TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Just throwing this out. This is not official but maybe a sign. Has everyone seen the Valleyfair facebook home page lately? There is a new pic of a fairy land type of Valleyfair that looks pretty cool. You can go through it and see Power Tower, Wild Thing, Steel Venom (Wicked Twister), Renegade, Extreme Swing, etc. and then on the far left is a purple and white roller coaster with what looks to be an inversion. What is that? Could they be dropping a hint? Hmmm?????

Thoughts anybody.

Ooh, looks like it's gonna be an Arrow. Should be fun.

Also, going off of that, WOF apparently is adding a B&M-looking hyper, and Dorney's lined up for a GCI.

Honestly, I really hate being the negative/pessimistic guy on here... I just can't help but try to shield you all from the disappointment you frequently set yourselves up for. I know how fun it is to speculate, but there's a line somewhere. I mean well - I promise.

I am checking with them a couple of time a week.

On an unrelated note, here's a question just for fun, for anyone who wants to play along. If you had control of VF's next three additions/expansions/etc, what would you build? Money is not a primary object, but try to be realistic. What three additions over... let's say the next 10 years... would be the smartest moves for the park in your mind? Try to think as an owner/business person and not primarily as an enthusiast. This is not necessarily what you want, but what you think would best improve the park as a whole.

For me, three things that would be important are:

1. A replacement of the Flume, preferably one that pays substantial tribute to the original. It should be scenic, feature some surprises interspersed with relaxing sections (I'm thinking of the tunnel with the mini-drop followed by the waterfall contrasted with the gentle cruise over the pond). As much as I like the heavily themed, semi-enclosed flume rides, that's not what we lost, and I would want a replacement that makes restitution for what happened in 2009. We have the other style down the road at NU. Also, a flume is a true family attraction. Not only are most people able to ride it, but most would also be excited to ride it. Finally, people obviously care about nostalgia. Just look at the response to the initial removal of antique autos, the recent removal of the classic neon "Valleyfair!" sign, every comment on the recent "tell us a memory of the flume" facebook post, and so on.

2. A substantially thrilling coaster. I wouldn't mind an RMC, but I also think we have both the fast-paced and classic versions of wooden coasters taken care of. I'd be particularly interested in either a B&M flyer, full-sized dive coaster, or a Mack/Intamin/Premier launched looping coaster. Any of these would be great for the park, because it would plug something visually intimidating into the coaster lineup.

3. Further development of the water park. Before all is said and done, I'd like to see the following: Tube slides, either a Tornado, bowl, or boomerango/wall slide, and a full-fledged water play-structure. A stretch would be to eventually build a proslide water coaster, which could do really well with almost all of the GP. People don't really get scared of them, but most people find them exciting/intriguing and fun. The old body slides can stay, though the original speed slides are no longer necessary and could be replaced with something. I also hope Raging Rapids never leaves, because it's relatively unique and one of my favorite things at any water park.

Of course this is by no means a complete list of what would be cool to build, but I tried to fill what I perceive to be the biggest holes in the park's current offerings. I'd really like to see a dark ride as well, but it didn't quite make my top 3.

Dont worry about bursting my bubble or however you said it, im a big boy and i can handle disappointment.

I am free to speculate all i want plus ive heard some things that would make what i said seem like a real possibility. Valleyfair is going to get a new coaster its just a matter of when. Parks, even Cedar Fair parks, throw out hints all the time. Its called fun!

Now you asked of three things the park most needs.

1. New thrilling coaster, either inverted or launched full circuit.

2. Complete bringing Soak City up to C.F. standards

3. Another thrilling coaster of any variety

Dont worry about bursting my bubble or however you said it, im a big boy and i can handle disappointment.

I wasn't suggesting you couldn't handle it, lol. I was trying to explain that I don't enjoy being Debbie Downer.... rather, I'm just making an effort to bring some balance to this thread.

If it's an Arrow (which as I understand it has been bought out by S&S), then that definitely gets us closer to what exactly we are supposed to get! Now actively combing their website to spot anything with a similar track. Hoping it's going to be a launcher!

On another look, it's very similar to Corkscrew and Wild Thing's track, which suggests Chance Morgan. GT-X anyone?

