once or twice, and we continuously saw Barry at ToT, but that was basically it! The resort is so big, so we just kept missing each other!

Robb and I feel the same way! I'm almost glad it worked out the way it did because had we ended at Disney like the original schedule was we wouldn't have seen anyone for the last four days of the trip!

That's another reason why we decided we have to do an official group dinner at DLPR on the Europe Trip because or else we won't see a ton of people from when we get there to when we leave!

Thanks Lou, loving the report and the rodent shout outs!

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

The spinning globe fountain is just so cool! For some reason I just really liked it as an icon.

Aside from the small ones at some Asian stores, the one at DisneyLand (?) Ca, was the first I'd ever seen. Was wild to watch these little kids moving this big stone sphere on a fountian. Think it was marble, but I took it for granite.

Anyway, this PTR was a great view of Japan for the curious among us. Looks awesome and definately worth going some day.

Our last day park-hopping at TDR... *sob*

After another breakfast at Starbucks, our little group made our way back to Disney for another long and exhausting (but so totally worth it) day at the resort. We decided to hit Disneyland first and pretty much finish everything we wanted to re-do, then finish up the day at DisneySea and try and see the nighttime show that we had missed on Day One because of the rain.

Seems like the long days were catching up with Aussie Richard.

First stop, Space Mountain. Many crazy antics in the "queue line"!

After Space, I dragged the boys over to Fantasyland and forced them at gunpoint to ride Dumbo. Trying to decide who was riding with who (I think the logic was that whoever rode with me would look slightly less tragic) was entertaining, and afterwards a Castmember snapped this shot. They weren't particularly enthusiastic, but Bob did very sweetly say that it was worth riding (well, more to the point, it was worth waiting in line for 20 minutes) just to see how ridiculously happy it made me, though.

So after riding, Chris tells us "this Dumbo isn't as good as the one at my Disneyland". First of all, did anybody else here know that our own COASTER FREAK 11 owned the original Disneyland?? Nope, me neither! Secondly... WHAT?!?! When questioned about this Dumbo being "worse" (seriously, a Dumbo is a Dumbo, and I LOVE Dumbo), he stated that, because of something to do with the theming, Tokyo's Dumbo is "anticlimactic". Please feel free to mock him because I still have no idea what the hell he means, and as much as California's Dumbo is great, I was not aware of it having a climax of any kind.

Moving on!

Doing some shopping (rather a lot of shopping, actually), I spotted a picture I liked on the wall... My attempts to steal it were not successful.

Time for lunch!

We had decided the day before to have lunch at the Blue Bayou, and had gone and scanned the menu, and were somehow quite surprised at how completely different to the California version. Not that there's any reason why it should be the same, but anyway.

Lovely menu! Despite my fussiness, I actually managed to easily find three courses I loved.

Erm, Chuck? I'm over here!

Starter: Cream of potato soup. This was soooo much better than it sounds.

You guys look happy but tired, which I suppose was our theme for the day, really!

Main course: Chicken and shrimp gumbo with rice and spring vegetables. I LOVE cauliflower, just as a random piece of Lou trivia, for those of you who collect such facts (RapidsNerd, I'm looking at you ).

I include this picture only because it amuses me.

And for dessert, Créme Brulée, complete with Minnie-embossed white chocolate!

Damn good meal!

As we were paying the bill, Chris nipped off to the bathroom, and our waitress stopped and chatted with us for a while. My immediate assumption was that she was being extra-nice in order to get a tip, until I remembered that you don't tip in Japan, and then Bob suggested she was practising her English. Anyway, it was just pleasant small-talk, she wanted to know where we were all from and if we were having a good time, and she gave each of us a sticker on our way out. Of course, we all took the ones we wanted, and Chris was left with Minnie Mouse. Which he refused to wear. Boo you Chris, with your climax-free Dumbo experience!!

Incidentally, from that day forth, "to Dumbo" is now a verb, meaning "to be anticlimactic". It's seriously a part of my vocabulary now.

I *obviously* took the Pluto sticker...

Bob had Donald...

Richard grabbed Mr Mouse...

And Chuck is Goofy.

Oh, and Chris is no fun.

After another quick Pirates ride, we went on a hunt for cold drinks and Bambi ears. I'd seen a girl with Bambi ears on Day One, and was insanely jealous and determined to find them, but hadn't been able to thus far. This afternoon, I was finally successful, and was clearly quite happy about it!

This guy's shirt amused me.

Whilst Chris and Richard were off doing there thing, Uncles Bob and Chuck took me on the Carrousel.

CAROUSEL POV.

I'm so tragically childish sometimes.

Before heading to DisneySea, we decided to check out Tokyo's version of Downtown Disney, as Richard had visited the day before and said it was worth a look. It's... interesting. Don't get me wrong, it's really REALLY nice, but it doesn't feel very Disney, it almost feels just like a really upmarket shopping mall. It has the most random assortment of stores, from high end jewellery stores to little seemingly family-run places selling comic books and model trains, clothes stores of every variety, dozens of capsule machines (obviously), and then the usual Planet Hollywood and cinema.

One of the little stores I spent a good while in.

This is part of the outdoor area of Ikspiari. See how pretty it is? It's very Disney-LOOKING, but not the usual Downtown Disney/Disney Village style.

