TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Japan Trip 2007" Thread

^Remember they rotate flavors.

In addition to what was posted, we've also seen in the past:

Soda

Coffee

Cappuchino

and others that I can't remember!

They were selling Soda-flavored corn near Space Mountain--tasted more like bubble gum to me.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to visit Japan so bad. I really hope to go someday, especially so I can see those cool ToT effects myself! Oh, and get me some of that popcorn. Don't they have flavors like, strawberry and apple?

Strawberry, yes. Apple, no--although that actually does sound really good.

Here's the flavors that I can remember:

Honey

Coconut

Sea Salt

Salted

Black Pepper

Curry

Strawberry

Caramel

Chocolate

Am I missing any?

Curry always had the longest line. Curry on popcorn didn't sound good to me, so I skipped it.

Coconut Popcorn

If I wasn't already sold on eventually going to Japan; I am now!

wat r da new parks yall r goin 2 dis summer cuz me and muh friendz wanna do sum too wat park is this one i like it it looks kewl.

Umm...WHAT!?!!?

I really think before you post here again you NEED to read this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31454

--Robb "Bantron is very hungry" Alvey

Sorry Robb, I honestly just wanted to see what you guys would say lol. I don't really write in that manner. But anyways, that TOT looks so much better than the Florida version.

Did they have any Sour Cream & Onion popcorn? I could imagine that tasting really good...

I don't think they had any "combos" of flavors in the popcorns at the parks. Single-flavored only. At least from what I saw, and most of them seemed to be over at TDS.

By the way, I had the cappuchino flavor at TDS. It was ok. Kept me awake, hah hah.

IMhO, most of the popcorns didn't really overkill on any of the flavors offered. Which made it a bit easier to enjoy ones like black pepper and curry, lol.

Did they have any Sour Cream & Onion popcorn? I could imagine that tasting really good...

I didn't SEE sour cream & onion, but then I didn't look at the Japanese maps (just picked them up as souvenirs), so I could have missed a few. There were six of us who explored Disney together, and I believe we had ten different flavours over the four days, each of us would buy one in turn and then share them out... Let's see if I can remember them all...

1. Chocolate (slightly disappointing, we had to fight over the darker bits with the most chocolate dust)

2. Strawberry (yummy but VERY sweet)

3. Curry (sooooo good)

4. Caramel (this was the most common I think, there were several stores for this)

5. Cappuccino (I would not have remembered this one if Bill didn't mention it)

6. Coconut (one of my favourites)

7. Sea Salt (I think? Or did I imagine this one?)

8. One that was over by Pooh that we ate whilst sheltering from the rain on the morning of Day Two... I want to say it was Honey flavoured, but I think that might just be association with Pooh... Guys?

9. Black pepper... Oh my GOD this was amazing!

That's it. I forget the other one. Grrr!!

I was sad that they didn't have Apple popcorn while we were there, I had seen that in Robb and Elissa's video and was looking forward to it. The food at TDR was amazing, I could probably name you everything we ate the whole four days. Damn good meals.

Great trip report, guys! I've been following the whole way, and what a treat it has been. Simply lovely pictures and commentary all the way round.

I've been lucky enough to ride all 3 versions of Tower of Terror so far (looking forward to ride the one in Paris soon), and I agree with you on most accounts.

DisneySea's is by far the most well themed and elaborate, while MGM (oops, I mean Hollywood Studios) has (arguably) the best ride portion (only because of the random drop profile for me though). Though I've never been a big fan of the 5th Dimension Room, which I felt was lackluster. I prefer the Mirror Effects to tell you the truth, as the 5th Dimension Room (while impressive for its horizontal movement) is reminiscent of rolling through a darkly lit basement/shopping center.

But as far as overall experience (which I feel every Disney fan takes into account), I think DisneySea's is far and away the most immersive and breathtaking.

Thank you for all your updates. They are really fun to read and watch.

As for the bad operations at Fujikyu, I believe what has been mentioned in the updates is correct. But what really made worse for you is that you guys went there during a 3-day weekend. From what I read, you must have visited the park on either of Sept. 15, 16 and 17. September 15 is a national holiday, and the holiday was observed on Monday, the 17th this year because it fell on Saturday. If anyone who is thinking to go to Fujikyu or any other parks like Disney parks in the future, you MUST avoid weekends or national holidays.

As for the theming at the park, I believe Fujikyu is not really die hard about making it like a "theme park." In Japan, we really don't call Fujikyu Highland a "tehma pahku" or "theme park." We call it "yuhenchi," which means just "amusement park." In Japan, a theme park and amusement park are sort of different. It's true that the park is old. They just keep adding or replacing world record breaking rides every 5 years or so (Fujiyama in 1996, Dodonpa in 2001 and Eejanaika in 2006). I read somewhere that they want to keep this interval. I think they really don’t care about the theming of the park but apparently only the theming of individual rides. Adding world record breaking rides is what they actually care and what keeps the park being popular and famous for.

I haven't been to Fujikyu for at least 17 years. During my three visits, I had never experienced long lines of more than half an hour. The last time I was there, they still had Moonsault Scramble, Giant Coaster and Double Loop, either of which doesn't exist. I was thinking to visit the park some time next year. But now I read your updates, the park is kind of off my list.

We just have to disagree, I guess. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven't ridden a coaster on American soil in years, but Fujikyu Highland is my favorite park, and I think the three major rides are world-class.

