TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Mirabilandia has that spinning bin system where people in the end of the queue line getting ready to be assigned seats place their loose articles on iSpeed. Sure enough, you return to the station, and the bin has circled around with your stuff in it. Ferrari World also has the system of tupperwares and bins prior to boarding but near the end of the queue line with attendants there to check it in and give you a tag to go on the ride with. You collect your stuff at the exit.

There's a lot of creative solutions, but they take creativity and often actual labor to make happen. The easier thing is to try and make thousands of people use a block of 150 lockers and shrug when you run out of them.

Changing direction for a minute...what's going on with the bugs at Cedar Point!!??!

I thought in the past the muffleheads were gone by June?? This trip the first week of August had the WORST case of bugs I've ever dealt with at the park. Is this a global warming thing or what? It's one thing hitting them at 70-100mph on various rides, but there were also normal guests complaining about their $400+/night hotel room balconies being unusable due to so many bugs on everything that they couldn't even see through the screen.

The bugs were absolutely insane for us this trip as well. We just got back yesterday. We've been going to CP during late July / early August for a 4 night stay for 4 days now, and this was by far the worst we've experienced. Made the mistake of hitting MF at night in the front (we've done it before with only a few splats here and there) and it was torture. Had to squint and keep mouth pressed tight, and had to change clothes back at Breakers. Even just walking through certain sections of the park we had to look out for swarms of those things.

I've read articles about all kinds of insect populations thriving and sticking around longer these days.

I'm no entomologist, but the mufflehead population supposedly gets suppressed during harsh winters with cold lake water, so it'd make sense that hotter seasons with warm water could give them a boost. Mosquitoes are thought to be rising because pesticide use is less prevalent now and has allowed their populations to return. Ticks & Lyme disease have risen because populations of host animals that ticks parasitize have also risen.

And then across the board these insects are getting weeks-long head starts in warmer spring weather, and this early overpopulation isn't kept in check by birds and other predators.

Just wait until the fall spiders come out with their silverware and bib napkins. Mean Streak rarely had much of a line in its later years, but people are going to freak out when they remember that the long path in the Steel Vengeance structure is home to hoards of huge, crazy spiders that set up shop right over their heads!

Edited by Samuel

Changing direction for a minute...what's going on with the bugs at Cedar Point!!??!

I thought in the past the muffleheads were gone by June?? This trip the first week of August had the WORST case of bugs I've ever dealt with at the park. Is this a global warming thing or what? It's one thing hitting them at 70-100mph on various rides, but there were also normal guests complaining about their $400+/night hotel room balconies being unusable due to so many bugs on everything that they couldn't even see through the screen.

Yeah, getting smacked in the face by a bug at 90 mph is no fun. I've been smoked just below the eye by what felt like could have been a beetle or June bug. It even left a really minor welt. I'm surprised more people don't complain about actually being struck in the eye by a lager or more dense bug. I keep waiting for it to happen to me and it makes me a little apprehensive to ride. Avoiding the bugs is one reason we really preferred our trip in late May this year, a week or two before mufflehead season.

Don't slow operations and lower the satisfaction of the guests who don't bring all this stuff to the park.

Guest satisfaction? But how many people come as well prepared as coaster enthusiasts with zip up pockets, cargo pockets, and fanny packs (uhg...)? I found it much more relaxing at Hershey and Knoebels to be able to use a bin on every ride to put our hats, glasses, and the stuffed animals that we won for our four legged son. I think most of the general public would rather have it this way. I just wish parks would get on the ball like Robb has experienced and prepare the guests ahead of time for this, if not assist them. From his explanation, that seems like the best of both worlds.

The easier thing is to try and make thousands of people use a block of 150 fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and shrug when you run out of them.

And lets not forget this annoyance....

IMG_9025.thumb.JPG.c5908e35cd7b58fb9865671ff6aab740.JPG

In pretty much EVERY case where I went to use a locker I was stuck standing in line behind 3 or 4 people struggling to use whatever kiosk system the park had installed. Either due to user error, or more often times poorly maintained hardware as many screens weren't very responsive, credit card readers didn't work, etc. There were at least more than a few times where I went through the entire process only to not have the card reader work and then I had go to stand in ANOTHER line at a different kiosk.

Should I even mention the fact that NOT ONCE did the "transferring locker" work at Cedar Point no matter how many times I pressed the "End Rental" button? Every single time I went to go rent another locker it would tell me "You've already rented a locker" and I'd have to go through the process to cancel it out.

Make no mistake about it, these locker systems absoultely SUCK HARD and it only impacts the guest experience and increases the amount of annoyance and frustration you have during your day at a park.

