TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm starting to think that if Valleyfair announces its 2016 project, it will be September 12/13 during the Coaster Campout. Looking at the dates for the other coaster campouts--all this week, and then VF's isn't until mid-September??? Rougarou was partially announced at Cedar Point's event last year.

I was at the park today! Just got back home.

We got there right when the park opened (We just missed early entry), and started the day off with double back seat rides on Renegade. Afterwards we went for a second-to-front ride.

Went to Wild Thing, and then to Coasters for food (Sorry Chickie's). Followed by the worst ride on Excalibur I have ever experienced. It was just fantastically bad today (Strange, because it is normally quite smooth, for me anyway).

Did Wild Thing a couple times and headed to Power Tower, where I met a fellow TPR member or "donkey enthusiast" (CaptainUnknown, I think). Good job, Power Tower crew, you were probably the only crew that was interesting this year, and didn't just read the script with no enthusiasm.

"Am I going to die on this ride?"

"Yes."

Went on High Roller, Wild Thing, and finally Northern Lights when we had to leave.

I forget when, but we snuck in a ride on the Bumper Cars, and WOW are they tame compared to other bumper cars.

It was a pretty fun 4.5 hours at the park.

Just arrived at Valleyfair. In line at Steel Venom station. Park looks busy for a Monday. I'd say 2/3 full main lot full. Going to do some more night rides on Renegade this evening on my off day. Looks like our attandance has been up this year.

Does anyone think Excalibur would be better and less jerky if it had the same trains as Rock Bottom Plunge at Nickelodeon Universe, had some theming and :30 longer of a ride? Not saying this would happen, just want to hear opinions. Also, I am very surprised that ACES is a 35 yr old. He sounds 19, saying, "I don't have to lead my shift at T-Mobile today, just go by myself and ride the same rides every Monday, yea!"

Does anyone think Excalibur would be better and less jerky if it had the same trains as Rock Bottom Plunge at Nickelodeon Universe

Over-the-shoulder restraints on Excalibur? Sounds like a nightmare.

Did Wild Thing a couple times and headed to Power Tower, where I met a fellow TPR member or "donkey enthusiast" (CaptainUnknown, I think). Good job, Power Tower crew, you were probably the only crew that was interesting this year, and didn't just read the script with no enthusiasm.

"Am I going to die on this ride?"

"Yes."

Yes, it was I, the fellow Donkey enthusiast. And thank you for that enthusiasm compliment.

^^ Agreed. The only thing Excalibur needs is to be demolished.

Funny, I told the person I was riding that about the rumour that the ride could be replaced by a parking lot, and he said it was a better use of the land.

I like (Read: Can tolerate) Excalibur, but I normally only want to do a ride or two when I'm at the park.

Something to note, Excalibur's 2nd train was no where to be found.

I think captain unknown is on to something. An announcement at the coaster campout would be a perfect time. It would be very close to when Valleyfair has made their announcements that past two years.

As far as Excalibur goes the second train has been missing all season. That's one legit sign that this may be its last year. I do hope they announce its last few days so people have a chance to get their last rides, but Valleyfair has a history of not making such announcements. So you better get your ride in now because tomorrow it might be shut down. I do find it interesting that the ride operator said a parking lot would be a better use of the land, interesting!

As far as Excalibur goes the second train has been missing all season. That's one legit sign that this may be its last year.

I remember seeing the cars still on the cradles during preseason for leadership training. They were there a couple days/weeks into the season but went away soon after. They still switch the transfer track every now and then apparently. Maybe they're just using some invisibility cover and pulling one on us all, ride ops included.

Some of you may have already seen this in some other threads, but I saw this chart below in a Cedar Fair presentation that shows their basic plans for park additions/changes over the next five years.

Also, probably not what most of you want to hear, but the presentation also showed that Valleyfair is still second lowest park in the chain (above Michigan's Adventure) for both revenue and EBITDA.

Link to presentation: http://ir.cedarfair.com/files/doc_presentations/2015/150811-CP-Analyst-Day-Presentation_PRINT.pdf

image.thumb.jpg.791f094a4103bc5dbb53dbf445321048.jpg

Edited by VF15

Also, probably not what most of you want to hear, but the presentation also showed that Valleyfair is still second lowest park in the chain (above Michigan's Adventure) for both revenue and EBIDTA.

Link to presentation: http://ir.cedarfair.com/files/doc_presentations/2015/150811-CP-Analyst-Day-Presentation_PRINT.pdf

Interesting presentation. I wish they had actual numbers to go along with the revenue and EBITDA pie charts. (Earnings Before Interest Taxes Depreciation and Amortization, for those wondering). In the future if any of you ever wonder why Valleyfair doesn't get as much attention as the other parks, refer to the small percentage of revenues Valleyfair has in Cedar Fair's big picture. Michigan's Adventure is a hyper coaster away from passing Valleyfair on the totem pole! We suck! Haha..

