TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm a bit late on this, but thank you to those who posted all of the the great pictures! Anyone else see the theming of the buildings in Thunderbird Plaza and feel like they were looking at SDC or Dollywood? It's great to see such an emphasis on theme.

Now while this has nothing to do with Thunderbird or The Voyage, I wanted to thank Holiday World for something that I noticed last season during HWN. As someone in a wheelchair, new tables at the different food locations around the park were installed that do not have a bench on one of the four sides so that someone in a wheelchair can roll up and eat comfortably. In the last three years it seems that I've grown accustomed to not being able to eat at a table comfortably at a lot of places to the point where I don't even notice it anymore. However, that little thing that HW did to make the park more accessible got me almost more excited than the coasters. The only place that I didn't see them was the picnic grove, which wasn't a big deal because an end of one of the tables works just fine.

Paula, if you see this, would you please pass along my appreciation to Matt, Lori, Leah, Lauren, and whoever else is there? I know that investing in accessible features that will only be used by less than 1% of your Guests might seem pointless to some, but it seriously made my day to see them. Since then, I was actually able to discuss it with the Director of Ops & Park President at our park to install similar tables and other improvements for Guests with disabilities. I'm sad to miss HWN this year, but I can't wait to ride Thunderbird soon!

I'm a bit late on this, but thank you to those who posted all of the the great pictures! Anyone else see the theming of the buildings in Thunderbird Plaza and feel like they were looking at SDC or Dollywood? It's great to see such an emphasis on theme.

Now while this has nothing to do with Thunderbird or The Voyage, I wanted to thank Holiday World for something that I noticed last season during HWN. As someone in a wheelchair, new tables at the different food locations around the park were installed that do not have a bench on one of the four sides so that someone in a wheelchair can roll up and eat comfortably. In the last three years it seems that I've grown accustomed to not being able to eat at a table comfortably at a lot of places to the point where I don't even notice it anymore. However, that little thing that HW did to make the park more accessible got me almost more excited than the coasters. The only place that I didn't see them was the picnic grove, which wasn't a big deal because an end of one of the tables works just fine.

Paula, if you see this, would you please pass along my appreciation to Matt, Lori, Leah, Lauren, and whoever else is there? I know that investing in accessible features that will only be used by less than 1% of your Guests might seem pointless to some, but it seriously made my day to see them. Since then, I was actually able to discuss it with the Director of Ops & Park President at our park to install similar tables and other improvements for Guests with disabilities. I'm sad to miss HWN this year, but I can't wait to ride Thunderbird soon!

Excellent post this really makes me happy to read! Awesome you were able to implement some changes at your park, and it really is wonderful to see parks that truly care like HW.

Quick survey I guess: How many people are going/will be to Holiwood Nights, is it worth it and how long are tickets usually on sale for?

My friend and I thought this, too. The whole area had a Dollywood-esque feel. I even joked that it was like we parked at Holiday World and walked to Dollywood.

Quick survey I guess: How many people are going/will be to Holiwood Nights, is it worth it and how long are tickets usually on sale for?

From my experience, HWN is definitely more than worth it. I would check the official webpage, but usually tickets are on sale all the way up to check-in at the park (if you are willing to pay the dreaded procrastination tax). I'm sure this year will be more crowded than some previous events, due to Thunderbird, but you will get more than enough time to enjoy the coasters (steel, wooden, and water) without much time waiting.

Besides that though, HWN was always special to us for the welcoming environment created by the Kochs, Matt, Paula, and the rest of the staff. Their crazy antics, puns, and interactions make it truly special (as if the food like the free fudge wasn't enough already). I know there has been some less-than-flattering talk about some people at the park, which is really sucky to see. I have said a few ignorant & critical things in the past, which I truly regret, so I can personally say that if you just go over and talk to Matt, Lori, Eric, Leah, Lauren, Paula & whoever, they really love talking to people who share the same passion for their park. If you see them standing around (usually enjoying some refreshing Pepsi beverages), just go up and introduce yourself. Once you get to know the people behind the park and they get to know you, the whole event and park itself just takes on a completely different feeling. If you go to HWN, ride the rides, eat the food, and make some new professional & enthusiast friends, but in the end you don't think that it was worth it or just another regular "enthusiast" event, I will personally reimburse your ticket price.