Since moving into my new job, the average amount of time I can spend at an amusement park is about 2 hours. Still, in the last couple of months I've managed a 50-minute run through Fujikyu, 2 hours at Hakkeijima Sea Paradise, and 2 hours at Universal Studios Japan. I've found the time to be adequate, though; in those collective 4 hours and 50 minutes, I racked up one ride each on Eejanaika, Dodonpa, Hollywood Dream and Spider-Man, and more impressively, three rides on Surf Coaster and four rides on Blue Fall. Of course, before switching jobs I was able to take more leisurely trips to parks, and from the beginning of the year through September, I visited a lot of places: Yomiuriland, Nasu, Nagashima, Tobu Zoo, etc. Also, countless trips to LaQua, where I used to occasionally get in a ride for breakfast before reporting for work. But for me it's always been about those six trips this year I've made to Fujikyu.

I have been there by myself, with my parents, in cozy twosomes with two separate attractive companions and once with my more attractive wife. I have been there with friends good and not-so-good. I have been there with Japanese folks and a small army of deranged American 20-somethings. I have twice visited the park for less than a couple of hours and twice went on overnight trips.

I have never had a bad time and never regretted a single trip there, even when we got rained out of Eejanaika for two days in a row. And unless they were lying when I asked them, each of my compatriots feel the same way.

Now here's the other thing. I really don't like Disneyland. Not that I've been there in a decade, but I'm sure it's more of the same with longer lines. I did, however, go to Disney Sea during the summer with no people in it, and even so I thought it was boring. My wife and I lasted somewhere between 3 and 4 hours before running out of stuff to do, so we drove back into the city ahead of schedule to pick up the kids from the nursery school. (Disney Sea did, however, make us want to take another trip to Venice, again scheduled in the colder months so as not to be overwhelmed by the smells.) More often than not, I think of theming as all that stuff in between the rides that tries to separate me from my nutrition plan and that clogs up the thoroughfares and prevents me from sprinting here and there.

So what can I say? I’m not trying to convince anybody that it's a great place and that you should go there. In fact, from the sounds of it most people will be inclined to hate it, so much so that they might find themselves happier spending a few hours at the Gyoza Museum. On the other hand, Fujikyu suits me and my expectations just fine. The holiday season is coming up here, but in my job I can't make any plans to take time off. But if I do find a day or two when I'm guaranteed to be work-free, even if it's on a weekend or New Year's Day, another Fujikyu trip would be about number 2 on my list of things I'd want to do. (Number 1 would be getting my ass kicked in a BJJ tournament . . .)

And yes, I know the operations are despicable.

Great updates thus far! Of course anything Disney is great appreciated by MWA! The TOT at DisneySea looks simply mazing! I'm very, very jealous of anyone who got to go there (and from what I've read & seen- you've got more than a few other fabu rides left just at DisneySea- JTTCOTE & 20K LUTS). Thanks again to all for sharing your stories & pics!

PS. Was that Dan on a water ride? OMG!

PPS. KidTums is a future goth ('cos she's got a Shiriki doll. And yes, I'm jealous!)

I want to visit Japan so bad. I really hope to go someday, especially so I can see those cool ToT effects myself! Oh, and get me some of that popcorn. Don't they have flavors like, strawberry and apple?

Honey

Coconut

Sea Salt

Salted

Black Pepper

Curry

Strawberry

Caramel

Chocolate

Am I missing any?

Curry always had the longest line. Curry on popcorn didn't sound good to me, so I skipped it.

Coconut Popcorn

I want the Black Pepper Flavor!! I am one of those strange ones ( me and Janet Jackson ala Poetic Justice) who LOVE fresh Crakced Black Pepper on their popcorn!! That makes me want to visit even moore now!!!! The Curry Flavor sounds NOT YUMMY!!!

When do you think you'll get to the Korea update and the full trip reports?

I wanted to get them up sooner, but the new job, having KidTums around, and off doing other non-coaster related trips at the moment has put those things on hold temporarily.

This next week I'm working on the Spain Trip DVD since I've like to have all the "trip stuff" done and finished within 6 months of each trip, and January will make it 6 months sine the Spain trip, so that's got to get out the door (the DVD, the photo CD, the big update, etc)....

I'll probably do more Japan and the Korea photo TRs when I can in between all that other work.

Believe it or not, these TR do take a LOT of time. Even doing that recent Christmas Party TR there was about 6 hours total invested....and that was split between a couple of days because it's not often that I even have 6 hours in a row that I can dedicate to this stuff lately!

They'll get done soon...I hope!

--Robb

Honey

Coconut

Sea Salt

Salted

Black Pepper

Curry

Strawberry

Caramel

Chocolate

Am I missing any?

Coconut Popcorn

I want the Black Pepper Flavor!! I am one of those strange ones ( me and Janet Jackson ala Poetic Justice) who LOVE fresh Crakced Black Pepper on their popcorn!! That makes me want to visit even moore now!!!! The Curry Flavor sounds NOT YUMMY!!!

Soda Pop at Disneyland (or is that the strawberry?)

I think the flavored popcorns at TDS became as much an "attraction" there, as did the landscaping and architecture of each port-of-call, lol. So many to choose from...

I remember the soda flavor in TDS. But not strawberry, so maybe that was at TDL, Adam.

I do remember seeing and eating more flavors at TDS than I do at TDL. Does that mean they were selling more flavors there at TDS?

Hmmm.