TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Friday night- a ghost town. After 11 when most of the people that were there had left, was able to reride both Renegade and Wild Thing.

Saturday Night: A Mob scene and I wound up not riding anything because the lines were so long. They ran out of the necklaces and substituted a standard flashing trick-or-treat type commercial product, which aren't nearly as comfortable as the lanyards.

It was kind of amusing, a couple of tween girls needed to meet their parents on the other side of Blood Creek. They asked a security guard "Can you walk through with us, and tell them not to scare us". The guard said, I can walk with you but I can tell them that. I followed at discreet distance figuring this was going to be good, and it was.

Mad Mouse was running again. The line wasn't as long as you'd expect relative to the number of people, so maybe the new system is working.

Hopefully the nice weather holds up, Saturday was a bit too windy for good fog, but both nights the weather was beautiful.

Tried the "Sizzling Burger" from one of the food trucks. It wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be, but maybe I just don't like Sriracha sauce (I had never tried it before)

I'm planning to go on Halloween will be my first time at the haunt on Halloween. I was thinking of getting there around 3pm. Should I do the haunt first or the rides? Which has longer lines the haunt or the rides and roller coasters. My plan is do the haunt first couple of hours till 5 then do the rides and coasters rest of the evening if I can get on anything. Had Renegade been running two trains and is the extreme swing running both swings plus the Power Tower running one turbo and space shot? I have that weekend off I'm planning to visit last three days of the season.

Had a good last visit of the season to Valleyfair today. Low crowds, short lines, plenty of laps, and nice weather made for a fun day. Thought I'd share some photos here.

image.thumb.jpeg.d043b68435ce8acca2a8d4bee838d5a4.jpeg

The location of the new flyers for next year.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b186740976f553c7b235a13e7da5894.jpeg

Amphitheater stage is gone but the bleachers remain.

image.thumb.jpeg.30fcd92a2c7f0a2211d73fd05794dfce.jpeg

All-Wheels Extreme. *yawn*

image.thumb.jpeg.0075e5f4d06072d0edeb036ed0562c81.jpeg

Mad Mouse was running much more efficiently with the new PLC.

image.thumb.jpeg.a2ea8b918eb4992a82f400b6a2d398da.jpeg

Renegade's entrance with a few Halloween decorations.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e8b5f16f3861428eb1dd61c313b53fd.jpeg

Corkscrew.

image.thumb.jpeg.caa569906ac41f292822bbdd4dcd6d08.jpeg

Xtreme Swing.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1d7692e4b1b53ba84686068f9440078.jpeg

Empty stations are always nice.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f4e89dce8da60053fbbe2e85647ee97.jpeg

Steel Venom was down. :(

image.thumb.jpeg.bc4c540c69ebd82548199c529bc69c05.jpeg

Fall colors in the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.d1895d4cb50b55ec428bdaaed0cef506.jpeg

Arriving at the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.f821a76682a5fffe7e0de736b8d4b5ab.jpeg

Last ride of the season for me was Wild Thing.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f475eb41a2bb39f5ab13d772dcbe0d5.jpeg

Thanks for another fun season, Valleyfair.

I saw the Chateau, Hellside, Zombie High, and Bloodshed on the "Great Pumpkin Fest". Chateau and the Corn Maze (Hellside?) are listed as "mild", and Zombie and Bloodshed are "not for children". I was going to ask Frazier if I could see Chateau some time, but it looks like I can just go earlier on a Saturday, or a Sunday.

Does this mean that they're letting people go through the Hellside and Chateau without the monsters and Zombie and Bloodshed still have them? Or are some of the props in the latter two something that might scare children?

Everything was one train, Wild Thing included. Mad Mouse and High Roller were the only lines. Even Renegade was a one train, two train max, wait.

Hellside is open to walk through with nothing scary. Bloodshed was open. It was running its normal program.

I can see it lasting a few years, but on the other hand it's not like they're sticking a bunch of money in. How much does it cost to demolish the stage (which would have to be done anyway no matter what goes there) and build a couple of skateboard ramps? Maybe still the spot for a dark ride in a few years.

It's Knotts Scary Farm kind of the flagship for the Haunt, not Cedar Point? I saw a bunch of YouTube Videos on it, and it looks like they had some cool mazes.

That's really interesting.

I don't go in the mazes, but find it interesting that some last forever and some are gone after only a couple of years? Is this based attendance, or are some concepts considered core and some rotating. Chateau has been around forever and now they even built a permanent structure for it, but Weikillou didn't last long at all.

It's probably a fair characterization that Valleyfair has a decent flat ride and kids section, and amount the worst roller coasters and waterpark in the chain. Is there a characterization of Valleyfair's haunt relative to the others?

Is the move to permanent haunt locations something that's coming from the top, or specific to Valleyfair?