Changing the subject, I also thought the detail in the sign for the Pepsi Oasis where they used the old Pepsi bottle cap logo and made it look weathered is really cool to see!

From my experience, HWN is definitely more than worth it. I would check the official webpage, but usually tickets are on sale all the way up to check-in at the park (if you are willing to pay the dreaded procrastination tax). I'm sure this year will be more crowded than some previous events, due to Thunderbird, but you will get more than enough time to enjoy the coasters (steel, wooden, and water) without much time waiting.

Besides that though, HWN was always special to us for the welcoming environment created by the Kochs, Matt, Paula, and the rest of the staff. Their crazy antics, puns, and interactions make it truly special (as if the food like the free fudge wasn't enough already). I know there has been some less-than-flattering talk about some people at the park, which is really sucky to see. I have said a few ignorant & critical things in the past, which I truly regret, so I can personally say that if you just go over and talk to Matt, Lori, Eric, Leah, Lauren, Paula & whoever, they really love talking to people who share the same passion for their park. If you see them standing around (usually enjoying some refreshing Pepsi beverages), just go up and introduce yourself. Once you get to know the people behind the park and they get to know you, the whole event and park itself just takes on a completely different feeling. If you go to HWN, ride the rides, eat the food, and make some new professional & enthusiast friends, but in the end you don't think that it was worth it or just another regular "enthusiast" event, I will personally reimburse your ticket price.

Thanks! I need a couple of weeks to figure this out and plan to do KI as well, so I was wondering if tickets may sell out, but seems this shouldn't be an issue.

I personally haven't seen any of this unflattering talk, perhaps I've just missed it, but fear not none of that plays into my thoughts anyway. Seems like a friendly and welcoming park to me.

Also, guess I'm hoping to get an idea how many TPRers will be there, since I'd be hauling my self to Indiana and know no one out there, I'd need some park buddies

"I will personally reimburse your ticket price. " I am a poor grad student who's had to move back home for the time being and sell my soul to the bank, I'd seriously take you up on that offer

So I went to Holiday World today with my brother and got to ride Thunderbird 8x. I thought the left side was the best, but the right side seemed better for the last inversion thru the broken barn building. The ride itself was awesome and top notch. I have now been on three of the four B and M winged coasters in the US. The one I am missing is Wild Eagle. I'd say Thunderbird is the best. I enjoy Gatekeeper a lot though and I know a lot of you don't. I thought the ride was a totally different experience as Thunderbird is low to the ground which is pretty cool. Thunderbird is very short, but it is all punch. Which is true about every coaster at Holiday World. I live in Indiana and I had never been to Holiday World, but have been to 20 plus parks now. I think the Voyage is my new favorite Wooden Coaster, but I am still very partial to the Beast at night. I was not there for anything but the coasters to be honest. I went without my kids as such, but I think they would love the park a lot. My ranking of rides there 1. Voyage, 2. Thunderbird, 3. Legend(surprised me had a lot of punch), 4. Raven. I know a lot love the Raven, but this is how it worked for me. The Voyage completed me riding all the top ten coasters from Travel Channel's Insane Coaster Wars season 1 top ten. So that was kinda cool. Thanks for those who I talked to on here earlier for the information on seats on Thunderbird, etc and getting me to go!

Edited by kristenstep23

If I had money to actually pledge, I would also put up the claim that if you don't LOVE HW after visiting I would recoup your ticket price. It's just one of those places.... Almost hard to explain.. And even harder for those who have never been there to understand.

^ Actually, the prices didn't go up from last year.

I was planning on visiting today until I went to go submit my 20 page research paper for my holocaust class last night. Much to my dismay, when I went to submit it, there was no file for it. So yeah, you can kind of guess how my day as went, especially with a 8:00 p.m. deadline. Luckily, I have next Sunday off and will be visiting the park then. I saw a few posts on Holiday World's FB page and it looks like I missed out on a good day to visit. Also, someone posted picture on HW's FB confirming that they did indeed put a Strike-U-Up where Sparkler was located.

^ Actually, the prices didn't go up from last year.

I was planning on visiting today until I went to go submit my 20 page research paper for my holocaust class last night. Much to my dismay, when I went to submit it, there was no file for it. So yeah, you can kind of guess how my day as went, especially with a 8:00 p.m. deadline. Luckily, I have next Sunday off and will be visiting the park then. I saw a few posts on Holiday World's FB page and it looks like I missed out on a good day to visit. Also, someone posted picture on HW's FB confirming that they did indeed put a Strike-U-Up where Sparkler was located.

