TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

They are finally laying sod for Route 76 today. After that it should just be getting the Antique Auto's on the track and some other minor finishes. Hopefully they can get it all done by Friday.

image.thumb.jpg.4f98cffb060975b974ff8015d63d56df.jpg

Close to finishing.

S&S towers have a maintenance mode that the mechanics can use to ride the passenger cart to the top of the tower.

This serves 2 purposes:

1: Inspect the tower on the way up/down

2: Easier and less time consuming than climbing the access ladder to the top.

Maintenance will stand on top of the passenger cart that I circled in red and attach their fall protection harness to the cart.

^

Why so? Steel Venom's holding brake works just fine. I find it to be a fun part of the ride because it happens so suddenly, and I love hearing the GP freak out about it.

I'm okay with the idea of the holding brake. I've been on Possessed at Dorney and Wicked Twister so I've tried both options and I don't really have a strong preference: while the back twisted spike is fun, the straight one with the holding on Possessed also is (I think the fact that it isn't twisted enhances the weightlessness feeling). I did enjoy WT more but that was because I found the launch more forceful.

^Possessed delivered me a strong blow to the head as we entered the twisty part of the front spike for the second time, but that was all. I mean, rides as simple as these don't really have an excuse to be bumpy!

^

Except for some light headbanging on the way back down the front spike the second time around, Steel Venom is a pretty smooth ride. Also, that headbanging is really only felt in the first 3 rows or so. Not sure why some of you think the whole ride is bumpy.

Since the construction cam is down here are some more pictures of Route 76 from VF's GM Dave Fraizer's Twitter account. 24 more hours until opening day!

1128085307_AAs.thumb.jpg.a00283b90927bd27babd36a607b810fb.jpg

A shot of the Antique Auto's loading station.

Scrambler.thumb.jpg.10490f71d2ffba5a78a45c9e5d4c3d5c.jpg

Local TV crew doing a segment. Check out the row of dual lights on Northern Lights in the background and the refurbished Scrambler.

^

Yeah, I saw those Valleyfair segments on Kare 11 this morning. Everything looks great! I really wish I could be there tomorrow, but I have prior obligations to attend to. I'll be there on Saturday though (T-minus 48 hours and counting).

^ I will be there, I want to see all the changes and definitely want to check out the track work on Renegade and High Roller. Hopefully they have the Renegade train with the new test seats running that garyman6 was talking about. Going to be a little cold riding in the morning with a high of only 56.

aa_s.jpg

I see what they did there!

Small new areas such as this, the boardwalk at Knotts and the new Gemini midway at CP make me intrigued as to how CF intends to continue this trend at other parks. Route 76 is looking pretty good so far.

aa_s.jpg

I see what they did there!

Small new areas such as this, the boardwalk at Knotts and the new Gemini midway at CP make me intrigued as to how CF intends to continue this trend at other parks. Route 76 is looking pretty good so far.

I can assure you, Route 76 looks awesome! I've see it first hand already! Can't wait to try Northern Lights! It will also be fun to drive the new Caddie's around with Wild Thing roaring above my head!

So how is/was opening day for those of you that are/were there? I have a few questions:

1) How is Northern Lights? Is it thrilling or just fun? I want to know if it's worth taking a spin on when I go.

2) How have Renegade and High Roller changed with the track maintenance? I hope Renegade has lost that headache-inducing rattle.

3) How is the new queue line TV system? What do they show besides weather and queue times?

So how is/was opening day for those of you that are/were there? I have a few questions:

1) How is Northern Lights? Is it thrilling or just fun? I want to know if it's worth taking a spin on when I go.

2) How have Renegade and High Roller changed with the track maintenance? I hope Renegade has lost that headache-inducing rattle.

3) How is the new queue line TV system? What do they show besides weather and queue times?

From the pictures RCJunkie texted me. Everything looks awesome! My favorite part is seeing the little details put into ROUTE 76. Definitely excited to see this park this summer!

Hey, my 200th post!

1) I would not know because it was not running from 10:00 am until 2:30 pm when I left. They had some maintenance guys working on it with the top center cone off but it did not run.

2) Renegade and and High Roller are both running better. The re-tracking has paid off! Renegade has new wood from the station to the base of the lift hill. Then there is new wood from the base of the drop hill, over the first hill and halfway around the big turn around. Then more new wood on the hill after the turnaround, the right turn after that and the left turn going under the lift hill. After that I did not see much new wood but they must has made adjustments because it is now running like it was 5 years ago. No more rattle for a headache. Thank you Valleyfair maintenance crew, your work is much appreciated! I can re-ride my favorite ride in the park multiple times.

3) They have music videos (old and new, actually saw Michael Jackson's Thriller video), current weather and by the hour forecasts, sports updates, some ads and park trivia. The park trivia is cool because it is tailored and about VF. No too much advertising and it changes fast enough to not be annoying and for now is better than Six Flags for sure. Hopefully that does not change. No wait times yet.

I should have a full trip report up by tomorrow afternoon with all the changes in the park once I get the chance. Hopefully NL will be running when I go again Sunday.

I had the opportunity to ride northern lights today!

1) Its a lot of fun, I was very surprised! It had a lot of airtime and was actually pretty fast!

2) Its ok, I got a pretty bad headache on renegade,i'm just not a huge wooden coaster fan.

3) It was pretty cool, I saw some REALLY weird music videos, they did have a constant cycle going of mostly the same stuff, They did have trivia and sports updates which was a nice touch. Mr.Frazier really did well with route 76

^Good to hear that they got NL up and running. I was going to do a trip report highlighting all the off season changes but did not get to try the biggest change of all in NL. I will wait now until I get to ride it Sunday to post the report. Thanks for the update.

I'm at Valleyfair right now, and just got off High Roller. I had one of my best rides in a long time on it, but I noticed that it now has individual seatbelts (it still has the buzz bars). Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this strip High Roller of it's ACE Coaster Classic status?

My opinions on the other coasters:

-I had two really fun rides on Corkscrew. Not amazing, but really fun.

-Renegade is much smoother and no longer headache inducing. The back seat airtime was wicked today.

-Excalibur was pretty much the same as last year. A few bumpy moments, but nothing too bad.

-Wild Thing was a little sluggish, but there's plenty of time for it to improve this year.

-Haven't done Steel Venom yet. Will update once I have.