TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneylands Tom Sawyer Island may get a Pirates makeover

Disneylands Tom Sawyer Island, one of the attractions personally designed and guided by Walt Disney himself 50 years ago, might be destined for the wrecking ball.

In its place will be a "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed area, which will contain an animatronic Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom, which will replace Becky Thatacher and Huck Finn.

The estimate cost for the redue is currently $28,000,000 with the opening set to coincide with the release of the third "Pirates" movie.

Here's a link www.miceage.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew something was going to happen to the wonder Island. BUT, Of course, Disney has to keep up with the times. And Im sure if Walt were still alive, hed say the same. The story isnt really as well known, compared to Pirates.

I personally think change can be good, Walt's spirit is still alive, even if the Island is redone. So no hard feelings on my part. I dont mind seeing it go.

-Ryan

Eh...I just am not feeling this one.

Its just too much. The Pirates-ride updates were done well.

But after Pirateizing 2 shops, 2 restaruants, staging a pirate show in NOS, pirate walk around characters, pirates hijacking the columbia....Pirates have their fingers on enough, IMO.

This one is just too much of a stretch to be a natural redo. I mean, New Orleans Square has a loose historical pirates connection--but the island is surrounded by the Rivers of America. It is supposed to be the frontier of America. To retheme the island to Pirates or the Caribbean, and the area would lose the ability to cohesivly tie in 3 separate themed lands.

And if Elissa makes fun of me for that, I'm going to kill her.

-Jahan [/code]

This one is just too much of a stretch to be a natural redo. I mean, New Orleans Square has a loose historical pirates connection--but the island is surrounded by the Rivers of America. It is supposed to be the frontier of America. To retheme the island to Pirates or the Caribbean, and the area would lose the ability to cohesivly tie in 3 separate themed lands.

-Jahan [/code]

Just change New Orleans square to Tortuga Port and have that get a makeover too! Then change Tom Sawyer Island to Pelegosto Island!! While they are at it, change the Haunted Mansion to having pirate ghosts!! Then that section of Disneyland would be set!!

In its place will be a "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed area, which will contain an animatronic Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom, which will replace Becky Thatacher and Huck Finn.

I didn't realize they had any anamatronics on the island....

Anyways, I also agree they're going over board with this whole pirates thing. It's cool that the movie is doing well for them, but it doesn't mean that people are going to disneyland just to become pirates. thats just one of many other reasons why people come. The main one? Probably the mouse. Don't see how Jack Sparrow would fit into the equation....

If I would have heard about this a month ago, I would have been really sad. Now that I have read Huckleberry Finn, I kind of don't want to be reminded of it in such an awesome place! But, it was one of my favorite places when I was little, so I guess I would be sad to see it go. I got really mad when they made my favorite place into a Tarzan Tree House. It kind of makes Disney Land less of a "magical" place when they get rid of the things that brings back memories of when I was a kid.

I'm torn between the two choices. Keep/Refurb?

On one hand, it sounds like it could really make TSI have some cool technology, and it would attract some of the younger crowd. But then again, one of the coolest things about TSI is how removed you feel from technology. It's old school, but in a really good way. But, if the refurbishment is done correctly, it could turn out to be really cool. But, could it be too much Pirates?

I don't know...

Well you know, I'm all for a refurb of the place. I visited the island on my last visit there in November of last year, and only because it had been 5-7 years since I had. It was really looking bad, Fort Wilderness was closed and looked as if it was being used as a backstage storage area. I didn't see any cast members on the island.

Also, I don't really see this as a good long term financial investment. Sure, the whole 'pirate' thing is a cool thing now. But just wait a few years after the 3rd movie is released.

_six

Hey Disney, I have an idea. How about make a new Tom Sawyer movie (ala the proposed Jungle Cruise movie). Believe me it will make money if it is family oriented. Take some of the movie profits and refresh the Islands, do a promo on Disney Channel and ABC,and you'll boost park attendance. Please no more Pirates. I'm afraid that before long there will be boys running around the parks in their "Disney Pirates" products just like the "Disney Princesses".