Yes the weather was very similar to Media Day on Thursday with few clouds in the sky as well as low level crowds. The Strike-U-Up (I think it was called Stars and Stripes Showdown) costs $5 to play, but it was not ready for operation just yet. Today I managed to get in another 10 laps on Thunderbird to bring my count to 46. It was a great day to be out in the park!

Edited by Koasterking48

If I had money to actually pledge, I would also put up the claim that if you don't LOVE HW after visiting I would recoup your ticket price. It's just one of those places.... Almost hard to explain.. And even harder for those who have never been there to understand.

I think you're forgetting that the wonderful thing about the internet is that you can say and promise whatever you want without having to follow through. Kinda like being a fifth term, white, US Senator.

I thought it was 39.99 for the day and it was 44.99 at the gate now. Same thing with TPRs members forum

Price was 5 higher than what it said. I don't know much about what it really was as I have never been there was just a bit more than I had planned. I did get an EXCELLENT deal with great weather and low crowds today!

I knew it was too good to be true

Well also I see HWN is open only to members of the enthusiast groups so I'd need to sign up for Club TPR, though that might be worth it in itself. But yeah, ya have won me over. I'll be going this year one way or another, hopefully for HWN but if not I'll just trek out there on my own trip.

Thanks to everyone for posting awesome pics from Thunderbird's opening weekend. Thunderbird looks great! I plan to visit HW for the first time in September. I'm really looking forward to their awesome wooden coaster collection and waterpark. HW has always been on my radar, but for some reason, I've always skipped going. But seeing how I've rode every wingrider in America so far, I got to keep it going. So, I'm definitely making it to the park this year. I'm a fan of wingriders. Was very disappointed in Cedar Point's Gatekeeper because it's so slow. It's a shame SFGAm's little ole X-Flight whips big ole Gatekeeper's A$$...but it does. But the best so far has been Dollywood's Wild Eagle. So, I'm really looking forward to see how Thunderbird stacks up against the other three.

Wow... I totally think Gatekeeper is superior to XFlight. That being said I haven't been to Dollywood for Wild Eagle. Of the three I have been on Id say Thunderbird, Gatekeeper, XFlight. I still don't see why everyone doesn't like Gatekeeper. Love it.

I guess I just need to give up on this!

TPR attended the Thunderbird media day last week, which I have to say was one of the best media events we’ve been to! I’ll chat more about that a bit later in this report….

As for the ride itself, Thunderbird is smooth, rides through the course at a good speed and the launch gives you quite a kick! In short, it’s a LOT of fun! It’s probably no secret that I haven’t been the biggest fan of most recent B&M installations or wing coasters, but this one at least does it right and took me by surprise.

The launch does deliver the thrill you’d expect and each inversion on the layout seems perfectly placed to give the right balance of being thrilling and enjoying flying through the woods at high speed. Thunderbird also carries a 52” height restriction which means it’s low enough to catch some younger riders and they are going to think this is the best thing they’ve ever ridden! Jaded die-hard coaster enthusiasts may not be totally blown away with the ride, but the demographic the park is aiming at is going to absolutely LOVE IT, and even those harder-to-please coaster nerds will have a smile on their face throughout the entire ride. Oh, and let’s not forget the fantastic looking station, queue, pre-launch theming, and the area around the ride really adds to the feel of the attraction.

Overall, Thunderbird is a huge WIN for the park!

The park also had their three woodies open for us, Raven, Legend, and Voyage. All three of which I’m sure you know about, probably most of you have ridden many, many times.

I took one ride on Voyage, and…look…I get that it has a HUGE following and has won loads of awards. That’s awesome. It’s just not my kind of ride. The first three hills on Voyage are incredible and where I think the ride really shines, but after that, it just throws you around too much for my tastes. Those that love it, I’m glad it’s there for you, but you’ll find me either at Thunderbird, at the other woodies, or in their amazing water park!

Raven & Legend on the other hand, holy cow! Raven was running FANTASTIC even for “day rides” and this coaster is even more insane at night! Yes it’s much much smaller compared to it’s giant Voyage cousin but I think that’s what I like about it. The ride is quick, snappy, fast-paced and never lets up! For me, I’d rather have a ride that leaves you wanting more rather than one you want to have end sooner.

