TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody, I'm going to be at SFMM for the first time next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and I was hoping to get some tips to maximize my time in the park. First off, I looked at the calendar and it seems like the public schools are still in session so I'm hoping the park won't be too crowded. Is there any particular order I should follow for the coasters? Are some less busy in the morning than in the evening? What about food? Are there any places I should check out or avoid? Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Hey everybody, I'm going to be at SFMM for the first time next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and I was hoping to get some tips to maximize my time in the park. First off, I looked at the calendar and it seems like the public schools are still in session so I'm hoping the park won't be too crowded. Is there any particular order I should follow for the coasters? Are some less busy in the morning than in the evening? What about food? Are there any places I should check out or avoid? Thanks in advance guys and gals!

For the first ride, I recommend choosing one of these three rides: Full Throttle, Tatsu, or X2. Once you are done riding one of these, go to the back of the park and ride the other two later. If you have a Discover card, use the 5 minute early entry line. If you are not able to make it to the park's opening, I'd just go on Orient Express, ride Superman, than go to the back of the park immediately. Apocalypse, Batman, Green Lantern, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Colossus, and Scream don't have much of a line if any in the first 90 minutes. X2 has less of a line around 3:00. Food: Don't go to Food Etc. unless you want to experience the "amazingness" of it.

I have no idea about crowds since I never visited SFMM during a May weekday, though I doubt it will be busy.

For the first ride, I recommend choosing one of these three rides: YOLOcoaster, Tatsu, or X2. Once you are done riding one of these, go to the back of the park and ride the other two later. If you have a Discover card, use the 5 minute early entry line. If you are not able to make it to the park's opening, I'd just go on Orient Express, ride Superman, than go to the back of the park immediately. Apocalypse, Batman, Green Lantern, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Colossus, and Scream don't have much of a line if any in the first 90 minutes. X2 has less of a line around 3:00. Food: Don't go to Food Etc. unless you want to experience the "amazingness" of it.

I have no idea about crowds since I never visited SFMM during a May weekday, though I doubt it will be busy.

wait...I go to food etc everytime I go for the dole whips ONLY!!!

I still need to try those Dole Whips to see if they are as good as the ones at Disney Parks and the Dole Plantation. Anyways, Food Etc. tends to be more shabby and have worse service than the rest of the park.

For the first ride, I recommend choosing one of these three rides: YOLOcoaster, Tatsu, or X2. Once you are done riding one of these, go to the back of the park and ride the other two later. If you have a Discover card, use the 5 minute early entry line. If you are not able to make it to the park's opening, I'd just go on Orient Express, ride Superman, than go to the back of the park immediately. Apocalypse, Batman, Green Lantern, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Colossus, and Scream don't have much of a line if any in the first 90 minutes. X2 has less of a line around 3:00. Food: Don't go to Food Etc. unless you want to experience the "amazingness" of it.

Thanks XYZ! Maybe I'll just start with X2 since it seems nearest to the entrance. What's your take on YOLOcoaster? It looks really fun despite seeming kind of short (the videos make it seem short anyway) I really can't wait to do it all; my only credits for 2014 are the coasters at the WDW resort.

Both days will be extremely dead.

The following rides as of yesterday had only one train:

X2 (both of the others being refurbed)

Full throttle (other one being refurbed)

Riddler (other two being refurbed)

Apocalypse (other one being refurbed)

So that might change your plans.

Revolution is still closed

Everyone says do X2 first, but they don't know what they're talking about. Do Full Throttle first, then X2, tatsu, superman, then head towards the back of the park. On Saturday I did those rides in that order and didn't wait more than 5 mins for any ride! While Full Throttle and X2 were running only one train!

Everyone says do X2 first, but they don't know what they're talking about. Do YOLOcoaster first, then X2, tatsu, superman, then head towards the back of the park. On Saturday I did those rides in that order and didn't wait more than 5 mins for any ride! While YOLOcoaster and X2 were running only one train!

Just watched your video, GAC; it was pretty helpful. Is the M&M path up to Superman pretty easy to spot after Tatsu? I think I'll follow your advice and do YOLOcoaster first and mimic the order from your vid. The only thing I'll have against me is that I don't have a Gold Pass but I will be there at the gate before opening so hopefully the park will be pretty dead. You mentioned you liked the last row on YOLO but said everyone's got to try the front, any other suggestions for seating? I'm more of a back of the train, whipping over hills kind of guy.

Everyone says do X2 first, but they don't know what they're talking about. Do YOLOcoaster first, then X2, tatsu, superman, then head towards the back of the park. On Saturday I did those rides in that order and didn't wait more than 5 mins for any ride! While YOLOcoaster and X2 were running only one train!

The park is probably going to be quiet when this person visits, so this won't be much of a problem. However, if you do Full Throttle, X2, than Tatsu on a regular day, X2 and Tatsu would likely have hour waits by the time you get to them.