Can't wait to get off work so I can go back tonight. Renegade at Night and Corkscrew and Power Tower with the fog.

I always wonder why they choose to get rid of some mazes. I always think Hellside Farm is lame and the Clown one was awesome. Yet they demoted the clown one to a "scare zone" and hellside farm is still around. One time when I was walking in a few years ago they gave me a free fast pass to review their mazes ( they wanted me to rank them). I remember clearly saying the clown one was my absolute favorite and my last favorite was hellside farm. The next year they removed the clown one!! Apparently I was the only one who felt that way? Oh well.

That's really interesting.

I don't go in the mazes, but find it interesting that some last forever and some are gone after only a couple of years? Is this based attendance, or are some concepts considered core and some rotating. Chateau has been around forever and now they even built a permanent structure for it, but Weikillou didn't last long at all.

It's probably a fair characterization that Valleyfair has a decent flat ride and kids section, and amount the worst roller coasters and waterpark in the chain. Is there a characterization of Valleyfair's haunt relative to the others?

Is the move to permanent haunt locations something that's coming from the top, or specific to Valleyfair?

Can't wait to get off work so I can go back tonight. Renegade at Night and Corkscrew and Power Tower with the fog.

I was really surprised that they took out weikilou quite honestly. I wish they kept that and Carnevil around. From what i've heard Carnevil was one of the better mazes.

Not sure. All I know is here at WOF, all of Mazes (excluding 2) are in permanent structures and they do not get torn down after the season. We have 2 outdoor mazes, but Cornstalkers stays up year round and the stalks are replaced yearly. London Terror (which is also outside) stores it's props in various buildings during the Haunt off season. Asylum Island is the only indoor haunt that gets torn down - it is housed in Chickie and Petes in OOF.

To me it just makes more sense to have permanent structures. It allows for more detailed mazes, as can be seen in Blood on the Bayou and Zombie High - our two newest mazes.

My try at what haunts are at what parks

Notable: At least four parks have: Toys, Voodoo, and Wax Museum, and Witches but ValleyScare does not. And Knotts Scary Farm has by far the most unique mazes.

The Knotts Tooth Fairy maze (which morphs into savage dentistry as you go on) would seem to be one that would push a lot of people's buttons.

Things I witnessed this weekend:

Two teenage girls taking a selfie with a clown. He politely posed for the picture and then scared them once they had taken it.

Monsters in Ghillie suits and Mannequin Guy getting people that had let their guard down because they were outside the Scare Zones on their way to out to the front entrance.

Mannequin Guy chasing a teenage girl an entire lap around the midway.

Teenage guy came wearing kneepads or something. He thought it would be fun to scare me so he slide towards me and then jumped over the Blood Creek fence. I saw him coming a mile away and security saw the whole thing and yelled at him big time.

My try at what haunts are at what parks

Notable: At least four parks have: Toys, Voodoo, and Wax Museum, and Witches but ValleyScare does not. And Knotts Scary Farm has by far the most unique mazes.

The Knotts Tooth Fairy maze (which morphs into savage dentistry as you go on) would seem to be one that would push a lot of people's buttons.

Things I witnessed this weekend:

Two teenage girls taking a selfie with a clown. He politely posed for the picture and then scared them once they had taken it.

Monsters in Ghillie suits and Mannequin Guy getting people that had let their guard down because they were outside the Scare Zones on their way to out to the front entrance.

Mannequin Guy chasing a teenage girl an entire lap around the midway.

Teenage guy came wearing kneepads or something. He thought it would be fun to scare me so he slide towards me and then jumped over the Blood Creek fence. I saw him coming a mile away and security saw the whole thing and yelled at him big time.

Just a side note, Boneyard at WoF is not a graveyard. It's themed to orcs.

Another thing to note about the Knott's mazes - They also manage to cover lots of traditional themes within the unique maze lineup. For example, Paranormal Inc. combines ghosts/hauntings with the hospital/asylum theme. Trick or Treat, while centered on the Green Witch, satisfies the need for a classic "haunted house" environment (entrance, library/office, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, attic).

INSIDER REPORT

Cedar Fair has a deal in place with EA which allows them to use their Plants vs Zombies, Battlefield, Need for Speed, and possibly their EA Sports properties (NFL would have to approve...) Apparently each park will either receive a Triotech EA dark ride, or a Shooter ride that replaces action theater. The shooter rides replacing the action theater will solely be installed in the parks that have action theaters, but they have no rush putting them in. I will find the official document. What will VF get? When?

I'm considering applying for a summer job at Valleyfair next season. Is anyone allowed to live in the employee dorms, or are they only for international workers? The dorms would be my only choice because I live too far away from the park to be able to commute back-and-forth every day.