Legend is right in the middle of the two, and man, I had forgotten how good this ride can be! The last time I was at the park I never got to ride it, and the time before that I just don’t think it was running that well, but today, it was hauling throughout the course and was tons of fun!

We came away with so much video and tons of photos that I’m having a hard time deciding what to post first! I’ll be posting series of Holiday World videos over the next couple of months so keep an eye out for them on our YouTube channel and Facebook page.

I just want to take a moment to talk about the things that the park did “right” that seem to be such simple things that I would love to see other parks do as well.

1. Embargoed video! This is so important! Holiday World released the footage to us the night before so we could get our videos edited and stories together and embargoed it until the following mooring. This was a HUGE help! Usually we are running around like crazy at a media event uploading because we will not get the B-Roll until the day of the event. Having it the night before made our day so much more stress-free!

2. Allowing media to shoot on the star attraction as well as other key attractions in the park. Yes, they had mounts for us, but they also were allowing us to safely mount cameras to get specific shots we needed. Not all media requires the exact same footage. This, along with the B-Roll gave us the opportunity to have something ready the day of the event and then also a follow-up story later.

3. Event was not over-crowded. So often we see events with hundreds of riders. While on one hand that’s great to ensure you have enough riders to fill the trains for media shots (you want full trains of happy riders on TV shots and video featured on social channels) but the bigger the crowds, the more difficult it can be to allow flexibility in getting the shots you need. I felt there was the perfect amount of people at this event!

4. Backstage tour - It wasn’t a very long behind the scenes tour, but it didn’t need to be. It was just long enough to get the shots we needed that you can’t get from normal guest areas. Again, such a simple, easy to do to thing that so many parks don’t even think about doing, or will flat out say no when you ask.

5. Media Center with Wi-Fi - We see this at the “bigger parks” like Disney, Universal, etc, but not that often at smaller or regional park media days. And what an easy idea! A few tables set up in their backstage employee area and wi-fi access so those who want to upload or do a story during the event can do so.

6. Short dedication/opening speech - They spoke for less than 5 minutes and did all the necessary thank yous and opening stuff you'd expect. I've been at park media days where they talk for 20-30 minutes, sometimes more. Seriously, who's gonna watch that? Keep it sort, to the point, and get the ride open! That's what we are there for!

So to wrap things up - The entire day was fantastic! Thunderbird, the media event, the staff at the park, etc, all exceeded expectations!

Huge thank yous to Holiday World!

—Robb Alvey

First off, Thunderbird POV!

thunderbird_media_01.thumb.jpg.c89771b21b2086eda71196ce3a992fd6.jpg

Hooray! I have arrived in Indiana! Only a short drive away to Holiday World!

thunderbird_media_02.thumb.jpg.16044476ca538f7ca40e30b608c8e29f.jpg

That evening, Thunderbird waved hello to me on my way to the hotel.

thunderbird_media_03.thumb.jpg.908ed0d56f0d0865b825b9367141d51d.jpg

The next morning (and it was a VERY early morning), I picked up my credentials and was ready to ride!

thunderbird_media_04.thumb.jpg.a01dc4172e7105ec7cbdc66a0fe70a73.jpg

The sun had not even come up yet and it was cool to see the ride in that pre-sunrise light.

thunderbird_media_05.thumb.jpg.049e0279b1af8ea1ef07c966e4a60f63.jpg

When we got to the ride, they were doing some early-morning testing.

thunderbird_media_06.thumb.jpg.7701b2e532c297686173ef4e41a72e44.jpg

Even got to see the test some roll backs! That was pretty cool!

thunderbird_media_07.thumb.jpg.6cabcc11b469714147bc283df1411a16.jpg

Taking a quick sneak peek in the station. Was really impressed with all the theming around the ride.

thunderbird_media_08.thumb.jpg.44b2ddfdb89d034b1bbea5ba32f630c4.jpg

Yay! The sun is starting to rise behind Thunderbird!

thunderbird_media_09.thumb.jpg.8510127cf825897fe53b42952221f25d.jpg

Here's a few shots of the ride testing with that "morning glow" lightning!

thunderbird_media_10.thumb.jpg.dd5a3b6ca3ff44307a035181bcd5284d.jpg

Looks awesome....I want to ride!