Actually, there was one exception to this.... Knoebels! Here's where I went to get a "non mandatory" locker that I needed to store one of my bags in after we were doing filming. Guest what? I put 50 cents in and it gave me a locker for the ENTIRE DAY. No hassle. No annoyance. And did I mention it was FIFTY CENTS???

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.2e19778c932723ab0c1cfc517c958acf.JPG

Remember these little keys?

IMG_0457.thumb.JPG.d4b5afdd015260559b40b8640d2ea87f.JPG

They worked just fine for many many years!

Knoebels has all day 50 cent lockers? Of course they do.

Okay, you know I don't care about this locker stuff as much as most but I'll totally agree with this one. The kiosks suck. Personally I don't mind the policy but please have less sucky systems that can handle the demand.

Great Adventure also uses that "BestLockers" system (that's their name, I'm not trying to beat the bunny filter, I'd never do such a thing) and on opening day while attempting to ride El Toro I had one refuse to take cash and then take 3 credit cards to finally work with two of the cards getting frozen for suspicious activity because of the dumb $1 locker fee was apparently "suspicious" which required follow up phone calls during regular business hours and sitting on hold with the bank.

Then we were at Cedar Point last weekend and on day one, we left everything in the car and decided to go back but I noticed that for the start of Early Entry the line to get in line usually crosses the tracks and there was (I thought) plenty of time to leave my group, get a locker and meet up with them again before they ever entered the queue so we opted to do that on day two. That said, despite the fact that the line was only 3 people deep at my kiosk it took forever for anyone to complete the transaction (they also use Bestfluffy... yeah, we'll call them Bestfluffy) because they had to keep re-entering the code and the brightness on the screen is totally as low as it can get. Basically I was forced to choose between just putting my phone in my zippered pocket and riding anyway or having hundreds of people pass us who (let's be honest) probably lied and had their phones in their pockets so I'd get screwed because I was following the rules.

I of course took the latter option and got the locker. I'm a boy scout and an upstanding citizen.

Edited by coasterbill

You guys are making this loose articles policy feel insane.

You can't even have your wallet and cell phone in your pockets? I usually have those on every ride at magic mountain. X2 is the only ride with a stricter loose article policy. I usually bring a tote bag to all Magic mountain rides and leave it in the bins or on the platform. The Electric EEl in SWSD tells you to take stuff out of your pockets but I rarely do and no one really checks.

I will be wearing cargo shorts, can I at least have my cell and wallet in my buttoned up pockets?

Do they have all day portable locker rentals like Magic Mountain? You know where you pay one price to use the lockers located at each individual ride? How much?

Oh and should I be worried about fast lane plus selling out? I was told not to buy it in advance, i guess because my pass will give me a discount when I get it in the park. Does it go on sale during early entry? Will I be fine to enjoy the early entry short lines and then immediately buy fast lane plus at opening?

The cell phone loose article policy applies only to your cell phone or items that you can not keep within your pockets. It's been stated repeatedly that you cannot keep your phone in your pocket even with a zipper or button.

As far as FL goes, wait a few days out and see what the weather looks like. It there's not a ton of rain throughout the entire day I would buy it online. Don't go to the kiosk at the front of the park to redeem it or you will be waiting in a line. Many other shops and stalls can take care of that for you.

Edited by prozach626

I personally feel the bug issue is worse than the locker issue. Both suck, but not equally. I got my steel vengeance fix back in May so I'm good on not going back until they get both fixed...One more wishlist item before I return...Please make Runaway Rapids not look like dirty bath water...It's gross. Other than that...I love you Cedar Point!

Remember that Platinum Passholders get a free upgrade to plus for the price of regular but it seems to be an "in park only" offer. If you have a Platinum Pass, DO NOT buy online. Also, don't waste time during Early Entry buying Fastlane. Fastlane doesn't start until 10:00 anyway so just buy it then.

The Electric EEl in SWSD tells you to take stuff out of your pockets but I rarely do and no one really checks.

Ugh, you're an awful human that is adding to this mess and not helping it.

While I think the policy is horrible and stupid, you know what I do? I RESPECT IT!!! And I hope that a better solution is presented in the future.

But by saying "They tell me to take my stuff out of my pocket, but I'm an entitled Californian so I don't bother to listen to them and I do whatever I want to" just makes you one of the worst people on the planet and I hate you because of stupid people JUST LIKE YOU is why we have these obnoxious rules in the first place.

Get off our forum. You're not welcome here.

