TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Steel Coaster Poll Results Are In

I don't understand why Nitro does so well. It honestly did nothing for me at all. I found AP to be better in every way (setting, airtime, etc.). Oh well.

Still, looks like I really need to get out to SF:NE soon.

The reason is simple and common sense. People like Nitro more than you. Everyone has different tastes.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's my problem:

The Steel Poll has seemingly become very popular among many German coaster enthusiasts. For example, It is interesting to note that

Expedition GeForce had more riders take the poll than SFNE's Superman: Ride of Steel. Also, Phantasialand's Black Mamba had 50%

more riders participate in the poll than did the other 'new for 2006' ride in the top ten, SFoG's Goliath. Ironically, it seems that

those German voters, on average, rated EGF lower (especially in relation to Black Mamba) than did other voters.

LAME!

Thanks to Mitch for at least calling attention to them.

As for me, I ranked EGF above SRoS. They're both great, but Ge Force is a better ride, better setting, better trains (now!).

Kind of like the BCS, this just proves there is never going to be a perfect system in ranking coasters. Also Pyrenees only had 10 riders, is that really satiscally significant? Obviously this poll is our best method, but its far from having no flaws. I'm guessing there was a large amount of European enthusiasts voting.

I was surprised how well Superman Escape at Movie World did, I was expecting between 30 and 40 because of lack of comparisons to other coasters. It's a worthy coaster though, it has a lengthy themed section which is like a Universal ride which is unique for a high speed thrill coaster, and it has ride of steel like airtime (not as much though), swooping turns and passes back inside the building.

Superman Ride of Steel's result just shows the enduring poularity of a great hyper coaster, it's a shame there hasn't any new Intamin hyper's going up for quite a while - though isn't Tobu Zoo getting one?

If they had an Expedition Ge Force or New England Ride of Steel in Australia, I'd never leave the country.

probably because of the 3 coasters that beat Favorite wood: 2 are in Germany and one is in Australia, places that don't have superior wood coasters.

So that combined with the higher % of balloters from Germany in the Steel Poll may have caused this variance.

I understand. The fact that not everyone who did the steel poll did the wood poll (and vice-versa) likely also contributes to the difference

rollermonkey said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even on the ballot this year.

Parktrips said:

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Rollermonkey of coarse I was joking. I am just poking fun at how all you guys are arguing about what is the "best". In life everyone is going to have different opinions and everyone is not going to agree. There is no "best" coaster, everyone has there own favorite and Mitch is doing a great job at comparing them.

Time for my yearly "I just don't get S:ROS" post.

I think it's a pretty good coaster, but I've just never experienced a ride on it that I would consider absolutely mind-blowing. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I've ridden it many many times, and it'd be a great addition to any park lucky enough to get it, but I've just never experienced "coaster euphoria" on it.

Give me a B&M hyper or "Batman: The Ride" clone any day (particulary the ones at SFGAdv).

(first post, here goes)

Fantastic poll as usual. Creates a good bit of banter on theme park forums worldwide, I am sure.

Delighted to see so many European coasters in the top 10 - i'll be doing Alton Towers, Phantasialand, Holiday Park and Europa-Park in August and the chance to do 3 of the top 10's in a matter of days is really ver appealing.

Certainly delighted that Nemesis is at a record #3. Amazing to think that a ride some 14 years old is the favourite B&M and favourite inverted to date, according to the poll. Fab stuff.

Rather suprising how low the Accelerators do. Kingda Ka really is low... Stealth not exactly setting the poll alight, and Rita... well the less said about that the better!

I don't understand why Nitro does so well. It honestly did nothing for me at all.

Nothing at all? That is a sub-ridiculous statement. I'm not saying it is the end-all be-all of coasters. But don't paly if off like it's trash.

Just sticking up for my #1.

Nitro doesn't to much for me either. Add me to list of one of those people who just don't "get it."

I can easily do a day at Great Adventure, not ride Nitro, and not feel as though I missed out on anything.

Time for my yearly "I just don't get S:ROS" post.

I think it's a pretty good coaster, but I've just never experienced a ride on it that I would consider absolutely mind-blowing. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I've ridden it many many times, and it'd be a great addition to any park lucky enough to get it, but I've just never experienced "coaster euphoria" on it.

And I don't get people who say that about S:ROS. Honestly, while I like EGF over SROS, Superman is pretty darn close to what I would consider a "perfect" coaster to be. I don't get ANY ejector airtime on any B&M Hypers like to do on the Intamin's. It's just not there. I've seen the accelerometer reports to prove it.

But still, I understand it's your opinion, which is cool...one less person in the line in front of me for SROS and one less person in front of you in line for Nitro!

--Robb "Just my random opinion...." Alvey

I liked Nitro ... but then again, I haven't been on any of the Intamin Hypers.

Anybody else think that #34 for Tatsu is too high as well??? And to see that Mummy at USF is just below it.

I mean, I haven't ridden that many coasters and I'm not sure if Tatsu would be as high on my personal list. Maybe just around there. But if I had ridden 337 Steel Coasters (that's how many are on the list) it certainly wouldn't be #34.