TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

That looks totally awesome! I'm actually going there this Saturday with a friend of mine, but we might not do the mazes since he doesn't usually go in mazes during the events. I still think the $5 maze deal they have is kind of stupid.

Is it $5 per maze or $5 for all of the mazes?

$5 for a maze wristband that lets you into all the mazes. I don't see how it's stupid...Universal and Knotts charge $50 for their "maze wristbands" so why can't SFMM charge a measly $5?

Though if your too cheap to pay $1 for a locker to store items not allowed on certain rides, I'm sure $5 is WAY out of your price range...

If anything the $5 will help with the lines a bit for people who really want to see the mazes. Would I pay $5 for the mazes? Not a chance! However with that said, I'm not really one for mazes, and didn't actually go through them for the first time until I was working in Entertainment and got the opportunity to bypass the lines. I think the $5 plan in the end is a good idea and really will not break the bank for people coming to the park.

To be fair, I totally understand why people are upset over the $5 upcharge...Fright Fest being free is what separated it from the the other so cal events IMO. But you also got what you paid for. I was never impressed with the Fright Fest mazes at all.

Not that $5 is a big deal to me, but I always thought it was nice to be able to enjoy the full day and night events with my pass. As did many others I am sure.

If anything the $5 will help with the lines a bit for people who really want to see the mazes.

That's why I'm all for it. If what I witnessed last night is anything like how it may be for the rest of the event I would come back to Fright Fest more often than when it was free. I'm not about to stand in a 30 to 45 minute line for a maze and if a $5 wristband reduces that to 5 to 15 minutes, sign me up!

Technically, the event is still "free" and you can see all the shows, scare zones, etc, you just have to pay for the mazes. I think I remember one year where Brutal Planet was a $5 upcharge on it's own. Maybe it wasn't at SFMM (I thought it was) but I know that some other SF parks charged for that maze when it was first introduced.

I would not pay $5 for one maze, but a $5 overall change is NOT a big deal at all.

Perhaps some people may be upset because their season pass information offered "Free Fright Fest" when they bought it this year, but I think now Six Flags will know to add a little "*Some attractions may require an additional fee" disclaimer to this year's season pass information.

--Robb

Ouch. In my opinion ( No oggence to any scaractors/ SFMM employees) The knotts mazes are much more elaborate( although they are more expensive) There are also thirteen mazes each one being different. Also knotts has a lot more actors and shows so the upcharge makes a lot of sense.

Ouch. In my opinion ( No oggence to any scaractors/ SFMM employees) The knotts mazes are much more elaborate( although they are more expensive) There are also thirteen mazes each one being different. Also knotts has a lot more actors and shows so the upcharge makes a lot of sense.

I think your comparison is also completley unfair and invalid. Knott's charges about $50 for the event. Fright Fest is included free with your admission plus $5 for the mazes.

So do you really think the $5 event *should* compare to the $50 event? C'mon!

Personally I've been to Knott's Haunt many many times over the past 25 years (yes, I was there when Weird Al played in 1986) and I personally do not feel that the mazes at Haunt are *THAT* much better than the mazes at Fright Fest.

I would say Knott's usually has one or two "stand out" mazes, and the rest of them are just your basic well put together, fun haunted house not that much different than Fright Fest's offerings.

As far as So Cal Halloween events go, if you're going to compare anything to Knott's, the fair comparison would be Universal since they are both seperate ticket events. But personally, Universal BLOWS away Knott's for mazes and shows. And I actually think the Fright Fest is a better value than Knott's Haunt.

--Robb "Never been a huge fan of Scary Farm..." Alvey

Can you spot the hidden Mickey?

Even before I read the caption, actually.

"Twisted Sisters: The Later Years"

Also, they have a gift shop in Thomas Town? If it was 10 years ago I'd be in heaven.

Awesome stuff, Robb. Though I could do without a visit to the scare-the-crap-outta-ya events, I still gotta get out to California one of these days.

Oh, and one more thing...

I know there's a "head" joke to be made here...but I'll just leave it at that!

I won't.

^ X2 did have a line down the ramp when we first got there....at least an hour. If you plan on riding X2 I would suggest getting there EARLY...like at least 30 minutes before park opening.

The only two coasters that looked like they had any kind of significant line yesterday were X2 and Tatsu.

--Robb

Nice ToT comment. I was thinking the same things when I saw that guy. I went to Kings Island's Halloween Haunt and it was great. Whe they open the park on Firday nights they make everyone wait at security and they close the metal gates so you can't see the turnstiles then at 7 when it opens they open the gates and about 100 or more monsters come screaming at you. It was sweet. I was impressed with how many different mazes there were.

It's nice to see that they improved Fright Fest! To me it is a cheaper way to have all the Halloween fun that there is to have, but at a more reasonable price than . Kudos to Six Flags for putting this on the way that they did.

PS: Those of you that are complaining about the $5 wristband need to get over it. It's not like they're charging a dollar for a locker or anything, because that would be crazy!

I don't think it's fair for you to say you made Call of Duty. You made an add on. Sorry, but that's like a sequel.

I worked on three games in the Call of Duty series. You know nothing of my day job, so screw you!

Now, back on topic to SFMM, please!

--Robb

What up fellow thrill seekers? this is my first post, so bare with me. Well last night I took my brother to Fright Fest for the first time and from our experience, I was great! Yes it was the first weekend and it was a little empty but it gave all of the characters in the haunted mazes a lot of energy to scare the crap out of us. Willoughby’s Haunted Mansion was the best scare for us, since my brother and I were the only 2 that walked through it. Towards the end he was running out of it. Overall the place was great. I haven’t been to Fright Fest in 2 years, and it was good to get back. Also the rides were all pretty much walk on. I’ve never seen TATSU station so empty. I pretty much stood in my seat and rode over and over again, and after 3 rides I was done. Oh yeah, when did this ride get so fast? I never scream in the pretzel loop, but last night I was screaming like a little girl. I don’t remember the forces being so F-in STRONG! Lastly, I got the chance to meet park Prez Jay Thomas, Robb, Elissa and the world famous KidTums outside Thomas Town. It was great to finally meet them all in person. Well, my final review; Even though Magic Mountain is still behind in the whole Halloween thing, over all it was great! From the characters, make up, costumes and famous rides in the dark. They offer stuff for the entire family to enjoy. Leaving the park my brother and I ran into Mr. Thomas and he asked how we liked. We told him we both loved all of it, and that it was good to see a lot of the management walking around and asking us if we needed direction or any help. He was pleased to hear that and also let us know on a little secret for next year’s theme……..

I'm actually really a fan of the little plusses here and there they were able to do for Fright Fest. In fact, I like every part of it. . . .except for the fact that Willoughby's name is "Johan".

Tim Burkhart had to keep you in Fright Fest somehow...I miss WCB. Anywho, I'll be at the park on Saturday, and I'm excited. It really does look great this year.

---Brent

Just my two cents' worth. Five bucks is nothing to pay to go through the mazes, especially if they're decent---and they appear to be.

If this continues in the years to come, SoCal will have three premier Halloween events.

Eric