TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I just think that theming this to Green Lantern is not the best choice, they could have themed it to Enigma, as it is in fact a big plain "E". But nevertheless I'm super-excited to get on this this summer on our California-trip.

Never having ridden one of these coasters and hearing about how the capacity will be on it, I have a question...I know there will be several cars, but is there only one car sent out at a time? or does the coaster have the ability to have several cars in motion on the track at any given time?

My understanding of the larger versions of this ride (like this one) is it is blocked and I believe there might also be a MCBR, I think on the 3rd level from the top where the car rides on top of the track, there is a straight section that looks to contain emergency/block/trim brakes. Never ridden one just going from the pics and video I've seen. If they can run multiple cars on it then it has to be blocked somehow.

That third level from the top is an acting full brake. It's a really smart brake and slows the train down if it's going too 'insane' or barely touches it if it's not. It can also fully stop the car if necessary. The lift can also act as a block.

Never having ridden one of these coasters and hearing about how the capacity will be on it, I have a question...I know there will be several cars, but is there only one car sent out at a time? or does the coaster have the ability to have several cars in motion on the track at any given time?

My understanding of the larger versions of this ride (like this one) is it is blocked and I believe there might also be a MCBR, I think on the 3rd level from the top where the car rides on top of the track, there is a straight section that looks to contain emergency/block/trim brakes. Never ridden one just going from the pics and video I've seen. If they can run multiple cars on it then it has to be blocked somehow.

That third level from the top is an acting full brake. It's a really smart brake and slows the train down if it's going too 'insane' or barely touches it if it's not. It can also fully stop the car if necessary. The lift can also act as a block.

^^

True....if you want to see it in action, take a look at its 'Insane' twin in Sweden. There seems to be only a half rotation towards the end. Hmmm, I read somewhere it depends on the rider weight and distribution. I hope SFMM figures a way to make the rotations more probable like in the promo video for Green Lantern.

^Or you could watch this better video!

I doubt there will be something 'installed' to spin it more, that would be a huge engineering change to the ride. We just have to hope they allow you to ride it unbalanced as opposed to Linnanmaki where they balanced the cars so well that it only went upside down once.

I can't wait! It looks great.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the ride was supposed to be 2 minutes long... this doesn't look like a 2 minute ride. Unless it takes 1.5 minutes to ascend the lift hill?

The duration covers the entire time you're in your seat, as in waiting for the ride to dispatch and then waiting to get out.

^I may be wrong, but I believe there are five. If that is the case, then at any given time during normal operation there is probably a car loading, a car unloading, a car waiting for the lift, a car on the lift, and a car coming down. I know the smaller model has three, but I would assume this one will have more than that.

I just think that theming this to Green Lantern is not the best choice, they could have themed it to Enigma, as it is in fact a big plain "E". But nevertheless I'm super-excited to get on this this summer on our California-trip.

Yeah, let's name it after a character nobody knows. Green Lantern, even without the movie, is one of the better known DC charaters. I'm looking forward to the whole DC universe change, should be really cool.

Yeah, let's name it after a character nobody knows. Green Lantern, even without the movie, is one of the better known DC charaters. I'm looking forward to the whole DC universe change, should be really cool.

Is it? As an european I don't have the same insight into the american comics market, but I do know Edward E. Nigma, also known as the Riddler... and there seem to be some other major attractions named after him... just saying. No offense.

On another topic, while looking at above video from Grona Lund I noticed that there's a danger in putting you arm into the disk on the inside, or that a foot could get stuck in there.. ?!

I've got the bug to ride more, took tomorrow off for my birthday, going to head up for a few hours to get on all my new favorites and some others I have not ridden yet (Viper, Goliath, Colossus, Deja Vu). Anyone else heading up?

Also does anyone know if there is an additional cost for the AAA event on Friday if you have a season pass?

Is it? As an european I don't have the same insight into the american comics market, but I do know Edward E. Nigma, also known as the Riddler... and there seem to be some other major attractions named after him... just saying. No offense.

So, you want them to have two coasters named after the Riddler? The GP has no idea who you are talking about when you say Enigma, most of them couldn't even identify Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Watching the video I'm very curious to hear how people like the ride. I've always had some problems with motion sickness, and just watching that video makes me think I would have a hard time with this one!

I've got the bug to ride more, took tomorrow off for my birthday, going to head up for a few hours to get on all my new favorites and some others I have not ridden yet (Viper, Goliath, Colossus, Deja Vu). Anyone else heading up?

Also does anyone know if there is an additional cost for the AAA event on Friday if you have a season pass?

AAA night is an additional $25, and I believe you have to pre-purchase your tickets.

I'm going with some friends of mine tonight, hoping the park won't be too busy. My friends haven't been to the park in like 7-8 years.

I heard AAA night was pretty dead last year.

Just a quick note for people planing on going to Magic Mountain via public transportation(which comes up from time to time here).

Starting in the fall, there probably will be a Flyaway bus that goes directly from LAX to to Magic Mountain(or close). It is not 100% confirmed yet, but chances are pretty good.

Of course this would make it rather easy to get from L.A. to the park for something like $6. with buses running every 30 min till late into the night(no more leaving the park at 4pm to catch Metrolink on your way back)

As a public transportation advocate I will keep you(of course) informed on the details as soon as they will be become avail....

Coming from Europe, I am a public transportation nerd. Even in L.A. I use it quite frequently, so when I have the time, I go to some of the public mta meetings where this was discussed

The Daily News mentioned it aswell

As said, nothing confirmed as of yet, but chances are pretty good...

Edit, for the quote(which comes from a "person in charge")

Those expansion plans may include the launch in 2011 of a FlyAway stop near the Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park in Valencia, said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of LAX.
Edited by alexinla

^The funniest part about that article is just how absurd the whole thing is and how it really doesn't work in this area of the country. 7 people per bus!?!? Millions in deficits!??! Yet they HAVE to do more routes?!?! Oh the amazingness of LA Public Transport.