As much as I loved TSI as a kid, lately its pretty tame. No Fort Wilderness, several of the bridges and stuff closed, etc. If it was done correctly, Pirate Island could be pretty cool. But if they're just going to slap a statue of Sparrow hiding in the woods kinda like how they ruined Swiss Family Treehouse, I'd be pretty ticked. Lots of rope bridges and nets, keep the caves, add like a treasure room, do up the Mill right, it could be pretty cool. But yeah, they gotta stop there, no turning Splash into Pirate Mountain or anything like that.

Disneyland Paris has a more pirate themed area instead of a TSI and I enjoyed it. Of course, with ADA, all the coolness that the refurb could bring could all be washed down the drain.

^^ Yeah...Disney already did Huck and Finn back in the 90's. How can you not remember JTT's awesome performance in that movie!?!?

I agree with the fact that the islands need some sort of makeover (I'm including Magic Kingdom's here too) but I really don't think that Pirates is the way to do it. I would love to see them make the islands more like those crazy european obstacle courses that you see in their theme parks.

They should just go through with the interactive game thing they tested last year. That was fun. I'd rather have a rehabbed/updated Tom Sawyers Island with that game than a pirate island.

Besides, if this rumor is true, it too will be irrelevant in 5-10 years when the Pirates craze has gone away. Marketing people should not be allowed to make decisions.

To be honest, I'm all for the re-theming of Tom Sawyer's Island. Yes, yes, there's a certain corporate mentality pushing for the change (see the MiceAge article), but in this case, I like the general idea.

Opinion 1: People love pirates. Kids, adults, teenagers. There's a certain mystique about them. Treasure hunters and pleasure seekers--the ultimate bad boys. Arrrrrr! And now put that whole thing on an island! Double Arrrrrr!

Opinion 2: Tom Sawyer Island is one of those places that Disney fans absolutely adore because it begs to be explored, like New Orleans Square or Snow White's Grotto, or the dragon's cave at DLP. A re-theming won't diminish that. (At least, I hope not. If I have to enter or exit through a gift shop somewhere, I'm gonna verbally torch the place. Arrrrr!)

Opinion 3: It was in need of an update. No denying it. And if more people can enjoy it, then Arrrrrr!

Opinion 4: I look at it like the new PotC. The Imagineers would probably love to 'plus' this area. The possibilities make me scream, "Arrrrrr!"

Opinion 5: Not sure exactly how the theming works with the Rivers of America and the Mark Twain. I'd love to see some concept art...

^^ Yeah...Disney already did Huck and Finn back in the 90's. How can you not remember JTT's awesome performance in that movie!?!?

I agree with the fact that the islands need some sort of makeover (I'm including Magic Kingdom's here too) but I really don't think that Pirates is the way to do it. I would love to see them make the islands more like those crazy european obstacle courses that you see in their theme parks.

How about "Tom Sawyer II - Injun ( Native American) Joe's Cave. That would be right out out of the Disney playbook. II, III, IV, and so on....

Opinion 4: I look at it like the new PotC. The Imagineers would probably love to 'plus' this area. The possibilities make me scream, "Arrrrrr!"

They want to do a PoTC theme so they won't need to use the Imagineers. It'll probably end up like that playground that replaced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at the Magic Kingdom. Makes me scream arrrgh!

How about "Tom Sawyer II - Injun ( Native American) Joe's Cave. That would be right out out of the Disney playbook. II, III, IV, and so on....

he died in the first one though.

If I would have heard about this a month ago, I would have been really sad. Now that I have read Huckleberry Finn, I kind of don't want to be reminded of it in such an awesome place!

Huh?

I recently read Huck Finn, and found it to be boring. I thought it was going to be a story about Huck's adventures, but it turned out to talk about slavery and stuff. Now whenever I go to Disney Land (The awesome place) Tom's island is going to remind me of that book, and I hated that book, so in a way, I would be happy to see it get turned into a pirate island.

^ Have you read "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"? That book is more of an adventure along the lines you're looking for, and lots of stuff in that book tie into things on the island.

Huck Finn is a bit more mature both subject matter and meaning, I guess it's understandable that younger people hate it.