TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The thing about Terminator backwards is that they wouldn't be able to run the Millennium Flyers backwards. No headrests for one thing, and, being trailer cars, I don't know if that's possible.

But if there was a way, that ride backwards would be a blast.

Eric

Terminator backwords is a TERRIBLE idea. Since it is a twister coaster it would be hard to brace yourself for the sudden turns, especially with PTC trains. Even if terminator is a smooth ride(I'll get my first rides at WCB in a few months as it appears I am going) it will jerk you around, and not being able to brace yourself could put you in an uncomfortable position.

I've never been much of a fan of backwards. Tends to give me some problems with motion sickness (though forwards tends to do that often as well). However I would be interested to know if physically most trains would run backwards. I am not talking about how riders would deal with it or lack of headrests or anything like that, I'm asking from more of an engineering perspective. Basically my question, is there any significant obstacles from keeping certain trains from being able to run backwards, or is it simply a matter of flipping them around.

^ When SFMM used to swap trains between Psyclone and Colossus, mostly the underneath stuff (anti-rollbacks, brake fins) had to be switched. Of course, now that thankfully there is no more Psyclone , obviously they just leave the cars alone.

One time, I hinted at Knott's running GhostRider backwards for Haunt. Now that would not be such a good idea, given how rough it's gotten.

I also wondered about Ninja backwards, since Six Flags did that with XLR-8. Being more intense than XLR-8, I don't think Ninja would work so well that way.

Eric

What makes Colossus such a great coaster to run backwards is the fact that it has two tracks, so the park can run one side forward and one side backwards. With a coaster like Ghostrider it would be more difficult because then you would only have the option of riding it backwards, unless the park did alternating trains which seems unpractical.

As far as Ninja, I see it as being too intense to run backwards. I strongly doubt we'll ever see it, though I do think it would be interesting.

Not sure how many people remember this, but for a few years after Superman opened people claimed that there were talks of running one side backwards for Fright Fest. I always strongly doubted those talked ever happened, just seemed like such a bad idea in my opinion.

^ I think the whole thing about running Superman backwards was all a joke. Try to imagine the launch with riders sitting the opposite direction that they do now. FACEPLANT!!!

But I have to admit that going up and coming down the tower face down would be cool---sort of like a Schwarzkopf shuttle on SERIOUS DRUGS.

Eric

^Typically dance competitions didn't really make the lines that much longer, because the girls involved generally have to stay near Golden Bear.

The faceplant has always been my concern with Superman backwards. While I don't think it would be a problem if you braced for it, I fully believe that somebody would get on the ride and smack their face on the launch. Now if they retrofitted (again I'm just saying, I'm not advocating nor claiming the park will ever do this) one of the trains with OTSR's then I think it would be absolutely possible. I do agree though that the drop backwards would be far more thrilling backwards!

I went to SFMM today and had an amazing time. The lines were non-existent all day, I even took a picture on my phone of X2's completely empty station, I could have re ridden it in the front without getting off if I wanted. The employees were really nice today, one even gave me a free soda, and yeah, it was great. The only downsides were Terminator's crew making everyone watch all 3 pre shows all day even though nobody was really waiting, and them being too lazy to run Colossus Backwards.

Edit: Ride count=29! Two rides on Termy in the back at night in a row, and 2 Tatsu rides in a row!

^ I should have gone today instead of last night, but at least I got to ride Colossus backwards one more time this year. While I was waiting, I noticed that the yellow Psyclone train appeared to have a crack in its fiberglass right behind the right rear seat of the first car. It might have just been the paint or outer coating, but it looked deeper than that. Maybe all those years of being beaten up on its former ride have caught up.

As for last night, I expected the park to be busy, but it wasn't too bad. My longest wait was for Goliath and Terminator, both at about 40 minutes. Colossus backwards was about 15-20 minutes, Ninja was a walk-on and I got two rides in a row. Revolution and Viper were more or less walk-ons as well. X2 looked pretty busy, so I didn't ride that, nor did I ride Tatsu, which looked to be about 20 minutes or so.

Mostly, I just went out there to be away from home and enjoy the atmosphere of the park for Halloween. I arrived about 7 and left about 10:30.

Eric

:omg:

I can't believe X2 was a walk on! The lowest time I had to wait for X2 was I think maybe around 20-30 min.

Anyway, I would like to see Goliath Backwards. Just imangine that extremely banked turn and that tall drop backwards.

Goliath Backwards=Not a good idea.

I rode in the back row on Goliath and thought looking backwards would be fun, only every time the ride leveled out, it kinda hurt...granted my neck was turned around...and I'm an idiot. I still wouldnt ride Goliath backwards.

And for the record, this is the 2nd X2 walk on experience I've had But the first with me walking! through the queue with a camcorder

^^^ It was like that a couple of weeks ago, except I don't remember anyone running through the empty queue with a camera...

Eric

Well I couldn't grab the whole station but it was the best I could do with the camera on my cell. Now that was a great season pass holder day!

x2empty.jpg.627fa656fecb26818bbe580328becf0c.jpg

One in a Million!