48 members have voted

1. 1. Is cheerleading a sport?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheerleading, as in, cheerleading on the side during a game? Definitely not.

Cheerleading, as in, competitive cheeleading? Not really.

I see somewhat of an argument with competitive cheerleading because it is a competition and requires athletic ability, but then again, how is it that much different than say, show choir? How do you draw the line. There are some pretty intense show choirs out there. Is show choir a sport? No. Is competitive cheerleading a sport? No. It's a performance that involves athletic ability.

OK, wow, this is weird. Im having a convo with someone about this right now.

I think competitive cheerleading is definately a sport. Infact, i believe it has the second highest injury rate for sports in colleges. (after football).

Check out these vids:

I mean, thats some crazy stuff right there. IMO, more talent is involved there than any other sport. I mean, i can pick up a basketball and play basketball just fine. But i sure as hell can't pull off no roundodoff handspring arabian roundoff handspring doublepunch-front roundoff whip, whip, full, whip, double tumbling pass.

I wish.

I don't think it totally qualifies as a sport. Just as Scaparri was saying, you could make a case for competition cheerleaders. If you make a case for them though, then Marching Band is definitely a sport! My high school band practices more than our football team at some points .

Gymastics is a sport, figure skating is a sport, so I definately think competitive cheerleading is a sport. Standing on the sidelines waving pompoms around isn't, but actual competitive cheerleading is.

A sport is defined as "a physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Competitive cheerleading fits that definition so I'd consider it a sport.

^You make a solid point with your gymnastics/figure skating view.

The definition that you were provided is still a bit on the loose end though. I almost feel like it's impossible to specifically define a "sport", 'cause under that definition, lots of things can be a sport, like show choir, marching band, and guard. I'm not criticizing you or your post by the way. Just pointing out that the definition given is still a bit on the broad side.

I guess it's just one of those opinion things that falls on a borderline.

^^ That's what was in the dictionary

But I do see your point, it is pretty broad and it is pretty hard to define sport.

I think with show choir and marching band the main focus on music, rather than the physical aspect. With cheerleading the focus is on the physical activity aspect, which is why I think it qualifies as a sport where as a marching band or a choir wouldn't.

In my opinion, a sport is anything where two or more people compete against each other in front of spectators. However anything that is done by drunken collage students is instantly stricken from record.

Cheerleading, in competition is a sport, and easily more so that cup stacking, in which I compete, and enjoy at tournaments.

I've had this argument before...several times before. I used be the assistant coach of an All-Star National Champion squad. Although I do think that most cheerleaders are incredible athletes, I do not think that it is a sport. I also don't view gymnastics, diving, synchronized swimming, or figure skating as sports. They are athletic competitions.

The definition of sport includes the little blurb about "being governed by a set of rules". The previously mentioned activities do in fact have rules, but they are ultimately governed by the individual, sometimes biased, judges. Two judges can view the same cheerleading routine and score them completely different. It's a matter of opinion and impression left on the judges. One team may have more difficulty, but the other team may have more enthusiasm...and the winner is left up to the judges. The outcome is subjective. That is not the case in sports.

In sports, there is always a clear winner. Someone or a team has either scored more goals, run faster, made more baskets, etc. A basketball team that scores more points won't ever lose the game because they didn't have enough crowd appeal...but this happens all the time in competitive cheerleading. The only sport I can think of where judges may make the final decision is boxing, and that's only because someone might end up dying if they don't.

People argue that because competitive cheerleading is difficult and requires stamina, then it qualifies as a sport. If that's the case, then working on a loading dock is a sport. Golf is considered a sport, but I've seen quite a few golfers that I would never consider "athletic". So the question should be: "Are cheerleaders athletes?". Yes, they definitely are.

My $.02

A few links:

Dunbar,my former high school squad (you may have seen them on Lifetime or MTV) http://youtube.com/watch?v=SBIoZMdFs5w

Cheer Athletics Wildcats from Dallas (where I live now)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYLeuMaEjTY

Top Gun All-Stars from Miami (one of the best routines ever)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pj4e0ZzhWds

I don't think it's a sport, but then again... Chess is a sport, weird..

Cheerleading isn't big in Holland though, so I don't think that I have a fair opinion about cheerleading. american football club Amsterdam Admirals, football club Ado Den haag and the basketballclubs in holland have cheerleaders.

but I think it's just a dancing performance and a good reason to go to Basketball

I say Cheerleading qualifies as a sport by definition.

Sport 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

And if that doesnt convince you, this will

7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

I think really anything competitive can be interpreted as a sport, however I think 'sport' is more of a loose term that covers at least 3 (maybe more) categories: Athleticism Competition and Game.

I do agree with supertrooper that cheerleading a competition, but the athleticism alone make it easy to consider it a sport. Stuff like bowling, billiards, chess, those are all games obviously, but the competition makes them sporty to some people. Football, baseball, basketball encompass all 3, so they are easily what most people would consider sports. Something like golf with its slower pace has the competition and game covered.

See what Im saying? I personally think that if something has at least 2 out of those 3 things then it can be considered in some form a sport.

As a cheer dad I spend almost as much time traveling to cheer comps as I do amusement parks...so maybe I'm a bit biased ...but I honestly can't see how anyone could see comp. cheer as anything but sport.

The amount of time our daughters team spends training at the gym, as well as, at home is enough to be considered sport by itself. Plus, as the girls get older they're encouraged to spend time lifting weights 3-4 days a week on top of their practice time.

My daughter is only 7, so the weightlifting doesn't apply to her as of yet. But she definently treats it as a sport. I'm not trying to change minds, just giving a POV.

I think with show choir and marching band the main focus on music, rather than the physical aspect. With cheerleading the focus is on the physical activity aspect, which is why I think it qualifies as a sport where as a marching band or a choir wouldn't.

Touche.

I don't think it's a sport, but then again... Chess is a sport, weird..

If chess is a sport, then I can't wait for the PJA, or, Professional Jenga Association, to be formed.

Like noted earlier in the thread, the thing that would mostly separate cheer leading from dancing or marching is what the activity highlights. Competitive cheering highlights the coordination and athleticism of the cheer leaders, where as ballet, and break dancing to a far lesser degree, tries to highlight the artistic movements in coordination with the music. Cheering music is more of a crack-fest of excitement, but you could easily change the music and use the same routine. Dancing relies directly on the music for its inspiration.

However, ballet dancing is in the Olympics and that still confuses me to a massive degree.

Yes, but chess is a "recognized" Sport. In fact, here is a list ofrecognized sports.

I wasn't doubting that people recognize chess as a sport. I'm just saying there is no way in hell it's a sport. If chess is a sport then what isn't sport? Everything would be a sport.

Anyway, I think people have almost convinced me to believe that competetive chearleading is a sport. The argument is a solid one.

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

I feel stupid I guess cheer leading is a sport. I stand corrected. I don't know about chess though.