TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Oh my god, this is AWESOME!!! I have been hoping for years to see HFEC get back into dark rides, and it looks like that is what they have their targets set on for DW (which means SDC will also get one afterwards!). I don't even care what option/vehicle gets picked, I just want something reliable, indoors, and immersive!

They are probably planning for both. It's been mentioned several times that Dollywood will announce their next long term investment plan soon because their last 10 plan has finished early

I'd like to see both! A nice dark ride and a new coaster. A flying ride is already coming to town sometime soon (at the island I believe, or the new neighboring development) so not sure Dollywood would do that. It would be the same ride that is already announced for town so unless Dollywood just wants to compete, I would think they will do something different. I'm not a fan of walk through attractions as I feel they get old quickly

As for coaster, we all know a spinning coaster is probably on the list BUT I'd love to see a true hyper at Dollywood! I like out and back styles and feel it would for great in the mountains. And Dollywood does like that "wow" effect when you see their coasters so a tall hyper would fit in.

It could also be both in one ride! Indoor coaster/dark ride, this is an option on the coaster survey. But technically isn't that blazing fury and I guess you can kind of consider parts of Mystery Mine a dark ride? So I see their next one being tamer.. I'm for a shooting ride personally.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

A smoky mountain themed flying theater is such a no-brainer for them. Obviously we all want crazy coasters but their demographics (especially during certain times of year) can trend MUCH older and basically anyone can ride one of those and it gives them an E-ticket attraction that can run in all weather and temperatures. If they want they can even swap out the film down the line or run special seasonal films for the different festivals.

I'd prefer a flying ride to the average shooting dark ride.

But a ride like Escape from Gringotts or Transformers: The Ride 3D would be great. Even better a robocoaster like HP Forbidden Journey.

How to theme to DW I don't know.

Flight through the Smokies is a no-brainer though.

Yeah but ones already coming to the area but two is always nice! And it would be a nicr way to compete

Looks like I was wrong about the first one and it's a tour over America so tour of the Smokies would be good

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbir.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&headline=new-flying-theater-ride-coming-to-the-island-in-pigeon-forge&contentId=51-8321a6ac-a6d9-49de-88e1-340b09c2f472

Edit: dang Tapatalk. If the link above doesn't work try

http://tinyurl.com/y3mflswo

But a ride like Escape from Gringotts or Transformers: The Ride 3D would be great. Even better a robocoaster like HP Forbidden Journey.

... I mean yeah, sure. How about a Journey to the Center of the Earth clone with a full blown Mount Prometheus too?

Looks like I was wrong about the first one and it's a tour over America so tour of the Smokies would be good

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbir.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&headline=new-flying-theater-ride-coming-to-the-island-in-pigeon-forge&contentId=51-8321a6ac-a6d9-49de-88e1-340b09c2f472

Edit: dang Tapatalk. If the link above doesn't work try

It's not TT, it's Google AMPed crap.

The actual link to WBIR works fine

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/new-flying-theater-ride-coming-to-the-island-in-pigeon-forge/51-8321a6ac-a6d9-49de-88e1-340b09c2f472

Didn't Dollywood used to have a motion simulator ride where you flew through the Smokies?
I don't recall one. There was the 4D Imagination Cinema that's now Dreamsong Theater (Dreamland Drive-In, My People)

Didn't Dollywood used to have a motion simulator ride where you flew through the Smokies?
I don't recall one. There was the 4D Imagination Cinema that's now Dreamsong Theater (Dreamland Drive-In, My People)
I believe that's what he was referring to. The second film in the 4D cinema was based on a flying contraption but wasn't a flying simulator like the survey has. It honestly didn't do well at Dollywood but a more advanced true flying sim might do better

The flying sim in the survey is like flight of passage in Avatar at Disney or Soarin at Disney and I'm sure there are others at other parks but those are two of the most popular

They did. I think it was her cousin Cleatus and you would board seats like the minions ride at universal.

I dunno. I don’t see a flight simulator as a “huge/major” addition. Something for 2020? Yes that could work. Kind of like one of the yearly additions. They seem to already be getting the ground ready just past Wildwood Grove, as there’s gravel spread out in a long patch. Like construction will start up there later this year.

Those flight Sims are fairly expensive and very popular at most places they go. Flight of Passage still has a two hour wait most of the time. Soarin has always been very popular. I'm also sure flight Sims at other parks are popular.

It would definitely be a major addition if added, at least I believe so. Especially if done right and not cheesed up with a stupid movie. It either needs to be fantasy (for Wildwood) or a nice tour of the Smokies or both. I'm not sure the Smokies have enough different to make it worthwhile though so fantasy would be nice

The flying sim in the survey is like flight of passage in Avatar at Disney or Soarin at Disney and I'm sure there are others at other parks but those are two of the most popular

Yeh I was thinking like Soarin' at Epcot based on the pictures. I think the same people that did HPFJ did it, Dynamic Attractions and RoboCoaster.

Yeah, I don't remember loving the old 4D theater. I am sure there is improved technology, but I feel like something with some actual movement, be it a shooter, walk through etc. would be better for my own personal taste. The park definitely will benefit from a proper dark ride if it comes to pass.

I dunno. I don’t see a flight simulator as a “huge/major” addition.

Soarin is so popular that as I type this it has the second highest wait time at the 3rd most popular theme park in America (#6 in the world) despite having the best capacity of any Tier 1 ride in the park but okay...

Yeah, I don't remember loving the old 4D theater. I am sure there is improved technology

Have you ridden modern flight sims like Soarin'?

Or motion controlled/robotic rides like HPFJ or Transformers?

Plus another indoor ride would be awesome on the cool days at Smoky Mountain Christmas. On those chilly days you only have Blazing Fury, shows, and Drop Line (because that ride apparently works until 5 degrees per the website lol).