thunderbird_media_11.thumb.jpg.bff04e85a6815f51020be4fc4e422118.jpg

Holiday World park president, Matt Eckert, says a few short words, thank yous, etc, and then it's launch time!

thunderbird_media_12.thumb.jpg.154d0bba6b77b0fdd0572df9570096d8.jpg

There launches the first rides! They bid in an auction that went to benefit Give Kids The World! Go Team TPR!

thunderbird_media_13.thumb.jpg.0ff276eaaa8f73873e1211e2c62a817d.jpg

First riders doing loop-de-loop!

thunderbird_media_14.thumb.jpg.69fec6707d56a4c9cd5fe97a6a07b7d3.jpg

As for the ride itself, the launch really has a kick to it! Seriously, B&M needs to launch more of their coasters!

thunderbird_media_15.thumb.jpg.2633be1b1901fa6e77180793a6b80f76.jpg

The loop was fun, had some nice positive Gs to it.

thunderbird_media_16.thumb.jpg.1782544cf03bfbb487b2c8b6ad3e022e.jpg

Even coming out of the first inversion down what is sort of the "first drop" on the ride you felt a good amount of speed.

thunderbird_media_17.thumb.jpg.3f5b93e56219ce4922c4031b70c0ed90.jpg

Love this shot of Thunderbird launching through the sun!

thunderbird_media_18.thumb.jpg.e53b4acbc679cedacf3a8deff658252a.jpg

The whole ride is smooth, fast, and very well paced!

thunderbird_media_19.thumb.jpg.3c2b1c9210a5993bec27023291c747bc.jpg

Ever wondered what happens if the ride lost power?

thunderbird_media_20.thumb.jpg.78876d9dd6227e11d0030cd1190b9958.jpg

They have a back-up option!

thunderbird_media_21.thumb.jpg.999ce9b8152eb521636defe32654e2a3.jpg

But it doesn't matter what I think of the ride...what's important is that Santa Claus gives it two huge thumbs up!

thunderbird_media_22.thumb.jpg.0f86385a777cf198565ea601e60eb06b.jpg

If Holiday World charged money to "ride with Santa" they would make a killing! lol

This video of Santa Riding Thunderbird is completely AWESOME!

thunderbird_media_23.thumb.jpg.253dcc11519faacfa142cf6858393612.jpg

Here is some of the merchandise. "Orange is the new Track" may very well just be the most clever coaster phrase I've ever heard!

thunderbird_media_24.thumb.jpg.0e633fc4a7e0c85fac8b4f711b5bbef8.jpg

Want more loop-de-loop? Here you go!

thunderbird_media_25.thumb.jpg.62f814f57a459e8bbed57e2b251782f2.jpg

I've always been a fan of B&M inversions, and this zero-g roll was pretty good!

thunderbird_media_26.thumb.jpg.11a35af7f42f6efd89721b074e8ba054.jpg

The ride is very graceful in it's curves and transitions into the elements. It gives you enough time to enjoy flying through the woods before you hit the next inversion.

thunderbird_media_27.thumb.jpg.d1772333f94a9c2994a67353a3bce539.jpg

Taking a look backwards on the launch track just before you hit the first inversion.

thunderbird_media_28.thumb.jpg.24ab3759eaf297a2772a53129713cf56.jpg

I rode in the front, middle, and back, but I think I preferred the back row. (You can see Cameron looks stunned!)

thunderbird_media_29.thumb.jpg.f7012a35f4f18e29acae7df1a2fbdce8.jpg

Since coaster enthusiasts like to eat, we opted to skip the lunch line in favor of getting a few more photos...

thunderbird_media_30.thumb.jpg.40bbefc32122d07e63f92a82bfb752d5.jpg

Hey look! I ran into Matt Eckert! Congrats on the new coaster! it's fantastic!

thunderbird_media_31.thumb.jpg.ca27f08c9e93b2fd925c44f8313a9050.jpg

Here's a shot of the Thunderbird plaza with nobody in it! I'll bet you won't see this too often!

thunderbird_media_32.thumb.jpg.0ec362fac1dccae9e4df93679e588b82.jpg

Once in the queue, you have to choose thy fate! Are you a left or right wing kind of person?

thunderbird_media_33.thumb.jpg.194a72c0fddbdaee96f49d508a282402.jpg

Another look at the Thunderbird area. So well done.

