TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Somebody was ranting to me about how its the only attraction that "makes money." Well yes, but does it have a shop that can push out more crap to hungry consumer and isn't fixed to a set contracted rate?

Edited by Gnome

Somebody was ranting to me about how its the only attraction that "makes money." Well yes, but it does it have a shop that can push out more crap to hungry consumer and isn't fixed to a set contracted rate?

Can you please send me the secret decoder ring that is obviously required to decipher that post?

I hadn't hard of them doing this, but after some research it seems to be a decently cemented rumor. Without knowing what the attraction will be, basic idea and the location is pretty fitting. Hopefully they don't make fun of themselves too much with the whole Stark Expo thing.

I think he's saying that exit gift shop money from new attraction > sponsorship money from innoventions.

Mechanic, here is your decoder ring. My guess is if and when Disney rips up the area and redevelops it, I can see them retooling the area in the same manor that Carsland and Potter have been created with a large variety of exclusive foods and merchandise.

I'm just curious about the whole Iron Man thing. Didn't Iger say that he didn't want to use the Marvel franchises for just single attractions? He was more in the market to do full lands and/or parks? Yet we keep getting this rumor about Iron Man coming to Tomorrowland. I'm not saying I don't believe the attraction will happen, I just feel like we are getting mixed messages.

Is the whole 3rd park themed to Marvel not a rumor anymore? Hard to build one attraction at Disneyland and then build a whole park and exclude the main driving force in the Marvel universe (that Disney has the current rights to) with Iron Man being at Disneyland already.

Again, I have no clue here. Just don't see the logic behind Disney putting Iron Man into Tomorrowland when there are so many other better options that they have.

I think that them putting Iron Man into Disneyland is much more likely than them building a Marvel specific theme park.

The original plans for the Fantasyland upgrade for MK was changed because it was too girly, so why would an entire theme park based around something targeted mainly at boys be a better idea?

Tomorrowland is in pretty dire need of an overhaul, and this could be exactly it. The whole Stark Expo thing is pretty fitting and a decent area of Tomorrowland, not just the attraction (Chevron's sponsorship of Autopia ended in 2012, it's time for that thing to go) could be modified to go along with that theme.

The only thing that concerns me about this idea, is that it could end up mocking the ideas that Tomorrowland was supposed to represent but never happened. Like, here is the first ever monorail in North America that was supposed to signal the future of public transportation, and now is an aspect of Stark Expo that is sort of a comical tribute to that type of stuff.

Potentially they could "DCA 2.0" that whole area to make room for the superheroes. Innoventions, Captain EO, Pizza Port could all go. Heck, Autopia alone is the same size as Fantasyland! Maybe even a re-think of the Tomorrowland name - it's more Sci-Fi-land anyway.

There's a lot of possibilities here, can't wait to see what the imagineers come up with!

Tomorrowland is in pretty dire need of an overhaul, and this could be exactly it. The whole Stark Expo thing is pretty fitting and a decent area of Tomorrowland, not just the attraction (Chevron's sponsorship of Autopia ended in 2012, it's time for that thing to go) could be modified to go along with that theme.

I agree that Tomorrowland needs a refresh, but I doubt that the Autopia is going anywhere (based on how popular it is with families)--now beefing up the ride with some interactive stuff would be nice.

I think that them putting Iron Man into Disneyland is much more likely than them building a Marvel specific theme park.

Less likely than Disney building a zoo?!?!

When rumors of Animal Kingdom first surfaced, people were like "No! That doesn't make any sense! Why would Disney build a zoo?!??!" And now you wouldn't think twice about the viability of Animal Kingdom.

It just doesn't sound likely because you can envision how it would work.

The original plans for the Fantasyland upgrade for MK was changed because it was too girly, so why would an entire theme park based around something targeted mainly at boys be a better idea?

It's funny that you think super heroes only applies to boys. I can't tell you how often KidTums plays "StarGirl" which is her own made-up super hero. It's probably a good thing you aren't designing theme parks.

Chevron's sponsorship of Autopia ended in 2012, it's time for that thing to go

I just love all these people who wan to get rid of Autopia! Again, you have NO CLUE when it comes to what guests want in a theme park! Do you not even know why Autopia constantly has such a long line and why is scores high on surveys? BECAUSE KIDS LOVE IT!!!

--Robb "Leave the theme park designing to the professionals, please!" Alvey

Is the whole 3rd park themed to Marvel not a rumor anymore? Hard to build one attraction at Disneyland and then build a whole park and exclude the main driving force in the Marvel universe (that Disney has the current rights to) with Iron Man being at Disneyland already.

They built a Toy Story ride at both Disneyland and DCA, why couldn't they have two Iron Man rides in two different parks?

While I would -prefer- seeing standalone Marvel attractions in the parks, don't think that they wouldn't expand the idea further. For all we know, they could have two or three people locked into a small room only being fed bread and water until they get top secret expansion plans finished that no one else knows about.

My biggest issue with a Marvel centric theme park is that I feel that the super hero movie is the new Western. And we all know how Western movies kept their popularity high for decades and decades.

Marvel characters HAVE been popular for decades and decades. They aren't going anywhere.

My biggest issue with a Marvel centric theme park is that I feel that the super hero movie is the new Western. And we all know how Western movies kept their popularity high for decades and decades.

Marvel Comics has been around since 1939. Franchises like Spider Man and X-Men have been around for 50 years. I think it's safe to say that the super hero genre is not the next "western."

And on top of that, films like Django Unchained and True Grit prove the western is not "dead", and I can think of at least two parks, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City, that have an entire western theme, and they are some of the best parks in the country!