THAT'S more like it.

We stopped into the Godiva chocolate shop for a free sample and an iced chocolate drink. Mmmmm.

This guy was quite entertaining, though he did keep dropping stuff. Which is perhaps why he was so entertaining!

Resort map in the monorail station.

Reflection shot!! I was convinced the monorail was gonna go without me while I sorted my camera out to take this!

Chris is so Japanese!! (LOVE the monorail theming, by the way.)

See, he *is* Japanese, he's even courteous!

I tried literally about 8 times to get a picture of the castle through the window but every time I snapped, a tree or building got in the way. This is the best I got. Sorry.

I love monorails and I don't really know why... Maybe just because they're so synonymous with Disney to me.

Near the entrance of DisneySea, doing yet more shopping, we caught Mount Prometheus spewing fire.

There are lots of people in the way of all my shots today because I gave up on being patient enough to wait for free space.

Everytime I look at these pictures I'm like "WOW, the place really is beautiful".

So freaking cool.

This was self-photography hour, we were all standing around this general area snapping ourselves in front of pretty backdrops!

30 seconds ago I was in Japan, now I'm in Italy! *JUST* missed the sodding boat!!!

I don't remember now what this is... It can't be Mount Fuji can it?? It's some big mountain hidden by cloud, I remember that much! It looks freakishly close in this picture.

Even Disney's smoking areas have gorgeous views.

We/they were walking too fast to get a good shot, but yes, that is Richard's name on the back of that kid's shirt.

Back at Tower. We probably bumped into Barry again around this time.

Perfectly done, every single detail covered. Disney still amazes me.

Back outside. The steamship is almost full-scale, and apparently you can wander around it and there's a restaurant and stuff??? I'm not sure I knew that at the time!!

We ran into Ryan... He'd already finished his day at Disney but had used his PoS car to come back in time and meet up with us.

This picture came out really creepy, I'm actually quite pleased about that.

Another random ToT/SS Columbia shot.

Love you Chris!!

This is my "This attraction is pointless and stupid but I love it anyway!" face.

On our way for one last ride on Indy... Which by the way I adored, and it was cool to see what the Cali one would be like if everything worked right, though there are a few fundamental differences. The lack of stalling, for example.

Oh, and I can't decide what's funnier about that shot: Me absorbing 99.9% of the flash, or the woman stuffing her face in the background.

My best shot of the Aztec structure that houses Indy. *sigh* I need photography classes. And more patience.

We camped out in great seats for the show, and prayed for no-rain!

We did of course all run off and get food though. Fish so fresh your mother would slap it! LOL!

Boredom breeds excessive amounts of self-photography. Bob rocks.

LMFAO BOB!!!!!

"Everybody wear the ears!!!! It'll be really funny right now but seem really stupid when I post it in my trip report!!"

"Do my Bambi ears make you horny?"

"Frankly, erm... No."

I don't take pictures during shows, partly because they always come out badly, and also because I like to get immersed in them. This one was no exception. I loved the show, *adored* the music, the effects were fantastic and we had great debate over certain aspects of it... Fantastic. And even better, after staying still for twenty minutes to let everybody else leave, we had the park pretty much to ourselves for a last few rides... And more shopping.

Chris, are you spitting on me?! WTF?! I don't remember this!!!

Bob looks like he's dead, and floating in space.

Yeah hi, I have a Pluto sticker and Bambi ears... How cool am I? Is it time for more Journey yet?

Yes, yes it is.

Thanks for making this day so fantastic, boys!! I had such a blast. My favourite park ever, and one of my favourite days of all the great stuff I did last year.

WOW that was a lot of photos!! I miss TDR so much!! Thanks for reading.

Next update will be decidedly boring and un-Disney. *sad*

Ok, now that you have posted the Dumbo story, let me quickly explain. Disneyland CA used to have a Dumbo like TDLs. But it caught fire (I think) and so we needed to replace it. It just so happened that Euro Disney had finished production of theirs...so we took it! And that is the Dumbo that sits at Disneyland today. The reason why TDLs Dumbo was "anti-climatic" is because I was expecting something much more grand and extravagant than California's. There, thats the story, haha.

I'm happy that I have added yet another word to you vocabulary Lou: Dumbo, a verb, meaning "to be anticlimactic" And if i remember correctly Lou, you did climax on it, haha.

Just wait Lou, I'm sure you will be back there very soon...maybe in 2 years!

Want to go back.

I liked that they had a "posing Dumbo" there for random group shots.

And any creepy shot of ToT is a Great Shot!

Looking forward to the "Dumbo-ing" of Fuji-Q Highland, lol.

^ LOL!! Bill gets it!! Yes, Fuji-Queue Dumbo'd horribly. I was expecting so much greatness and all I recieved was crap.

Thanks for the explanation, Chris... I actually do seem to remember that story now you've reminded me, but honestly it makes my whole "Stupid Chris Story Number 462" far less entertaining, so I think I must have blocked it out.

Thanks for the feedback guys. And I'm glad people agree with my assessment of the Creepy Tower photo. Actually I have another identical picture somewhere but without the blue hue: Basically I accidentally had the camera on "Water" mode or "snow" mode or something and it turned everything blue, so I took another on regular mode... Then realised the blue one was much more arty. So that was that.