TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Great America Becomes California's Great America

I rode the Sky Wheel once in 1997 on my 6th birth day. I totaly loved it, and I was shocked when I went back the following summer and there was a large yellow and purple thing that went forwards and backwards...

What year was it taken out? I remember going to GA when i was little and riding Demon (my first coaster) and it wasnt there. They must have just removed it right when i went.

either that, or i just dont remember it being there.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got super nerdy and snagged my copy of Beverly Hills Cop 3 out of my DVD case. There are some great angles of Triple Wheel in action, so I snapped a screen shot for you to check out. The movie also has a nice collection of classic GA shots including the Train, Tidal Wave, and Vortex's old green and black paint job.

-Sean

Dude...that was probably my favorite scene. It offered various views of almost oldschool Great America right down to the dark turquoise Tidal Wave and the faded lime green/black Vortex. Not to mention, Ameri-Go-Round sitting where Drop Zone sits now.

Speaking of Triple Wheel/Sky Whirl, to this day, I can still hear the high pitched sounds of the motors that could be heard clear across the park. That thing was loud!

^Thats so true! Those motors were f-ing loud! After all these years of not hearing that for 8 hours a day I thankfully almost forgot what they sounded like until you said that, now I can once again hear those things screamin in my head. Thanks! And you guys mentioned Ameri-go-round, I paneled that ride too. Yeah 2 buttons, start and e-stop, really super complicated. Oh and there was also a switch for the lights.

I rode the Sky Wheel once in 1997 on my 6th birth day. I totaly loved it, and I was shocked when I went back the following summer and there was a large yellow and purple thing that went forwards and backwards...

What year was it taken out? I remember going to GA when i was little and riding Demon (my first coaster) and it wasnt there. They must have just removed it right when i went.

I dunno, that thing was hard to miss. In fact, the Sky Wheel is about the only thing I remeber from my first trip. I've been so many times, that all of the memories run together. Since that first trip was the only trip with Sky Wheel, it's probably the only reason why I can remeber that first trip in particiular.

The Sky ride closed at the end of the 1997 seaon to make room for Invertigo. I remeber when It first opened--the ride concept alone was SICK!!! 6 inversion, forwards/backwards, beneith the track w/ no floor insane coaster experience! It really was an insane ride when you ride it when you're 8 years old.

^^ I hope that

will help bring back memories (hehe)...though this is SF Great America...For those who don't remember the screeching noise, you here it on this tribute video.

I don't recall hearing it on BHC3 probably because the sound got edited out and replaced with a much quieter humming sound. (That noise would probably have made any dialog rather difficult to understand.)[/img]

Well if Axman rode it in 1997 and Invertigo opened in 1998, then it got removed after the 1997 season.

The Triple Wheel was a great ride. I even remember the noise I can almost hear it! Another classic ride gone. What is your favorite classic ride at CGA? For me deffinately Greased Lightnin/Tidal Wave. Remember there are all these rides:

-Skyhawk

-Orleans Orbit

-The Lobster (spinning ride)

-The Whizzer

-The Beserker

-Sky Tower

-Sky Buckets

-Rule De Lodge

-Triple Play

-Fiddlers Fling (Centrifuge)

-Triple Wheel

-Antique Cars

-Loggers Run

-Yankee Clipper

-The Smurf (Runaway Reptar)

-Rip Roaring Rapids

-White Water Falls

-The Edge

-The Revolution

-The Demon

-Days Of Thunder

Now that you bring them up I always thought Yankee Clipper was cool with the straight drop and jump at the bottom. I remember Lobster as a kid and thought it was fun too. Then there is Willards Whizzer, that and Turn of the Century were my first two big coasters. I like Demon but really miss Whizzer. Greatamericaparks.com has some great pics of the early days of both parks. Does anybody remember Bottoms Up? There are some great promo pics from 1976 and some with Bugs Bunny riding Whizzer..."its Marriots Great...Amer...i...caaaa."

^BTW, "Sky Buckets" is not the Delta Flyer skyride. It is the Triple Wheel, which was originally called Sky Whirl.

Who else here LOVES Great America Parks? I learned so much about both the Santa Clara and Gurnee GA's back in their Marriott era. I'm partial to the Santa Clara park because I've gone there my whole life, and my parents met there in the 80's.

I have been going to CGA 1991-2006. I'll wait a couple years for CF to add at least a couple high tech coasters before going again. The new woodie were getting in 09 doesn't count for me. Has to be something bigger, something like Stealth & a new launch to replace Greased Lightnin.

• 2 weeks later...

Click on this linked pic for the larger file to view much more details:

http://coastercrew.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=109&pos=158

LOVE all the low to the ground track, are obviously going for a high speed out of control feel to it, a good contrast from Roar's airless tall hills. The tower wraparound should be spectacular, both visually and physically (think of BTMRR's goat trick, just on a much bigger scale!). Hopefully designing around the Imax building means something big is planned for that in the future.