TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ Many, many times I've heard people say that they've rebuilt/remodeled Psyclone. That's sort of the equivalent of back in 1986 people saying that Shock Wave is "like the bobsleds, only you stand up" because it was right where Sarajevo Bobsleds was.

Eric

I think I'll get a little backlash for asking this but I certainly stand by what my opinion is. I don't know about you guys but when I went down to visit Magic Mountain, my opinion on the most intense ride there was not Goliath, not Riddler's Revenge, not Scream!, not Deja Vu, not Tatsu, not even X2, but Batman the Ride. Yes i said it, Batman The Ride. Between the extremely compact layout, the frequency of the inversions, the really tight fit on the trains, and the no braking points in the ride, Batman the Ride is certainly the most relentless ride there. I was stunned after I got off of it. Even the 2nd time I rode it about 30 minutes after I rode X2 it was still the ride that I thought was the most intense in the park. It just has absolutely no give up whatsoever. I wonder what the average speed of the ride is (excluding the chain lift). Do you guys think its one of the most intense rides at Magic Mountain if not THE most intense ride at Magic Mountain?

Seriously, when I got off the ride, I couldn't walk in a straight line and there was a little bit of sense like "what just happened?" The only thing that was clear at that point was why almost every Six Flags park has a Batman the Ride.

I'm glad to know that it wasn't just me . I agree that the pretzel loop on Tatsu is the most intense element in the park. The helix on Goliath isn't that far behind though. So is it too early for anyone to make a prediction on what type of coaster the new coaster is going to be?

Intamin would have been my first guess because they've skyrocketed the last few years and Magic Mountain only has 1 Intamin coaster. My question is, where would they build a new ride? The last three rides that have been built weren't exactly in new expanded parts of the park. Terminator was on old Psyclone ground. Tatsu was built over the middle of the park so its very high (excluding the pretzel loop) and Scream! was built over a parking lot.

Bolligerandmabillard stated a while back that there's a lot of space behind Viper all the way down to Deja Vu, that's one large spot right there, plus it seems like there's a lot of space behind Terminator too

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that they have ownership of that land.

I believe that the land behind Terminator is owned by an oil company (excluding the boneyard) and I also believe that the land to the south of the park (the aforementioned land behind Viper; across the access road) is owned by Newhall Land & Farming.

I have, however, heard more than a few sources talking about a ride possibly being built behind Terminator, and, if that land is owned, I can see a few difficulties with it. The first of these difficulties is that the space back there, at least the owned space that I know of, is not all that big and they'd have to sandwich a ride into it. The second is that the access road that exists is a main access road. It is pretty much the only way that employees and maintenance can travel from the main park administration area to the main gate and front of the park. To place a coaster there would block that access road, causing a quandary in the fact that there would be no real way to navigate the park without passing through areas where guests are present; I'm pretty sure that Jay and crew would rather not have guests see that and would want to keep it in the back of the house.

I can see them taking land that has been used for other, more disposable rides and turning it into valuable space, but I can't see them building behind Terminator... and, as far as I know, the area on the other side of Portrero Canyon Rd. (the name of the road that extends off into the hills behind Terminator) is owned by an oil drilling company.

However, I could be wrong.

Sincerely,

R.C.

You know when Terminator was built it looked to me like it was closer to Deja Vu than Psyclone was. I thought if there was going to be a new 2010 ride it would be back where Psyclone was. It's probably just my eyes playing tricks on me, but does anyone agree?

Keep in mind, too, that some space opened up where Freefall was, and there are rumors that Tidal Wave is not long for this world. That area could well be where the new Wiggles World will go, but there are some nooks and crannies where some sort of coaster would fit. Not necessarily a big one, but a coaster nonetheless.

I still think a good, airtime-filled out and back type could go along the south (Viper to Roaring Rapids to Deja Vu) and/or west (Terminator to Riddler to Batman) edge of the park. It wouldn't have to cross any fences and "sneak" onto NL&F-owned land.

Eric

Maybe something like Maverick could be built. That would be a great addition. Maybe they'll use the gravel parking lot thats north of the other parking lots. I never saw anyone use it, and its a huge piece of land. What do you guys think?

If they wanted to build a coaster in an area where there is an access road and didn't want it to be visible to the GP, they would find a way to hide it and even if the road passed right through the coaster they would find a way to make it work. So to say they would not build a coaster in a spot that would appear to block an access road is not so. Parks do this stuff all the time and if they want to make it work they will find a way.

I was bummed that they didn't build a more intense wooden roller coaster instead of Terminator. Something like El Toro at Great Adventure seems to have a very small footprint, but it's an incredible ride. Not that they've built TS, we'll probably never get a "super" wooden roller coaster.

As for improvements, I wonder if they could redesign the Goliath trains to make them more open, like the Nitro (2 across though) or Superman trains. That would add a lot to the ride.

Why would Magic Mountain bother getting different trains for Goliath when they could be spending that money elsewhere?

If you think about it, a B&M hyper wouldn't work because they would have to redo all of the catwalks for proper clearance etc. and if the train is substantially heavier or lighter all of the timing and braking would have to be redone. There are probably a million more things that would have to go into changing trains on Goliath too....