I think Valleyfair's lack of a decent water park has held them back for years in terms of growth. I've visited Worlds of Fun around early July two of the last three years. Oceans of Fun has been slam packed each time, while Patriot, Prowler, and Mamba have 5-15 minute waits, almost walk-ons. I've read many similar trip reports about Wildwater Kingdom and Dorney. Valleyfair needs to get their water park up to the standards of other water parks in the chain. If that means no new coaster until 2020 or later, so be it!

Also, probably not what most of you want to hear, but the presentation also showed that Valleyfair is still second lowest park in the chain (above Michigan's Adventure) for both revenue and EBIDTA.

Interesting presentation. I wish they had actual numbers to go along with the revenue and EBITDA pie charts.

I feel the same way... People are always talking about CF's financial decisions as if they have intimate knowledge of its actual workings (not just what the talking heads SAY is going on), yet nobody appears to actually see detailed, itemized breakdowns for the cash flow to/from the various parks. They point to stuff on CF's site, but none of that goes beyond superficial, surface numbers. I would be surprised, actually, if CF shared those detailed reports with the public, which is why I find it surprising so many people seem to think they know all about how CF operates their parks, and business. At the end of the day, all anybody can do is take CF at their word, and hope they are not lying. Because as we all know, people in big businesses NEVER lie about financial matters to the public!

SAlso, probably not what most of you want to hear, but the presentation also showed that Valleyfair is still second lowest park in the chain (above Michigan's Adventure) for both revenue and EBIDTA. Link to presentation: http://ir.cedarfair.com/files/doc_presentations/2015/150811-CP-Analyst-Day-Presentation_PRINT.pdf

We all know this so it is not surprising, If VF's water park was bigger I think VF has a chance to catch up to WOF but that is just my opinion, no concrete evidence.

What I want to comment on is this capital matrix chart, I have never seen CF put one out before. Some of the things covered:

1) A Major thril ride/coaster addition for the next 5 years.

- With KI getting Banshee last year, Carowinds getting Fury 325 this year and CP getting Valravn next year hopefully VF is in that 5 year mix.

2) Interactive Dark Rides being added over the next 4 years.

- Since Quimet said ALL parks are getting one of these we know VF will have one in the next 4 years according to plan.

3) Waterpark product in the next 4 of 5 years.

- VF could be slotted to finish the water park expansion if the new parking lot gets approved.

4) Ride removal for the next 3 straight years.

- If the parking lot is approved Excalibur would be part of this.

- The good news is CF has never taken more than 2 years to replace a removed coaster from one of their parks.

In the next 4 years VF can expect a Dark Ride for sure (like all the other CF parks.).

IF the new parking lot is approved (and since it is labeled 'New Water Park Guest Parking Lot' in the proposal) odds are VF will see the completion of the water park expansion that will expand the water park to reach the new parking lot.

If the water park expansion happens then Excalibur gets removed......and is eventually replaced.

The next 4 years could be good for VF with a guaranteed new dark ride and IF the new parking lot gets approved for water park expansion. With those 2 attractions being added and the removal of Excalibur VF could see a new coaster in the next 5 years. If these 3 things happen then I will finally believe CF really thinks VF is a 'growth park' as they claim.

People are always talking about CF's financial decisions as if they have intimate knowledge of its actual workings (not just what the talking heads SAY is going on), yet nobody appears to actually see detailed, itemized breakdowns for the cash flow to/from the various parks. They point to stuff on CF's site, but none of that goes beyond superficial, surface numbers. I would be surprised, actually, if CF shared those detailed reports with the public, which is why I find it surprising so many people seem to think they know all about how CF operates their parks, and business. At the end of the day, all anybody can do is take CF at their word, and hope they are not lying. Because as we all know, people in big businesses NEVER lie about financial matters to the public!

CF used to share those numbers with shareholders in their annual report but have not since the Paramount purchase. So yeah, it is now just a guessing/estimation game with the broad numbers unfortunately.

Michigan's Adventure is a hyper coaster away from passing Valleyfair on the totem pole! We suck! Haha..

It wouldn't even take a hyper, just a kick a** coaster of any type. This is why I want to see CF really treat VF as a 'growth park' like they say and add some attractions so VF does not become the next MiA.

People are always talking about CF's financial decisions as if they have intimate knowledge of its actual workings (not just what the talking heads SAY is going on), yet nobody appears to actually see detailed, itemized breakdowns for the cash flow to/from the various parks. They point to stuff on CF's site, but none of that goes beyond superficial, surface numbers. I would be surprised, actually, if CF shared those detailed reports with the public, which is why I find it surprising so many people seem to think they know all about how CF operates their parks, and business. At the end of the day, all anybody can do is take CF at their word, and hope they are not lying. Because as we all know, people in big businesses NEVER lie about financial matters to the public!

CF used to share those numbers with shareholders in their annual report but have not since the Paramount purchase. So yeah, it is now just a guessing/estimation game with the broad numbers unfortunately.

I wish I would have had my investor put my funds into FUN back in the day, and especially when the stock dipped a bit. But now, I fear, I'd be a bit late to the party... Ah, well... Story of my life!