TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ole' South USA

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile over at the Ole South Facebook Page

What work has been completed on Ole South USA?

A comprehensive feasibility study has been completed by the foremost attraction econimist in the country, Fred Cochrane. The concept has been honed, refined and developed into a marketable venture. Relational due diligence with local authorities, chambers and businessmen has been established. Preliminary site locations have been scouted. A team of professionals has been identified to assist with the next phase of development.

Translated, we paid a guy a ton of money to tell us if we build it, people might come. Then we took a few politicians out to dinner and had a realtor send us listings of land for sale. We have our eye on a few people to help us out, but they've told us until we get the money and break ground, they aren't quitting their day jobs.

I mean if this crowd financing thing works good for them, but I hope they realize why some people would be a little skeptical. If it does work, then we should do the same thing to Save Teh Big Dipper.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in on their Facebook page...

We need one more Pioneer Club member to reach the milestone of 50....who's it going to be? Also, we would love to reach the 300 Facebook fan count.

Um, 50 is their milestone and they are excited about 300 FB fans, this cloud thing is really working out for them

They are shooting for 3500 members @ the $25 level....

no breath holding please

**Edit** I don't recognize any TPR members on this list

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing much new in this latest news article: http://cdh.columbiadailyherald.com/articles/2012/01/18/affiliate/franklinlife/news/05park.txt

Franklin's David Webb Wants to Bring Theme Park to Area

By ANGIE MAYES

Staff Writer

When Franklin native David Webb moved back to town in 2004, he noticed a void for good, clean family fun. That void had been filled with Opryland USA, but when it closed in 1997, families were forced to travel hours if they wanted to enjoy a fun theme park.

Ole South USA is the brainchild of Franklin resident David Webb.

Illustration Submitted

That's when Ole South USA theme came to mind.

"I grew up going to Opryland," he said. "When it left, there was a huge void for family entertainment in Middle Tennessee."

Webb had moved back to Middle Tennessee from Orlando, Fla. where he lived for 10 years.

"I worked for Disney...I moved from the Mecca of theme parks," he said. "When I came back to Nashville I started to think a creative enterprise which would allow me to bring a theme park back to Nashville. I've put a lot of effort into it. I hired a guy (Fred Cochran) from California, who had worked with Walt Disney, to do a feasibility study."

The growth in Middle Tennessee since the closing of Opryland, is a main reason why Webb decided to look into another theme park in the area.

"I know that a lot of people would support the park," he said. "I've done a lot of research into it. I've met with former theme park executives, former Disney executives. I feel like we were getting traction and then in 2007, the economy went downhill. Venture capital and start-up funding became difficult to secure at this phase of the project."

Then he heard about Crowd Funding, which allows a corporation to raise funds through contributions by "fans" of the idea or project.

"After the flood, there were 70,000 people on facebook that wanted to bring another theme park to Nashville," he said. "If I can tap into that fanbase, I can get the initial master plan done."

As part of his fundraising, Webb has created a $25 donation level. With that, "fans" of the park can receive a number of perks. Only 3,500 fan packages will be available. It is first come, first serve.

What makes Webb's plan different than other theme park ideas of late is planning and networking, he said. He has talked to former theme park executives, he has formed a development team, consisting of Gary Armstrong (a land developer), Don McCrary (an architect), Rob Corley (a former Disney animator who worked on The Lion King) and learned about the ins and outs of making and running a theme park.

"I commend other people's efforts," he said. "I've done everything right. I've flushed out the concept, thought it out and completed a professional feasibility study. I have a concept map and good artwork. I've met with theme park executives and learned about the process."

Although he is taking the planning one step at a time, Webb said he is also looking at the big picture.

"I want to build a big park that will get people to the area from the south, the southeast, the midwest," he said, noting that the park will have different areas for people of all ages to enjoy.