Just throwing this out. This is not official but maybe a sign. Has everyone seen the Valleyfair facebook home page lately? There is a new pic of a fairy land type of Valleyfair that looks pretty cool. You can go through it and see Power Tower, Wild Thing, Steel Venom (Wicked Twister), Renegade, Extreme Swing, etc. and then on the far left is a purple and white roller coaster with what looks to be an inversion. What is that? Could they be dropping a hint? Hmmm?????

Thoughts anybody.

P.S. I have not heard from Valleyfair about a coaster craze event yet but I am checking with them a couple of time a week.

I don't think it means anything. It's probably supposed to be Corkscrew in its old color scheme. None of these pictures for any of the parks are completely accurate.

As for what I think the park could really use, I think dippindotsguy8's list is spot on. A new Flume would be a smart move since there are always lots of comments on VF's Facebook page saying "bring back the Flume!" However, I feel it would only pay homage to the original if it's in a wooded area like the old Flume was. Removing Thunder Canyon seems like the only way they could do that.

^ Ask a Minnesotan: Log Chute or Thunder Canyon? It is obvious, Log Chute and maybe it is possible they could replace Thunder Canyon with it. They have been reviving areas of the park in the last few years, and this area could be next. A new water ride could be possible. Also on another note, Thunder Canyon has an unnecessarily large queue. I could see them removing part of it and adding a small flat. A windseeker could go there, where there is no height limit. I don't want to start the whole windseeker discussion again, but if they got one, they could put it there.

The new slides are going to start testing on Thursday!

Exciting! Man it's gonna be cold for the first few riders. Aren't you all still getting random snowfall up in MN?

It's supposed to be 70 on Thursday.

Also, do they just throw a water dummy down the slide to test it? If not, how do people test a waterslide?

Also, I caught Power Tower testing today.

The new slides are going to start testing on Thursday!

Exciting! Man it's gonna be cold for the first few riders. Aren't you all still getting random snowfall up in MN?

It's supposed to be 70 on Thursday.

Also, do they just throw a water dummy down the slide to test it? If not, how do people test a waterslide?

Also, I caught Power Tower testing today.

I'm guessing that first they'll just be doing mechanical testing of the pumps, drop boxes, etc. Going forward from there, maybe dummies are used.... the only thing that seems weird about that is that they could potentially scrape up the slides. My gut tells me they've done enough calculations and just send a real person down, once they know the mechanical stuff is working properly. I could be completely wrong though.

They sent out an email to some of the rides employees and lifeguards asking for test dummies basically it is going to be riding the slides over and over all day because each slide needs to be commissioned a certain number of times by park employees before they can be opened to the public

For anyone that's interested, the 2015 Live Entertainment lineup has been posted on the park website. Looks pretty similar to last year.

https://www.valleyfair.com/things-to-do/entertainment

Main difference I see is that fireworks are now only Fridays/Saturdays in July and not every night like last year, They must be trying to save money or had complaints from neighbors

Thoughts anybody.

P.S. I have not heard from Valleyfair about a coaster craze event yet but I am checking with them a couple of time a week.

It's probably just false advertisement. Just like the valleyfair commercials from last year when they were showing clips of coasters we don't even have lol....ps i know cedar fair pretty much used this commercial for every park im just saying lol

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

IF we got an invert, I'm thinking one about the size of Patriot. I would like vest restraints, because they look really comfortable (I haven't tried a vest yet).

For the forces, I really have no idea. It is looking like B&M s going back to its roots of forceful rides and innovation with Fury, Banshee, and Thunderbird. I really don't know what to expect from them, and that's a good thing!!!

I haven't gotten a chance to try the Banshee restraints, but I'm guessing they are the same style as the ones on X-Flight at SFGA? Those are nice. I don't think our B&M invert will be as long as Banshee but I'm hoping maybe a little bit shorter with a lift hill of at least 100 feet.

If we do get an invert, it will be a while. VF is landlocked right now with the floodplain bordering the main areas where attractions could have gone, and it looks like the roller coasters we have now won't be going anywhere any time soon. The coaster craze esque event I don't think will happen this year because they have published the events on their website.

Thoughts anybody.

I think purple and white would be perfect for a new B&M invert. I know it means nothing, but I like to think it is a sign of what might be to come. (A guy can dream, right). I bet it would have the Banshee/winged coaster style harnesses. I've ridden both gatekeeper and Raptor, and I think the new style is more comfortable. It'd have a 170 ft. lift hill, five inversions, and reach 64 mph!!