--Robb

Anyone that doesn't think a ride based on Iron Man or some other Marvel character wouldn't be popular is insane. Look at the movie box office grosses, look at the merchandising, look at the character longevity (most of these characters have been in print consistently for 50 years!). Superheroes are and will continue to be a hot topic, and a really good idea to theme a major attraction around. Kids (boys AND girls) love these types of characters, and love toys/merchandise based on these characters. Honestly, I'm amazed they haven't already announced some sort of attraction based on Iron Man or some other character. And I think a Marvel-themed park would be amazing, and a giant money maker. Would love to see this happen.

And as to getting rid of Autopia, um, yeah, that is dumb. That ride is insanely popular, it's not going anywhere. Some people play too much RCT...

dt

Honestly, I'm amazed they haven't already announced some sort of attraction based on Iron Man or some other character.

dt

Soon.

Disney kept the buying of Marvel pretty secret until it was finally announced, so the time lapse is basically WDI working on designs, and seeing if anything gets greenlit. Unlike Avatar, where they went ahead and announced a 'Land' without actually having anything to show for it or greenlit. Id suspect to see a few really fun announcements at this years D23 convention.

They built a Toy Story ride at both Disneyland and DCA, why couldn't they have two Iron Man rides in two different parks?

This is very true. I was more thinking that if they build a huge E-Ticket to Iron Man at Disneyland and then a whole park to Marvel, are they really going to invest heavily in a second major E-Ticket for the same brand or stick to other stuff? Of course, that is again assuming that both would need to be E-Tickets, which they probably don't.

This is me just thinking out loud though, I won't even pretend to know what Disney has planned or pretend like I know what is the "right thing to do" because I don't. I defer that knowledge to people on here that actually know the backstage side of Disney (and don't hear it at grade school events). I will say that I'm not sure I've ever been let down by anything Disney has done in the past, so I look forward to what it to come.

This is very true. I was more thinking that if they build a huge E-Ticket to Iron Man at Disneyland and then a whole park to Marvel, are they really going to invest heavily in a second major E-Ticket for the same brand or stick to other stuff? Of course, that is again assuming that both would need to be E-Tickets, which they probably don't.

I could see an Avengers ride working in the third park with Iron Man in the flagship park.

I kinda doubt they would devote an ENTIRE theme park to Marvel. Don't you think they would want to put one or MAYBE even two lands devoted to Star Wars as well? It would be creatively limited to have one entire theme park devoted to Marvel, or even Star Wars for that matter. If/when they build the third gate, I think they will make it have a broader theme (ala Disneyland, Hollywood Studios, Islands of Adventure) to allow more major brands to have a presence in there. I think this would be a great place to push their other franchises like Tron, Lone Ranger or Oz.

^Broader theme could work. DCA and DLR are blends of Disney, Pixar and other brands so no reason why a third gate would be Lucasfilm/Marvel only. Thinking about Pixar, their last few films have been a little lacklustre but The Incredibles present some possibilities.

And if there's the possibility of a Muppets dark ride (I wish)...

From the Disney Parks Blog

Storytelling at the Royal Theatre in Fantasy Faire, Opening March 12 at Disneyland Park

posted on January 31st, 2013 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

We’ve been giving you peeks into the new Fantasy Faire coming to Disneyland park here on the Disney Parks Blog, and today, I’m pleased to let you know that this area will officially open for guests on March 12.

One of the highlights of Fantasy Faire will be the Royal Theatre, where you’ll be treated to two unique shows relating the tales of “Beauty and the Beast” and “Tangled,” as told by a pair of Renaissance Storytellers, Mr. Smythe and Mr. Jones.

Messieurs Smythe and Jones are men of the theatre and lovers of legend and lore. The storytellers present the tale as old as time and the hair-raising tale of Rapunzel, with the assistance of some fellow villagers, all to the musical accompaniment of Sir Samuel of Morocco. Even Belle, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider appear onstage to help tell their own stories.

“We’re using our imaginations to create these stories,” said Show Director Chris Utley. “The storytellers will play a variety of roles, filling in as the other characters. They may put on a costume accessory to pretend to be Beast, or Gaston or Mother Gothel. ”

“The stories are told in a fast-paced, whimsical kind of way – very fun and theatrical,” said Chris. “It’s kind of a Renaissance vaudeville style, and the two guys are reminiscent of the old comedy duos of Gallagher & Shean, Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy. They tell their stories with a lot of humor and heart.”

The storytellers will take to the stage of the Royal Theatre when Fantasy Faire opens on March 12.

Pro345678LARGE.jpg.59c35a14f2370465e2c8c3163f01f071.jpgMos120987LARGE.jpg.831c100ee5d6afbb7e5c1cfd1bf7e8c4.jpg

And another: Disney Parks Blog

Earlier this month, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland park closed for a major refurbishment that includes all-new track and updates to the mountain itself as well as other visual elements. One area receiving an update will be the Rainbow Ridge Mining Town. Dating back to 1956 and the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train attraction, Rainbow Ridge Mining Town is a classic feature of Frontierland.

When the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurbishment is complete this fall, Rainbow Ridge Mining Town will look very much the same as it always has. It is being refurbished with new materials, but many items from the original area will be reused such as props, signs and select doors, windows and shutters. Several other items are being turned over to the Disney Archives.

“The wildest ride in the wilderness” reopens fall 2013, so hold onto your hats and glasses until then!

Thunder.jpg.790d66afbd827c79a709933cd96b36cb.jpg