Thanks XYZ! Maybe I'll just start with X2 since it seems nearest to the entrance. What's your take on YOLOcoaster? It looks really fun despite seeming kind of short (the videos make it seem short anyway) I really can't wait to do it all; my only credits for 2014 are the coasters at the WDW resort.

Full Throttle is my favorite ride at the park. The restraints aren't very comfortable and the whole area looks really ugly, though the ride itself is really good despite its short length.

Just watched your video, GAC; it was pretty helpful. Is the M&M path up to Superman pretty easy to spot after Tatsu? I think I'll follow your advice and do YOLOcoaster first and mimic the order from your vid. The only thing I'll have against me is that I don't have a Gold Pass but I will be there at the gate before opening so hopefully the park will be pretty dead. You mentioned you liked the last row on YOLO but said everyone's got to try the front, any other suggestions for seating? I'm more of a back of the train, whipping over hills kind of guy.

The M&M path is easy to spot but also easy to miss. Coming out of Tatsu's exit turn to your right and look on your right hand side, it's just as you start to go around the corner you'll see stairs leading up that go under the beginning of Tatsu's lift.

The last row on YOLO is definitely the best. You get extra hangtime coming backwards out of the tunnel and a little more pop coming over the top of the hill at the end. I've ridden front back and middle and the back is easily the best.

I have heard from a couple people lately that the one train ops on X2 have been extremely slow..with the line only at the bottom of the station stairs it took 30 minutes. With that in mind I'd say start on X2 very first, then head over to YOLO. Normally X2's line dies around 3-4 O'clock, but as slow as they've been moving lately and with one train that might not happen.

I stood in the YOLO line with the queue was totally full and running one train and it was still only about 45 minutes, so it's been pretty efficient considering. They've been keeping the unshaded areas clear which means they hold you and then let a big group go at once, it kind of makes you feel like you're moving faster than you are.

On these days Tatsu probably won't get too out of hand, I doubt it will top 40 minutes. So I'd say start with X2, YOLO, Tatsu, then go upstairs to SEFK and the back of the park.

If you arrive at the park(not parking lot, the front gate) at 9:50 you'll get in quickly. Trust me it's worth waiting that long for the front gate. Also there is a Discover Credit card line that gets in 5 mins early, but thats if you have a Discover cards though. The M&M path is easy to spot if your looking for it.

Edited by GreatAmericanCoaster

I must be sick G.A.C. because in a sick way I really enjoyed your

video. One thing you could have done when exiting Tatsu was stop by the Dipping Dots stand and asked the Dipping Dots guy when X2 would be running 2 trains again and he could have told you the 12th. I like to enter the park and grab a funnel cake and eat it at Cyber Cafe using the free Wi-Fi available there. Then I hit a quick ride on the Grand Carousal with a ride on the Chariot (bench seating). Then for me its Orient Express prefer car #1 as the A/C is always blasting in that one. Use to then enjoy slow ride to the top of Sky Tower but perhaps soon that will again be available with a sunset dinner at the top. Then a walk down the stairs (not heart attack hill) towards Roaring Rapids and listen to the people bitching that they did not know they would get "that wet" on Rapids. Then by pass Apoc and head straight into Coaster Candy Company and see what the free fudge tastes for the day are and make certain I get my fill. Then I like to sit and watch Cyclone 500 and see if its possible for 9 cars to complete a trip around in under 15 minutes (rarely done). I then try to grab a spot in the shade and watch people try the Rock Wall and then move over to watching the 3 point challenge basketball toss and see if anyone has scored above 10 yet.

Okay Okay not really the route I take around the park but Its close.

Edited by robbalvey

Something weird was happening on Saturday. Tatsu was running 2 trains / 2 stations, yet they were still stacking the train on the brake run. That being said, the crew was really 'on it' once they let the train in the station.

One other thought/question: it's been YEARS since I've ridden Roaring Rapids. Took a spin and couldn't help but notice that there was only one raft on the conveyor at a time. I distinctly rember they conveyor having rafts back to back, often with a 'queue' still in the river. The line moved painfully slow. Did they recently cut capacity on the ride? And if they did, why?

Something weird was happening on Saturday. Tatsu was running 2 trains / 2 stations, yet they were still stacking the train on the brake run.

That sounds extremely weird. If a train is on one side of the station when the other hits the brakes, can't that one go straight away to the other side?

Something weird was happening on Saturday. Tatsu was running 2 trains / 2 stations, yet they were still stacking the train on the brake run.

That sounds extremely weird. If a train is on one side of the station when the other hits the brakes, can't that one go straight away to the other side?

Extremely weird? Don't question Magic Mountain logic. This is normal for them.

From my limited knowledge of train dispatching, I believe the operator still has to press the button to advance each train into the station when it's clear, so if they were occupied with the first train they may be slow to advance the second one into the other station.

^Correct. The operators have to advance the train into the station from the transfer. If the person at Panel is not paying attention (which is usually the case when you have 7 operators standing in there doing nothing ) then the 2nd train will stop even if its designated station is empty.