Edited by robbalvey

But by saying "They tell me to take my stuff out of my pocket, but I'm an entitled Californian so I don't bother to listen to them and I do whatever I want to" just makes you one of the worst people on the planet and I hate you because of stupid people JUST LIKE YOU is why we have these rules in the first place.

I was waiting for someone to chime in on that.

For working with with lockers, especially bestlockers, they are a pain in the a$$ to get fix. With the issues robb and bill said, with credit card readers, that was the number one most annoying thing about them. Dont even get me started on when the cash readers would go down.

Everyone should really follow Knoebels and go back to the old lockers.

Ok so no cell but I can keep my wallet.

I am having issues finding info on LOCK er rentals. Will I need to rent one all day use one or do they have an all day pay one price option for ones at the rides?

I just saw Valravn has exclusive ride time on Tuesday but of course I am not there till Wednesday Thursday this week.

The Electric EEl in SWSD tells you to take stuff out of your pockets but I rarely do and no one really checks.

While I think the policy is horrible and stupid, you know what I do? I RESPECT IT!!! And I hope that a better solution is presented in the future.

But by saying "They tell me to take my stuff out of my pocket, but I'm an entitled Californian so I don't bother to listen to them and I do whatever I want to" just makes you one of the worst people on the planet and I hate you because of stupid people JUST LIKE YOU is why we have these obnoxious rules in the first place.

Well actually I don't think they tell you to take cell phones out of pockets. It might be on the signage. Can't find anything about it online but its loose articles that are prohibited on the Eel. In any case secured in a cargo pocket is just fine. So you hate Californians in general or all people. I am not directly violating any rules and have never lost an article on any ride. So your hate is ignored and your forum is appreciated.

Edited by blaisedinsd

Well actually I don't think they tell you to take cell phones out of pockets. It might be on the signage. In any case secured in a cargo pocket is just fine. So you hate Californians in general or all people. I am not directly violating any rules and have never lost an article on any ride. So your hate is ignored and your forum is appreciated.

I hate self-entitled lying assholes which you appear to be making a perfect example of being one. Get off our forum. You're not welcome here.

Edited by robbalvey

I am hoping the bugs are gone by the time we go in three weeks but it is whatever if they are still there.

Is the floatinglocker something that Cedar Point is really doing? where I can just take my stuff and drop it in one next to each ride all day for one payment. If it is can I sign up at any of the rides that require storage or will I need to do this at the entrance of the park?

:lol: Between that last post and trying to beat the bunny filter you're really batting 1000 today.

Well you are right about one thing, that is the LAST POST they are going to be making here on the forum!

Edited by robbalvey

I went mid June last year, and was greeted with a ridiculous amount of those muffleheads. Went this year at the same time, and didn't see very many of them. Perhaps their "Season" shifted later by a month or two?

^Yeah, the amount of bugs in webs I saw led me to be very frightened about the size of the spiders that must be around!

Ohio has bad spiders?! Tennessee is just two states below and has far larger spiders! Plus they're a little less venomous up here.

Should I even mention the fact that NOT ONCE did the "transferring fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" work at Cedar Point no matter how many times I pressed the "End Rental" button? Every single time I went to go rent another fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo it would tell me "You've already rented a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" and I'd have to go through the process to cancel it out.

Has anyone else had experiences with the new “moveable lockers” system? I was lookin into it for my CP trip at the end of August. But based on that it doesn’t work right, I am thinking about steering clear of it. I’m having some wishful thinking hoping maybe this was an isolated event and it typically works, so I am curious if others’ experiences with this system.

Should I even mention the fact that NOT ONCE did the "transferring fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" work at Cedar Point no matter how many times I pressed the "End Rental" button? Every single time I went to go rent another fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo it would tell me "You've already rented a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" and I'd have to go through the process to cancel it out.

Has anyone else had experiences with the new “moveable fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo” system? I was lookin into it for my CP trip at the end of August. But based on that it doesn’t work right, I am thinking about steering clear of it. I’m having some wishful thinking hoping maybe this was an isolated event and it typically works, so I am curious if others’ experiences with this system.

It worked, but I had to go through the process at each new kiosk to cancel out the locker at the previous location because the "end rental" button never worked. It's still a deal if you plan on renting more than 5 lockers at $2 each. If not, just rent one at each individual ride.

Ohio has bad spiders?! Tennessee is just two states below and has far larger spiders! Plus they're a little less venomous up here.

It's not an Ohio thing or which state has the largest spider -- it's simply an amusement park on a lake with a lot of lights attracts insects, which attracts spiders. Those orb weavers get free 24/7 dining plans from August-October.