TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I had the same thought a few days ago. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that anything is going on, would have expected to see at least some markings on the ground by this point. However that is to suggest that 1) People have been looking; and 2) whatever markings that there might be are in a place accessible to the general public.

I wouldn't expect much of an announcement until November/December, however I'd keep my eyes open for some sort of evidence to begin appearing around the park. This is TPR, we notice if the temperature gauge is .3 degrees off, I'm sure when it's there we'll notice construction.

^^ I agree. Also you have to factor in the fact it takes awhile longer to construct wooden coasters versus steel, and add on to that the extra time it would take to build the structure up to California standards. There would have to be some sort of visible prep work at this point if they're planning on having this open by early summer. I know previous projects like Riddler, Goliath, and Tatsu all had site prep work going at this point in the year.

I'd like to be wrong, but realistically it's either not coming next year, or it's something much smaller and different than what the rumors have suggested.

The other parks have to anounce there atractions for 2009 early on as they want to sell season passes for next year. SFMM is open year round, no need to rush it.

Jay Thomas is not a stupid person, he knows exactly what he is doing. They will make sure the new coaster will deliver. If it does not open by memorial day, it probably will open by the 4th of july weekend. Should not be a big deal.

I rather wait 2 months to enjoy something for the next 10 years compared to some project that were rushed(look at scream!! and i actually love this ride!)

Let them deal with it, they sure know more about logistics and how to build a actual coaster then any of us on this messageboard(RCT does not count, sorry,lol)

I have total confidence in the SFMM management. So not really worried about not seeing "markers"

Maybe they build it someplace we would least exect it(which is hopefully not the parking lot,lol)

Again I wouldn't be waiting for that announcement to be made any time soon. I have followed a lot of coasters at the park and they always make a mid-November/mid-December announcement . I have no reason to think this is going to be any different. What I was saying as far as there actually being a ride is that generally there would be at least some major ground work going on by this point. It takes a very long time for the park to push around dirt and get the site ready generally. Even if the ride is going to be built on a parking lot or concrete I'd still expect some spray paint markings. I still hope there is a coaster coming but with the state of the economy I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Six Flags 2009 projects have been pushed back to 2010.

It is only the middle of september, we here in so cal do not have to worry about inclement weather or snow like the rest of the country. They can easily build a wooden coaster in 4 months, we are not getting an El Toro. I just dont get the panic that the coaster has been canceled.

This coaster probably is not as complicated to build like Tatsu for example, which was a major undertaking

^ But remember that California building codes will probably require this to be beefier (and thus more time consuming to build) than most regular wooden coasters. Something like Tatsu is essentially like putting pre-fabricated pieces together in the correct order. Regular wooden coasters require more on-site work with cutting and shaping the lumber. You aren't just bolting pre-made pieces together like a steelie.

I'd really like to be wrong on this. If it's a small to mid size coaster, I'm sure if they are aggressive with their construction time line, it could open early to mid summer.

Maybe the ride will be place where regular workers and guest doesn't have access to. Hopefully some news comes soon.

I am going to guess its going to be in Psyclones old lot... I was in the Sky Tower Saturday and was looking around and that is one of the largest available spaces unless they build it over the back road or plop it in the employee's parking lot (wouldn't put it past the old management!)

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with me or what, but I haven't given the 2009 ride much thought at all. It'll be announced by the end of the year, I'm sure.

If I had to guess where it'll be, I'd say either in Psyclone's old area or somehow wound around Batman, Riddler's Revenge, and where Freefall used to be. Remember, too, if this ride does indeed have a Terminator theme, it could be a rare (for California, anyway) steel structured wooden coaster. GCII builds those, don't they? And it would go up faster than a wooden structure would.

Most likely, whenever the park sends out the renewal forms for season passes, something will be mentioned there. That's often when I find out what the next attraction will be.

Eric

I wouldn't expect track yet, I'm just saying that some type of ground work is to be expected by this point. I hope I'm wrong, however I'm still skeptical. As far as location I'm still strongly convinced that the area by where Pysclone was is not a logical place for the coaster, I believe that an entrance somewhere the Backlot makes more sense. However I've got no experience running a park whatsoever, so what do I know!

As far as a steel structure with a wooden track, I think that is a distinct possibility, as it would somewhat fit the given theme. However even then I would have expected some spray paint markings by now. We'll all know soon enough what's going on at the park, and I'm sure that if a rock somewhere in the park moves, somebody on here will catch it.

I'm not going to worry too much about this project until Mid-January and no press release. I know we're all a little anxious because none of us can find any VISIBLE work on this ride, but I'm sure that behind the scenes they're working hard to bring us our coaster, or the S&S flat that will take it's place.

Something I forgot to mention...

There is a bee infestation at the Freshers Lemonade stand next to the WB stage in Six Flags Plaza. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen...bees inside and outside the booth. The worker was unfazed by it and even his supervisor who was delivering cups didnt seem to be concerned. This was considerably more than 5, 10 or even 20 bees. Some were flying around. Some were walking around sucking up spilled lemon slush, while others seemed to be dying a slow hot death on the inside of the window sill.

^^ Sounds like they're taking a cue from SFDK, their haunted houses have always been upcharge since the first FF. The GP doesn't seem to have a problem paying the extra $10 (good for all houses), pretty standard price comparable to your local haunted houses. Never pay myself though, exact same houses every year but they usually include a free coupon for certain nights in the SP booklet.

The upcharge may work for SFDK, but Fright Fest down south would need a major overhaul to be seperate ticket to compete with HH and HHN. I think if the park put the effort into it, they could come up with something decent. I mean as naturally dark as the park gets, add some fog machines and a really cool Marvin the Martian maze and keep the park open til like 1am, and you've got yourself some competition for a halloween event. Besides, I'm not going to get my knickers in a bunch unless they start upcharging for Colossus backwards...THEN we'll have a problem.