TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Row matters and train matters. Every spindle for every row on that ride is different. I've noticed that the stair side is a little smoother though and in train number 3. The ramp side seems to have a bit more whiplash on the seat rotations. They aren't near as smooth. It also depends on the wheels for your particular car too. A couple weeks ago it felt like they replaced the wheels or something. It was the smoothest ride I've ever had on X2. Front row inside seat train 3.

I like the idea of leg restraints, but wouldn't this just slow down operations even more? To give them credit, I've found the operations at X2 to be pretty decent compared to the rest of the park, but I hate the thought of it taking longer to dispatch a train with there being an extra restraint to check. Not to mention GPs and YOLOs (which is really the same thing) not knowing how these restraints work! I've seen it happen quite a few times when a GP/YOLO goes on Tatsu or Riddler's and they end up causing a delay because they didn't know how to work the restraint.

More specifically, the leg restraint on Tatsu and the adjusting seat height on Riddler's. Especially on Riddler's- I've seen them jumping up and down, playing with the seat, and then it locks mid-jump, leaving their feet in the air. Which is funny to see, but then the op has to unlock that row to readjust the seat and then recheck it.

But my lack of faith in GPs/YOLOs aside, this is does sound like it would be an awesome idea!

More specifically, the leg restraint on Tatsu and the adjusting seat height on Riddler's. Especially on Riddler's- I've seen them jumping up and down, playing with the seat, and then it locks mid-jump, leaving their feet in the air. Which is funny to see, but then the op has to unlock that row to readjust the seat and then recheck it.

This has always.... ALWAYS been a problem on Riddler's. The only real solution is for the ops to say locking in three, two, and one. Except, they already do that. The people are just stupid, not much can be done about that.

The only way I could imagine that would quicken this process is if they got trains that unlocked individual seats like X2, but I think with the way the seat locking mechanisms work (on a per row basis) this would be difficult to implement.

How about a couple test seats as you walk into the ride entrance/queue? With a very large bright red arrow over it pointing towards the seat saying "try me before you ride!" or something geeky like that. Could help a few people get in quicker.

When I worked on the Cedar Point Blue Streak the biggest loading issue we had was people freaking out because they couldn't figure out how to buckle a seat belt!? No joke... A few years later when Hersheypark opened Wildcat, they had seatbelts mounted in the queue (on the side) before the station, as a hint for people to try out. I thought that was a great idea!

How about a couple test seats as you walk into the ride entrance/queue? With a very large bright red arrow over it pointing towards the seat saying "try me before you ride!" or something geeky like that. Could help a few people get in quicker.

They'd just get abused and not used for their intended purpose. I'm sure YOLO would be scratched onto them.

^^ I have always wondered why parks don't do that. Parks put videos up warning people about things like rollbacks on Rocket Coasters, but don't do videos that might expedite loading on confusing restraints.

Riddler could use a safety video similar to the one shown in GhostRider's queue.

Gotta wonder if they put a couple monitors in the stairwell and station with a animatic video of how to situate the restraints, that might help the situation?

They used to have a prerecorded spiel in its early days that worked pretty well in getting people settled in their seats the right way. I do have to say it's been over the past five or so years that they've had the worst problems with people locking improperly. But I don't know if that had anything to do with the spiel they played. No one else probably listened to it but me. The spiel went similar to something like this:

Something about opening gates, stand clear, then move to the furthest seat in your row. Stand in seat and adjust it to what's a comfortable position with feet flat on the floor, and knees straight. Pull down on your shoulder harness as far as possible. It is important that you remain standing, with both feet flat on the floor. Keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside at all times. Attendents will be coming by to check you. Enjoy your ride on The Riddler's Revenge.

^^ I have always wondered why parks don't do that. Parks put videos up warning people about things like rollbacks on Rocket Coasters, but don't do videos that might expedite loading on confusing restraints.

Good point! I've always liked the video in Xcelerator's station at Knott's. And not that Xcelerator's restraint system is confusing, but I do like that the video walks you through the loading procedure (ditto for GhostRider and Silver Bullet).

Not that Six Flags would ever spend the money to do so, but a CG Riddler introducing the safety vid and narrating it would be cool. Maybe get a tiny bit of theming and story from it... But who am I kidding?

I like this idea! But you're right, it probably won't happen. We can dream though!

I actually don't like the idea of leg restraints on X2. Although, yes, there is that one major rough spot at the bottom of the second raven turn, it's not unbearable; especially when you know it's coming. Other than that moment, I can't think of any other portion of the ride where it's uncomfortable to let your legs flail about in the ride. In fact, I think that's a big part of the thrill!

On a side note, I've noticed that I can move one leg across the seat so that both are on the same side, and I could, maybe, just maybe, slip out if I really tried. Obviously, I wouldn't try, but this happened to me on the last fly-to-lie before the brakes.

I totally want to go ride the bumper bikes! Bumper Bikes > YOLOcoaster and everything else combined (That is assuming this place is located in CA)

Holy crap, I never knew the place was near me! I guess I better get over there within the next few weeks to get that Vekoma and Ferris Square credit before they remove it!

^What do you mean? Today we had the first measurable rain since like early November. It's been really really dry.

In other news, I'm going to get out to the park this Saturday for an update. How crowded (like in terms of lots)do you think Saturday will be. I never go Saturdays because all the Saturdays I've been it's always been Insanely busy.

How crowded (like in terms of lots)do you think Saturday will be. I never go Saturdays because all the Saturdays I've been it's always been Insanely busy.

Last couple Saturdays the crowd gets there early as park does close at 6pm. So there is a early crowd rush but with simple planning by going opposite direction of the crowd Saturday should be a great day with showers off and on per Mark Kriski.

As your parking your car make notice if Scream, Lex and SEFK are warming up and then when (walking/taking tram) heading to main gate make notice if Tatsu, X2 and Viper are warming up and use that as a guide as to which way you head first.

My guess Saturday wont be crowded based on weather prediction and rain possible in the area.