thunderbird_media_34.thumb.jpg.cc2a6c2bf3d0925c169ec3525ea70bb7.jpg

The "Will Power" building is what creates "launch time!"

thunderbird_media_35.thumb.jpg.7cf5d486311e1692ec66c986cd55bdce.jpg

And here's a look at the whole plaza area from the ride!

thunderbird_media_36.thumb.jpg.8f9161d0e8cfa8699a4056f288d9aa73.jpg

I don't know why, but I love this shot of the train and the windmill!

thunderbird_media_37.thumb.jpg.f1e35c0ac5cc18a9ad4c33256a4b36f0.jpg

Hung out with the crew from Purdue's Theme Park Engineering & Design group! These guys were awesome!

thunderbird_media_38.thumb.jpg.2093e7844a290eba32246c3dd5a70e8c.jpg

Purdue's TPED having too much fun on Crow's Nest! lol

thunderbird_media_39.thumb.jpg.48cbcf72dd209047a58540728d1c8db4.jpg

And since it's a wing coaster, you gotta have some "keyholing" right? The one over the barn was pretty cool.

thunderbird_media_40.thumb.jpg.d0274d5740c5ec022d11705cef034db0.jpg

From the ride, you can get some really funky views of Voyage!

thunderbird_media_41.thumb.jpg.05bf17c53857fadb4093ce655f021e96.jpg

And this gives you an idea of how close to the rides are to each other.

thunderbird_media_42.thumb.jpg.60a0c77ebdf751ee514862b8b4450344.jpg

This was the only shot I got of both Thunderbird and Voyage the whole day!

thunderbird_media_43.thumb.jpg.3c185719ebf7f187f8087746841b38aa.jpg

And yes...the ride is TWISTY!

thunderbird_media_44.thumb.jpg.886393778ce0db284f643584451733d8.jpg

I don't think you can ever have too many shots of Thunderbird crashing through the barn!

thunderbird_media_45.thumb.jpg.8973caca5e5597120fa5c7329c7d7217.jpg

Thunderbird ice cream FTW!

thunderbird_media_46.thumb.jpg.ba232ea5e0270231a2cd32d294927824.jpg

Cameron knows his place.... Ice cream in one hand, camera in the other!

thunderbird_media_47.thumb.jpg.02d5ada87342a1101df867af25ccfd28.jpg

And here's the skyline of the park now as you drive in!

thunderbird_media_48.thumb.jpg.79aee61f3632120d8f1978f3ad20f127.jpg

Hello Voyage, how are you doing?

thunderbird_media_49.thumb.jpg.b389291e9f95e5f11cd801fe4f09e170.jpg

Look, it's nothing personal, we just aren't going to be friends. It's not you, it's me....

thunderbird_media_50.thumb.jpg.e6b0ed2c9339d305d34a37df077f212f.jpg

But these guys LOVE it...so all is good!

thunderbird_media_51.thumb.jpg.0b17a2f2138f43cac542e15976a4fd9d.jpg

Voyage doing it's thing....

thunderbird_media_52.thumb.jpg.1924bd7c114bc96984518610a4bf6bbe.jpg

Actually, some of my favorite shots of Thunderbird came from The Voyage!

thunderbird_media_53.thumb.jpg.63eb50e9033a92bbe9f6f1558254a202.jpg

That looks just awesome!

thunderbird_media_54.thumb.jpg.d0d6b901a703cebf0905e99d886b1ffb.jpg

Flying back under the station!

thunderbird_media_55.thumb.jpg.c4e995b732ca13f169ca7074758129f2.jpg

Raven...WOW! Twenty years old this year and you'd never know it!

thunderbird_media_56.thumb.jpg.f6cb97cdc7638da58c6619586a0aeeea.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this ride...day or night...and night rides are simply breathtaking!

thunderbird_media_57.thumb.jpg.9a4a52abef4874c0348505b94ee60aa3.jpg

This turn over Lake Rudolph is still one of my favorite coaster moments!

thunderbird_media_58.thumb.jpg.0ffc4c109c32b0f0f6463e2c9406266a.jpg

Have a great ride, guys!

thunderbird_media_59.thumb.jpg.2ebc9fae8648cc373ef273f0e8b6e931.jpg

The Legend was also running amazing today!

