TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lakemont Park changes

lol, Bill, took the words out of my mouth. There's no way no one pointed out to them that this was a bad idea. Wonder how much oil is still on the tracks.

Makes you wonder how serious they are about re-opening that coaster. I could see them only trying to re-open Leap The Dips at this rate.

• 1 month later...
In all seriousness, this park sucks but I like the 2 wood coasters so hopefully they turn things around. I'm highly in favor of them ripping everything else out and starting over though because... god damn. lol

My thoughts exactly. I really like the two coasters and if they left those in place and actually built up a solid FEC around them I think they'd have a winning product that would suit the area well for years to come.

:lol: I think you missed the joke.

In all seriousness, this park sucks but I like the 2 wood coasters so hopefully they turn things around. I'm highly in favor of them ripping everything else out and starting over though because... god damn. lol

Haha, yep, read it differently this time.

I knew they were selling toboggan even when they said they were keeping the coasters. It’s too bad. I really enjoyed it and all the classic rides they had. Like a vintage carnival with some heart and oh the world’s oldest operating coaster. I hope they make it and I’m sad they lost these rides. It is what it is though.

Leap the Dips was crazy though. Never thought a 9 foot drop could scare me so much. Great ride.

I know people generally adopt more favorable opinions of rides once enough parks remove then that they become incredibly rare and sometimes I get that but if I told you ten years ago that so many people (admittedly more on other coaster sites than here) would all of a sudden become huge Chance Toboggan fans you would have burst out laughing.

These rides suck, and they’ve always sucked. I never met a single person that liked these until like 2 years ago.

Edited by coasterbill

I knew they were selling toboggan even when they said they were keeping the coasters.

Seriously? Did you really think they were including the Toboggan when they said "coasters???"

No, as I stated, I did not think they were keeping it.

I was hopeful that they would keep it but not expecting them to at all. I know most people dislike the ride but I enjoyed it. Glad Little Amerricka still has theirs.

I know people generally adopt more favorable opinions of rides once enough parks remove then that they become incredibly rare and sometimes I get that but if I told you ten years ago that so many people (admittedly more on other coaster sites than here) would all of a sudden become huge Chance Toboggan fans you would have burst out laughing.

These rides suck, and they’ve always sucked. I never met a single person that liked these until like 2 years ago.

And anyone over the age of 12 who says they enjoy them, is full of sh1t and or mentally challenged.

Well, I just saw this. Wonder who bought it? Park/crazy individual who wants it for themselves?

Looks like we know what is replacing stinger at Dorney park

...I was only joking when I suggested that in another thread, but now I'm not 100% certain that they wouldn't actually...

• 1 month later...

Looks like Lakemont will in fact be reopening next year with three existing coasters:

www.wearecentralpa.com/news/wtaj-web-1st-lakemont-planning-to-reopen-in-2019/1474088406

Altoona, Pa. - Plans were unveiled Tuesday for the reopening of an historic local park.

The re-invented Lakemont Park is now slated to open to the public on Memorial Day Weekend 2019.

"We feel we're going back to the roots of what Lakemont Park used to be when it was established almost 125 years ago," said Andrea Cohen. "We're going to be making it a place where the community will want to be.

Andrea Cohen, representing the Devorris family, co-owners of the park, said the new Lakemont Park will step away from theme park entertainment and instead will focus on outdoor recreation and special events.

The new design will offer two miniature golf courses, four new basketball courts, two sand volleyball courts, and state of the art go-carts.

"We have a lot of green space, we'll have a lot of activities for families where they can pick what activities they want to do with their families. For example, we'll have three open gates," said Cohen.

It'll be free to get into the park, but there will be a charge for golfing and to ride some of the old favorites.

"We'll have roller coasters, we'll have the Skyliner and the world's oldest roller coaster, the Lead the Dips will still be there, we'll have the Tin Lizzy's," said Cohen.

The water play area will also remain. Plans for the re-invented park, which by law, must remain a park for the community, gets the full endorsement of the Blair County Commissioners.

"I think they've taken a very innovative approach in the fact that they're no longer going to be a competing amusement park. They're going to look at different ways to make it a public park, a people-friendly park," said Ted Beam, Blair County Commissioner.

The owners promise, when the new Lakemont Park opens, entry will be free and there will be something for everyone to enjoy.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nice! I'm stoked to get there on my Western PA trip next year. So glad that both coasters are finally confirmed safe and set to operate again.

I was kind of hoping they would have more... something though to make the park more appealing and fresh though. They are basically advertising empty green spaces and volley ball courts. I guess they cut out the "fluff" and that will help them stay above water. The coasters, train, go-karts, and mini-golf are all star attractions on their own rights.

We just had The Gathering Place open up in Tulsa, and that has totally redefined "park" for me. It's literally such a nice outdoor space that thousands of people come to hang out there every day. You don't get that at many random parks. Granted, Gathering Place cost like $450 million, but I think you could do some similar things for a lot cheaper.

Unlike a lot of folks, I was pretty optimistic about the reopening (if not necessarily the continued survival of the park). This news still comes as a relief. Negative reviews aside, I would've rather visited this place as the amusement park it was, but business-wise it sounds like this new iteration will be an improvement.

We just had The Gathering Place open up in Tulsa, and that has totally redefined "park" for me. It's literally such a nice outdoor space that thousands of people come to hang out there every day. You don't get that at many random parks. Granted, Gathering Place cost like $450 million, but I think you could do some similar things for a lot cheaper.

My goodness, I am SO interested in Gathering Place. If I do a central US trip in the future it's definitely slotting in between Silver Dollar City and Six Flags Over Texas, and I'm giving it and the city of Tulsa a full day.

As for Lakemont Park, I'm totally on board with the renovation. I would love to see more traditional park-parks incorporate more amusement / theme park stuff. After all, riding a roller coaster is really just another way that people like to play.