TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

What other colors did Shockwave have? Besides white, blue and neon green?

-Tatum

Heck yeah! The Shockwave has had a couple pretty, uhh... not very pleasing color schemes. Personally, I don't like the current one (bright blue, bright green, yellow stairs(?????), white n grey trains with a brown or blue stripe???).

From what I can tell from pics (including my own from 1990-1995), here are the color schemes (please correct me if I'm wrong or missing one or more!):

All white with blue trains

Dark blue supports with silver track (this was nice....)

Beige supports, white track and pepto-bismal pink loop interiors (UUUCK!!!)

and now the Bright blue n green.....

That ride is great, and easily still one of the top 10 steel coasters anywhere ... I just wish it could look good for more than a couple years. I think a Vortex like navy supports and either yellow or orange track would look good.

The train on Greezed Lightnin' (Tidal wave/viper) at Kentucky Kingdom has a similar dark brown/reddish stripe as the Shockwave. Does this color even belong on a coaster?

Either way, both rides rule the parks that they are at (ok ok.. i haven't been to SFOT since I interned there in '95, but I've been on exact duplicates or similar rides as everything they have; and unfortunately I know the Giant is a mess now - it was actually still pretty good in '95, and of course KILLER in '90)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worlds of Fun 1979

New in 1979: Zulu (enterprise), Le Carousel & Serpent kiddie coaster.

Boy Enterprises were all the rage in 1979, several parks added them. Remember the days when parks could market a simple ride like an Enterprise and we would get excited about it....great times!

Theme parks also used to be great concert venues to big stars. Worlds of Fun had the Forum, Carowinds had the Paladium and Magic Mountain had the Toyota Showcase theater. Big Stars would play these venues and I guess it really brought in the crowds.

831217208_WorldsofFun1.jpg.6b7518df5a50fffcb2542f7ee4bcf1b8.jpg

619526313_WorldsofFun6.jpg.805c82d63b0e64f2d047fddeabc6d008.jpg

614459915_WorldsofFun5.jpg.684c745f4c289fe22d3721ff28cf6c53.jpg

1860982651_WorldsofFun2.jpg.a83b9c79edbebabdb87037ede53784cc.jpg

Well that concludes my series on theme park brochures from the year 1979. If you missed any of them click on the links below to see each brochure.

AstroWorld

Busch Gardens The Dark Continent

Busch Gardens The Old Country

Carowinds

Cedar Point

Elitch Gardens

Geauga Lake

Hersheypark

Kennywood

Kings Dominion

Kings Island

Libertyland

Magic Mountain

Marriott's Great America, Gurnee

Marriott's Great America, Santa Clara

Opryland

Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags over Georgia

Six Flags over Mid-America

Six Flags over Texas

Valleyfair!

Worlds of Fun

Now that you have seen them all, do you have a favorite? Which one and why?

My favorite would have to go to: Kings Dominion. I really like the map of the park inside the brochure and I love that big fold out section of the Lost World. Plus Kings Dominion was such a GREAT park back in the 70's. The Kings Kobra, Apple Turnover, a red white & blue Rebel Yell, it was all good!

I would also have to say that Six Flags over Georgia is also one of my favorites just because it is so 70's. It captures all those crazy images and feelings that the 70's were all about.

I think my favorite is Six Flags Over Texas. Those captions throughout the brochure are just priceless!

"I want to do everything first!"

"Its the fastest double-loop coaster in the whole world."

"How can I be going up, when I am sitting down?"

Yep, priceless!

Thanks Shane!

They all have their great points! I really like the SFOG brochure with Mindbender on it. And of course, KD. I remember going there in, I think 84 and 85. We always went to DC to visit my mom when she was there for work (govnmt worker) in the summer.

I was still too much a chicken to ride Rebel and Grizzly in '84, but did my first woodie there, Scooby Doo. I also, of course, loved King Kobra. My aunt Janice threw a fit cuz we rented a car and drove there, and I wouldn't ride the big woodies. I think we ended up leaving early, and I didn't get my extra rides on Kobra.

I think growing up at Great America since 1980; then '81 the American Eagle carried such a legacy and reputation of terror (didn't ride it until '85) that that's what made me afraid of the woodies at Kings Dominion. At the time, Rebel Yell basically looked like a slightly smaller Eagle to me.

I surely remember the Apple Turnover, Flying Dutchman shoes and the Galaxy coaster as well. The place was a dream. I finally rode Grizzly and Rebel the next summer, and loved them.

And that's the last time I was there! Summer '85! I remember the signs for the new stand up coaster coming in '86!

I've got some great old brochures, postcards/pics and promo material from parks (as well as Arrow) that I'd like to get up sometime. My scanner is broke, and I'm pretty lazy!

I've also got some great promo folders from Cedar Point from like 85-87 I believe; beautiful shiny colorful folder chock full of pics, etc.

I'm not the biggest CP fan that I once was... I'd much rather talk and brag about places like Indiana Beach, Holidayworld, Hershey and Kennywood.

CP has really sold out over the years, and just simply isn't much fun anymore (as well as SF).

