TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Fear

Is anybody on here afraid of coasters? I know it's a stupid question on a coaster board. I love Roller Coasters but there are some that I probably wouldn't ride if given the chance. I kinda have a fear of heights. So rides like Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka are out of the question. Millineum Force is probably too high. In fact the tallest coaster I've ridden is Apollo's Chariot. We were at SFOG the other day and Goliath looked awesome, but no one else in my group wanted to ride and I didn't want to ride by myself. We are going back in the fall, so hopefully I'll get to ride. I also don't enjoy the free fall sensation, therfore coasters like Deja Vu(which is never running anyway) or Superman the Escape(SFMM) are probably no no's for me also. Call me a wuss, or whatever but a coaster doesn't have to be the tallest or fastest to be fun. Some of my personal favorites are considerd mild by todays standards. I have ridden some pretty good coasters like: Thunderhead, Hulk,Raven,Legend, Dueling Dragons,Kraken,etc. and there are many more that I would like to ride. But I have my limits. I was just wondering if I am alone in this or are there others out there with similar fears?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until last year, I was scared too, but once I get in line, I know there is no turning back. It actually helped me, and I forgot I was scared until the drop. This happened on a lot of coasters, and now I love to ride them more.

I just rode DejaVu for the first time and it was scary being pulled up that spike,but all I did was focus on the panel in front of me till they dropped us. Try focusing on something and that might help. It helped me, now I love DejaVu! Heights scare me too,but for some reason when I'm on a coaster I feel safe. When the harness is secure I'm good to go.....

The thing is with me the first time I used to be so scared of heights but after I rode Superman ROS when it came out in 1999 at SFDL and I was scared to death but I relised it was pretty cool being up there that high and rode again and eventually I just got used to heights like I have been CN Tower Skydeck and all that and it didn't bother me at all because of coasters.

Now I just admire the views. And thats another thing if your afraid of heights but want to keep your eyes open, don't focus towards the ground just look up and watch the views. Some are quite good.

I feel pretty much the same like you. I think its kind of a mind game between me and myself - this game is called "can I control my fear?" . O think this is part of the thrill - you are afraid but if you sre not afraid at all that wont be fun.

I think most of the coasters lovers are afraid but enjoy this fear. when this fear is a torture or anxiety this is too much but when you can overcome your fear this is enjoyable.

When it comes to coasters, no. I hate heights, but I can ride any coaster.

The only rides I think Im scared of is the 300ft skycoaster in Kissimmee, and the bungee slingshot type rides. I just dont feel safe on those!

I also hate heights but I can ride any coaster. Once in line, there is no turning back. Sometimes in enjoy the fear of heights and the anticipation to the ride. That is what makes a roller coaster sooo good !

I was scared of heights at a time but then after riding magnum,ttd,mf among other coasters helped me overcome it. Now I love flying in planes, helicopters, and just plain getting high up(LMAO).

I Agree I hate those things with the just cables or bungees.

I'm an acrophobe but will go on any roller coaster out there. I've been on Dragster and Ka and they didn't bother me at all. I guess I'm not really afraid of heights so much as I am afraid of being STUCK way up high... like S&S turbo drops bug me out, but I'll do them, the fear is part of the fun.

The launched Intamins rocket coasters over 400' are easier for me to ride than any large ferris wheel, skyride, turbo drop, or Intamin 2nd gen freefall.

growing up as a kid i wouldnt go on anything. i was afraid of all coasters. but when i was in my young 20's working at toys r us i met a girli liked. she invited me to great adventure. i was not gonna say no cause i liked her. i dont talk to her anymore but ya know what she cured me. i went on everything and i will now pretty much go on any coaster.

I still have that fear to some extent. Roller coasters don't seem to be too bad, but drop rides (except for Tower of Terror and turbo shots) scare the crap outta me. Acrophobia is still too scary for me, and if I even get the chance to ride Drop Zone, I would definately turn it down. People tell you to close your eyes, but that does not help at all to me.

When I rode drop zone at PKI years ago, I remember watching the ride cycle first and counting the seconds between the time it leaves the platform to the time it drops. I counted down in my head, it seemed to help a little with the anxiety. I have a feeling next year PKD's is going to give me a heart attack, because I'm scared to death of gyro drops but could never turn one down.

Swami. At least I give you credit for admitting that your afraid of heights and such. And the idea that you open a thread to discuss the issue is a good idea. In some cases, I have seen many people who are afraid of heights and will ride (some) coasters, some won't get near them, and yet sometimes try to face their fears and ride them-in hopes of getting rid of the height thing. Some people in society (mostly men..lol) won't admit to being afraid of heights, but when it comes time to go up a lift or even a roof on a house, they freeze halfway up. Mr. Macho has just left his ego at ground-level.