With six different lands named Ole South Boulevard, Appalachia, Southern Shores, Countryside, New South and Mansion and Gardens, Webb anticipates filling the park with visitors who will enjoy the southern country side, shoreline, mountains, mansions, cities and more. He will have shows, rides, restaurants, retail stores: Everything other theme parks have.

He is looking at four different properties to locate the park on, all of them in Williamson County.

"I've looked at the population growth in Murfreesboro, Williamson County and Spring Hill and decided that this is a good place," he said. "People can come from Chattanooga or Huntsville. While they're here, they can tour Jack Daniels or some of the Antebellum mansions in the area. With the new convention center there's going to be a huge need for something for families to do."

Working with government officials is key to helping bring such a dream to fruition. With that in mind, he has met with different chambers, county mayors, the Tennessee Department of Transportation and the Tennessee Department of Tourism. He said he has good support from the governmental agencies.

Webb said if they raise the money for the master plan through the Crowd Funding, then get the funding to build the park in place, construction on the park could take as little as 18 months.

"It could happen fairly quickly, depending on the funding," he said. "If people want to bring a theme park back to Nashville, here's their opportunity."

For more information on Ole South USA, visit their web site at http://www.olesouthusa.com, like their facebook page or join them on Twitter.

• 1 month later...

As much as I would like them to succeed, I don't think there is much of a chance. They just got their 100th Pioneer Club member and it took 3 months. Only 3400 to go to reach there goal so they can actually get plans made and not just ideas.

• 10 months later...

My opinion isn't worth much, but, I would say they are going to go through with the construction of the park. Or at least dye trying. I am pulling this together on the basis that they seem to have a pretty good website already in place, and a pretty straight-forward plan, based on what is put up on the website. The other thing is that nothing has come up in the few years of down-time during the planning phase that seems to have made them want to abandon the project all together. That is promising. With that being said, I also wanted to say that a feasibility study means not too much. (In my opinion, of course there are other views that I should also be considering) A feasibility study can be done by anyone wanting to build a park, with the money, of course. A feasibility study just seems like they could be anywhere in the design process. In fact, if I were to build a park, I would perform the study before even planning and wasting time, money, and resources to do that if it isn't a good area to set up a park. why plan it for that specific area of you find in the feasibility study that it won't work out? I see from the photos on the site, they want to build it by a lake, so finding another similar, property wouldn't be as easy as building on a small, plain stretch of land.

I see that they have a Roller Skater layout on the lower left hand corner of the map. Meaning, they must actually have concrete items planned instead of some sort of frilly concept... this might actually be a park that would bear some weight to its concept.

NCAA Football Darkride = interesting

You fight Rebels, get chased by Razorback, Tigers and Bulldogs, and the finale is that you get squashed by a giant elephant's A$$.

Don't forget the part about being up on a bunch of random characters no one has ever heard of (see SEC non-conference schedules).

That could actually make for an interesting dark ride concept if done well...especially in the south.

NCAA Football Darkride = interesting

A Sally product integrating IMAX highlights of Sanctions announcements in 3D will certainly be something to behold. Maybe they can borrow a page out of Six Flags' book and add fire and onboard audio of random movie quotes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxlzH65ywtg

Step aside, winners of Mitch's poll and Golden Ticket awards. Step aside.

Obviously, I would love to see this built, but just don't see this going beyond a concept.

Whatever haloed to that awkward program they set up past year where they asked for people to send money just so they could finish their planning process? It didn't seem like it went very well and then I heard nothing else about it.

Looks like they decided to copy off of Disney, in my book. For example...

-Train station crossing over main entrance, mansion in the place of the castle, mine train coaster in the place of Space Mountain, center hub layout with areas surrounding it, rapids pirate ride in the place of either Pirates of the Carribean, Splash Mountain or Jungle Cruise, racetack in the place of Tomorrowland Speedway, etc.

But the back of the park does look like it would be different. Kind of reminds me of EPCOT without the countries.It looks like a cool concept, but I don't know. I kind of hope that this won't end up to be the final layout and they go with a little originality.