Shane, just one question that you might be able to answer: was Valleyfair! a Cedar Fair park at the time that brochure was made? I didn't notice any reference to "Cedar Fair" on the brochure, but I thought they owned it by then.

"Cedar Fair" did not exsit at the time, but Cedar Point's owner bought Valleyfair! in 1978, a year before that brochure. They added Rails, CP's old Wildcat coaster the year they bought the park. So yes, it was a "Cedar Fair" park at the time.

An interesting fact about VF was that Dick Kinzel was the general manager there for 8 years in the 80's before he became CEO of the entire company. He was responsible for Corkscrew and partially responsible for Excalibur.

Shane, are you going to do anymore from different years? That would be so cool! Thanks for filling up the Attic so far!

-Tatum

Yes Tatum, I do plan on doing other series like this. If you go to page one of this thread you can see the things that I have coming up.

Shane, just one question that you might be able to answer: was Valleyfair! a Cedar Fair park at the time that brochure was made? I didn't notice any reference to "Cedar Fair" on the brochure, but I thought they owned it by then.

"Cedar Fair" did not exsit at the time, but Cedar Point's owner bought Valleyfair! in 1978, a year before that brochure. They added Rails, CP's old Wildcat coaster the year they bought the park. So yes, it was a "Cedar Fair" park at the time.

An interesting fact about VF was that Dick Kinzel was the general manager there for 8 years in the 80's before he became CEO of the entire company. He was responsible for Corkscrew and partially responsible for Excalibur.

Thanks for posting that, I did not know that about Dick Kinzel being at ValleyFair or when Cedar Point bought the park. Always good to hear interesting things like this.

I just had a thought---this topic ought to be a sticky. But that's up to the staff.

Eric

What is a sticky???

Thanks everyone for all your great comments and for adding pictures, information and your stories from memory and collections. I really enjoy sharing this stuff and hearing your comments about the parks as they used to be.

I am really excited about my friend Scott, he has been inspired to go through his closet and get out all his good stuff and start up a thread also to share. So make sure you check out Scott's Amusement Attic

tpr_logo_697.jpg.b3b0d42edc435b0e346a88808e117e99.jpg

The World of Sid & Marty Krofft

By the way, do you happen to have anything from The World of Sid and Marty Krofft that was in Atlanta?

A lot of you have asked my if I had any information on this relatively unknown park. Here is an article I found from an old publication called Amusement Park Journal. The article gives a great description of the park, attractions at the park, how it was set up, and how it failed. This must have been quite an interesting park...boring...but interesting.

Sid & Marty Krofft were responsible for a lot crazy stuff from the 70's including H.R. Pufinstuf, Lidsville, the Donny & Marie show and the craptacular "Brady Bunch Variety Hour". The later, probably one of the worst TV shows ever produced, is strangely and surprisingly very entertaining to watch today! Anyways the point I am trying to make is that they did their own thing, several have suggested that hallucenagenics played a huge part in production development. They completely strayed from the successful theme park formula and went for a something completely different...needless to say, other than Wild West World, this park had one of the shortest runs in history.

Since it was only opened a short time I never had the chance to visit the park. I bet not many other people had the opportunity either. Enjoy the article it is a small footnote in the history of theme parks and contains some great bits of amusement park trivia.

Shane

342851945_SidMartyKroftWorld3.thumb.jpg.dda12ff9084a669709a9fc172ddd8998.jpg

1699331350_SidMartyKroftWorld2.thumb.jpg.3e53c81cea9db79195184b3974c9fc1a.jpg

606481353_SidMartyKroftWorld1.thumb.jpg.b66114b1ba0ccf41cb0681949d81ee15.jpg

kbrochure.thumb.jpg.c833ad7181b74648a3dc1d3fcc0ae5da.jpg

I was one of the fortunate few to visit The World of Sid & Marty Kroft. I'd have been 12 the time. Unfortunately, I don't recall much about the place. I remember my favorite aunt who was a long time Atlanta resident taking me and my younger brother for a visit. I remember being a huge fan of the Krofts' TV shows. I recall that my hometown of Columbus, Ga did not have an NBC affiliate until the early 70's and I always remember what a treat it was to watch HR Pufnstuf while visiting relatives in Atlanta.

I guess we could say the reason the park failed is it wasn't that memorable. I have vivid memories (and family photos) of my early visits to SFOG, but all I recall of The World of Sid & Marty Kroft was that I had been there. I sure wish I had something else to share.

Shane, this has been an awesome thread and I want to be sure and express my appreciation. My 11 year old son is getting quite a history lesson about one of his favorite subjects.

EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for the Krofft article. Info on this park is EXTREMELY hard to find. THere are glimpses of it in some of the TV episodes, but no real ride footage. And I've yet to see any pictures of the Living Island dark ride. I'd love to see some good onrides, and would totally freak if a ridethrough video ever surfaced.

Any TPR members have pics? There is a good website that has a brochure, map, and some info, but nothing new for years:

http://members.aol.com/interama/krofft.html

-R