thunderbird_media_60.thumb.jpg.c3f577b418faf63f68edc23de9116ae0.jpg

From the top of the first drop, you can see Voyage and Thunderbird in the background.

thunderbird_media_61.thumb.jpg.d1c77a0efc1368ceea3b99ca1aa34904.jpg

Ducking under and over the water park rides is one of my favorite moments on Legend!

thunderbird_media_62.thumb.jpg.68e6507bd6427d15a0058c64094c79db.jpg

Overall, Thunderbird is a huge WIN for Holiday World! It's fast, it's smooth, it's fun...has a great kick to it, and the park guests are going to LOVE it!

thunderbird_media_63.thumb.jpg.197b4774f60d6818f5228edc3281b30f.jpg

Huge kudos to Paula, Eric, and all the marketing team for putting together such an incredible event! THANK YOU!!!!

thunderbird_media_64.thumb.jpg.470f65e6977b3f71b37174f9918bd681.jpg

I have to just mention this for a moment...

thunderbird_media_65.thumb.jpg.a218bb255749a5fa9b00dc3e3b5490dc.jpg

The night before the media event, Cameron and I were looking for something "different" in the area, and we found it! This place called "Schnizelbank" is a little bit of Germany in a very unexpected place...Jasper, Indiana!

thunderbird_media_66.thumb.jpg.86e456765c773531671731cfc2f47e65.jpg

Of course I'm the girl! lol

thunderbird_media_67.thumb.jpg.4ec773e644e1c8261d4bdcdfb82641b1.jpg

Yes, this is in Indiana...

thunderbird_media_68.thumb.jpg.4f4d04cef31369757cf7a254123aa91c.jpg

We could be in Germany...but we aren't...we are in Indiana.

thunderbird_media_69.thumb.jpg.b0432c5c431d4c255f302884637bf1ff.jpg

The menu includes some legit German and Bavarian dishes.

thunderbird_media_70.thumb.jpg.2e8094d9909f681a3906b482fc029f40.jpg

Looks good!

thunderbird_media_71.thumb.jpg.b18c07291c8410d15aa21b336eeb29d0.jpg

Cameron...DIG IN!

thunderbird_media_72.thumb.jpg.b7550782b40972619617a5ff54db1a2c.jpg

Heavy? Yes!

thunderbird_media_73.thumb.jpg.da34056523140359b21b06f47d3cb525.jpg

But soooo good!

thunderbird_media_74.thumb.jpg.0985a02979a451ad25a1090a43db9eab.jpg

With lots of different beers in stock....

thunderbird_media_75.thumb.jpg.2b962e23323f27ee0e8fec022bbdeb02.jpg

...and a totally tacky and awesome looking bar...

thunderbird_media_76.thumb.jpg.fda8f74b2f57d7a131d6c8b29612e784.jpg

This place was pretty awesome...

thunderbird_media_77.thumb.jpg.70ef7caa461fdd8964f7cd2fe5e08796.jpg

...and a recommended stop when you're going to ride Thunderbird! (and you better go ride!)

Edited by robbalvey

Great coverage of the event, Robb! And Thunderbird looks absolutely gorgeous!

Not to mention the ride itself, by the looks of the POV. Yes, another hit for HW!

And by the way, I think I found a new logo for The Smiler...

thumb_thunderbird_media_71.jpg.612af22cc9c99803a99ef53354efc0a9.jpg

Just want to thank everyone for their photos and reviews of Thunderbird. It's great to read that Holiday World got a great addition to the park. I hope to visit this year.

I've been wondering - does anyone think the shorter trains make a difference compared to the longer trains on X Flight and Gatekeeper?

3. Event was not over-crowded. So often we see events with hundreds of riders. While on one hand that’s great to ensure you have enough riders to fill the trains for media shots (you want full trains of happy riders on TV shots and video featured on social channels) but the bigger the crowds, the more difficult it can be to allow flexibility in getting the shots you need. I felt there was the perfect amount of people at this event!

The second group (a.k.a. non-media) on the backstage tour actually ran into the "problem" of having no riders for hardly any of our shots! Regardless, the tour was short, but sweet and the angles up-close were good. Plus, the lack of people means more re-rides!

It was great to meet you by the way, and I'm glad everyone at the event liked the ride. It perfectly caters to the exact audience it was intended to be built for.