TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Southern California Firestorm

socalMAN123

^^Yeah, same here Elissa. Except, it would have to burn through a gigantic outdoor mall, several hundred houses, the 5 freeway, more houses, and then it would finally get to us. Besides that though, the smoke has started to shift our direction, so it is right in the path of the sun, making everything visible orange. After another day in the smoke, I've gotten used to breathing it, so it's not that horrible anymore. Stay safe everyone in Socal!

---Brent

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, this is my thrid month in Los Angeles, and I'm a little worried about the fires. My house is n the same mountain range as the ones in Malibu, except its about a 45 minute drive (w/o traffic) east of the fires. Also my school is in the hills and its about 25 mins (again w/o traffic) away from my house. I'm pretty worried now

In the news it looks really really scarry but I guess those of you who do live close see it from a more realistic (and sometimes less catastrophic) point of view.

I live in Israel and we got our own shit so I know that things can look much worse on tv than in reality.

I pray for all of you in this area. My advice for you is to make a "just in case" bag with all the things that you really want to keep and that you might not have time to pack if the fire will get closer and you need to evacuate. I doesn't hurt to be ready.

I heard on the news lately that the three fires in Santa Clarita are supposed to be joining together sometime within the next 24 hours... And they are heading towards the Ventura County/Simi area.

So for all of you that are worried about Magic Mountain, it's in the clear for now. The fire I believe burned away from it.

But I'm over in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks) and yesterday the smoke and ash was terrible from the fires. Today it actually wasn't bad, though. Now that doesn't mean that the fires are getting better, it probably just means that the winds have changed course.

I hope all of you in Valencia/Santa Clarita are safe... I know what it's like to have a fire burning literally in your backyard. Probably one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. (My house is 3 streets away from Mt. Boney, part of the Santa Monica Mountain Range)

After seeing footage on the news, photos on the internet, and reading things in this thread such as "a fire started under Viper," I had to go check out SFMM tonight for myself to see how things were. I saw no fires in the immediate area, no evidence that there were ever any fires, not even smoke in the distance. Nothing!

I think the worst has passed.

^ wow.... how close did the fires actually get?!?

Well we were all packed up and ready to go just in case, if the fire had moved down the mountain and jumped the road it would have been at the base of my hill. The fire only got about halfway to 3/4 down the mountain (not sure, I fell asleep) before some tankers smothered it out in the morning, thankfully.

That's strange that they all have names. But I guess when there's 12-14 of them burning at once, you need some way to differentiate between them. On the Philly news this morning, they showed a reporter in SD reporting on his own house burning down. That was awful!

I hope and pray this plays out without further injury or loss of life and property. Especially for the firemen.

^Those are some crazy pictures! I would've just left halfway through the day if all the rides were closed. Anywho, the smoke kinda got worse today, but having no wind helped a lot! The Santiago fire (the fire closest to me, therefore causing the most problems) is now 50% contained, so hopefully soon it will be out! Let's see if we can get all those other fires 50% contained!

---Brent