When I first left the operations/management side at BGE, I went into maintenance, mostly because I love the machinery/technology behind the rides and was facinated about working on them. My first assignment/job was to inspect-BBW/Nessie/Drachen Fire. At the time, heights did not bother me, in fact I ate lunch on Nessie's Loop (off-season) just because of the view..lol

During one year when the park was open, I was inspecting loop 1 (first/tallest) vertical loop on Nessie. It had rained the nite before and the catwalks were wet. As per the standard requirement, we had our safety belts on and such, but as soon as I stepped off the "ladder" part of the loop, I slipped and the safetybelt caught me, but I was literally "hanging".

I just froze for about 10 minutes (until my other co-worker came and helped me down). And for about the next 6+ yrs. or so, I was afraid of heights. I would still ride coasters, but actually closed my eyes (thinking about the Nessie incident that day). To help with my fears (and keep my job), I hired a professional therapist/hypnotist to help me "unblock" the trauma from my memory. It was expensive, but it sure worked.

Wow, great story. I love BGE. I was terrified to ride Apollo's Chariot. I had never seen a coaster that tall before. But when I rode it I was amazed at how good it was. But it seems as I get older(I'm 33) it seems the heights bother me a little more. I also have a little inner ear trouble which causes me to get nauseous on a lot of rides. Thank God for Dramamine I really appreciate all the reply's to this post. I'm glad to know that other enthusiast have similar fears. THANKS

^Interesting that you brought up the "inner-ear" scenario, because some medical journals now are saying fear of heights and the inner-ear play a big role together. Now, some women experiencing post-menopause are becoming afraid of riding coasters (when they loved them for a long time) and it relates to inner-ear problems.

It's quite interesting how bio-mechanics and medical studies are entering the amusement park arena and finding things about how we all act and react toward thrill rides/coasters, etc.

A-C is an awesome ride. It is just non-stop fun. I acutally like that much better than Alpengeist now(mainly in part the things that maintenance has neutered that ride in recent years-and I was a guilty party on that when I worked on that ride).

Well,my 12-yr.old niece is scared of anything that goes upside-down or has any inversions,but she and her two friends promised me that they will get on The Italian Job tomorrow(I'm one of the chaperones for the day!) So,I don't force them to go on anything that will make them afraid for the rest of their lives.

I'm afraid of heights, but they don't bother me if I'm strapped into a coaster train. I've met quite a few people who are the same way.

same with me, if i'm in a high hotel and I look out the window on the top floor I freak out, yet resently on Nitros lift I was looking sraight down at the Gadv Bone yard and I wasn't scared at all.

If you want to conquer your fear of coasters go to Disney and force your self onto RnR, i know many people who broke there fear on this coaster (including me), then repeat until you you get tired of watching that Pre-show.

I was terrified of coasters up until '99 when my brother forced me into the front row of The Incredible Hulk at IoA. After that we did the same on Dueling Dragsons and now I'm fine with heights (On roller coasters)

As for freefall type rides, I still don't like them. The ones that launch you up (Doctor Dooms) I don't mind at all... well, except maybe the stratosphere one, I don't think I'd ride that. But rides such as Acrophobia that take you up slowly, hold you, then drop you with no warning, I HATE those. I ride them anyways just to have that rush of fear. Ugh, and I"m going to be going on Drop Zone at PKI next summer

I was until June 18th this year. I would say, "It goes upside-down!" or "It's really tall"

But here's what helped me get over my fears:

1. Even though you don't want to ride, wait in line and hang out with your friends/family. This way, when you get into the station, you're not as nervous and feel more up to riding the ride.

2. You can make yourself get on the ride. For example: I said to myself, "Look, if you don't go on the rides this time, you'll regret it, just like last time. So get it over with and conquer your fears!"

3. Just try it. Waiting in line and going up the lift hill is torture, but after that, you'll be glad you rode the ride.

Also, once you get on the ride, the seat is usually comfortable. So just relax and focus on something while you're going up the lift hill. For example, on Raging Bull at SFGAm, I just laid my head back on the headrest and closed my eyes. On Batman: The Ride, I looked at the beautiful view of the park. It makes the lift hill seem a lot quicker.

Don't worry - TTD and Kingda Ka are two rides that I would NEVER go on.

hmmm last year when i went to great advenure i was pretty nervous about kingda ka. but after riding it, its really not that bad. i rode it again this year in fact i saw top thrill dragster on a tv special show thing. i want to ride that badly!

Isnt part of the fun on coasters and thrill rides being scared!? I know some people have said it but its true. The first time I rode Dragster, I was nervous/scared, but thats part of the fun. Same with RipCord, the fun part of the ride is slowly being dragged to the top, not swinging back and fourth.